Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-22-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Goin' down to South Park... Season 10 discussion

Wow, I don't know which is harder to believe, that it's already been 10 seasons, or that it lasted past the first few episodes!

Well, tonight, at 10pm Eastern/9 Central, the new season begins. And based on all of the stuff in the press last week about Chef and Scientology, I expect some pretty extreme skewering to go on tonight.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:11 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

SPOILERS POSSIBLY BELOW

Preview as taken from Comcast..

The 10th season begins with the homecoming of chef Jerome McElroy, though the kids notice he's not quite the same.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:12 PM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Wow, I don't know which is harder to believe, that it's already been 10 seasons, or that it lasted past the first few episodes!

Well, tonight, at 10pm Eastern/9 Central, the new season begins. And based on all of the stuff in the press last week about Chef and Scientology, I expect some pretty extreme skewering to go on tonight.

Supposedly Isaac Hayes had a stroke earlier this year, so the whole "quitting due to scientology" thing is a bit suspect. That April fools day terrence and phillip episode still pisses me off when i think about it.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
That April fools day terrence and phillip episode still pisses me off when i think about it.

Sounds like you got "F"ed in the "A"
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:07 PM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This is brilliant.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:09 PM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
This is brilliant.

Ditto! I'm laughing my ass off!
Old 03-22-2006, 09:11 PM   #7
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Jubes...

priceless
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:12 PM   #8
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

"Chef's been brainwashed..."

Hehehe
Old 03-22-2006, 09:20 PM   #9
Ksyrup

Best. Episode. Ever.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-22-2006, 09:20 PM   #10
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

OH MY GOD! HILARIOUS!

"This is what Super Adventure Club Actually Believes"
Old 03-22-2006, 09:22 PM   #11
Galaxy
Coordinator

WOW
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:24 PM   #12
Ksyrup

This is about as big a mismatch as anyone taking on Quiksand in a limericks competition in the Maximum Football Thread. Hayes, Cruise, and the Scientologists just need to give it up and go home quietly.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-22-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:26 PM   #13
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And now Chef goes back to the "fruity little club"! LOL!
Old 03-22-2006, 09:27 PM   #14
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

THAT is how you kill off a character!
Old 03-22-2006, 09:28 PM   #15
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

LOLOL!

"We should be mad at that fruity little club for scrambling his brains"
Old 03-22-2006, 09:30 PM   #16
Ksyrup

That is pure, fucking brilliance.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:30 PM   #17
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

DARTH CHEF!

With light spatula!
Old 03-22-2006, 09:31 PM   #18
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
LOL!!!!

That was a perfect treatment of the whole situation! I was laughing my ass off the entire time.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:32 PM   #19
Ksyrup

Seriously, how great was that? They roasted him for leaving, kept up the attack on Scientology, gave him a heart-felt goodbye, left open the possibility of his return, and added a Star Wars ending...all in less than a week.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:33 PM   #20
cartman
Death Herald

This is what Super Adventure Club members actually believe

Remind me to never piss those two off.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:35 PM   #21
Critch
lolzcat

Wow.

Wow.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:47 PM   #22
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
This is about as big a mismatch as anyone taking on Quiksand in a limericks competition in the Maximum Football Thread. Hayes, Cruise, and the Scientologists just need to give it up and go home quietly.

Well said. This was just ... wow. Tom Cruise's boycott threats have only made this worse - I'd be shocked if the ratings aren't through the roof.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:49 PM   #23
kurtism
High School Varsity

Parker and Stone are the Bird and Magic of satire. Simply brilliant.
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:49 PM   #24
WVUFAN
College Starter

I missed the episode. Could some post or PM me spoilers?

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:51 PM   #25
General Mike
Pro Starter

Tremendous.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:55 PM   #26
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Seriously, how great was that? They roasted him for leaving, kept up the attack on Scientology, gave him a heart-felt goodbye, left open the possibility of his return, and added a Star Wars ending...all in less than a week.

Yeah, that was part of what made it good - if they had roasted Issac Hayes, it wouldn't have been quite as good. The spatula... just sheer class.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:55 PM   #27
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Man, that was freaking brilliant.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:56 PM   #28
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN
I missed the episode. Could some post or PM me spoilers?

if I may suggest... certain "networks" online might be able to provide it to you if you can wait till tomorrow. In any case, odds are good on CC replaying it if you want to wait - it really is that good.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:59 PM   #29
bronconick
College Starter

It's on again at midnight if you can stay up, WVU.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:01 PM   #30
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think they are repeating the new episode at 12. But i can't get a "for sure" indication out of my cable box.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:10 PM   #31
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
I think they are repeating the new episode at 12. But i can't get a "for sure" indication out of my cable box.

The DirecTV onscreen guide is showing the repeat will be in about an hour at 11pm Central.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:11 PM   #32
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew

DirecTV guide says "yes".
Old 03-22-2006, 10:24 PM   #33
WVUFAN
College Starter

I work until 2 am. :-(

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:15 PM   #34
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

That was pretty funny
Bearcat729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:22 PM   #35
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I don't have comedy central. Can somebody give at least a summary on the episode?

From what I hear, they finished the episode at 6am this morning.

This was confirmed from their office.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:07 AM   #36
Coop
High School JV

I wanna make love to ..your asshole.

haha good episode

Quote:
From what I hear, they finished the episode at 6am this morning.

that's how they finish all of the episodes

Last edited by Coop : 03-23-2006 at 12:08 AM.
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:29 AM   #37
Franklinnoble
Banned

From the Washington Post: - SPOILERS!
Quote:

'South Park' Responds: Chef's Goose Is Cooked
By Lisa de Moraes
Thursday, March 23, 2006; C07

"South Park" fans have struck back, threatening to boycott Viacom's upcoming Tom Cruise flick "Mission: Impossible III" until Viacom's Comedy Central puts back on its schedule the show's Scientology spoof episode the network yanked last week.
Meanwhile, Comedy Central and the show's creators, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, hoped to placate the angry mob (as if) with a hastily thrown together season-opening episode in which Chef is brainwashed by "a fruity little club" whose members travel the globe having sex with children.
Celebrity Scientologist Isaac Hayes, who had provided the voice of Chef, South Park's beloved school cook, since the show started, announced early last week that he wanted out because he had discovered "South Park" pokes fun at "religious communities." Two days later, Comedy Central yanked the scheduled rerun of the "Trapped in the Closet" episode that skewered Scientology and its most famous member, Tom Cruise.
The response to Hayes's exit was last night's slapped-together 10th-season opener, "The Return of Chef!" The producers sliced and diced lines Hayes had recorded in previous seasons to produce Chef's new lines for the episode, a Comedy Central rep told The Post's John Maynard.
In the episode, pals Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman are thrilled when Chef, who'd left South Park to join the Super Adventure Club, returns. But in school the next day, he says to them, "How about I meet you guys after work and we make love . . . come on children, you're my sexual fantasy, let's all make sweet love." Those are the printable things, anyway.
The guys take Chef to a shrink, who pronounces him the worst case of brainwashing he's ever seen.
They take him to a strip club to try to deprogram him. Chef is cured, but then is shot with darts by members of the Super Adventure Club -- "South Park's" new, thinly veiled metaphor, in case you haven't figured it out yet, for Scientology.
Chef is taken back to HQ, where the Super Adventure Club continues the brainwashing.
The boys follow and learn the secret of the Super Adventure Club, founded by a guy who was an explorer, only every time he got someplace he discovered someone had beat him there. So he decided to become the first explorer to have sex with the native children in the various remote locations, which he felt would make him immortal.
Long story short: The boys rescue Chef and they run across the rope bridge over the deep ravine that takes them to safety. But once they're on the other side, the Super Adventure Club's big chief shouts to Chef, "Don't you remember why you left South Park in the first place? You sought adventure . . . because your life had become dull and empty."
The boys plead with Chef:
"Chef -- we love you!"
But Chef heads back over the bridge, only it's struck by lightning and falls apart. Chef plunges down the ravine and is impaled on a large stick and attacked by a mountain lion, then a grizzly bear.
Back in South Park, the townsfolk hold a memorial service for Chef. Kyle tells the residents that although a lot of them don't agree with the choices Chef made in the last few days, they should focus on how much he made them smile and -- here's the money quote -- they should not be mad at Chef but instead at "the fruity little club for scrambling his brain."
We're guessing the episode may still not be enough raw meat for the piranha-esque "South Park" fans, who took to the Internet yesterday urging people to write, phone or e-mail Viacom, or sign their Chef Gate petition, letting the corporation know they and their loved ones will not see "Mission: Impossible III" (due in theaters on May 5) until Comedy Central runs the more direct Scientology-skewering episode "Trapped in the Closet."
(Normally these kinds of petitions are quixotic and kinda sweet, but there's no denying that "South Park's" core demographic -- 70 percent male, 20 percent male teens, 30 percent men age 18-34 -- is a bull's-eye for action flicks such as "Mission: Impossible.")
In the episode, Scientologists become convinced that Stan is the reincarnation of founder L. Ron Hubbard. Cruise shows up at Stan's house seeking praise for his acting work, but Stan pronounces it inferior to "that guy who played Napoleon Dynamite." Cruise, crushed, locks himself in Stan's closet. For the rest of the episode, Stan, his family, celeb Scientologist John Travolta and R&B artist R. Kelly try to get Cruise to "come out of the closet."
Immediately after Hayes made his announcement last week, Stone and Parker claimed in interviews that his exit from the show was entirely about his being a Scientologist. The publicity ginned up by the kerfuffle drove viewers to the show, only to be disappointed when the "Trapped" episode did not run last Wednesday night. That set off speculation it had been yanked because Cruise, or someone acting on his behalf, had said he would stop promoting "M:I3" if it aired.
"We, the loyal viewers of television's 'South Park' do hereby protest against the removal of the episode 'Trapped in the Closet,' " the fans' petition reads.
"We demand that Comedy Central put this episode back on the air and show it as soon as possible; we want everyone, including Tom Cruise, to know that censorship is wrong."
Far more fun are the comments attached to some of the more than 2,000 signatures that had been collected by the time the petition's Web server apparently crashed around 7 p.m. yesterday:
· Stop being girly-men.
· I would expect more moxie from Comedy Central.
· Bad Tommy! No biscuit!
· Get a sense of humor Tom, you couch jumping freak.
And, our personal fave:
· Free Katie!
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:35 AM   #38
Rizon
Pro Starter

Matt/Trey 2
Hayes/Scientology 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:20 AM   #39
Ksyrup

"Meanwhile, Comedy Central and the show's creators, Matt Stone and Trey Parker, hoped to placate the angry mob (as if) with a hastily thrown together season-opening episode..."

For people who don't know South Park, this is pretty misleading. A number of their episodes are produced in less than a week. The Terry Shiavo spoof, the capture of Saddam, etc. This makes it sound like they were scrambling to respond when, in fact, they react like this to various issues all the time.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:54 AM   #40
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, it certainly didn't sound like someone who was a fan of South Park (and considering it's the Post, it could well be someone with a liberal bent, and from what I've heard some liberals aren't too pleased with the fact that Parker and Stone will willingly skewer any part of the political spectrum).
Old 03-23-2006, 08:11 AM   #41
Butter
Coordinator

I remember the episode about Elian Gonzalez. It was the week of when they "rescued" him, and there was that famous picture of the guy with the gun grabbing him away from an adult in the closet. Two days later, the episode of South Park had a parody of that picture, and it was then I first realized how late their production schedule runs on "topical" issues.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:49 AM   #42
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
Yeah, it certainly didn't sound like someone who was a fan of South Park (and considering it's the Post, it could well be someone with a liberal bent, and from what I've heard some liberals aren't too pleased with the fact that Parker and Stone will willingly skewer any part of the political spectrum).

I don't know.. I'd probably be labelled as a liberal politcally but this is one of the things that I enjoy the most about South Park.. the fact that they can offend people from all over the political scale in the same show, basically just proving how silly the arguments really are.

The Schiavo-episode was excellent at this...

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:16 AM   #43
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

this was an absolutely beautiful and brilliant episode. simply one of their best.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:25 AM   #44
JeeberD
General Manager

Any idea when it's going to be on next? I totally forgot that it was on last night...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:33 AM   #45
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Any idea when it's going to be on next? I totally forgot that it was on last night...

Looks like it'll be repeated tonight, tomorrow, and Sunday, according to the Comedy Central website:

hxxp://www.comedycentral.com/tv_schedule/index.jhtml?seriesId=11600
Old 03-23-2006, 10:38 AM   #46
JeeberD
General Manager

Awesome, thanks...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:18 PM   #47
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
... it could well be someone with a liberal bent, and from what I've heard some liberals aren't too pleased with the fact that Parker and Stone will willingly skewer any part of the political spectrum).
Count me as one liberal who loves that they never pull punches and are willing and eager to pretty much make fun of anything and everyone. I think its their willingness to go after anything and everything equally that lets them get by with so much that would otherwise be considered taboo.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:22 PM   #48
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimyo
Count me as one liberal who loves that they never pull punches and are willing and eager to pretty much make fun of anything and everyone. I think its their willingness to go after anything and everything equally that lets them get by with so much that would otherwise be considered taboo.

What did you think of the fact that they left Bush entirely out of Team America?
Old 03-23-2006, 12:29 PM   #49
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What did you think of the fact that they left Bush entirely out of Team America?

Personally, I didn't even think about it until now. Still don't care. Was a funny movie.

Last edited by jeff061 : 03-23-2006 at 12:29 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:33 PM   #50
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
It's been a while since I saw Team America, but I pretty much took the whole thing as a veiled parody of Bush's foreign policy wrapped in a neat little package of hollywood-liberal jokes that allowed it to appeal to a broad political spectrum.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote