Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-18-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Pat Summitt steps down at Tennessee

One of the saddest days in sports of my life.
Pat Summitt steps down » GoVolsXtra

Inevitable, and the right decision in my opinion ... but it doesn't make me any less sad for it to be official now.

My respect for her exceeds any sports figure I can think of. My admiration for her far predates marrying a UT alum. It would never have been easy for this day to come, made even tougher by the circumstances of it all.

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
rjolley
College Starter

She's definitely one of the coaches I respect the most. When I was recruited back in the day, when I thought of Tennessee sports, I thought of her first.

I hope she's able to enjoy her well-deserved time away from the game.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Sad to see but I'm glad she did it this way. The past season was more-or-less a send off, and she's gone out with class, dignity and outstanding performance. It would have been a Cinderella story if the Vols had managed to send her off with a title.

She wasn't herself this past season -- you could tell some games she was fighting the symptoms. She's so good and her system is so solid that she could have remained a figure head for a bit longer if she wanted. I'm glad she's going out this way, even though it's sad to see her go. I hope she responds well going forward.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Not a fan of women's basketball, but she's clearly a legend.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
Subby
lolzcat

Godspeed. She's a pioneer and there aren't many that can say that.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

1000 wins sounds impressive until you realize that you'd have to win 33 games for about 30 years. Then it's fucking amazing.

Last edited by stevew : 04-18-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
1000 wins sounds impressive until you realize that you'd have to win 33 games for about 30 years. Then it's fucking amazing.

Roughly 28.9 wins over 38 years is what she did.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Sounds like a dynasty idea...

Always respected her impact on women's basketball and making it what it is. Wish she'd coached the men's team to break down that barrier at some point...

The worst they've ever done is three sweet 16s since 1981-82. That's just insane.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-18-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Remember watching a documentary or something on the team years ago and was thoroughly impressed by her. Just a perfect mix of demanding the most out of her players while at the same time showing compassion. Definitely what college sports should be about.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

At the beginning of the season they announced this would be her last. As indicated in prior posts, she had a heck of a ride.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Never really followed women's basketball but a legend. Best women's coach of all time without peer, pretty much, right?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Never really followed women's basketball but a legend. Best women's coach of all time without peer, pretty much, right?

SI

A case could be made she's in the running for best coach. I'm not saying she earns it, but she's up there.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I can definitely see it. No one on the men's side in the last 30 years has a record that can touch hers.

I was just curious where she ranks in the pantheon of women's coaches.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

What's more remarkable about Pat is that she did as one of those first generation of players who got to play sports pre-Title IX. She steers the program into the NCAA era with aplomb and made Tennessee known as a women's basketball school where the men's team was secondary. That just wasn't happening anywhere else.

And while there's huge disparity in talent in their sport, dominance is dominance.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #15
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I can definitely see it. No one on the men's side in the last 30 years has a record that can touch hers.

I was just curious where she ranks in the pantheon of women's coaches.

SI

Not sure, they would have to be like a soccer/volleyball coach or something like that so could fly more under the radar. She's the first one I think of in terms of mainstream named coaches.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:09 PM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'd say she's all alone at the top, by virtue of both success & longevity.

There's certainly a group that she would consider to be her peers I think: Judy Conradt, Sylvia Hatchell, perhaps Tara VanDeveer. She might count Vivian Stringer as well (I don't put here in the group personally though).

Geno Auriemma is in another group I think, based on his number of titles rather than career wins (although he actually has more than a couple of those I named), I just feel like he's part of a different era than Pat and the others. Maybe that's just my own perception of it though.

Other names that would be in the mix would include the late Kay Yow, Leon Barmore and Judy Hogg ... just off the top of my head.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
What's more remarkable about Pat is that she did as one of those first generation of players who got to play sports pre-Title IX.

There's several remarkable things about her tenure, among the ones that always stood out to me was how young she was when she started: only 22 years old and was just a graduate assistant until the head coach quit & they offered her the job, making a whopping $250/month. Just a year older than four of the players on her inaugural squad, she drove the team van to away games, washed the uniforms, a true one woman show in a sport that drew little attention or interest.

Now say what you will about the state of the game today, but it's a hell of a long way from what it was.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #18
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Disappointing to me that PTI today didn't do a full segment on her.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #19
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm hoping a situation arises where Geno's win % falls dangerously close to hers. Maybe he retires like .001 ahead. Then they should wheel her out to collect a few wins, if she's still alive. Cause we all know, that's how records should be broken.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #20
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:

It's a different game. With the number of strong programs in the Men's game now, you're just not going to see the same level of dominance. The Women's environment is probably more like that of the Wooden era UCLA teams, or Men's lax where there are really only a handful of teams that can compete on the highest level. In the Men's game you can see Lehigh over Duke, or Butler make back-to-back runs. That just doesn't happen on the Women's side.

The sheer numbers of what she's done are staggering, and she built something which just didn't exist before. That's huge. It will probably be even more legendary if the Women's game ever does approach the depth of competition seen in the Men's game.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #21
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

I have met Auriemma on a number of occasions. He may be the biggest asshole I've ever met in my life. That being said, when it's all over his record could beat Summitt's.

In a much more competitive era he has a 70 game and a 90 game win streak. He's already over 800 wins and is only 58. If he so chooses he could win 1200+ games.

UConn is 13-9 against Tennessee and 4-0 in NC games. Tough to be the best when someone ia 4-0 against you with titles on the line.....

Last edited by lynchjm24 : 04-18-2012 at 09:05 PM.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #22
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Pretty funny and more than anyone who doesn't live in ct or tn should know about women's basketball.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:44 AM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just saw a little closing bit on Wojo's column at espn.com about today's news, made me smile on the subject for the first time

On the same day that Pat announced she was stepping aside, Marquette hired a 21 y/o assistant coach ... Tyler Summitt.

There's hardly an adult Vol fan alive who doesn't feel like they've known that young man since he was barely as big as a basketball. By every account I've ever heard or read, he's going to be a fine coach in his own right someday.
I really hope to see that happen, would be a wonderful legacy all its own.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #24
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anyone else watching the presser?
Old 04-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #25
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'd say she's all alone at the top, by virtue of both success & longevity.

There's certainly a group that she would consider to be her peers I think: Judy Conradt, Sylvia Hatchell, perhaps Tara VanDeveer. She might count Vivian Stringer as well (I don't put here in the group personally though).

Geno Auriemma is in another group I think, based on his number of titles rather than career wins (although he actually has more than a couple of those I named), I just feel like he's part of a different era than Pat and the others. Maybe that's just my own perception of it though.

Other names that would be in the mix would include the late Kay Yow, Leon Barmore and Judy Hogg ... just off the top of my head.

Geno Auriemma is a pig. He doesn't belong in the same paragraph, same sentence, or anywhere near Coach Summitt. She is clearly the best.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Geno Auriemma is a pig. He doesn't belong in the same paragraph, same sentence, or anywhere near Coach Summitt. She is clearly the best.

Hey, I loath the guy as much as anybody but the titles are there with his name on 'em.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:31 AM   #27
DougW
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Always respected her impact on women's basketball and making it what it is.

Which is ?

Certainly amazing what she accomplished, but, I don't think women's basketball turned mainstream or anything.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote