Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-04-2007, 09:41 AM   #51
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Main point bolded . I think I didn't get to sleep until 6 AM that first day .

And it's a fun 'event', especially if you go to a B&N with midnight readings and whatnot.

If you go for the 'event' and/or plan on staying up all the first night reading, I can understand the desire to be in line. It is the people who wait in line, but they book, and then go home and go to sleep only to read the book the next day that I don't get.

BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:57 AM   #52
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
"Harry and the Potters" on the CD player,

Personally, I prefer "The Moaning Myrtles"...

http://www.myspace.com/themoaningmyrtles

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:47 PM   #53
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
If you go for the 'event' and/or plan on staying up all the first night reading, I can understand the desire to be in line. It is the people who wait in line, but they book, and then go home and go to sleep only to read the book the next day that I don't get.

Agreed. The point of waiting in line (even rather than going to Walmart at 12:30) is for the 'event'. And of course, getting it that early is so you can read it that night (or at least some of it).
Old 02-04-2007, 04:47 PM   #54
Celeval
Pro Starter

I picked up HP for the first time after book three - since then, I've had each one finished by 6am the next morning.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #55
Buccaneer
Head Coach

It appears they will split this book into two movies. Some feel that the middle part of the book really dragged and it would be awkward to script into a movie. I think they could condense the middle part and make it all one movie. Unless...the first movie will include all of that and the second movie begins when they arrive at Hogwarts. There is certainly enough there just at Hogwarts, the forest and King's Crossing for a complete movie. What do you think?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #56
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think it's cool that they are going to be able to have it be so in depth as long as they don't screw it up
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #57
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I agree with Bucc and hope that the 2nd part is from arriving at Hogwarts through the end of the book, they really need to give the final fight scene the time it deserves and not leave anything out...it's not just the climactic part of the book, but the whole series...it's all been leading up to that last battle.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:07 PM   #58
Pyser
Pro Rookie

uhhh

are you guys serious? you think they are splitting it up to make it a better movie?

i have another theory.

2 movies = twice as much money.

my theory wins.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #59
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
uhhh

are you guys serious? you think they are splitting it up to make it a better movie?

i have another theory.

my theory wins.

"Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter."

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:34 PM   #60
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
uhhh

i have another theory.

my theory wins.

Certainly that is a big factor in why they went through with the plan, but my guess is the genesis of the idea began when they set out to script it and found out how much they'd have to leave out with only one movie.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #61
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
uhhh

i have another theory.

my theory wins.

I think that much was obvious but what do I care?

I am a huge fan of the series and I would rather pay to see 2 movies and have it done right.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:47 PM   #62
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

It would be FANTASTIC if they would release both movies within a month of each other.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 08:55 PM   #63
Buccaneer
Head Coach

It'll be Nov 2009 and May 2010, I believe.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:30 PM   #64
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i wish theyd had this idea earlier, frankly. book 6 could be split up too
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:06 AM   #65
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Naw, Book 6 is really less able to be split, based on how the story works (the end battle isn't nearly as in depth as Book 7's). The split kind of works here because the 2nd movie can be basically just the last battle, in all of its glory and detail. It'll make the 1st movie of Book 7 suffer, but that's the breaks when you do something like this.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:45 AM   #66
larrymcg421
Head Coach

1st movie of book 7 should still be pretty damn good. Should have a pretty exciting opening and the whole Gringotts episode will be fantastic, not to mention Dobby's very cinematic death.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:55 AM   #67
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
1st movie of book 7 should still be pretty damn good. Should have a pretty exciting opening and the whole Gringotts episode will be fantastic, not to mention Dobby's very cinematic death.

I was trying to hit the turn point, the end of the first and start of the second, and I think that's it. Excitement just before it, a character who is cared for dies valiantly, Harry has new resolve to finish the job. Perfect spot to break the story into two.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:14 AM   #68
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I need to read book 7 again, I only read it once on the day it came out.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #69
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Well, you are not going to believe this but I just got done listening to Jim Dale's unabridged reading of all 7 Harry Potter books (starting about 3 weeks ago - 115 total hours). It was an incredibly fascinating and increasingly obsessive experience. By the time I got over the GoF hurdle and slogged through the beginning OotP, I could not stop listening to it during any spare time I had. Jim's reading and voice acting were amazing (not perfect but still the best audiobook narrater I've listened to). It was like seeing a full movie in your head. To me, he brought HPB to life better than I did when I read it, picking up on a number of things that I had missed. It was even more true with DH. As mentioned in this thread, I read it straight through in one sitting but it was wearisome. Listening to Jim's reading made everything in DH exciting and worth following all of the details (instead of skimming down the page). HBP and DH maintained a very high suspense and excitement level throughout all of the chapters that it was very hard to turn off. Highly recommend.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:13 AM   #70
saldana
Pro Starter

i have all 7 books on tape as well, and once i start, i have to keep going (listening at work, in the car)...I cant imagine how he keeps all the different voices he needs to use straight in his head, and the imagery created by his readings is way better than the things i envisioned in my head (agreeing with you here, bucc)

having them on my IPOD is the best thing ever.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #71
Celeval
Pro Starter

I was given by my wonderful and amazing wife the Harry Potter iPod a few years ago - the back has the Hogwarts crest engraved, and it came with the six audio books (we haven't yet picked up the seventh). Jim Dale is the man.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:06 PM   #72
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

He's also great as the narrator in "Pushing Daisies".
Old 09-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #73
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

As an aside was I the only person who thought the final book was only 'ok' ... I felt it was a little forced and spent its time trying to wrap things up rather than give a natural end to the story myself (unlike Lord of the Rings which built to a crescendo and left you wanting more imho).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #74
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Jim Dale is an alright narrator, but I must confess that I really would like to hear how Stephen Fry (the narrator of the UK audio books) reads them. I've heard Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy read by Fry and I absolutely loved him, and based on that, I think I'd prefer Fry's reading to Dale's. Alas, with the dollar so weak right now, I can't really justify ordering the UK audio book for the final tome (I have the Jim Dale versions for 1-6).

MV, you're not the the only one who thought that the DH wasn't her best book in the series (for me, that honor either goes to PoA or OotP, maybe HBP depending on my mood). A lot of it felt contrived, and frankly I thought the book would've been better without the epilogue.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #75
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, I think the epilogue is to prevent constant requests for "what happened to Harry", etc, etc.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:57 PM   #76
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I don't think there's a consensus as to what the "best" book in the series is. Seven was certainly the most hyped as there was the most build up but that's because it was the last. I think for me, it would be Half Blood Prince. However, how anyone could choose Order of the Phoenix is beyond me- anyone who likes having to slog through half a book of teenage angst can have it.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 07:57 PM   #77
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Well, I think the epilogue is to prevent constant requests for "what happened to Harry", etc, etc.

Oh, I know. But I still didn't like it. Felt...cheesy.

/tk
Old 09-28-2008, 09:07 PM   #78
Celeval
Pro Starter

I go back and forth as to which my favorite is.

That said... my take on the epilogue is that it read just the way she described it - in some interview, she said something along the lines of the epilogue had been written for years, like, back around the time of the first book. And while her style, her language, her overall writing ability evolved and improved through the books, the epilogue is jarring in that it reads much more like the first than the last.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #79
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I wish the epilogue had been more detailed, but otherwise, I was very happy it was there.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #80
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I was trying to hit the turn point, the end of the first and start of the second, and I think that's it. Excitement just before it, a character who is cared for dies valiantly, Harry has new resolve to finish the job. Perfect spot to break the story into two.

And circle gets the square.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:14 AM   #81
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

After a several year hiatus I finally checked out the books on CD again and finished it.

Really liked this. I didn't like book six mcuh even tho I loved 5. But then I saw the movie of 6 and loved it (quite the opposite of my previous experiences). More on this later.

Anyway really liked 7 and could actually find influence from other epic scifi fantasy within which is easy to do really. I kept picturing Rowling taking breaks over the 10 or so years she wrote it and seeing a movie and thinking "THAT'S what I need to do!" Can see Hobbit and Return of the King Obviously. Yes Star Wars... and okay There's Return of the Jedi- Lucas-fucked-with-ir edition. And...Matrix Returns?!? didn't see that coming...and what seems like the Smurfs Christmas special. Someone should have bought JK some new DVDs...
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:21 AM   #82
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Jim Dale is an alright narrator, but I must confess that I really would like to hear how Stephen Fry (the narrator of the UK audio books) reads them. I've heard Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy read by Fry and I absolutely loved him, and based on that, I think I'd prefer Fry's reading to Dale's. Alas, with the dollar so weak right now, I can't really justify ordering the UK audio book for the final tome (I have the Jim Dale versions for 1-6).

MV, you're not the the only one who thought that the DH wasn't her best book in the series (for me, that honor either goes to PoA or OotP, maybe HBP depending on my mood). A lot of it felt contrived, and frankly I thought the book would've been better without the epilogue.

/tk

+1!

I didn't read any of the books. I listened to the books on CD of 4, 5, 6, and 7.
5 I loved. But 6...6 I did not. Lots of conversation and just nothing happening. Then I SAW 6. The movie. And loved it! It was the best one since 1 for me. Why? Of course. First class actors like Michael Gambon and Jim Broadbent just really showing us what acting is. And wow Tom Felton turning it on too! Then it dawned on me. This is what Jim Dale is missing. This is why I've had little persnickety problems with the whole HP series and have thought that some of JK's writing was just kinda fluffy and didn't hold much weight even when she tries to. It's Dale, isn't it. Dale just isn't that good of an actor. He's a great narrator. His narration has a criisp eerie tone and was a good complement for the narrative. But when doing characters it's just all camp and accents. There was little feeling little emotion where it really really needed it. Granted Fry hasn't really done a TON of acting outside comedies, but he does have a sensitve soul I think. I really think he could bring it without doing all the funny voices.
Must find some.

Can't wait to watch the other movies now.
Have 7Pt 1 in hand ready to go. Although I've somewhat heard the movies were disappointing. Probably are compared to the book itself. THe whole "thought" thing.
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:33 AM   #83
gstelmack
Pro Starter

[quote=CrimsonFox;2636700Can't wait to watch the other movies now.
Have 7Pt 1 in hand ready to go. Although I've somewhat heard the movies were disappointing. Probably are compared to the book itself. THe whole "thought" thing.[/quote]

7Pt 2 was a VERY good movie.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #84
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
7Pt 2 was a VERY good movie.

I actually haven't seen it yet. And for movies 1-5, I went to midnight release-day showings.

/tk
Old 04-09-2012, 07:39 AM   #85
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I actually haven't seen it yet. And for movies 1-5, I went to midnight release-day showings.

/tk

Standing ovation in the theater at the end of 7 part 2. The key is for book 7 they didn't try to cram everything into a single 2.5 hour movie. I wish they had done the same for movies 4 through 6.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:03 AM   #86
spleen1015
Coordinator

My opinion on movie 7 part 2

Spoiler
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #87
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Interestingly, Book 6 is one of my favorites. I loved the Half Blood Prince and all the discussion as to the background of Voldy and how he became who he became (and, of course, the reveal).

And I 1000000% agree with spleen. Without a doubt! I wonder why in the world they did it that way?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #88
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Interestingly, Book 6 is one of my favorites. I loved the Half Blood Prince and all the discussion as to the background of Voldy and how he became who he became (and, of course, the reveal).

And I 1000000% agree with spleen. Without a doubt! I wonder why in the world they did it that way?

The top 2 books to me were 3 and 6. I loved book 3 for the story behind Harry's parents and their friendships with Sirius, Lupin and Wormtail. I didn't like movie 3 because I felt they left a lot of the detail out of this part of the story.

I loved book 6 for the same reason you did.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #89
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I loved all of the books except the awful Book 4 and esp. loved Book 7 which I had read or listened to 4-5 times. But I didn't like the latter movies much at all - 5, 6 and 7b and of course, 4. The best of the bunch, imo, was 7a. I thought Yates was not a good director and the adaptations were quite weak. 7b was embarassing in parts and gimmicky in others, nothing more than Wizard Spy Kids.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #90
Autumn
Head Coach

I agree absolutely about the movie, Spleen. Things like that drive me crazy, where Hollywood writers change things from a book for no apparent reason, but end up taking away from the impact the scene in the book had.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #91
bronconick
College Starter

Heh. 6 and 7 were my least favorite. Mainly because the story went from the usual "Boy grows up to become a hero" to "Boy lets smarter friend do his thinking, blunders through a complicated scheme setup by a dead man to accidentally save the world, and nothing changes 20 years later." It was such a downer, I've never seen any of those three movies.

If she gets bored and decides she wants to buy another country, she can easily write another 7 books involving their kids fighting a dark lord rising right up out of the same flaws in the society.

Last edited by bronconick : 04-09-2012 at 09:04 AM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:05 AM   #92
spleen1015
Coordinator

They showed parts of that scene in all of the trailers and tv spots. So, I knew going in that they had butchered it. Nothing like going to see a movie and walking into the theater disappoint already.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #93
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I agree absolutely about the movie, Spleen. Things like that drive me crazy, where Hollywood writers change things from a book for no apparent reason, but end up taking away from the impact the scene in the book had.

Agreed. I understand changing things when they just can't work as well for the movie, but this was just for no real reason at all.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #94
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I think 7 part 2 did what it could to wrap things up given how butchered the earlier movies were cutting key parts out. I mean Neville is so critical to the ending in the books, but he's such a bit player for most of the movies. That entire story arc is cut out. Plus they have to bring the house elves back in after dropping their story for much of the movies.

So 7 part 2 was an excellent wrapup TO THE MOVIES, and did a great job I think given what it was left to work with.

My objections to the middle movies have been noted in here, I was confused as all get-out watching them until I read the books and was filled in on all I was missing.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:05 PM   #95
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My son is almost through book 6. Right around the corner of the big one. I know what is coming and am excited and sad for him at the same time.