Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-12-2020, 08:57 PM   #501
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yeah, Rokus are super easy. Easier than Fire sticks. Though having it have a DVR may suggest a streaming app? Though you also mention a Dish receiver? Unhook the Dish reciever, I'd say.

Not gonna happen. I can't imagine the cord will never be cut here.

As for Roku, I did mean only "Roku-enabled(?) SmartTV" (or however that should be worded). i.e. there's no specific roku device in the house or anything
Old 10-13-2020, 12:32 AM   #502
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So that's going to be the issue regardless of what fire stick or streaming device you get. Your wife ended up on the DVR somehow and a new streaming device on HDMI 2 isn't going to change that at all.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2020, 03:03 AM   #503
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So that's going to be the issue regardless of what fire stick or streaming device you get. Your wife ended up on the DVR somehow and a new streaming device on HDMI 2 isn't going to change that at all.

No no, I've long since given up on the DVR thing with her. Sorry, throwing that example in probably created confusion. I simple meant it as an illustration of the level of issues.

Half the time, I think, she ends up getting lost just trying to get TO the app menus on the smart tv. If she does get there and clicks, say, the Netflix app (or YT or whatever) the response time is horrendous. She may think it didn't register, ends up clicking again. Or means to but clicks the wrong button on the remote or ends up in one of the tabs at the top instead of in the app menu or whatever.

My question was based around whether maybe getting to HDMI2 and the Firestick interface being there could be an improvement IF the interface was simpler -- not like the TV interface with 4-5 tabs across the top with only one of those being the app screen she oughta be on. And maybe as a dedicated "device" it might have response times better than 2-3 minutes it takes this smart tv to open any of the stupid apps and actually connect/become functional.

From the replies here, honestly, it sounds like Firestick would be marginal improvement at most unfortunately. I was just trying to do good, make it not be such an ordeal for her to watch stupid apps on the stupid TV. (I can usually do it but she hates to summon me from the batcave to do so, etc etc). It may just be a bridge too far (which is kinda what the child unit said to me when I ran this idea by him)
Old 10-13-2020, 06:24 AM   #504
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Aaaaand Amazon renders my question untimely - if not downright moot - by not including anything smaller than the $79 Cube part of Prime Day. The possible usefulness to us (okay, her) isn't anywhere near that price point
Old 10-13-2020, 09:43 AM   #505
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ahh... ok. I was thrown for a loop, re: DVR.

I can definitely see a response time on Roku TVs being ridiculously slow (dedicated streamers tend to be faster in general). For what it's worth, I find Amazon's system to be a bit... crowded. Roku dedicated boxes are super simple. And with Google TV (the new Chromecast with Google TV for instance), you can just put it in "App" mode.

But you can always search in YouTube for "Fire stick operating system" or "Fire stick User Interface" to find videos to see how it would work.

re: Firestick - as for Prime Day sales, wait until Black Friday-ish. They tend to discount the Fire sticks pretty often. I got my Fire Stick 4k (which I got for future hotel room stays... uh, pre COVID... since Fire sticks have an inbuilt browser for logging into hotel wifis) for like $25 on a random sale once.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-13-2020 at 09:44 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:18 PM   #506
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

For what it's worth, Fire Stick 4k just dropped to $30 for the next 30 hours or so.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:51 PM   #507
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For what it's worth, Fire Stick 4k just dropped to $30 for the next 30 hours or so.

Thanks.
I noticed something so I'll share in case anybody else is lurking the thread

Quote:
In stock on October 31, 2020.
Order it now.
Arrives: Nov 8 - 14
Old 10-16-2020, 11:34 AM   #508
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Was at a buddies house the other day who has a firestick. Decided to get one on Prime Day for $25. He told me about downloader and I did it and downloaded Mobdro. Holy shit my life may have changed forever.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:39 AM   #509
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Careful though. Official sources are legal, but there is a lot that is not legal coming through as well.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:44 AM   #510
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Careful though. Official sources are legal, but there is a lot that is not legal coming through as well.

I like to live dangerously.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:46 AM   #511
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

With a VPN, hopefully

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:06 PM   #512
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
With a VPN, hopefully

SI

with a what?
Old 10-16-2020, 12:06 PM   #513
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

kidding. Yes there is a VPN
Old 10-22-2020, 08:59 AM   #514
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So now Hulu Live TV has announced it's dropping the Sinclair RSNs. This is after SlingTV and YouTubeTV have done similar. I believe the only streaming TV service that has them is AT&T TV? I'm not sure what Sinclair is doing here.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:45 AM   #515
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

...charging too much?

SI
Old 10-22-2020, 12:55 PM   #516
Butter
Coordinator

Trying to recoup their investment and failing, I'm guessing. When the NBA/NHL comes back, that's when the real pressure will start, because there are basically no important regional sports on until that happens. CFB is basically fully covered by national networks.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:57 PM   #517
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well most people still have cable, where the RSNs are still around. For all the talk that everyone is going streaming, it's still not a massive amount (though growing daily).
Old 10-22-2020, 12:58 PM   #518
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Trying to recoup their investment and failing, I'm guessing. When the NBA/NHL comes back, that's when the real pressure will start, because there are basically no important regional sports on until that happens. CFB is basically fully covered by national networks.

Yeah, right now our local RSN has been offline on FIOS since the beginning of the month. With no local sports there is no incentive for either side to negotiate. Normally these contract disputes last no more than 1 day or two.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:58 AM   #519
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Been searching, but it doesn't look like you can stream the Sinclair RSN stations independently (without cable). Wonder how long before they do an ESPN+ type subscription service...
Old 11-16-2020, 03:03 PM   #520
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

The price gouging continues.

Hulu + Live TV will be increasing their price from $54.99 per month to $64.99 per month (an 18% increase), effective December 18, 2020.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 11-16-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:30 PM   #521
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Once YouTubeTV went up, I knew it'd be a matter of time before Hulu did. The content providers have these services by the balls.

Also has put into perspective why cable prices keep going up. I thought it was just Comcast. Turns out content providers will nickel and dime any service.
Old 11-16-2020, 04:17 PM   #522
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
The price gouging continues.

Hulu + Live TV will be increasing their price from $54.99 per month to $64.99 per month (an 18% increase), effective December 18, 2020.

And Hulu (no ads) + Live TV goes from $60.99/month to $70.99/month.
Old 11-27-2020, 07:17 AM   #523
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Anyone have experience with DirectTV internet? We have optimum cable but I think I am going to switch back to Direct TV. Our TV service is horrible, the DVR is shit. The internet is fine though and I am nervous to switch to satellite internet.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:06 PM   #524
Kodos
Resident Alien

Comcast just put a cap on our data plan. By their new rules, based on our usual usage levels, we're looking at up to $100 a month in overage fees if we continue at our current streaming levels. Good times. We currently use Hulu plus Live TV, plus Netflix, Disney+, etc. DirecTV not looking like a good alternative pricewise (we need the Choice package to get BTN, which is mandatory). So we'll try limiting our data usage and see how that goes.

Last edited by Kodos : 01-11-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:14 PM   #525
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Anyone have experience with DirectTV internet? We have optimum cable but I think I am going to switch back to Direct TV. Our TV service is horrible, the DVR is shit. The internet is fine though and I am nervous to switch to satellite internet.

If you are in an AT&T service area, you'll get that for internet. If not, I'd steer clear of it. Low data caps, not great speed, and high latency.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 01-11-2021 at 01:15 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:35 PM   #526
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Comcast just put a cap on our data plan. By their new rules, based on our usual usage levels, we're looking at up to $100 a month in overage fees if we continue at our current streaming levels. Good times. We currently use Hulu plus Live TV, plus Netflix, Disney+, etc. DirecTV not looking like a good alternative pricewise (we need the Choice package to get BTN, which is mandatory). So we'll try limiting our data usage and see how that goes.

Consumer Reports is trying to stop Comcast from instituting the cap. Sign the petition!

Really Comcast? Data caps during COVID-19?
Old 01-14-2021, 01:41 PM   #527
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Consumer Reports is trying to stop Comcast from instituting the cap. Sign the petition!

Really Comcast? Data caps during COVID-19?

That might actually be the first internet "petition" I've signed in a decade or more.

I know they don't care, and I figure I'll end up spammed over it, but that was about the easiest whole hearted endorsement I've had a chance to make in years.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:59 PM   #528
Kodos
Resident Alien

I have an old hotmail account that I use for anything that might get me spammed. Works great.
Old 01-14-2021, 02:02 PM   #529
bob
College Starter

I wish AT&T caps would get killed off too. I am stuck with f'ing DSL and a 150GB cap. It costs a fortune too. They refuse to install anything else (Comcast does as well).
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:07 PM   #530
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That might actually be the first internet "petition" I've signed in a decade or more.

I know they don't care, and I figure I'll end up spammed over it, but that was about the easiest whole hearted endorsement I've had a chance to make in years.

We've had Comcast data caps in this area for a few years now. We ended up canceling our TV subscription to offset the surcharge to go data capless.

I saw yesterday that we ended up using 2TB of data last month and have been over 1.5 every month since switching to capless.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:14 PM   #531
bhlloy
Coordinator

The dispute between Sinclair (regional Fox Sports channels) and the streaming services has left me out of pocket with no other option than to go back to DirectTV for Ducks hockey and Angels baseball. No way I’m doing that, so I guess NHL TV and a VPN is the best option
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 02:20 PM   #532
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Bleh, yeah I signed up for a month of NHL.tv just a bit ago and am trying some DNS service to work around the local blackout issue. Will see how it goes....
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:09 PM   #533
cougarfreak
College Starter

I’m in the same boat but NHL TV doesn’t really help. I’m just below Cincinnati and both Nashville and Columbus are blacked out. I’ve about given up on watching my favorite teams in hockey and baseball. It’s ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2021, 05:29 PM   #534
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

How are they allowed to have blackouts when you're not allowed to go to games?
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:20 PM   #535
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Because they know they can't put the genie back in the bottle if the break blackouts for this year

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Old 01-14-2021, 07:35 PM   #536
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
How are they allowed to have blackouts when you're not allowed to go to games?

It's more about protecting the local TV contracts than game attendance.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:49 PM   #537
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I don't understand how people still think blackouts are based on attendance. That usage of blackouts only ever existed in the NFL and they haven't done that in while. The MLB, NHL, NBA, MLS has them because clubs sell the local tv rights deals.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:24 PM   #538
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Happy to report that YonderTV (in conjunction with NHL.tv) is working great on my Apple tv. No blackout.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:14 AM   #539
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

just wish NESN and YouTubeTV were able to make a deal. Wanted to see the Bruins
Old 01-16-2021, 07:04 AM   #540
cougarfreak
College Starter

Does using a VPN like Yonder affect locals on my streaming service, YouTubeTv? I’d be using the Yonder on Apple TV. Or is it better to use it on the router? I’m hesitant to mess with my router because my wife is working from home currently, and needs it to be very reliable as she is a broker for Morgan Stanley.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:36 AM   #541
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

What are you hoping to accomplish, cougar? I have yonder and YTTV on my Apple TV, which is actually only a secondary device to me now as I've been all-in on Nvidia Shields for awhile now. I believe yonder is really only used to bypass blackouts for nhl and mlb tv.

It's not a vpn, which is why it was much more attractive to me as I don't want all my traffic on my router being affected by my hockey lust. All you do is modify the DNS on your streaming device to the one yonder says to use. Somehow it determines your IP when you connect to it and from there it obfuscates your real location so you aren't deemed to be in your normal tv market. I wasn't really sure if it'd affect other things on the streaming device, which is why I whipped up my Apple TV, which was sitting in a box.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:39 AM   #542
cougarfreak
College Starter

That’s all I need to do. Bypass blackouts on both NHL and later MLB. But I really don’t want to mess with my network, as my wife uses it. And I run YouTubeTv on the same device. Wasn’t sure if since I’m changing what Yonder says on their website if I’d lose my local channels on Youtibe because it seems like the service “changes” the location of my Apple TV device.

If it doesn’t work do I need to write down the DNS thing I’m changing in case I want to switch back?

Old 01-16-2021, 09:59 AM   #543
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Pretty sure it won't affect YTTV, but I can verify that for you when the local news pops up on the guide on my Apple TV. They also offer a 7 day trial, which I'm still taking advantage of. Of course I had to take a gamble on the NHL.tv package, though I did the monthly package to mitigate that a bit.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:16 AM   #544
cougarfreak
College Starter

Awesome. Thanks!

Old 01-16-2021, 06:27 PM   #545
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Locals on youtubeTV are definitely in tact two days after I made the dns change on my ATV.
Old 01-16-2021, 07:39 PM   #546
cougarfreak
College Starter

Awesome. Thank you I appreciate it!

Old 07-25-2021, 06:38 AM   #547
Edward64
Head Coach

So for a combination of NFL + SEC football, what streaming services do you guys recommend?

From my research, looks like Hulu Live is best option?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:34 AM   #548
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
So for a combination of NFL + SEC football, what streaming services do you guys recommend?

From my research, looks like Hulu Live is best option?

Hulu Live does not carry the NFL network. I would recommend Youtube TV.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:33 AM   #549
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Dola,

My bad. Hulu signed a contract with the NFL network and will begin televising on August 1. Still, for the overall sports fan, I think Youtube TV or FuboTV are the best options. The MLB and NHL networks are important to me, and Hulu does not carry those.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:41 PM   #550
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

The disputes never end. YoutubeTV is on the verge of losing the NBC family of networks this Thursday, which sucks ass as an English soccer fan. Peacock is one of the worst apps around and doesn't even stream every match. I would have to switch again ugh!