Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-19-2021, 11:02 AM   #2751
RainMaker
General Manager

Good to be a rich white dude in this country.

DOJ Will Not Prosecute Trump Officials After IG Referred Findings of False Testimony on Census - Government Executive
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:04 AM   #2752
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Joe is showing his age now.

I just don't see this. The President gave a speech at the White House and took some questions and seemed absolutely fine. At the very least, no worse than when he was on campaign trail.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-19-2021, 02:20 PM   #2753
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

All the people wanting to be tough on Russia have been real quiet about this one.

Massive data leak reveals Israeli NSO Group's spyware used to target activists, journalists, and political leaders globally | Amnesty International
Old 07-19-2021, 03:34 PM   #2754
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
The Biden-FB tiff is interesting.

I don't know why Biden is being so aggressive vs FB. I get FB can do better but seems to me Biden will get more cooperation with behind the scenes vs directly confronting FB.

(If that's been tried already, didn't see it in the news).

Biden softens his statement and clarifies with below.

Quote:
... backed off his recent accusation that the company was directly responsible for "killing people" and suggested it was merely allowing misinformation to spread.

When CNN's Kaitlan Collins asked Biden about the comment, Biden said, "I meant precisely what I said. I'm glad you asked me that question."

"Facebook isn't killing people -- these 12 people are out there giving misinformation. Anyone listening to it is getting hurt by it. It's killing people. It's bad information," Biden said, appearing to cite data from the nonprofit Center for Countering Digital Hate (CCDH). A report published by the organization in March indicated that about a dozen people were super-spreaders of anti-vaccine misinformation.

"My hope is that Facebook, instead of taking it personally, that somehow I'm saying Facebook is killing people, that they would do something about the misinformation, the outrageous misinformation about the vaccine. That's what I meant,"
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 05:02 PM   #2755
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

What Biden should learn from Obamacare - POLITICO

If you scroll down to the parting words one of my best friends band gets a shout out. Pretty nice free publicity on Politico

Quote:
Nightly’s Tyler Weyant emails from the shores of Assawoman Bay in Ocean City, Md.:

I went to my first concert since being vaccinated last night. It was at Seacrets, a popular Ocean City night club, and yes, it was the suspendered and straw-hatted cover band The Amish Outlaws. Through the rapidly changing genres of songs and falling confetti, I kept thinking about one thing: the Delta variant.

At this point, you may have questions. Tyler, you were at a crowded concert, even though you synthesize Covid coverage every day? Weren’t you worried or afraid? Not really, because I trust the vaccines. Are the Amish Outlaws real? Yes, they are quite real.

A follow-up, then: If you weren’t afraid, why were you thinking about the Delta variant? It’s a good question. I hadn’t thought about it on my way there. I was focused on a fun night out with family members whom I haven’t been able to see much during the throes of Covid. I’d say it was sometime between “We Are the Champions” and “Blinding Lights” that I began to grapple with a set of realizations in my mind. They went something like this:

“Oh dear goodness, this crowd is screaming lyrics to songs left and right, and I bet a good portion aren’t vaccinated, and holy cow, look at that woman just screaming and sloshing her drink around, goodness, let me pull up the New York Times map of vaccination rates, but wait I probably shouldn’t, but it will only take a second, first hold on a second … PAAAAAANAMA. PANAMA-A-A-A-A-A.”

To answer another follow-up, yes, I am considered fun at parties. But more seriously, I haven’t been able to stop thinking about my moment of panic. It was a sharp reminder of the risk assessments even the vaccinated have to make if we want to return to the things we loved before March 2020. We all have a choice to make: Either we trust the vaccines, and go out and live our lives, or we revert back to the state of isolation and fear that none of us cared for before our shots. I am trying to choose the former.

Last edited by Lathum : 07-20-2021 at 05:08 PM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 04:27 PM   #2756
miami_fan
Coordinator

We have all been waiting for it. The time has come.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/22/polit...ion/index.html

Quote:
Mississippi's attorney general told the Supreme Court on Thursday that Roe v. Wade was "egregiously wrong" and should be overturned as she urged the justices to allow a controversial law that bars most abortions after 15 weeks to go into effect.

"The conclusion that abortion is a constitutional right has no basis in text, structure, history, or tradition" Attorney General Lynn Fitch told the justices in a new brief, launching the opening salvo in the most important abortion-related dispute the court has heard in decades.

Fitch said that the case for overruling Roe is "overwhelming."

Roe v. Wade is the 1973 landmark Supreme Court decision legalizing abortion nationwide prior to viability, which can occur at around 24 weeks of pregnancy.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:49 PM   #2757
Edward64
Head Coach

Almost a week since the last comment in the Biden thread ... Sleepy Joe indeed.

Looks like we are going to get a bipartisanship $1T infrastructure bill through the Senate. Last I read, it was $1.2T ... not sure what got cut.

Regardless, congrats to Biden for getting this far at least. Let's get this done before the really, really tough $3T+ bill for jobs & family (and early medicare).
Old 07-28-2021, 08:21 PM   #2758
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Yep. It’s nice to have a president where I can go for days without knowing what he’s thinking or where he is. I just assume he’s quietly doing his job. I didn’t realize how much I liked that a president until I didn’t have it for four years.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:34 PM   #2759
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

So far Biden has been somewhat better than I expected. It's early yet, and I can't ignore the fact that climate change is still getting the short end of the stick from my mind, but it's been a pleasant surprise.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:43 PM   #2760
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

There will never be meaningful policy with regards to climate change in our lifetimes. It is way to far an uphill battle. Look at how mush effort it has taken to get the infrastructure package passed. No way they get something through that not only would cost exponentially more, but forces people to alter their way of life while we look on as China, India, etc...continue to destroy the environment.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 09:47 PM   #2761
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I don't disagree, I just don't think the rest of what we debate is remotely as important. It's just not compelling to me to rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic, so to speak.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:34 PM   #2762
JPhillips
General Manager

It just keeps getting worse.

Old 07-29-2021, 01:38 AM   #2763
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Yep. It’s nice to have a president where I can go for days without knowing what he’s thinking or where he is.

So in other words, you're a kindred spirit with Joe?
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:16 AM   #2764
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Yep. It’s nice to have a president where I can go for days without knowing what he’s thinking or where he is. I just assume he’s quietly doing his job. I didn’t realize how much I liked that a president until I didn’t have it for four years.

Yeah and almost no reporting on cabinet members who were in a scandal of their own/ethics rule breaking. Trump's cabinet almost from day one were involved in those leading to so many to have to leave their job. I think there was one person whose name I can't remember now in that first week, but since then not sure I've heard about any one.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:12 AM   #2765
Edward64
Head Coach

As much anti-China government I am, I really hope this works out well for China & Afghanistan. Afghanistan deserves a different approach to get some normalcy.

China has more patience, probably have more carrots than stick, willing to negotiate with Taliban and can do business with both sides, seen as less of a military threat etc.

50-50 that we'll start seeing Chinese nationals kidnapped/beheaded by some group. But also fair chance it'll work out somewhat better vs the US.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/29/china...hnk/index.html
Quote:
China's Foreign Minister met with senior leaders of the Taliban in the northern Chinese city of Tianjin on Wednesday in the latest sign of warming ties between Beijing and the resurgent Islamist group.

During a meeting with Taliban's co-founder Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar, who heads the group's political committee, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi described the Taliban as an important military and political force in Afghanistan, and said he expected the Taliban to play an important role in the country's "peace, reconciliation and reconstruction process," according to China's Foreign Ministry.

Following the withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan, the Taliban has rapidly expanded its presence -- and now controls large swathes of country. The speed at which Afghan security forces have lost control to the Taliban has shocked many, and led to concerns the capital Kabul could be next to fall. All foreign forces are expected to leave Afghanistan by August 31.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:30 AM   #2766
bronconick
College Starter

China is there to mine rare metals and will make the Soviets look cute and cuddly. The Uyghurs could tell them, if there were many left.

Last edited by bronconick : 07-29-2021 at 08:32 AM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:19 AM   #2767
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
China is there to mine rare metals and will make the Soviets look cute and cuddly.

TBH, I'm surprised at their Afghanistan reach out. Still plenty of African countries with rich raw materials and less risk. My guess is Afghanistan is a tad too close to their borders and they want to stabilize as much as possible.

Bribes, threats, wolf-team assassinations etc., but nothing large scale like the Soviets. Not their style.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:26 AM   #2768
Edward64
Head Coach

Eddard Stark. ""When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."

I don't get this billionaire, should have left it well alone and enjoyed his billions. Or take another approach and attack anonymously or be less direct (e.g. criticizing the party).

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/29/busin...hnk/index.html
Quote:
Billionaire Sun Dawu, a vocal critic of the Chinese government, was sentenced to 18 years in prison on Wednesday for "picking quarrels and provoking troubles," according to an official statement posted by the court.

Sun was arrested in March this year. His company, Hebei Dawu Agricultural and Animal Husbandry Group, owns farming operations in China and employs about 9,000 people in poultry processing, pet food production and other industries. He is also famous for being an outspoken critic of China's ruling Communist Party.

Sun was found guilty of "gathering a crowd to storm state institutions, obstructing public service, picking quarrels and provoking troubles, disrupting production and operation, conducting coercive trade, illegal mining, illegal occupation of agricultural land, illegal absorption of public deposits," the People's Court of Gaobeidian said in a statement posted on its official WeChat account.

As part of his 18-year sentence, Dawu was also fined 3.11 million yuan ($480,000).
Old 07-30-2021, 04:14 AM   #2769
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'm curious what people here think of the evictions issue. I.e. how long the moratorium should be extended for (if at all), and what action we should take to keep landlords afloat (if any).
Old 07-30-2021, 05:44 AM   #2770
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I don't disagree, I just don't think the rest of what we debate is remotely as important. It's just not compelling to me to rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic, so to speak.

New Zealand is your answer

Quote:
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has been warning for years that the climate crisis is doom impending, with less than a decade to act before it’s too late.

But fear not. A group of scientists have figured out where humanity can survive our impending societal collapse: the Pacific Island country of New Zealand.

According to a study published in “Sustainability,” current academic literature paints “a picture of human civilization that is in a perilous state, with large and growing risks developing in multiple spheres of the human endeavour.”
:
In fact, the study cites the United Nations warning that future pandemics can be more severe than what the world is experiencing with COVID-19.

Luckily, there are places called “collapse lifeboats” that would “not experience the most egregious effects of societal collapses (i.e., as may occur due to the effects of climatic changes) and are therefore able to maintain significant populations.”

The study rates countries based on their ability to produce enough food for their population, protect their borders from potentially displaced populations seeking refuge, and their ability to maintain an electric grid and some manufacturing capability.

Considering all of this, the study concludes that humanity’s best bet is New Zealand.

Why? Well, New Zealand has a low current population, is in the middle of the ocean with “no nearby large or heavily populated landmasses,” and has a modern economy with “abundant indigenous renewable energy sources,” the study says.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:13 AM   #2771
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

That's interesting, but it doesn't surprise me. I've heard nothing but good things about New Zealand.

Ofc, I'm not really looking at it as something for me. The really bad effects are going to hit after I'm dead, with the possible exception of the oil crisis. It's more a case of I want us to make sacrifices now so we don't create obscene levels of suffering for future generations beyond what we already have. A different brand of flattening the curve, if you will.

The pandemic is actually a really good analogy for it IMO. I think humanity will take action when it becomes obvious that it's about to get really bad. It's just that by the time that happens, the bill won't take years to pay, but generations/centuries, and those who are alive then will rightfully curse us and wish they could have it as good as we do.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:49 AM   #2772
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm curious what people here think of the evictions issue. I.e. how long the moratorium should be extended for (if at all), and what action we should take to keep landlords afloat (if any).

Definitely a tough situation. If its not extended, it'll be a staged eviction process (e.g. not all on Aug 1), see below link.

I think gradual process over next 6 months is probably right approach (unless there is another Delta variant shutdown, economic catastrophe etc.). Assuming the 80-20 rule, there'll still be 20% that will need desperate help.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/29/thes...ium-lifts.html
Quote:
The national ban on evictions will expire in two days, leaving the millions of Americans who are still behind on their rent at risk of being forced out of their homes. But some states will continue to limit the proceedings beyond July 31.

In California, where as many as 1.6 million renters may be in arrears, most landlords can’t move forward with evictions until October.

In Washington, D.C., landlords can’t begin evictions again until Aug. 26, and only at that point if they’d filed one against you prior to the pandemic (in these cases, you must also be given 30 days notice). Other evictions can’t resume until Oct. 12, and you must be provided with at least 60 days notice.

The eviction moratorium in Hawaii will lift on Aug. 6. Illinois’ ban will be in effect through August, and Maryland’s until Aug. 15.

New York has extended its eviction moratorium until September for tenants who’ve endured a Covid-related setback or for whom moving could pose a health risk. To qualify, renters must submit a hardship form to their landlord.

Renters in New Jersey can’t be kicked out of their homes until January.

In addition, you can’t be evicted for nonpayment of rent during any months for which your landlord accepted federal rental assistance, said Emma Foley, a researcher at the National Low Income Housing Coalition. The NLIHC has a state-by-state list of the 483 programs giving out the aid.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:52 AM   #2773
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

I haven't followed the issue closely enough to have an informed opinion.

My very general uninformed opinion is that, in general, free markets are good, and our default should try to get back to the status quo ante as soon as possible regarding housing and evictions. The longer that extraordinary government interventions stay in place, the harder it can be to undo them.

What I don't know is if that time is now or six months from now or if it should have happened six months ago. I simply don't understand the details well enough.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:03 AM   #2774
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

This is a little unfair to Biden b/c the CDC is not supposed to be political, so it isn't really in his control.

But, man, I think that they really fucked up the Delta messaging. A couple weeks ago, the public tide had started to turn against the unvaccinated and the politicians who coddled them. You were even starting to see some GOP pols taking the "How dare you take seriously everything I have been saying about vaccines for the last year; of course vaccines are awesome" approach.

Then the CDC jumped in with the most confusing masking advice yet. (Seriously, I follow this stuff closely, and I have no idea if I am supposed to be wearing a mask right now according to the CDC). Which has then let the issue of vaccination (where the Dems have the high ground) fall into the background so that everyone can argue about masks again and point to a confusing message from D.C.

As a citizen, I am glad that the CDC is focused on science again and not the preservation of one political party over another. As a Democrat, I am kind of jealous of how much better the GOP is at the political stuff.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:49 AM   #2775
JPhillips
General Manager

I was just thinking that the GOP is going all in as the anti-COVID restrictions/mandates party, but it seems like that isn't a very smart position. If almost 70% of adults have at least one dose of the vaccine and even 10% of the remainder are people of color that will most likely vote D or not vote, that's a really small remaining group to align themselves with.

I expect whatever we're fighting about next year won't be COVID, but it's still a pretty risky stance.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:13 AM   #2776
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I was just thinking that the GOP is going all in as the anti-COVID restrictions/mandates party, but it seems like that isn't a very smart position. If almost 70% of adults have at least one dose of the vaccine and even 10% of the remainder are people of color that will most likely vote D or not vote, that's a really small remaining group to align themselves with.

I expect whatever we're fighting about next year won't be COVID, but it's still a pretty risky stance.

There's a big group in that 70% who are very tired of the never-ending mandates/restrictions. Big difference between an anti-vac position and an anti-mandate/restriction/rules position.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:04 AM   #2777
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I don't know how many, but some people are getting vaccines in secret so they won't be shunned by their families and community.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/29/healt...uri/index.html

And I think Republicans believe that that smallish group wins them elections. They vote, they donate money, they promote fear and hate and social media and can swing over enough people.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:55 PM   #2778
JPhillips
General Manager

Yes, most people are going to stay with their tribe, but I don't think independents are going to flock to the GOP position. I think there is a lane for pro-vaccine, anti-restrictions, but that's not where the majority of the conservative movement is at, and in this environment, 1-2% fleeing a party makes a big difference.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:04 AM   #2779
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Not a good day for Cuomo

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo ‘Sexually Harassed Multiple Women,’ in Violation of Federal and State Law, AG Report Finds
Old 08-03-2021, 11:21 AM   #2780
Kodos
Resident Alien

He should be gone.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:31 AM   #2781
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

. What a difference a year makes for him.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:40 AM   #2782
Kodos
Resident Alien

He should have been gone then too. We just didn't know it.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:45 PM   #2783
Thomkal
Head Coach

And apparently he continues to deny it. Can he be brought up on charges now?
Old 08-03-2021, 12:48 PM   #2784
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't know about limitations.

He can be impeached, though.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:57 PM   #2785
Thomkal
Head Coach

I saw Cuomo or his lawyers posted pictures of Obama and Bush hugging woman...in their role as President visiting areas damaged by hurricanes. Yep nothing says sexual harrassment like giving support to those who have just been through a horrible tragedy. Yeah I'm ready for him to go
Old 08-03-2021, 04:34 PM   #2786
JPhillips
General Manager

I swear Biden's superpower is getting his opponent to demand the most simple, obvious concessions. Whether reject defund the police, criticize Hamas, or now call on Cuomo to resign, the 'controversy' lasts a couple of hours until Biden takes the ayup.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:53 PM   #2787
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Normally I'd be all "Innocent Until Proven Guilty" and all that, even for Cuomo. But after hearing him sing I think Cuomo should be immediately convicted of something.

Conversation Between Charlotte Bennett and Governor Cuomo on October 4, 2019
Old 08-03-2021, 04:57 PM   #2788
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I saw Cuomo or his lawyers posted pictures of Obama and Bush hugging woman...in their role as President visiting areas damaged by hurricanes. Yep nothing says sexual harrassment like giving support to those who have just been through a horrible tragedy. Yeah I'm ready for him to go

The guy is a complete sociopath. Obama hugging a parent who lost their child at Sandy Hook is the same as him groping a 22-year old intern.

The fact he wasn't pushed out after the nursing home scandal is criminal too.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:18 PM   #2789
Edward64
Head Coach

I do think sometimes "touching, hugging" can be innocent and misconstrued. Even the unwanted kiss on the cheek during a wedding party.

But the grabbing of the butt seems to be a pattern and that's pretty clear cut.

Unless he comes back with a pretty good explanation for each one, yeah he should go.

Quote:
One unnamed state employee told investigators that Cuomo put his hand on, tapped and then grabbed her buttocks at an event where he had been speaking in New York City in September 2019. She contemporaneously memorialized the governor's inappropriate touching in an email dated the day after the incident, according to the report.

Another accuser, Anna Ruch, whose account CNN has previously reported on, received an unwanted kiss on the cheek from the governor in September 2019 at a wedding party for one of the his senior aides, according to the report. Photographic evidence taken by one of Ruch's friends was provided to investigators, and after the incident Ruch told friends what had happened and how upset she was by Cuomo's actions, the report said.

An unnamed executive assistant told investigators that Cuomo touched and grabbed her buttocks while they were hugging. The report said that Cuomo asked her "multiple times about whether she had cheated or would cheat on her husband, and asking her to help find him a girlfriend." Initially she kept the allegation to herself, according to the report, and later reported the claims to senior staff in the Executive Chamber after a March 3 press conference in which Cuomo said he "never touched anyone inappropriately."
Old 08-03-2021, 05:20 PM   #2790
BYU 14
Coordinator

Jesus, that is really the defense they are using for Cuomo? He can't be gone quick enough and some people in power need to start pushing him out the door. The guy is clearly a predator.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 08-03-2021 at 05:20 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:28 PM   #2791
JPhillips
General Manager

I didn't just harass these women, I harass everyone I meet is a hell of a defense.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:08 PM   #2792
BYU 14
Coordinator

hopefully this is the push that starts this creep on his way to the door and out of politics for good.

Joe Biden Calls On New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo To Resign | HuffPost
Old 08-03-2021, 06:08 PM   #2793
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
I didn't just harass these women, I harass everyone I meet is a hell of a defense.

Trump is literally the only one that could use that defense and still, somehow, remain unscathed.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:00 PM   #2794
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So Joe Biden claims the eviction moratorium is likely unconstitutional yet extends it anyways.

Isn't there something Trumpian about this? It seems like Joe is going to do what he wants until the court denies his actions.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 08-05-2021 at 02:08 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:06 PM   #2795
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think he did it because of political pressure, but nah it isn't Trumpian. I think it was a normal, inappropriate presidential political action. Trumpian would be declaring Congress in its entirety the enemy of people because they didn't do it on short notice, then extending the moratorium and claiming there's nothing wrong with it and he can do whatever he wants because he's the president and has the best priorities .
Old 08-05-2021, 02:07 PM   #2796
Kodos
Resident Alien

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
Old 08-05-2021, 06:44 PM   #2797
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Gretzky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:16 PM   #2798
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
I think he did it because of political pressure, but nah it isn't Trumpian. I think it was a normal, inappropriate presidential political action. Trumpian would be declaring Congress in its entirety the enemy of people because they didn't do it on short notice, then extending the moratorium and claiming there's nothing wrong with it and he can do whatever he wants because he's the president and has the best priorities .

Numerous legal scholars agree that he has absolute right to create this executive order.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:31 PM   #2799
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Numerous legal scholars agree that he has absolute right to create this executive order.

Create is one thing, but what legal scholars are arguing that this will pass constitutional muster?
Old 08-05-2021, 07:36 PM   #2800
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't think abusing executive orders is a Trump thing. Bush was the guy who really pushed the limits and everyone since just kind of followed suit.