Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-16-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

NFL WEEK 2

Two bits of Jets news entering their week 2 showdown with the Pats:

Jets get fined 75K, and former coach Eric Mangini and GM Mike Tannenbaum were fined 25K each for not properly putting a cover sheet on their TPS report.. er.. I mean not putting Brett Favre on the injury report for multiple weeks last year.

Secondly, it really seems like the Jets are amping up the importance of their game against the Pats. New head coach Rex Ryan recorded the following voicemail to be sent out to all season ticket holders:

"Hey, this is Rex Ryan, Head Coach of the New York Jets. I just want to let you know how much we need you this week.

You know, I’ve already admitted that the Patriots have a better head coach and they got a better quarterback than us, but we got to see who’s got a better team. And the other part, the reason I’m so confident is that they’ve got to face you and the got to face the rest of our fans.

And my challenge to you is that we need you at your best, so let’s come get ready to go for four quarters and get after them, especially when our defense is out there we really need you. We want it to be miserable for Brady & company and seem like there’s 13 or 14 guys out there on defense. It’s tough enough when we have 11 but when our fans are into it it’s almost impossible to do anything against us.

So, that’s my challenge to you. Again, I admit that I’m not as good as Belichick, but at the end of the game, I want to be 1-0 against him. So, help me out if you don’t mind, so that’s my challenge. OK? Thank you. Bye.

I think it's a reminder to be uber-amped against the one team that everyone else thinks will win the division.. but.. I'm not sure that putting so much importance on a week two game is wise. If the Pats come out and lay a whupping on NYJ, what does that do to the Jets psyche the rest of the way?

In other news.. it's been reported that the Minnesota Vikings have built a new practice facility to contain Brett Farve's ego after he throws for 200+ yards against the Lions, and all the newspaper reports that "BRETT FARVE STILL HAS IT!"

Last edited by SirFozzie : 09-16-2009 at 05:25 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

Still don't understand why the Jets were fined. From PFT:

Quote:
The league previously overlooked the reality that the Jets had fudged the injury report because, we believe, plenty of teams have not disclosed injuries to players who have played through them. Last year, the Dolphins barely disclosed any injuries throughout the course of the entire season. Also, Pats running back Laurence Maroney played with a broken shoulder -- but didn't appear on the injury report. And Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger admitted after Super Bowl XLIII that he played with a broken rib, even though he was not listed on the injury report in the days preceding the game.

As the NFL previously has explained it, the injury report focuses on availability, not effectiveness. So since Favre practiced and played with the condition, the Jets handled the situation no differently than any other team that has failed to disclose an injury to a player who continued to practice and play.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:04 AM   #3
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Hats off to Vince Young

Dad for a day: Vince Young surprises Steve McNair's sons - ESPN

Young surprises McNair's sonsComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

For one day at least, Vince Young stepped up to try to fill the void for the late Steve McNair's two young sons, the Tennessean reported Thursday.

Young surprised 11-year-old Trenton and 5-year-old Tyler on Wednesday by showing up at their house and taking them to their school's "Dear Dads Breakfast" at a local restaurant.

Those are my boys. I wouldn't say it was to pay anyone back; it was just out of love. Steve would do it for me. He pretty much did it for me when I was growing up. I have a history with the boys and I want to do anything I can. I am their big brother.

-- Vince Young

"Those are my boys," Young told the Tennessean. "I wouldn't say it was to pay anyone back; it was just out of love. Steve would do it for me. He pretty much did it for me when I was growing up. I have a history with the boys and I want to do anything I can. I am their big brother."

Julie Dilworth, admissions director at St. Paul Christian Academy, lauded Young's actions.

"It was a great, great gesture," Dilworth told the Tennessean. "All the kids had been talking about the dads' breakfast and [Trenton and Tyler] were wondering what was going to happen with them.

"They were thrilled ... the boys came to school with huge smiles on their faces."

Young had a close relationship with Steve McNair, even before the latter was drafted by the Titans four years ago. He attended McNair's football camps when he was young. McNair was shot and killed July 4.

Besides being there for McNair's sons, Young gave other kids at the school jerseys and autographs.

"It was a surprise, and just to see the excitement on their faces, it's a great feeling," Young told the Tennessean. "We had a good time eating pancakes. I had an omelet.

"Overall they are doing cool, doing good. Just talking to their mom, I think they are going to be all right. I am always going to be here for them, always."

McNair also had two older teenage sons.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Way to go VY. Class act. Honestly - the guy has his demons, but I give him credit for stepping up to deal with them and even moreso, dealing with them in the public eye. And he still manages to do stuff like this...what a guy.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #5
RendeR
Coordinator

Ok yeah, even I can't be cynical about this.

GJ Vince.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Raiders/Chiefs in the home opener. Both teams may not be very good, but the blood still boils when this rivalry hits town. Let the finger-biting and eye-gouging begin.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Raiders/Chiefs in the home opener. Both teams may not be very good, but the blood still boils when this rivalry hits town. Let the finger-biting and eye-gouging begin.
And that's just from the fans!
Old 09-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Secondly, it really seems like the Jets are amping up the importance of their game against the Pats. New head coach Rex Ryan recorded the following voicemail to be sent out to all season ticket holders:

"Hey, this is Rex Ryan, Head Coach of the New York Jets. I just want to let you know how much we need you this week.

You know, I’ve already admitted that the Patriots have a better head coach and they got a better quarterback than us, but we got to see who’s got a better team. And the other part, the reason I’m so confident is that they’ve got to face you and the got to face the rest of our fans.

And my challenge to you is that we need you at your best, so let’s come get ready to go for four quarters and get after them, especially when our defense is out there we really need you. We want it to be miserable for Brady & company and seem like there’s 13 or 14 guys out there on defense. It’s tough enough when we have 11 but when our fans are into it it’s almost impossible to do anything against us.

So, that’s my challenge to you. Again, I admit that I’m not as good as Belichick, but at the end of the game, I want to be 1-0 against him. So, help me out if you don’t mind, so that’s my challenge. OK? Thank you. Bye.

I think it's a reminder to be uber-amped against the one team that everyone else thinks will win the division.. but.. I'm not sure that putting so much importance on a week two game is wise. If the Pats come out and lay a whupping on NYJ, what does that do to the Jets psyche the rest of the way?

I couldn't stand Buddy Ryan back in the day, and I wouldn't want everyone to act like this, but I think the NFL is better for having colorful characters like Rex Ryan around. Strategy-wise I agree that having your Super Bowl for a Week 2 game is pretty silly though, unless he plans on asking the fans to come to every game this season.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Way to go VY. Class act. Honestly - the guy has his demons, but I give him credit for stepping up to deal with them and even moreso, dealing with them in the public eye. And he still manages to do stuff like this...what a guy.

Maybe something good will come from McNair's poor choices towards the end of his life and VY will finally trun around and do something with the talent he has.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Hank Baskett looks to be signing with the Colts. Not really an exciting move, unless you consider the chance of seeing his wife at some games now.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:21 PM   #11
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Still don't understand why the Jets were fined. From PFT:

Most teams don't have Brett Favre stating that the executives of the team knowingly and purposefully broke the rules. As long as it happened behind closed doors, it was all good.

On a sidenote, I wonder what the difference in the betting lines might have been if the injury had been disclosed.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:24 PM   #12
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Why are the Colts even worried about signing WR's? It seems like they could just go to a 1 WR offense and defenses still couldn't cover Wayne.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:26 PM   #13
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Rex Ryan better hope he never has a losing season. Attitude like that won't be so adored if they miss the playoffs, I don't think.

Last edited by jeff061 : 09-17-2009 at 08:26 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #14
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Fuck this. I just looked at the distribution maps for the games. The Vikings don't play in one spot in the midwest... Green Bay/Fox Valley area. Screw you, Fox.

Just because the Packers play at the same time doesn't mean you can't have another game. Time to enjoy the game at the bar.... woohoo?
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #15
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Fuck this. I just looked at the distribution maps for the games. The Vikings don't play in one spot in the midwest... Green Bay/Fox Valley area. Screw you, Fox.

Just because the Packers play at the same time doesn't mean you can't have another game. Time to enjoy the game at the bar.... woohoo?

It is you who will be screwed! You wont be enjoying anything at the bar. The streak ends on Sunday!*

*I don't really believe this.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:50 AM   #16
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

No Welker today? Hoo boy.. this is going to be difficult.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #17
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

*scared*
Old 09-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #18
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think the Pats roll here.

The Jets were stupid poking a sleeping bear in the eye.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #19
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i hope you're right Lathum.

I think we need to see lots of hot "BRADY TO MOSS" action to get the win.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #20
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I like this no-huddle.. and the blocking is good today..
Old 09-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #21
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

so far
Old 09-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #22
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

apparently no one can catch the ball for the Packers early on
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #23
bhlloy
Coordinator

if Brees plays 16 games he's going to destroy some records this year. He's as close to perfect on his throws as I've ever seen (and he doesn't even have great receivers, he just puts the ball on the money every single time)
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #24
Masked
College Starter

Brees goes 5/5 for 53 yards and a 15 yard TD pass to Colston on the opening drive.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #25
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

beautiful start for the Pats defense - mike wright hit sanchez right as he was going to go, forced a fumble and the ball bounced back 17 yds before faneca fell on it inside the 5.

now 3rd an 26 for the jets
Old 09-20-2009, 12:13 PM   #26
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
if Brees plays 16 games he's going to destroy some records this year. He's as close to perfect on his throws as I've ever seen (and he doesn't even have great receivers, he just puts the ball on the money every single time)

makes San Diego look dumb for trading him and not Rivers...
Old 09-20-2009, 12:14 PM   #27
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That's one thing not enough people brought up during the week. Belichick loves to face rookie QB's.. Sanchez will have to make smart reads.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:14 PM   #28
JS19
College Prospect

3rd and 28 for the Jets, good start.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #29
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

great field position for the Pats here on the 50...time to punch it in!
Old 09-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #30
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Hank Baskett looks to be signing with the Colts. Not really an exciting move, unless you consider the chance of seeing his wife at some games now.

pics plz thanks
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #31
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
makes San Diego look dumb for trading him and not Rivers...

well it's not like Rivers is chopped liver. but I agree, we would have a Super Bowl now with Brees back there. Fucking AJ Smith, a team with LT in his prime and Brees at QB a couple of years ago when the defense was above average would have been unreal.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:18 PM   #32
spleen1015
Coordinator

Lions/Vikings and Texans/Titans here today.

/puke
Old 09-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #33
spleen1015
Coordinator

So, the Eagles answered the Saints?
Old 09-20-2009, 12:21 PM   #34
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
pics plz thanks

really??

lemme see if i can find a SFW pic of the playboy playmate...

hxxp://inyobusiness.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/kendra-wilkinson.jpg
hxxp://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/famecrawler/2009/02/kendra-wilkinson.jpg
Old 09-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #35
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Find some NSFW pics..

then put them in a PM and send it to me!
Old 09-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #36
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

PATSIES FORCE A FUMBLE AND RECOVER!!!!! INSIDE JETS 15!!!!
Old 09-20-2009, 12:23 PM   #37
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

that may be overturned though
Old 09-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #38
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I don't think there's indisputable evidence to overturn.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #39
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Find some NSFW pics..

then put them in a PM and send it to me!

Kendra Wilkinson

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-20-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #40
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

since it was ruled a fumble though it could be real tough to see the evidence to overturn

YES!!!
Old 09-20-2009, 12:26 PM   #41
henry296
College Starter

On Countdown they reported the Saints were expecting the Eagles to go for broke early on a long pass to Jackson. They were right and still couldn't stop it.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #42
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

*makes note to KEEL DT later.. it'd be rude to KEEL a fellow Pats fan during the game*

and told ya so on the review.. either wayit wasn't going to be overturned, cuz of the camera angles
Old 09-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #43
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

can we punch this shit in now patsies?
Old 09-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #44
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

ugh - stupid holding call
Old 09-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #45
spleen1015
Coordinator

Not impressed by Kendra.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #46
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Blah.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:31 PM   #47
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

ugh - jets defense (and pats o-line penalties to be fair) are holding the patsies well - but at least sanchez hasn't shown an ability to do anything yet...(famous last words?)
Old 09-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #48
Radii
Head Coach

delhomme has two possessions in a row without turning the ball over, but he looked real nervous backed up inside his own 10 on this second drive, hopping up and down in the end zone as he looked for a receiver, overthrowing a covered steve smith both times, pretty ugly.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #49
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Blame that missed pass on TB.. Galloway had gotten semi-open
Old 09-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #50
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

gj patsies defense...force a 3-and-out