Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-29-2021, 12:33 PM   #451
miami_fan
Coordinator

STERLING!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 12:38 PM   #452
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Believe that is 14 goals in his last 19 matches for England.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:25 PM   #453
AlexB
Pro Starter

Mostly turgid second half after a pretty compelling first. Two evenly matched teams, but we took a couple of chances and they didn’t.

Now, watch us lose to Sweden…

Last edited by AlexB : 06-29-2021 at 04:12 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:26 PM   #454
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way. . . . .
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 02:48 PM   #455
AlexB
Pro Starter

Partly true, also partly as the narrative in the English media is that this was a de facto semi final, and also when I think of England v Sweden, I think of Tomas Brolin, Do I Not Like That, and Zlatan’s 40 yard bicycle kick goal

Edit: just rewatched Zlatan’s goal, and it was probably only 30 yards (I nearly typed 50 yards originally )

Last edited by AlexB : 06-29-2021 at 02:50 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:02 PM   #456
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Mostly turgid second half after a pretty compelling first. Two evenly matched teams, but we took ancouple of chances and they didn’t.

Hey hey hey! I am trying to be a bandwagon fan over here. I don't have any of those bad memories.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 06-29-2021, 04:03 PM   #457
miami_fan
Coordinator

The fact that the doctors have not had to put that leg in a air cast is a miracle.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:03 PM   #458
MIJB#19
Coordinator

That was a red card? Isn't the Ukrainian player at fault here for being late to the party?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 04:05 PM   #459
AlexB
Pro Starter

Really don’t agree with the Sweden red card. Yes, the still image of the boot on the knee looks horrendous, and it definitely would have hurt, but the video of him playing the ball when the opposing player was yards away tells a different story

That’s just an unfortunate, accidental and thankfully very rare side effect of a contact sport that was neither intentional or reckless

Last edited by AlexB : 06-29-2021 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:14 PM   #460
AlexB
Pro Starter

OK, he was feet away after seeing a replay, but still not a red for me
Old 06-29-2021, 04:46 PM   #461
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don't think it was intentional. I don't have an answer as to what he should do instead. But in 2021, a high boot to another player's knee is going to be a red every time. Sort of like any helmet to helmet contact on a starting QB in the NFL no matter how unintentional is going to draw a flag.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:52 AM   #462
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

So after today Messi will no longer be under contract with Barcelona. I'm not really thinking he is leaving the club any longer, because if he was it would be one of the best kept secrets in all of sport. It's interesting seeing the club struggle so much financially and be so desperate to keep ahold of him. And at the same time Messi seems fine with holding out on signing any renewal until he gets the same exhorbhant wages as he did previously. Perhaps it's too late to make such a big leap to a new country and league at this point, but there is no way Barcelona will be competing at the biggest stages in the next season or two and it'd be disappointing to see him go out with such a whimper.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:50 PM   #463
miami_fan
Coordinator

$168.5 million per year!
Old 06-30-2021, 12:54 PM   #464
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Messi has been able to negotiate elsewhere for the last 6 months, however.
Old 07-02-2021, 01:27 PM   #465
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

That Swiss keeper has been on today!
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 03:52 PM   #466
JPhillips
General Manager

Never forget all of the Italians that have died for their country today.

edit: Nevermind. They all got not dead.

Last edited by JPhillips : 07-02-2021 at 04:03 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:11 PM   #467
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I watched 10 game minutes of the Copa. Neymar was "fouled" 4 times, they only called it twice.

First he tripped over the ball and ran into a player. They called a foul I guess on the ball, and Vidal was shown a yellow for dissent.
Another he went down with a grazing and acted, but nothing.
Another he went down with a grazing and acted, and foul.
The last he was late to a ball, stomped on the players shin who cleared it, but acted like he got shot. No foul.

This is why I can't watch games played in the Americas.

Last edited by Ghost Econ : 07-02-2021 at 09:13 PM.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:42 PM   #468
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You know Neymar does the same things in Europe, right?

I was also noting that Lukaku tends to get fouled a lot but the refs hardly call it because he doesn't tend to go down. It indicates why players go down easy.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:02 AM   #469
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I feel like Lukaku doesn't get nearly enough credit for his holdup play. He wins almost every clear and is extremely good with his distribution. He seemed like the only forward in the tournament who could still play that way.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 09:10 AM   #470
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
I watched 10 game minutes of the Copa. Neymar was "fouled" 4 times, they only called it twice.

First he tripped over the ball and ran into a player. They called a foul I guess on the ball, and Vidal was shown a yellow for dissent.
The last he was late to a ball, stomped on the players shin who cleared it, but acted like he got shot. No foul.

I believe they call this craftiness in the trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
You know Neymar does the same things in Europe, right?

I was also noting that Lukaku tends to get fouled a lot but the refs hardly call it because he doesn't tend to go down. It indicates why players go down easy.

This.

For the record, I am not a fan of players diving on the ground. Unfortunately, match officials have made it perfectly clear that if they don't hear someone screaming at the top of their lungs or rolling around on the ground, they are not giving fouls no matter how obvious those fouls are. Neymar's diving is even more of an indictment on the match officials because he is not even good at it at the diving.

I don't want to jinx it but on a related note, the officiating in the Euros has been outstanding for the most part IMO. All parts of it. It has been hilarious to note those commentators and pundits who are constantly begging for more VAR involvement after hearing the same people railing against it being too involved in the club season.
Old 07-03-2021, 12:44 PM   #471
miked
College Starter

The Italy game yesterday was awful, watching the Italians rolling on the ground for 4 minutes every time a player was near them. The only player that actually got seriously injured seemed to roll the least.
Old 07-03-2021, 02:34 PM   #472
AlexB
Pro Starter

Watching England is like watching paint dry, but quite liking the finished effect
Old 07-03-2021, 02:58 PM   #473
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post

You just described Neymar as being himself. Nothing new here.
Old 07-03-2021, 03:32 PM   #474
miami_fan
Coordinator

There you go Jordan my boy. Get that bit of craziness out of your system
Old 07-03-2021, 03:38 PM   #475
AlexB
Pro Starter

Today has made me realise how little I actually like modern football. Take away the strength and aggression that used to be part of the sport, it’s a really boring technical exercise
Old 07-03-2021, 05:58 PM   #476
miami_fan
Coordinator

Wasn't it like late last year that Columbus Crew were almost moved to another city? How the hell did they get a new stadium so fast?
Old 07-03-2021, 06:51 PM   #477
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Today has made me realise how little I actually like modern football. Take away the strength and aggression that used to be part of the sport, it’s a really boring technical exercise
Interesting. To me it's the other way around. Unless we have other definitions of strength, aggression and technical football.

To me modern football is 9 out of 10 teams parking the bus. These days almost every team plays like San Marino or Portugal: either with 7 or 8 defenders out of fear to get overrun, or because that's how they prefer to disrupt the opponents luring on a quick counter attack, hoping to see it result in a penalty kick, or at least in either a free kick just outside the box or a corner kick.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:32 PM   #478
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The play acting in this Argentina/Ecuador game is embarrassing. How about VAR can award yellow cards after review of "fouls" and we just shut this shit down?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:02 PM   #479
kingfc22
Head Coach

The Copa America has been unwatchable IMO
Old 07-03-2021, 11:33 PM   #480
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Wasn't it like late last year that Columbus Crew were almost moved to another city? How the hell did they get a new stadium so fast?

Actually three years ago at this point, (2018). I think it was part of the proposal to keep the crew in columbus, but the owner really wanted to move them to Austin, and strictly speaking, there are parts of the stadium that aren't finished yet.
Old 07-04-2021, 03:33 AM   #481
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Interesting. To me it's the other way around. Unless we have other definitions of strength, aggression and technical football.

To me modern football is 9 out of 10 teams parking the bus. These days almost every team plays like San Marino or Portugal: either with 7 or 8 defenders out of fear to get overrun, or because that's how they prefer to disrupt the opponents luring on a quick counter attack, hoping to see it result in a penalty kick, or at least in either a free kick just outside the box or a corner kick.

I think we’re on similar lines, I just worded my post badly.

I miss that strength and aggression are no longer in the game, as without these factors it has become a boring technical demonstration
Old 07-04-2021, 06:24 AM   #482
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Actually three years ago at this point, (2018). I think it was part of the proposal to keep the crew in columbus, but the owner really wanted to move them to Austin, and strictly speaking, there are parts of the stadium that aren't finished yet.

Wow, it was that long ago?. I thought it was more recent. Thanks.
Old 07-04-2021, 07:33 PM   #483
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

More like 2.5, but yeah it's been a minute. The Haslams bought the Crew on December 28, 2018.

This is also the first season for Austin FC, the new team that Precourt was allowed to start after trying to move the Crew in 2018 (as part of the whole deal - he didn't want to sell his investor-operator rights).

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2021, 03:22 PM   #484
miami_fan
Coordinator

Spain have about 10 mins to score before Italy goes into the prevent defense/victory formation.
Old 07-06-2021, 03:30 PM   #485
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I swear I just saw Bobby Valentine in full incognito mode on Italy's sideline.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 04:33 PM   #486
miami_fan
Coordinator

Luis Enrique is all of us who has forgotten to set our penalty takers in FM.

Last edited by miami_fan : 07-06-2021 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:18 PM   #487
JPhillips
General Manager

What's the most painful way for this to go down for England? Would it hurt more to lose to Denmark or to lose in the finals?
Old 07-06-2021, 09:40 PM   #488
bhlloy
Coordinator

Either in a penalty shootout, with slight bonus marks for losing the final I think. Normally you'd say it would be losing to the underdog Denmark in the semis, but there's an Eriksen factor this year that would soften the blow I think.

Last edited by bhlloy : 07-06-2021 at 09:40 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 06:50 AM   #489
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
What's the most painful way for this to go down for England? Would it hurt more to lose to Denmark or to lose in the finals?
Any loss after the quarterfinals will feel like a missed opportunity, regardless on what transpires. England already exceeded what should have been reasonable expectations: reaching the quarterfinals. They (and other teams, not to mention uneducated journalists) are probably not thinking that way, but in a 24- or 32-team tournament setup, getting past the quarterfinals should always be considered proof of being finalist material. From the quarterfinals and onwards it really depends on luck of the draw (from before the tournament even began) on whether you'll go home too early or not, see Italy vs Belgium as a quarterfinals matchup, which most would say was supposed to be a semifinals matchup, or the two teams to beat in the semis to reach te final.

But to answer the question: I think falling to Denmark on penalties will be regarded the biggest "what if" story for England. The media in England will fleece the team if they can't beat Denmark, regardless the result. Losing to Italy in the final will be a disappointment, the news papers will cry about the antics of the Italians. But Italy has earned the credibility to be worthy tournament winners, the players will understand, yet from here on forever will feell like it was a missed opportunity if they don't win the tournament.
Old 07-07-2021, 02:34 PM   #490
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Nice strike, but was Pickford positioned correctly? It wasn't all that close to the corner.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:08 PM   #491
bhlloy
Coordinator

If anything was off it’s the setup for the wall but I think you have to tip your cap to the strike. As a goalie you know if somebody gets it over the wall and to dip with any pace, you are basically fucked. But I was always bad at setting up the wall in the right place, so it’s entirely possible that was off to begin with.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:35 PM   #492
Butter
Coordinator

So I just saw the team selection for the US for the Gold Cup.

This is the biggest tournament the US participates in. And it's like 75% scrubs or guys who won't really figure into plans for several years.

I don't get it
Old 07-07-2021, 03:50 PM   #493
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
So I just saw the team selection for the US for the Gold Cup.

This is the biggest tournament the US participates in. And it's like 75% scrubs or guys who won't really figure into plans for several years.

I don't get it

I think it's a combo of giving European-based players a rest and normal pre-season with their club teams + giving more experience to younger fringe players in a competitive tourney. The US has to qualify for the World Cup next go around, so anything that helps achieve that is much more important than the Gold Cup.

I bet some of the European-based players would be on the roster if the schedule aligned with the Euros, where it's just wrapping up.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 07-07-2021 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:57 PM   #494
AlexB
Pro Starter

I think we’re seeing that yesterday was the semi final for the strong half of the draw, and today is the weaker half.

The Danes are decent TBF, but I think both Spain and Italy would be confident of beating either of us
Old 07-07-2021, 04:10 PM   #495
AlexB
Pro Starter

No pen
Old 07-07-2021, 04:12 PM   #496
AlexB
Pro Starter

No celebration for cheating
Old 07-07-2021, 04:15 PM   #497
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

That is called a rag (Manchester United) penalty.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:20 PM   #498
bhlloy
Coordinator

Such a soft penalty. There’s no point in VAR other than for handball if they aren’t going to ask the refs to look at incidents like that.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:22 PM   #499
AlexB
Pro Starter

They did look apparently, decided not to overturn it.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:24 PM   #500
bhlloy
Coordinator

I’m saying have the ref look at it again on the monitor. Understand that they look at all penalty decisions.