Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Fable 2

Anyone picking this up tomorrow?

I'm VERY tempted!

Last edited by MizzouRah : 10-20-2008 at 11:54 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
heybrad
Norm!!!

I really want to, but I've been on such a hugh game binge lately (Head Coach, NHL09, NBA2K9), that I had to promise my wife I'd leave a game or two out there for her to buy me for Christmas.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
hukarez
College Starter

The collector in me will eventually pick it up down the road.

It's just that Fable kind of left a bad taste in my mouth with all the hype so many years ago, I've kind of grown a bit numb to Peter Molyneux in general.
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Fable isn't even my type of game but my friend plays it a lot and it seems fun. I will probably go play it at his house first before I decide.

Problem is there are so many games coming out I want to buy in the next month, like Gears 2, Call of Duty 5 and Left 4 Dead amongst others, that I need to be cautious or else I may not even play Fable 2 for months.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:17 PM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

After reading the IGN review.. which btw received a 9.5.. something tells me I have to pick it up.

I know what you mean with gaming though.. besides all the console games coming out.. there are plenty of text sims I'm playing right now as well...

Last edited by MizzouRah : 10-20-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
Anthony
Banned

i just beat Unleash The Force so i can put that towards any game purchase. i kinda liked the feel of something epic, but last time i played Fable i wasn't particularly excited about it and got bored halfway through. didn't feel as epic as i thought it would. didn't have that go anywhere do anything feel.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I bought the original Fable years ago and let my wife take first crack at it. I watched her play it for 10 minutes, we turned it off to get some sleep, and neither of us ever played it again. I think I'm going to read reviews and stuff this time before I jump into buying the new one.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #8
sabotai
General Manager

I loved the first Fable, but since I have had my attention on other games, I completely forgot about the sequel. I just ordered from Gamestop and should have it in a few days.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #9
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I have it pre-ordered. And I have a doctor's appointment at noon-15 tomorrow. Guess who's going to stop at GameStop on her way home from the doc appt (and isn't going back to work...hehehe).

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:40 PM   #10
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I really enjoyed the first one, but I'm so busy with other games and real life stuff that I'm just going to put it on the Christmas list and wait for it then.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:39 PM   #11
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I have it pre-ordered. And I have a doctor's appointment at noon-15 tomorrow. Guess who's going to stop at GameStop on her way home from the doc appt (and isn't going back to work...hehehe).

/tk

Allright terpkristin.. I want some impressions!!!

So many great games out or on the way out right now.... wow...
Old 10-20-2008, 10:47 PM   #12
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Fallout 3 comes out in 1 week. That's my #1 reason for not picking up Fable 2. The only review for Fallout 3 is from OXM and they gave it a 10. Even for OXM (who inflates their scores) that's quite impressive.

[/end threadjack]
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:13 PM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

ping: terpkristin
Old 10-21-2008, 11:22 PM   #14
sabotai
General Manager

My copy left Newark at around 10 pm. Chances are I'll get it tomorrow.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:28 AM   #15
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Picked it up yesterday for gf, plenty in stock at Best Buy.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:06 AM   #16
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

dola,

stalling my cravings for Fallout 3, I bought Dead Space and I must say, it was an awesome space survival horror game...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Old 10-22-2008, 07:50 AM   #17
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot View Post
dola,

stalling my cravings for Fallout 3, I bought Dead Space and I must say, it was an awesome space survival horror game...

Hell yea it is. Scary as shit but it's awesome.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:59 AM   #18
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I got Fable2 yesterday - its 'ok' imho, story line is fairly neat, graphics very nifty ...

Main thing I hate is that it 'tries' to give you a world and relationships with characters in the game - then allows you to accidentally hit the wrong button and cause terror in a town because you just fired a firebolt across a room ... thats stupid imho and there really should be a setting which says "I'm a nice guy who can't remember controls easily don't let me update someone accidentally" ...

An example of this was meeting an NPC hitting down instead of up and finding myself in a life or death battle with him, after which it told me I'd committed an evil act - errr didn't want to old chap ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:46 PM   #19
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Metacritic is pretty high on it, but is seems like it could be a miss for folks:
http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...xbox360/fable2
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #20
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Main thing I hate is that it 'tries' to give you a world and relationships with characters in the game - then allows you to accidentally hit the wrong button and cause terror in a town because you just fired a firebolt across a room ... thats stupid imho and there really should be a setting which says "I'm a nice guy who can't remember controls easily don't let me update someone accidentally" ...

This is one of my biggest complaints about the game, that a) it feels laggy when moving dialog along so you can accidentally hit a "negative" button when you're not trying to (think of how often you may hit the "A" button in a Final Fantasy game to get through things) and b) the icons seem small at times/hard to see, even on my 52" 1080p, so again, it's easy to hit the wrong thing accidentally. The other big complaint is that the camera doesn't always move like I want it to, so it can be hard to get a view of where I'm trying to go.

I also loathe the analog stick on the 360 controller, but I think that's a product of my girlie hands, I never feel like I have a good touch on it, so I wander around like I'm drunk in these types of games.

Also not a fan of the gold trail showing you where to go, but I heard that you can turn that off (haven't read the instruction manual yet) so that might not be too bad.

Graphics are gorgeous, story is engaging, and IMO worth the money I spent on it. I'm a little weirded out that my character keeps picking her butt, though.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:45 AM   #21
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Pretty good early impressions here......

Dubious Quality: Fable 2 (after 2 Hours)
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 08:51 AM   #22
Tigercat
College Starter

Question for any who can answer it: is the world open like Morrowind and Oblivion, closed off(made up of small areas where you can only walk along "paths") like the first Fable, or is it some combination of the two?

The first one would have been so much better if it was an open world.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:19 AM   #23
Anthony
Banned

that's what turned me off to the first one, the whole arrow pointing to where i had to go next. didn't feel as wide open as the game originally billed it.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:34 AM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Pretty good early impressions here......

Dubious Quality: Fable 2 (after 2 Hours)

Not really much in substance as far as impressions go.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:12 AM   #25
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Question for any who can answer it: is the world open like Morrowind and Oblivion, closed off(made up of small areas where you can only walk along "paths") like the first Fable, or is it some combination of the two?

Everything I gather is that it's smaller than Morrowind and/or Oblivion. It's about 10x the size of the initial Fable game.

Most of the reviews state that if you just jump into the main story, it's quite quick, but the immersive qualities are there if you choose to be a little more casual in your gaming.

My girlfriend has yet to open the box, she wants to finish Lost Odyssey, which I think is incredible willpower, so I cannot give you much about the in-game qualities (also I never played the first Fable).

I am looking forward to Fallout 3, though Farcry 2 has piqued my interest. Dead Space was a winner for me after finally beating it, the atmosphere was great, and wrapped things up just as it began to get tedious (there was much in the way of set changes, so it didn't look all the same). The final battle was enjoyable and frightening.

That all being said, I'm probably handing a few games in for trade, we aren't an Xbox Live couple and don't really have an interest in it, so even if a game has additional content, I'm not really into it right now.

I will say this I liked Morrowwind much more than Oblivion, I really felt that I was in the game, Oblivion felt a little more forced in what you could do, and I hated the leveling feature.

I'm looking forward to the apocalyptic world next week.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:28 AM   #26
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
My girlfriend has yet to open the box, she wants to finish Lost Odyssey, which I think is incredible willpower, so I cannot give you much about the in-game qualities (also I never played the first Fable).

I have to get back into Lost Odyssey. I'm only about 1 1/4 disks into the 4.. (which has been about 14 hours of gameplay)
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:44 AM   #27
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I have to get back into Lost Odyssey. I'm only about 1 1/4 disks into the 4.. (which has been about 14 hours of gameplay)

She's on the fourth disk I believe, but after seeing the gameplay, I wasn't sold, yes it's beautiful, but it's beautiful linear. The battles get repetitive when you have to backtrack and some of the navigation is vague, which wouldn't be a problem in an open game, but when you have one way to get to your goal, it doesn't look like so much fun.

That being said, she wants to complete it before turning to Fable 2, which is fine, because by next week I plan to control the Xbox with Fallout and my 46 inch LCD HDTV.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #28
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
She's on the fourth disk I believe, but after seeing the gameplay, I wasn't sold, yes it's beautiful, but it's beautiful linear. The battles get repetitive when you have to backtrack and some of the navigation is vague, which wouldn't be a problem in an open game, but when you have one way to get to your goal, it doesn't look like so much fun.

I'd agree. The gameplay is very mechanical.. I'm more into it because of the story though which I love.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:29 PM   #29
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post

It's still like the first one, but there are a lot more areas, and they do feel a lot bigger (but it's been awhile since I played the first one).

I played it all day yesterday, and I plan to play it all day today.

BTW, you can turn off the gold trail that shows you where to go. It's in Options->Game.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #30
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Not sure what everyone else thinks of this one by now but just picked it up over the weekend and it's been rather fun so far. The world has a nice feel to it so far. I could see this eating up a few large chunks of my time (as it already has).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:38 AM   #31
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My son picked this up along with a couple of other games he didn't play upon release (Forza 2 and something else I don't recall off hand).

I spent a few hours with it tonight and I come away feeling as though I'm playing Oblivion as told by Kingdom Hearts.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #32
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
My son picked this up along with a couple of other games he didn't play upon release (Forza 2 and something else I don't recall off hand).

I spent a few hours with it tonight and I come away feeling as though I'm playing Oblivion as told by Kingdom Hearts.

I actually enjoyed fable 2, but fable 3 was horrible and killed everything that made the first two fun.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #33
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Consider that a good feeling. Molyneux games usually inspire large blobs of disappointment wrapped in strips of gullibility.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote