Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How's everyone feeling?
1. A little deadlier than flu but not a big deal 4 7.14%
2. I'm concerned but still think people are overreacting 9 16.07%
3. Definitely worried, lots of deaths coming but not near 1% 18 32.14%
4. Really, really worried, lots of deaths at 1% or more 20 35.71%
5. Close to freaking out. Stocked up and ready to self isolate for a while 5 8.93%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-19-2020, 12:14 PM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

COVID-19 - 3/19 - Poll #5 - How's everyone feeling?

74 voted in the 3/13 poll (now closed) that asked the same question, I think that is pretty much a full house of posters.

Same question after 6 days just to see how mindsets have changed.

EDIT: Oh yeah, no Trout. Don't even think about whining about it.

3/13 Poll #1 - COVID-19 - 3/13 - Poll #1 - How's everyone feeling? - Front Office Football Central

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-19-2020 at 01:15 PM.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:46 PM   #2
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I've moved from a 2 to a 3, and I'm not sure 4 isn't the right answer. I think I was more prepared than most, and it's clear I wasn't nearly prepared enough. It still appears to me that there's a big split between the 'no big deal' and panicking crowd, and I'm still in the middle of those but the results we're seeing in 'locked-down' European countries aren't encouraging. More and more convinced that esp. in less-developed countries we're never going to have a real handle on what the true human cost is. At the same time, still think apocalyptic thinking is going too far.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:52 PM   #3
Radii
Head Coach

5 - not "freaking out", but at the absolute highest level of concern that i think can rationally be attained in viewing the situation. Our responses to this in the USA are still far too weak, the inconsistency from the federal government is seriously harming our efforts, and too many people aren't doing their part as individuals. We're 10 days behind Italy and still following their patterns/curves on new cases far too closely for comfort, and we don't seem appropriately concerned.

Last edited by Radii : 03-19-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:57 PM   #4
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Was a 3 on both polls. I think we have to keep social distancing until we can get any kind of legit data on the virus spreading.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:59 PM   #5
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I still voted 2. I'm still more worried about the damage our reaction will cause instead rather than the virus itself.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:01 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

A 4 but right on the edge of 5. I haven’t gone into hoarder never leave the House mode yet. My son and wife both have medications that refill next week. We are going to do a supply run then and see where things are at.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:03 PM   #7
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW, I'm still at #3 for this week.

My "fear" gauge has gone up but still think we have a fair chance of keeping it way below 1% and since last Wed 3/11 (let's call that the "Trump fails to read" speech) it does seem Trump is taking this seriously and government is actively supporting Fauci, CDC etc.
  • Increased testing ... for real now vs. just words prior to last week (Wed)
  • Shelter-in-place precedence has been set (however half-hearted the attempt is)
  • Schools & colleges are shut down for remote learning
  • Businesses encouraging remote work and no business travel
  • Most people (other than those freaking Gen Z at the FL beaches) seem to appreciate the situation as evidenced by shortage of staples
  • etc.
I still have my stockpile of canned food, rice, pasta etc. but am concerned about getting more staples - only 4 more eggs left, lettuce is gone, milk expires on 3/22 etc. I went to online Costco & Walmart yesterday. A ton of out-of-stock food.

As I said in another post, I expect our supply chain for food to be impacted for 4-6+ weeks where we will be "highly inconvenienced" and not get what we want when we want it.

Looking forward to the government check(s) so I can spend it on "wants" and cheer myself up.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:11 PM   #8
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
My son and wife both have medications that refill next week. We are going to do a supply run then and see where things are at.

Why wait to refill, just do it? We got my daughter's asthma prescription refilled at CVS. Whereas it would normally be come by this afternoon, they asked us to come next day.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-19-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:18 PM   #9
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm darn near a 4 at this point.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:23 PM   #10
Butter
Coordinator

3 1/2, but chose 4. Have just been staying in mostly, with occasional forays to the grocery store.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:30 PM   #11
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm at 3. I do think while there have been some knuckleheads out there, a lot of Governors and Mayors have decided to take things really seriously which will help matters a lot
Old 03-19-2020, 01:35 PM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Why wait to refill, just do it? We got my daughter's asthma prescription refilled at CVS. Whereas it would normally be come by this afternoon, they asked us to come next day.

It is a controlled substance so they are very anal about it. I called them and they won't do it ahead of time.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:36 PM   #13
PilotMan
Head Coach

Definitely in the 3.5 group. Worried, think it'll be bad, trying to be prepared and optimistic.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:38 PM   #14
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
current US mortality rate is 1.38%
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:41 PM   #15
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

Or 1.7% in another stat that I saw.

However, the number of infected is clearly under-reported (for now) so I'm hoping the mortality % will go down.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:53 PM   #16
Jas_lov
College Starter

4. Things are going to get worse. There aren't enough tests so who knows how many people are out there infecting others. Trump has no clue what he's doing and only cares about himself. He's the last person you'd want in charge right now. Some governors have taken the right actions so they've given me some hope.

And when/how does this get better? If we go back to normal in May won't there still be people out there infecting others? Then we just have to shut down again. I've been working from home and only go out to the grocery store and walk the dog or go for a run. People are going to get restless of this lasts through the summer.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:56 PM   #17
Thomkal
Head Coach

I'm at 2 1/2. Don't think everyone is over (or under) reacting yet, but more and more taking it seriously and doing the right things now. And as long as Trump/Pence have no control over the scientists testing vaccines, I think right now we can weather the storm.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:04 PM   #18
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Still a 3 (and still in between 2 and 3).
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:54 PM   #19
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I just don't buy any of these numbers (for good or bad). There's a 0% chance that we have only 11,600 cases in the US as it has been reported. My guess is it is closer to 60K (and climbing). I also don't know if people are recording all the deaths properly. My *guess* would be we are at 60K and around 300-400 deaths - but that is just a guess. I think/hope once we get a better idea of the full scope of who has the virus, the mortality rate will be in the 0.5-0.8% range. But we need good data before we have any confidence in this stuff.

Last edited by Arles : 03-19-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:00 PM   #20
Radii
Head Coach

Mortality % isn't particularly a stat that I care about too much, other than noting the disaster that happens if we run out of ventilators or if the hospital system otherwise gets overwhelmed. Limited testing available for primary care docs vs Hospitals seems like its an issue as well. So in that regard, I'm concerned about mortality % spiking due to our negligence. If we manage to keep our mortality rate lower than some European country, but identify that our failures across the board allowed 100 times more cases than we could have had if we were truly prepared, that's going to be how I judge things as far as my feeling about people dying in the US from the virus.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:16 PM   #21
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW, the orig 3/13 poll had 41% for 1 & 2.

Current 3/19 poll is 21% for 1 & 2.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-19-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 04:27 PM   #22
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Still a 3 (and still in between 2 and 3).

Same. but I put 2 again, though it is 50/50 between those two to me, but I went 2 mainly in reference to the hoarding. Even at a 3 at this point in time there is no reason to think we will not continue to be able to get basic supplies.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:50 PM   #23
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I probably took more solace than I should have from a corporate recruiter/headhunter telling me she thought we'd all be back to normal in a couple weeks....I mean she should know, right?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:31 PM   #24
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

She's wrong. My mentor at work was basically 'no way the extend the shutdowns' which around currently are in place through March 30. This is just beginning.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:58 PM   #25
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I probably took more solace than I should have from a corporate recruiter/headhunter telling me she thought we'd all be back to normal in a couple weeks....I mean she should know, right?

FWIW, there's been 2 colleagues that have sent goodbye-enjoyed-working-with-you emails in the past week. They accepted other positions.

Not sure the timing but at least companies have not been retracting offers.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:28 PM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm a 1 for the virus, which is what I feel like the poll attempts to measure.

I'm about a 4.8 on concerns about the economic damage and what fallout we may see from any further governmental attempts to "isolate" may incur.
Old 03-20-2020, 04:18 AM   #27
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm still a 2 for the virus. I'm with Arles in that I feel the infection rate in most countries would be far higher than what is officially reported due to the large number of asymptomatic infected folks.

Our testing program here is probably better than in the US, but we are still being directed to call a hotline that does a quick diagnosis over the phone before you can organise a test, which means again asymptomatic (non-celebrity) folks are just not going to be tested.

I'm maybe a 3 out of 5 if we are grading how concerned I am about society falling apart over the next few months. I'm glad my wife has a 6 month supply of insulin for her type 1 diabetes, because folks are apparently hoarding that also. Can still find basic supplies if you avoid the feral scenes at most supermarket chains here and go to smaller stores (gas stations, corner stores, etc), and pay a little more. I don't think that will change until the infection rates start to fade away and the press moves onto the next big story, which could be months.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:29 AM   #28
Edward64
Head Coach

This poll was primarily about the virus but can see how "economic damage" is playing a bigger and bigger role in people's thoughts. Economic damage should be factored in addition to 1% mortality criteria (I suspect there would be many more in 4 & 5).

The 3 options I see are:

1) Adjust the wording to include "economic damage" somehow
2) Add more categories (e.g. from 5 to maybe 10)
3) Create a separate poll specific to "economic damage"

I'll think about it for next week's poll. Don't like option 3. Suggestions are welcome.

BTW - you guys are free to create new polls yourselves ... have fun at it

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-20-2020 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-20-2020, 07:41 AM   #29
Kodos
Resident Alien

via GIPHY

Old 03-20-2020, 07:50 AM   #30
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Still between 4 and 5. Have been impressed by institutional response to this (sports leagues, some companies, etc). Individuals, on the other hand, have been downright awful.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:55 AM   #31
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Have been impressed by institutional response to this (sports leagues, some companies, etc).

It has been pretty amazing to me that we in the US may have been saved by our sports leagues - things really got into gear once the NBA suspended.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:43 AM   #32
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It has been pretty amazing to me that we in the US may have been saved by our sports leagues - things really got into gear once the NBA suspended.

Yeah that and Tom Hanks were the 1-2 punch about the same time. I think a lot of people were thinking this is a Chinese disease that some old people got on a cruise ship and in a nursing home. Then a mega-rich celebrity got it. Kind of like Magic Johnson and AIDS.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 07:10 PM   #33
Edward64
Head Coach

55 votes so far (vs 74 from last weeks same poll).
Last week 1 & 2 = 41%, this week its 24%
Last week 3 = 28%, this week its 33%
Last week 4 = 24%, this week its 34%
Last week 5 = 3%, this week its 9%
Old 03-21-2020, 07:19 PM   #34
tarcone
Coordinator

I have fallen into the middle of the road group.

This is worrisome and needs to be dealt with. And what is happening should.

I realize its not fake. And people need to take it seriously.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:53 AM   #35
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I have fallen into the middle of the road group.

This is worrisome and needs to be dealt with. And what is happening should.

I realize its not fake. And people need to take it seriously.

Were you a 1 or 2 last week (and now a 3)? Was there a certain aha moment that made you up your concern or just a culmination of the news/articles/negativity?