Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How soon will you take the vaccine?
Day 1 that it's available for me 25 42.37%
First month 13 22.03%
Second month 7 11.86%
Third month or later 12 20.34%
I'm a trout anti-vaxxer 2 3.39%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-2021, 05:40 PM   #151
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

My wife got her shot this morning at Kroger. The pharmacist said that up till this week they were doing ten shots a day, and would run out in two days. Today, they had 50 appointments and they have a full 50 every day this week. So it seems Georgia is raining shots at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:11 AM   #152
Hammer
College Prospect

I am up for a vaccine in a few weeks, probably the Astra Zeneca. Over the last few days France, Germany, in fact much of the EU has withdrawn the vaccine due to fears of blood clots.

Tensions continue at my wifes NHS hospital as numerous (almost all young) staff members refuse to have the vaccine. Upper management come back with it is your professional duty to do so. Their concerns are more over long term side effects as opposed to the blood clot risk.

I am still leaning towards having the vaccine as apparently the vaccine is very good at stopping you becoming very ill with Covid 19, rather than stopping you getting it. So pretty good chance I could catch it off my wife. Certainly risks to weigh up in my opinion.
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:54 AM   #153
bob
College Starter

Jumped on the Kroger website this morning. Yay, lots of appointments. Select one, then go to schedule the second dose. No appointments available. Can't change to another location for dose 2, can't schedule just the first. Try repeatedly at other locations, but no ability to schedule the second dose. So no appointment scheduled.

One of the local Kroger's had dose 1 appointments for today so drove there. They have the doses, but can't give me one because they can't schedule dose 2.

The fuck?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 07:59 AM   #154
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Jumped on the Kroger website this morning. Yay, lots of appointments. Select one, then go to schedule the second dose. No appointments available. Can't change to another location for dose 2, can't schedule just the first. Try repeatedly at other locations, but no ability to schedule the second dose. So no appointment scheduled.

One of the local Kroger's had dose 1 appointments for today so drove there. They have the doses, but can't give me one because they can't schedule dose 2.

The fuck?

Walgreens had sort of the same issue. It looked like open season, but it blocked you when you tried for dose 2. I had to keep trying over and over with different locations w/in driving distance until I got one.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:07 AM   #155
bob
College Starter

It just makes no sense - the pharmacist said they had a bunch of doses that they were unable to use because of this.

Should have just set up the national guard in parking lots and had people drive through to get shots.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 08:10 AM   #156
Kodos
Resident Alien

Connecticut has moved up the date for my age group, but still waiting to be eligible for shot 1. Maybe Cuervo and I can have a competition to see who gets it last on FOFC.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-16-2021 at 08:11 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:41 AM   #157
GrantDawg

Of course my shot had to come with an adventure. I got to the Kroger and there are like 10 people in front of me. So I stand in line and wait. Slowly the line goes forward, but I mean SLOW. Meanwhile, I try to pull up my insurance card on my phone (I was never sent real cards) and the app said it didn't recognize my password. I just logged in Saturday and had no problems then, but now it just won't. I hit "forgot password" and it says it will send me an email. No email. Did this multiple times. Still no email. Then I log in through the web-browser and it logs right in with same password. Go to id card on it, and it doesn't have the prescription number on it, only the app does. Sigh.

At this point I am 40 minutes past my appointment time, and the pharmacist calling names for people who had just walked in the door. I finally get her attention and point that out, and she tries to look me up. No appointment. Showed her the email verifying the appointment. She looks further, no appointment. She says It is fine. We have an extra dose. We'll get you in." Of course I still didn't have the prescription number, but she said to just call her later with it. I verified also my follow-up shot was also not scheduled in the system, so now they also are going to have to contact me later to schedule that.

Basically, all things electronic sucks, but I got my shot. The people at Kroger are nice and considerate, just don't trust their appointment system.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 03-16-2021 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:45 AM   #158
GrantDawg

Btw, I was never once asked a question of whether I qualify. I do, but I was never asked.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:17 AM   #159
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I really get the impression that in the last couple of weeks, we've switched from "scarcity and groups matter" to just "shots in the arm as fast as possible"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:38 PM   #160
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I really get the impression that in the last couple of weeks, we've switched from "scarcity and groups matter" to just "shots in the arm as fast as possible"

SI

I gp back and forth on this. Is it better to vaccinate our more vulnerable people but at a slower rate, or better to go as fast as possible. Obviously when you just try to go as fast as possible people without access to tech are going to suffer, and those are also the people most susceptible to covid.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 01:26 PM   #161
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Obviously when you just try to go as fast as possible people without access to tech are going to suffer, and those are also the people most susceptible to covid.

This is probably an under-considered point.

My m-in-law is 92, barely manages (and I use the term loosely) an old-fashioned flip phone (forget smart phones), can't manage a 3 level phone tree worth a damn, and is so hard of hearing that even phone calls produce a lot of ... interesting ... misheard things.

Had we not been involved, I see no realistic chance she'd have gotten vaccinated.

For that matter, I'm not sure that she'd have even had access to the phone number to attempt to call.

MAYBE she would have eventually seen a sign at the drugstore, but beyond that ... there's no TV news that applies to her locally, I've seen no mail pieces, I can't tell you the last time she noticed a billboard (and do we really want her trying to write down the number while driving?), radio in this town is effectively invisible, and the newspaper is hardly worth a dime much less their subscription cost.

My point here, I guess, being that "access to tech" may not even be the only factor limiting access in a lot of places.

edit to add: re the newspaper bit -- my m-in-law is, thankfully, financially stable. But the same could not be said for the majority of local residents who fit her demographic profile otherwise ... meaning the subscription isn't remotely an option for them.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-16-2021 at 01:28 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 09:21 PM   #162
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Tomorrow, my wife and her sister are eligible in NC.

There is a first-come, first-served 2,000 dose Pfizer drive-thru at a high school about 30 minutes east of my house from 8-noon.

They are going to get there at about 7:30 and hope that they can make it.

This same county ran out of vaccine last time they did this before it started, but I think that it was < 500 doses then.

I have no idea if 7:30 will be way too early or way too late. It's hard to know how much word has spread about this particular site.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:49 AM   #163
tarcone
Coordinator

Arm is sore today. Took some tylenol. That seems to be the only side effect.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:50 AM   #164
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Wife is eligible (cancer diagnosis) in Georgia, so she started looking around a bit.

Closest place she could find one available (as opposed to waiting list) was ... 101 miles away.

Seems a bit ... impractical ... in our current situation.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:37 AM   #165
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Tomorrow, my wife and her sister are eligible in NC.

There is a first-come, first-served 2,000 dose Pfizer drive-thru at a high school about 30 minutes east of my house from 8-noon.

They are going to get there at about 7:30 and hope that they can make it.

This same county ran out of vaccine last time they did this before it started, but I think that it was < 500 doses then.

I have no idea if 7:30 will be way too early or way too late. It's hard to know how much word has spread about this particular site.

They have been there for 5 hours now. They have armbands, so they think that means they will get a shot. But apparently the place has been at a standstill for hours.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:41 PM   #166
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I have 2 reasons!

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 01:44 PM   #167
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Walgreens had sort of the same issue. It looked like open season, but it blocked you when you tried for dose 2. I had to keep trying over and over with different locations w/in driving distance until I got one.

that happened to me a couple weeks back. I finally called the local one and they said it's the website's fault and they had a ticket in to fix the issue....but the answer was they had ZERO vaCCINE availaable for 1st time shots. All they had was leftovers from hospitals and only giving shot #2
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 02:00 PM   #168
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
They have been there for 5 hours now. They have armbands, so they think that means they will get a shot. But apparently the place has been at a standstill for hours.

They got their shots :-)
Old 03-17-2021, 02:03 PM   #169
Kodos
Resident Alien

Worth the wait!
Old 03-17-2021, 02:50 PM   #170
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Nice.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:52 PM   #171
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

How long until they turn into Zombies?
Old 03-17-2021, 02:58 PM   #172
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It's Pfizer, so I think that it's the fastest of the zombie-makers.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:52 PM   #173
GrantDawg

Don't worry. You are safe from zombies. They only eat brains.

Old 03-17-2021, 07:46 PM   #174
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Wife is eligible (cancer diagnosis) in Georgia, so she started looking around a bit.

Closest place she could find one available (as opposed to waiting list) was ... 101 miles away.

Seems a bit ... impractical ... in our current situation.

I assume you live near Athens, and that does seem kind of out of my range, but I got my mom one at the GNR website (Gwinnett, Rockdale, and something). I ended up driving her Gwinnett for both appointments, but I assume maybe that is half as far for you? My wife's cousin got hers near Hapeville (her father lives in Tyrone area), which is probably too far as well. A few of my friends drove to Alabama, so I wonder if you can drive to SC (maybe closer than Gwinnett??).
Old 03-17-2021, 10:45 PM   #175
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I assume you live near Athens, and that does seem kind of out of my range, but I got my mom one at the GNR website (Gwinnett, Rockdale, and something). I ended up driving her Gwinnett for both appointments, but I assume maybe that is half as far for you? My wife's cousin got hers near Hapeville (her father lives in Tyrone area), which is probably too far as well. A few of my friends drove to Alabama, so I wonder if you can drive to SC (maybe closer than Gwinnett??).

Interesting possibilities all, I haven't messed with the website personally, I just know what she was telling me was coming up while she was doing it.

I do know, at least from that, none of the options to the south (Gwinnett, et al) were appearing. That might be availability but could also just as easily be something about the regionalized (by health district) nature of the process too (then again, the location she was getting south of Augusta is a different health district for sure sooooo ???)

The out of state thing is interesting, if nothing else because I realit that I dunno how I'd feel about that ... ethically? (for lack of a better word).

It's not the first time I've had to consider it, subject came up in regard to my Florida-residing son (Miami has been a center of some of the most controversy about non-residents coming in just for shots). In his case, he lives there year-round, I definitely felt like he was entitled to the same opportunity as any other Miami resident (turned out to be a non-issue since the university ultimately chose not to require vaccinations)
Old 03-18-2021, 06:33 PM   #176
tarcone
Coordinator

Side effects of Moderna: Wife felt like she was going to puke the night she got vaccinated. A guy I work with felt the same way until about 9 the next morning. A woman I work with was puking and had to leave work.

I still have a sore arm. No other effects for me.

Old 03-18-2021, 06:41 PM   #177
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

First shot? I heard that if you already had Covid, the first shot is most likely going to have bad side effects. But if you haven't then it'll be the second shot. My dad has a high fever for like 12 hours after his second Moderna shot.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2021, 06:56 PM   #178
tarcone
Coordinator

It was the 1st shot. The guy had the virus. Not sure about the woman. My has not had it as far as I know.

Old 03-18-2021, 06:57 PM   #179
GrantDawg

After Moderna first shot, my wife and I just have sore arms.

Old 03-18-2021, 08:32 PM   #180
Edward64
Head Coach

+8 days now.

Feeling all those antibodies (?) working, feeling almost invulnerable. After 2nd shot + 7 days, may go eat in a restaurant ... with spaced seating of course!

April 7 can't get here fast enough.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 06:06 AM   #181
Kodos
Resident Alien

Alright! Became eligible today, scheduled for Monday.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:25 AM   #182
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Yeah, Kodos! That’s what I’m talking about!
Old 03-19-2021, 07:22 AM   #183
Butter
Coordinator

Me and my oldest are scheduled for Saturday, we're the last 2 to get our first dose. By mid-to-late April we'll all be completely vaccinated.

My mom got her 2nd Pfizer shot on Wednesday and had zero side effects.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:02 AM   #184
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Alright! Became eligible today, scheduled for Monday.

What about Kang?
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 11:34 AM   #185
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Just got the first Pfizer vaccine. Took a while. Had an 11am appointment but I didn't get it until 11:30. And strangely the pharmacist squeezed my arm before giving the vaccine to me, which I heard they weren't supposed to do. Just a sore arm right now.

Also why is the vaccine card just a little bit too large for a wallet? That's annoying.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 03-19-2021 at 11:50 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:09 PM   #186
cliffjackie369
n00b

I'm eligible for the vaccine starting Monday. I knew binge eating during the pandemic would be beneficial to move me up in line!

work time - employee monitoring software
cliffjackie369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 12:45 PM   #187
pantera
n00b

I had Moderna. First shot resulted in a slightly sore arm for approx 24 hours. No other issues. On my 2nd shot -- well, I'd describe what the nurse did to me as a stabbing with a rusty nail rather than an injection. My arm immediately hurt due to her poor technique and stayed that way for a few days. The shot occurred at 1230pm. Other than the arm I was fine all day. Woke up in the middle of the night shivering. Had a 100.4F temp the next morning. No headache or nausea or weakness. Just a little tired. Temp was normal by the afternoon. Glad I got it!

Last edited by pantera : 03-19-2021 at 12:48 PM.
pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:28 PM   #188
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Anecdotally, we have noticed many more of our friends who have gotten the Moderna shot report symptoms than those who were getting Pfizer. Jenn used to be a nursing assistant, so we know a ton of people in the medical field who have already received both doses.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:00 PM   #189
SackAttack
Head Coach

Been watching like a hawk for WI eligibility, but the last I had heard, I was looking at the end of April or early May.

Assistant manager meeting yesterday, the district manager lets slip that we're eligible now because the state had revised eligibility criteria last Friday. I quickly confirmed that via the state website, hopped online and found an appointment for this morning at 10:50 (and why it took me 45 seconds to make that appointment after failling for four hours to try to snag a PS5 from various restocks I have no idea) and rolled up this morning expecting, per guidance from the provider's website, to be getting the J&J vaccine. It was worded vaguely, but it sounded like Pfizer for teachers, J&J for everybody else.

Neeeeeerp. Got my first Pfizer jab - which is honestly what I would have chosen had the choice been offered me, but they didn't offer me a choice; they just handed me my card and my ticket and said 'you're gonna get Pfizer today, make sure to make your return appointment before you leave - and so far the only effect has been a mildly sore arm after I woke up from a pre-work nap.

And that soreness passed after about ten minutes.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:03 PM   #190
tarcone
Coordinator

My arm is still slightly sore 3 days after the shot.

Old 03-19-2021, 04:27 PM   #191
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I just got eligible today but I'm having trouble finding an appointment.
Old 03-19-2021, 04:33 PM   #192
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Became eligible today as well, got a Sunday appointment for the Pfizer vaccine at the mass vaccination site that is starting this week at the soccer stadium. 2nd dose scheduled for April 18.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:07 AM   #193
lungs
Pro Rookie

Finally got through the Walgreen's site after trying all week... getting mine on Tuesday
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:34 AM   #194
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Only cause I mentioned a couple anecdotes here already, I'll mention this too.

Wife now has a Wednesday appointment now, about 45 minutes to the north of us.

And in one of those "well of COURSE they did" moments ... the date/time they originally sent her was the same as her upcoming bone doctor appointment in Atlanta. She was, however, allowed to pick a replacement time/date from a scheduler page online.

(Cause I feel like somebody may wonder ... I still have exactly zero interest in the shot myself, but I got no problem with anybody that wants one if it makes them happier. Hence, I feel like I can discuss practical points about the process just as well as anybody else)
Old 03-21-2021, 06:16 AM   #195
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
(Cause I feel like somebody may wonder ... I still have exactly zero interest in the shot myself, but I got no problem with anybody that wants one if it makes them happier. Hence, I feel like I can discuss practical points about the process just as well as anybody else)

I can see a person not wanting to take it right now because of the doubts raised by AZ (but maybe wait for another 2-3-4 months to be really sure of any bad side effects) and understand your doubts existed before then.

But your wife wants to take it and therefore, shouldn't you take it (believer or not) to reduce the chances of wife getting it ... even if its the same as the flu? Don't think anyone doubts this is communicable; at the very least for older people.

(Not trying for a guilt trip, just trying to understand the rationale)

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-21-2021 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:34 AM   #196
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
(Not trying for a guilt trip, just trying to understand the rationale)

It's simple: I firmly believe I run a higher risk of dying from my reaction to injections than I do from Covid.

Remember, I'm the extreme needlephobic that was on the brink of being coded because they couldn't arrest the rapid, and approaching catastrophic, decline of my blood pressure and heart rate.

The British Journal of Medicine noted in 2014 "Needle phobia of this kind has even been attributed to cause of death in 23 documented cases. In these cases the vasovagal response has been so severe and occasionally paired with arthrosclerosis, as to cause myocardial or cerebral infarction"

My vasovagal response to the situation has been so extreme that I feel like I stand a reasonably high chance of becoming the 24th ... and I really don't wanna go out like that.

edit to add: And that's true even with my firm belief that a Covid case stands a pretty fair chance of killing me. 3 pack a day smoker, at 53, I have to be realistic about my odds of any lung-related issue. I still like my chances better with Covid.

double edit: Just for the curious, I've only been stuck once in the last 25 years, and that took 5 people to accomplish safely. And it was roughly an hour before I regained consciousness. I've only been stuck twice in the last 30+ years.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-21-2021 at 09:38 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:05 AM   #197
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

FWIW I get stuck all the time. Have a weekly injection I take myself, get phlebotomies every 3 months with blood draws in advance, plus many tattoos. Needles don't bother me, but of all the shots I have had the covid vaccine was the easiest. I literally didn't feel it.
Old 03-21-2021, 12:48 PM   #198
Swaggs
Coordinator

I realize that there are a lot of steps between being comfortable with getting shots and where you are, but I work with folks with anxiety and these things are a God-send for the actual injection part of the phobia: https://www.amazon.com/Bionix-8050-S...6348552&sr=8-1

They basically stimulate the area of your skin around where you get the injection with a few dozen small spikes, so your nerves cannot actually feel the injection. Now, not having panic over the related thoughts and the actual visit to the office may be worse (and is for many people).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 01:40 PM   #199
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
panic over the related thoughts and the actual visit to the office may be worse (and is for many people).

Nailed it in one.

What you typed was literally difficult for me to read from, uh, how many hundreds of miles away?
Old 03-21-2021, 02:56 PM   #200
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
It's simple: I firmly believe I run a higher risk of dying from my reaction to injections than I do from Covid.

Remember, I'm the extreme needlephobic that was on the brink of being coded because they couldn't arrest the rapid, and approaching catastrophic, decline of my blood pressure and heart rate.

The British Journal of Medicine noted in 2014 "Needle phobia of this kind has even been attributed to cause of death in 23 documented cases. In these cases the vasovagal response has been so severe and occasionally paired with arthrosclerosis, as to cause myocardial or cerebral infarction"

My vasovagal response to the situation has been so extreme that I feel like I stand a reasonably high chance of becoming the 24th ... and I really don't wanna go out like that.

edit to add: And that's true even with my firm belief that a Covid case stands a pretty fair chance of killing me. 3 pack a day smoker, at 53, I have to be realistic about my odds of any lung-related issue. I still like my chances better with Covid.

double edit: Just for the curious, I've only been stuck once in the last 25 years, and that took 5 people to accomplish safely. And it was roughly an hour before I regained consciousness. I've only been stuck twice in the last 30+ years.

Sorry, didn't know about your phobia.