Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How's everyone feeling?
1. A little deadlier than flu but not a big deal 2 4.88%
2. I'm concerned but still think people are overreacting 6 14.63%
3. Definitely worried, lots of deaths coming but not near 1% 13 31.71%
4. Really, really worried, lots of deaths at 1% or more 14 34.15%
5. Close to freaking out. Stocked up and ready to self isolate for a while 6 14.63%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

COVID-19 - 3/26 - Poll #8 - How's everyone feeling?

Continuation of the weekly "how are you feeling" poll.

(I did decide not to try incorporate the economic factor into the poll. TBH, I really didn't know how to without expanding the list of options and wanted to keep it simple)

Progression of concerns from 3/13 to 3/19
74 votes decreased to 56 votes
1 & 2 = 41% down to 23%
3 = 28%, relatively stable at 32%
4 = 24% increased to 36%
5 = 3% increased to 9%

3/19 Poll #5 - COVID-19 - 3/19 - Poll #5 - How's everyone feeling? - Front Office Football Central
3/13 Poll #1 - COVID-19 - 3/13 - Poll #1 - How's everyone feeling? - Front Office Football Central

Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:05 AM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Where is the option for 'please no more polls'?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:10 AM   #3
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Where is the option for 'please no more polls'?

I'll be sure to create a poll to see how many think polling (or at least this one) is informational vs "insipid". But you do you and feel free not to participate.

I think its fascinating to see how forum member's thoughts, feelings shift.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:19 AM   #4
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I'm staying at 3, and a more confident 3 than I was. But 4 is not out of the question either. I really like what Fauci has been saying about getting more testing data from widespread areas of the country and doing localized containment etc. I also don't have any confidence that we will appropriately take such a coordinated approach.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:20 AM   #5
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm still at a #3 this week.

I know deaths are increasing and know it'll get worse before getting better but overall feel somewhat better (or is it acceptance?) than past couple weeks.

Compared to Trump's oblivious "I can't read" speech two Wed ago, I see most people taking this seriously, the non-medical supply chain hasn't crashed (other than for toilet paper and hand sanitizers), and we have Fauci to cut through all the BS.

Economic impact is going to be horrendous but with the stimulus package about to pass, it lessens my fear some. Also helps that this poll comes right after 2 and possibly 3 good days on the stock market.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-26-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:27 AM   #6
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm still more concerned about the long term health of the economy than I am of the virus.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #7
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The thing I'm worried about is the next seven days. We are just about at capacity in some areas, and this week could see the "breaching of the levees"
Old 03-26-2020, 10:37 AM   #8
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Been #3 since the start
Old 03-26-2020, 10:38 AM   #9
spleen1015
Coordinator

I went 3 this time. I think I was a 4 last time.

I think a lot more people are infected than the numbers say.

I think this is going to last a lot longer than I did last week or the week before. Trump is not going to handle this appropriately and that is going to cause the problem to last longer and kill more people.

I hope local governments continue to do the right things.

In the end, I know I don't really know jack shit about any of this and I have to trust sources of information that may not be trustworthy.

Taking it day by day and trying not to let it impact me psychologically too much.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 03-26-2020 at 10:39 AM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #10
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yeah, I get that Spleen. I didn't go out much before this is over, but being enforced in on the rare days where I'm up to going out is rough. Really rough. Trying to stay positive though. It would be nice if it was a little bit warmer, and I could open the windows.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #11
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
The thing I'm worried about is the next seven days. We are just about at capacity in some areas, and this week could see the "breaching of the levees"

Yeah, this would freak me out for sure.

Looks like NY is the likely candidate. If I recall, it seems that DeBlasio wanted stay-at-home several days before Cuomo supported it. I'm hopeful for many other parts of the country "social distancing" caught on before it was too late.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:24 AM   #12
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Im still at a 2 and feeling more confident there, tbh.
Im not really sure though what separates a 2 from a 3.

I think this is a big deal and think lots of folks will perish attributal to this disease.

But..worldometer has us just over 1,000 deaths. 1% is ~3.3 MILLION. A million deaths would be (1/3) of 1%. I dont think we hit half that number.

I think social distancing and closings are good measures agree they should be happening. Despite that I still think many are vastly over reacting.

I think many people would do well to limit the amount of time they consume news on this. Stay informed for sure. Track it for sure. But keep it in perspective.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:27 AM   #13
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Im not really sure though what separates a 2 from a 3.

You are right that 2 & 3 are similar. The difference is the mindset - do you believe people are overreacting (no. 2) or not (no. 3).

I'm a 3 because I don't think most people or state government are overreacting.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-26-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:28 AM   #14
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

I'm still a 5 because of this basically. I'm not predicting that overall there is a fatality rate over some specific %, but New York is going to be overwhelmed any second now, and New Orleans looks like its set up for a very bad situation, there are just too many reports all across the country of nurses and doctors talking about how dire the situation feels. Even if we might understand what might happen because of this, once we actually start seeing the effects in New York City I'm worried about a new panic, and about the dialogue changing, possibly not in a way that's productive.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:34 AM   #15
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Atlanta just reported all of its ICU beds are full. Eeek..
Old 03-26-2020, 11:54 AM   #16
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Atlanta just reported all of its ICU beds are full. Eeek..

I'm in suburbia north of Atlanta. I wonder how those hospitals are doing right now.

I also read an article that southwest GA is getting hit (Albany) and the hospitals are being stretched.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:54 AM   #17
tarcone
Coordinator

I moved from 1 to 3 after my visit to Wal Mart today. Im kind of freaking out.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:55 AM   #18
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I'm still more concerned about the long term health of the economy than I am of the virus.

Ya, on a general optimism fear score I'm a 1 or 2 on the virus and 4 or 5 on the economy.

I don't fit the textual descriptions of 1 or 5 on either, I can just see the end of virus devastation but can't necessarily see the end of the impact on peoples' lives.

My girlfriend is at the grocery store 10+ hours 6 days a week right now so I'm kind of a fatalist in that regard. I either had it in February, had it or have it now without symptoms, or will have it soon. I'm prepared for that, as best I can be. The longer we both stay upright, the more likely it is we both had it in February.

Last edited by molson : 03-26-2020 at 12:05 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:56 AM   #19
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I moved from 1 to 3 after my visit to Wal Mart today. Im kind of freaking out.

What did you see at WalMart (other than no toilet paper & hand sanitizers) to freak you out?
Old 03-26-2020, 12:32 PM   #20
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
What did you see at WalMart (other than no toilet paper & hand sanitizers) to freak you out?

My wife and I have been at the store relatively frequently the last few days, and if anything she said things are getting better at the stores vs. the weekend or last week.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:37 PM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Still 1 on the bug, 4 to 4.5 on the health of the economy.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:55 PM   #22
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, these categories don’t make a ton of sense given how much we now know about the virus since it was first posted. I’m elements of 3, 4 and 5 depending on whether we are talking about economic/social impact or the severity of the actual virus. I guess I’ll pick 4 and split the difference.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:17 PM   #23
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I went with 4. I don't think we have even begun to see the full effect on our health care workers. Once the lack of PPE really sets in and more of them start getting sick you are going to see some real attrition. The healthier ones will have to try and pick up the slack, likely already exhausted, and a certain portion will likely say fuck it and decide to just not show up. I think the whole thing is a house of cards.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:20 PM   #24
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I think many people would do well to limit the amount of time they consume news on this. Stay informed for sure. Track it for sure. But keep it in perspective.

This. I have spent WAY less time on Twitter and don't put it on the TV at all after my 9 year old had a breakdown about what he was hearing. I listen a little in the AM and maybe a little before bed. Read an occasional article but that is about it. Earlier on in all of this I was consuming news like crazy because I felt it was important to be informed and all that did was make me paranoid. I am way more relaxed and resigned now. At this point it is more about adjusting to the new way of life and hoping in the back of my mind no loved ones get sick.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:23 PM   #25
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

It's just the social distancing thing. Im really trying to practice it. I feel like Im in a computer game at wal- mart. Where can I go to avoid people? So maybe its just the adrenaline pumping trying to do this. But Im staying out of stores from this point forward.

Old 03-26-2020, 01:25 PM   #26
tarcone
Coordinator

I take this as a personal thing. How do I feel? Im not thinking in trems of economy or the virus, just how I feel.

Old 03-26-2020, 01:33 PM   #27
QuikSand
lolzcat

The text of 5 is the best for for my POV, still. Doesn't necessarily mean I think the dead body count will be over the number referenced in 5.

That people here (smarter and more informed than the average bear) are already funding this tiresome and are downgrading their worry level... that is reaffirming my worry level.

I'm on a call w leaders in my state as I type, we "only" have 500 documented cases and a handful of deaths in this state, but everyone in the know is looking ahead at some uncertain "peak" when we expect our health care capacity to be completely overwhelmed.

Every person who posts cavalierly about how "it's all just wild speculation" as an argument to not do a fucking thing now makes me want to climb through the interweb and choke somebody.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:41 PM   #28
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
and remember, QS has HUGE hands. It will not be a pleasant death.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:47 PM   #29
tarcone
Coordinator

My wife got an email from a family and said they were quarantied because of contact with an infected person. SHe emailed the principal of the school she works at. He misinterpreted that as we came in contact. The head nurse called and said we are quarantied for 14 days. My wife cleared it up. But with me being a type 1 diabetic, she said I should go no where.

Well that sucks. But thats why Im freaking out. The underlying health conditions and this virus make it brutal.

I had the flu about 5 year ago. Knocked out for about 3 days. Puking and what not. I did not go to the doctor, just monitored myself. And, obviously, survived. This one scares me a little more.

Old 03-26-2020, 02:00 PM   #30
Jas_lov
College Starter

I'm at a 7. You look at the cases and deaths already reported today and this thing is spiking. And the day isn't even over yet. It's spreading like wildfire. And Trump has no plan for anything other than to pretend everything is wonderful and open back up on Easter. This will never end until we have nation wide testing and I haven't seen any progress on that. Trump just boasted yesterday that we've done more tests than South Korea but of course he failed to mention that we have 6 times as many people. Most governors are acting, thankfully, but then you get one like Desantis who does little. New York is already over run, Louisiana and Atlanta are over run, Florida is next and then the rest of us.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:30 PM   #31
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
It's just the social distancing thing. Im really trying to practice it. I feel like Im in a computer game at wal- mart. Where can I go to avoid people? So maybe its just the adrenaline pumping trying to do this. But Im staying out of stores from this point forward.

I can answer that, as it is a key part of my anxiety. Normally, it's just "They're judging me, laughing behind their hands at my limp, or my weight, or the fact I'm poor..." etcetera.

Now you throw in at a time where really, you're looking around going "Ok, which of these people can infect me, hey that person's moving to close, coming around the corner oh! nearly ran into someone. How long do you need to be near someone infected? God if I don't actually catch the coronavirus and die from that, the stress is going to kill me".

And down the rabbit hole you go. Once you give into the anxiety, it starts running rampant.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:37 PM   #32
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I can answer that, as it is a key part of my anxiety. Normally, it's just "They're judging me, laughing behind their hands at my limp, or my weight, or the fact I'm poor..." etcetera.

Now you throw in at a time where really, you're looking around going "Ok, which of these people can infect me, hey that person's moving to close, coming around the corner oh! nearly ran into someone. How long do you need to be near someone infected? God if I don't actually catch the coronavirus and die from that, the stress is going to kill me".

And down the rabbit hole you go. Once you give into the anxiety, it starts running rampant.

Damn dude.
That's legit heartbreaking to read. I hate that you are struggling with this.

I cant even pretend to comprehend the internal struggle. Hope it gets better for you.

And its trite but just remember "Fawk 'em. Who are they? Why do I care what they think."
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:38 PM   #33
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

Thats how I felt today. I saw this guy in the main aisle and backed into a side aisle. He looked at me. Kind of weird I thought. I walked around for a bit. Mty wife said she was going to the bathroom aisle, so I started to worm my way that way. I was going down an empty aisle and who did I see? The same damn guy that gave me the weird look. He did apologize, but still it was unnerving.

Old 03-26-2020, 02:42 PM   #34
BYU 14
Coordinator

Officially bumped my response to 3, much more worried since there are a lot of people who are under-reacting. Can't we just find a happy medium and be sensible?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:45 PM   #35
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Not a chance. This is what human beings do, esp. in a free society. Freedom is darned messy. Worth it, but still.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:51 PM   #36
tarcone
Coordinator

My damn neighbor now has his Dad over fixing something. In the last 24 hours he has had about 8 people over and now there is 6 cars at his house. Oh, and he is a realtor.

I get freedom, but damn, think of others.

Old 03-26-2020, 03:29 PM   #37
MIJB#19
Coordinator

For my homeland, still between 2 and 3, went with 3. I think the worst is still to come right after Easter.

For the USA, I fear the worst. Especially due to that one guy in charge, proclaiming y'all can go celebrate the defeat of Corona in church with Easter. Mind blowing stuff.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:57 PM   #38
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Damn dude.
That's legit heartbreaking to read. I hate that you are struggling with this.

I cant even pretend to comprehend the internal struggle. Hope it gets better for you.

And its trite but just remember "Fawk 'em. Who are they? Why do I care what they think."

Thanks. One good thing is the bar next door has been closed for the duration, so I'm actually sleeping at night without live music literally outside my window (my bedroom window looks right into the bar window)

Anxiety can make you question your own judgement too, especially when combined with depression. Some of you know that I went to the hospital for a couple of days early this month because I was freaking out real bad with all the uncertainties of my appointments, as well as trying to keep my meds filled (the doctor temporarily declined a refill of one of my medicines because I need blood work every few months to make sure that the medicine isn't actually HARMING me, and I hadn't had it done (not much chance of it happening either for the next couple months :P)

So, when the anxiety about being judged or being around others gets too much, it causes one to self-isolate, and can lead to missing appointments (you don't feel up to facing the world, or dealing with the fact you need non-emergency medical transport to go to an appointment 25 minutes away, which most people don't consider any type of big deal at all). Which just reinforces the whole thing..

Trust me, I'm an expert on this thing :P

edit: Just to use another example, I nearly deleted this post because I was thinking "Foz, they don't want to hear a "Woe is Me" post", and to stop feeling sorry for myself. One thing I'm doing is trying to find one positive song per day and post it on FB. Maybe we need a thread of positive music/vibes here too,

Last edited by SirFozzie : 03-26-2020 at 04:02 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:31 AM   #39
Edward64
Head Coach

Of interest possibly only to me, it looks like we have "stabilized" in our feelings as of this 3rd poll (with an uptick for 5).

My guess is most posters are now as fully knowledgeable (as can be for right now) and are settled in their assessment of the situation until the situation escalates or de-escalates.
Progression of concerns from 3/13 to 3/19 to 3/26
  • 74 votes; 56 votes; 35 votes (so far)
  • 1 & 2 = 41%; 23%; 24%
  • 3 = 28%; 32%; 29%
  • 4 = 24%; 36%; 34%
  • 5 = 3%; 9%; 14%

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-27-2020 at 08:33 AM.