Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-24-2021, 08:09 PM   #51
miami_fan
Coordinator

Yeah. gymnastics is going to be a tough watch for me without the crowd.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:44 PM   #52
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I may not care for any of the athletes in these games, but my slime is tickled that they used the Dragon Quest them in the opening ceremonies.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:17 PM   #53
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

France has a pretty good basketball team.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:23 PM   #54
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
This Russian gymnast competing after tearing his Achilles IN APRIL is freaking nuts.

Wow, beyond nuts. I don't know the degree of his tear, but I had a complete rupture of mine and it was almost 10 months before I was even jogging again.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 12:31 PM   #55
Edward64
Head Coach

You didn't have left over East German "medical" supplies.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:02 PM   #56
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Is it just me or does the basketball they're using in the USA-FRA game look like a big piece of baked bread?
Old 07-26-2021, 09:19 PM   #57
miami_fan
Coordinator

I understand the reasons why the Russian athletes are not competing under the Russian flag and name but aren't all the athletes technically representing their Olympic committee? Is there some sort of financial hit that Russia is taking?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 07-26-2021 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:13 PM   #58
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah I don't get what the punishment is, exactly.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:43 PM   #59
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Yeah I don't get what the punishment is, exactly.

No national anthem played.

That's about all the sanction that was left after the Court of Arbitration for Sport pretty much gutted the WADA sanctions earlier this year.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:08 AM   #60
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

No anthem and no flag. What a load of BS. I'm sure that's weighing heavily on them and will stop the illegal stuff in the future.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:59 AM   #61
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Simone Biles out for mental reasons.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:25 AM   #62
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
No national anthem played.

That's about all the sanction that was left after the Court of Arbitration for Sport pretty much gutted the WADA sanctions earlier this year.

Well boo, hoo. At an Olympics where there are no fans and the medal ceremonies are seldom shown anyway.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:56 AM   #63
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Us softball currently losing in the gold medal game. Not a good look for the USA this Olympics.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:11 AM   #64
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Japan is the better team. US didn't take its best hitters, too much loyalty to the old guard (although the older pitchers definitely produced). Japan won in 2008 as well so this was not unexpected. We were never going to get more than 1 run today.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:14 AM   #65
JPhillips
General Manager

The USA is still going to leave with the most medals and the most golds. We don't always win.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:36 AM   #66
JPhillips
General Manager

dola

I heard an interesting theory while I was getting my hair cut. Apparently, Simone Biles dropped out of the Olympics because she was upset that all of the track and field medals are going to be won by transgender athletes.

Sometimes a person says something so nutty that it instantly tells you that there's no point in any engagement.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:46 AM   #67
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
dola

I heard an interesting theory while I was getting my hair cut. Apparently, Simone Biles dropped out of the Olympics because she was upset that all of the track and field medals are going to be won by transgender athletes.

Sometimes a person says something so nutty that it instantly tells you that there's no point in any engagement.

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal - Fable
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:55 PM   #68
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Simone Biles out for mental reasons.

But she is still going to perform later ... WTF?

Quote:
“We’re going to take it a day at a time and see what happens,” she said, “I have to focus on my mental health.

“I just don’t trust myself as much anymore. I don’t know if it’s age, I’m just more nervous when I do gymnastics. I feel like I’m also not having as much fun. And I know this Olympic Games, I wanted it to be for myself. I’m still doing it for other people.”

The four-time Olympic gold medalist indicated, however, that she plans to compete in the all-around competition that begins Thursday and the individual apparatus events.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:25 PM   #69
tarcone
Coordinator

I cannot believe she waited until the end to drop. If you cannot mentally handle, which she knows, she should have given her spot to someone else.

I am not a fan of that decision.

Look how much shit Pippen took for sitting on the bench bcause he wasnt getting the rock.

Its a different world we live in.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:29 PM   #70
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Im sure she didnt know in advance. She wasnt as sharp as she usually is a couple days ago.

She is basically expected to be perfect(thanks media) in a sport where it is hard to be perfect. Id give her some leeway as she has usually stood up to pressure.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 07-27-2021 at 02:32 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 02:36 PM   #71
tarcone
Coordinator

This is the pinnacle of her sport and she is the best by far. Is there a message in there, then?

I just cannot fathom the best of the best bailing on her team. Or from a championship game of any sport.

Old 07-27-2021, 02:47 PM   #72
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Is there a message in there, then?

I dont think she was trying to hide anything. She wasnt handling the pressure and felt she was going to hurt the team. She stayed out and supported them.

Im not going to take anything away from her. She is an amazing performer. In a sport where the slightest miscalculation can cause serious injury she just wasnt feeling comfortable. She knows her body best.

She has always handled pressure very well so I am sure she is just as shocked by this. It doesnt feel like she is quitting on her team to me.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/simone-...astics-injury/
Quote:
On Monday, after a tough start in qualifiers, Biles shared on Instagram that the pressure of living up to her past performances has taken a toll on her mentally.

"It wasn't an easy day or my best but I got through it. I truly do feel like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders at times," Biles wrote on Monday. "I know I brush it off and make it seem like pressure doesn't affect me but damn sometimes it's hard hahaha! The Olympics is no joke! BUT I'm happy my family was able to be with me virtually. They mean the world to me!"

Last edited by jbergey22 : 07-27-2021 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:17 PM   #73
miked
College Starter

Quote:
This is the pinnacle of her sport and she is the best by far. Is there a message in there, then?

I just cannot fathom the best of the best bailing on her team. Or from a championship game of any sport.

Yeah, she was also repeatedly molested by her trainer as a child and everyone around her (except maybe her parents) likely knew about it and contributed to covering it up or ignoring it.

My daughter does competitive gymnastics, the pressure is unreal. Imagine a baseball player got 1 AB per game and either needed a HR or 3B or get cut.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:07 PM   #74
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

She got the "yips." It happens in all sports. Suddenly something routine just becomes impossible, whether it is throwing the ball to the pitcher, or hitting the strike zone. It has nothing to do with toughness. It is a weird brain thing.
She quit when she realized she was going to harm her team. That is a real team-mate. It wouldn't surprise me if she is done. She was already long in the tooth for a gymnast. If she can't over come this soon (and some never do), it is going to sadly tarnish the legacy of the greatest female gymnast ever.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 07-27-2021 at 04:09 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 04:40 PM   #75
RainMaker
General Manager

I didn't see it as her quitting. She was clearly rattled and couldn't do what she wanted to. Instead of hurting the team, she asked to be subbed out.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:28 PM   #76
molson
General Manager

Quote:
dola

I heard an interesting theory while I was getting my hair cut. Apparently....

This is why I only go to Supercuts.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:05 PM   #77
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I cannot believe she waited until the end to drop. If you cannot mentally handle, which she knows, she should have given her spot to someone else.

I am not a fan of that decision.

Look how much shit Pippen took for sitting on the bench bcause he wasnt getting the rock.

Its a different world we live in.

Or she did what we ask all athletes to do.

She went out knowing that she was not 100% due to a medical issue and gave it a shot. After giving it a go, she realized that she was could not perform with said medical issue. She knew that if she continued, she was going to hurt the team. She trusted that her teammates were good enough to be better in that moment than she would have been if she kept playing. In fact she did do what you suggested she do. She gave her spot to someone else. But that is not all. Instead of hiding in the locker room or going back to the Olympic Village, she stayed and cheered on her teammates and gave advice where she could. Finally, instead of hiding behind the statement that USA Gymnastics put out, she sat in front of the world and spoke to the press about her medical issue.

It goes without saying that the Pippen comparison is ridiculous. She was not sitting because she was not getting the rock. To continue the analogy, she was sitting because if she did not, the coaches would have been crushed for continuing to put someone out there who knowing her body better than anyone else, told them she could not perform on the night.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:20 PM   #78
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

NBC is showing the replay tonight with commentary that was clearly not recorded live. Their usual gymnastics commentators spent 5 minutes talking about the pressure she's under and immediately knew something was off. It really gross.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:00 PM   #79
tarcone
Coordinator

I do not know the pressure. But I know that many an athlete has been under as intense pressure as Biles, and they didnt quit.

I get you are calling this a medical issue. But is our society at the point where we just call it mental issues and make it a day? (was going to talk about mental toughness but decline)

Old 07-27-2021, 08:11 PM   #80
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I do not know the pressure. But I know that many an athlete has been under as intense pressure as Biles, and they didnt quit.

I get you are calling this a medical issue. But is our society at the point where we just call it mental issues and make it a day? (was going to talk about mental toughness but decline)

She is not a professional athlete. And I also doubt you know "many" athletes under her type of pressure. Maybe Michael Phelps and a handful of others.

Olympians train 4 years for this once in a lifetime opportunity in which you are carrying an entire nation. Its not the same as Adam Wainwright getting shelled in game 61 of 162.

Her mental toughness is off the charts. Did you miss the 2016 Olympics? I couldnt do what she does mentally. They cant take a moment off. She is 24 years old.

I loved the baseball example above. Imagine having 1 at bat to win a gold medal and you needed to hit a home run off of deGroom with a billion people watching and expecting you to do it.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 07-27-2021 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:13 PM   #81
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

If you know, or even think, that you can't perform at your normal level and someone else on the team would be better, isn't that the better choice to make? It was in a team competition, not a situation like in the case of a golfer or tennis player or an individual final where that's not possible and you'd still hope someone would do the best they could and let the chips fall where they may. Do we want, in whatever team sport, a 'star player' to try to play anyway even though the odds are that's going to hurt the team? That doesn't make sense to me.

I believe strongly that mental health etc. issues are important, but I also think deciding to be an Olympic athlete is to deciding to undergo that strain and stress. Those are two sides of the same coin/decision. Unless we can confidently say that what Biles did wasn't best for the team - and it seems to me that it probably was - I don't see what there is to criticize.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:19 PM   #82
GrantDawg

It was the best for the team, and best for her. Her trying to preform without the ability to focus would be like a race car driver driving without focus. It is not just tne risk of under performance. It is to put herself in danger of serious injury. She said she got lost on that vault. If she lands wrong, she could be seriously and permanently injured.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 07-27-2021, 08:19 PM   #83
QuikSand
lolzcat

I love how everyone understands exactly what happened there
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:22 PM   #84
GrantDawg

I understand what she said happened.

Old 07-27-2021, 08:53 PM   #85
tarcone
Coordinator

Hey, Michael, you got food poisoning, you gonna quit?" "Nah, I'll drop 38."

Did you see the Russian male gymnast that competed and was successful less thn a year after rupturing his achilles. Pussy.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:03 PM   #86
miami_fan
Coordinator

So are you saying that mental health is not really that serious and she should have just woman'd up and tough it out?

Also are we really that confident in using an athlete that is competing for the ROC and the reason behind that distinction, as an example of doing it the right way?
Old 07-27-2021, 09:06 PM   #87
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
So are you saying that mental health is not really that serious and she should have just woman'd up and tough it out?

Also are we really that confident in using an athlete that is competing for the ROC and the reason behind that distinction, as an example of doing it the right way?

What Im saying is you have THE greatest gymnast of all time just quit because she was stressed.

Mental toughness is a thing. And if you fold at the most important time of your sports season, then you are weak.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:07 PM   #88
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
What Im saying is you have THE greatest gymnast of all time just quit because she was stressed.

Mental toughness is a thing. And if you fold at the most important time of your sports season, then you are weak.

That's unfair. Lots of athletes get the yips and we generally don't say they are weak.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:11 PM   #89
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
That's unfair. Lots of athletes get the yips and we generally don't say they are weak.

How many high level athletes quit on their teams in the premiere event of their sport? How many of them were called weak? I already brought up Scottie Pippen.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:13 PM   #90
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
How many high level athletes quit on their teams in the premiere event of their sport? How many of them were called weak? I already brought up Scottie Pippen.

Ronnie Harmon should have quit in 86 in the Rose Bowl. The Hawkeyes might have won.

wiki
Quote:
Harmon was better known for his receiving rather than his rushing capabilities, a reputation he earned after committing four fumbles, all of which resulted in turnovers, in a 45-28 loss for Iowa against UCLA in the 1986 Rose Bowl Game. It was a disappointing end to an otherwise superb season for Harmon, who rushed for 1,111 yards, caught 49 passes for 597 yards, and scored 10 touchdowns. Harmon finished his four seasons at Iowa with 4,028 yards from scrimmage, 126 receptions, 30 touchdowns, and 626 return yards on special teams.[1]

Last edited by jbergey22 : 07-27-2021 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:17 PM   #91
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Ronnie Harmon should have quit in 86 in the Rose Bowl. The Hawkeyes might have won.

wiki

FUCKING Ronnie Harmon threw that game. The mob had his ass in a sling. That wasnt competitive pressure, that was life or death pressure.

Fuck that guy,

Old 07-27-2021, 09:19 PM   #92
tarcone
Coordinator

Biles is a product of her environment. That is all it is. Her generation is more concerned about social emotion well being than competitive success.

Skynet is drooling right now.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:27 PM   #93
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Ok let's carry this out a bit. She performs. The only acceptable result is being food poisoning Michael Jordan equivalent in gymnastics because she is the greatest of all time. Let's say all of that happens but it is at the expense of her mental health.

Take that bolded part out as far as you would like. Is she still strong no matter what it does to her mental health and what results from that?
Old 07-27-2021, 09:30 PM   #94
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Biles is a product of her environment. That is all it is. Her generation is more concerned about social emotion well being than competitive success.

Skynet is drooling right now.

This is not competitive success?

Quote:
Biles, 24, is one of the most decorated gymnasts in Olympic history. She tallied four golds and six total medals at the 2016 Rio Games, including gold medals in the all-around and vault competitions. No gymnast in history has more medals in international competition.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:34 PM   #95
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Ok let's carry this out a bit. She performs. The only acceptable result is being food poisoning Michael Jordan equivalent in gymnastics because she is the greatest of all time. Let's say all of that happens but it is at the expense of her mental health.

Take that bolded part out as far as you would like. Is she still strong no matter what it does to her mental health and what results from that?

Because no athlete ever had trauma. Damn, how many movies have been made because of humans overcoming internal/external strife and succeeding and becoming better humans.
How many many movies have we seen where the protagonist quits?

Shit is real. She quit her team and deserves to be called out for what she is. ALL athletes at the highest level go through trauma. It is why they are the top.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:34 PM   #96
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
It was the best for the team, and best for her. Her trying to preform without the ability to focus would be like a race car driver driving without focus. It is not just tne risk of under performance. It is to put herself in danger of serious injury. She said she got lost on that vault. If she lands wrong, she could be seriously and permanently injured.

The article I quoted above said ...

Quote:
“We’re going to take it a day at a time and see what happens,” she said, “I have to focus on my mental health.

“I just don’t trust myself as much anymore. I don’t know if it’s age, I’m just more nervous when I do gymnastics. I feel like I’m also not having as much fun. And I know this Olympic Games, I wanted it to be for myself. I’m still doing it for other people.”

The four-time Olympic gold medalist indicated, however, that she plans to compete in the all-around competition that begins Thursday and the individual apparatus events.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:35 PM   #97
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
This is not competitive success?

And she quit this Olympics. So we should celebrate the success and ignore the failure?

Old 07-27-2021, 09:38 PM   #98
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And she quit this Olympics. So we should celebrate the success and ignore the failure?

Yes. She is 24 and an unpaid athlete. Its a bit different if a 30 million dollar player cant get a hit.

She has sacrificed her life to gymnastics and has put in the time. She is an American gold medalist and deserves to be praised.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 07-27-2021 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:40 PM   #99
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

I don't consider it a failure but even if I did, the same environment produced both.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:51 PM   #100
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Yes. She is 24 and an unpaid athlete. Its a bit different if a 30 million dollar player cant get a hit.

She has sacrificed her life to gymnastics and has put in the time. She is an American gold medalist and deserves to be praised.

FWIW

Quote:
Simone Biles estimated net worth stands at around six million dollars, according to Celebrity Net Worth. Her status as a World Champion since 2013 has led to many lucrative sponsorship deals, which account for the majority of her wealth.