Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-16-2006, 10:59 PM   #601
JeeberD
General Manager

Dola-

Release Sui! That commercial more than makes up for any "posting while boxed" that he may have done!!!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:08 PM   #602
KWhit
Coordinator

I figured that's who it was since the directory structure for the file had his name in it.

Unless Sov just accidently put the file in with all of his Suicane pics.

No pix plz kthx.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 11:25 PM   #603
Thornbird
n00b

I hope this game turns out to be good'
there's not much out there other than Madden

Thornbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:16 AM   #604
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

oy

ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/Maximu...GetsBurned.avi

Edit: It's a game clip

Last edited by sovereignstar : 02-17-2006 at 01:23 AM.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:27 AM   #605
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

double oy
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:33 AM   #606
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

well
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:46 AM   #607
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Bwahahahaha
Old 02-17-2006, 01:48 AM   #608
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
This is the Waterworld of games.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:49 AM   #609
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

More like Ishtar
Old 02-17-2006, 01:50 AM   #610
stevew
Hall Of Famer

which codec do i need to download to get this to play.

all I am getting is the sound and no video.

let me see if my version of media player is updated.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:53 AM   #611
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
which codec do i need to download to get this to play.

all I am getting is the sound and no video.

let me see if my version of media player is updated.

xvid
Old 02-17-2006, 01:53 AM   #612
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
xvid

gratz.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:06 AM   #613
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wow, looks like John Elway football.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:10 AM   #614
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is this an ad by you guys?

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1063628

Last edited by stevew : 02-17-2006 at 02:24 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:17 AM   #615
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:

Yeah, we've got a narc.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:28 AM   #616
dervack
College Prospect

Holy shit was that bad. I'm pretty sure that physics are hard to program when you have a one-man team and all, but when a player gets hit from behind. It's hard to fall back wards like he was just speared by Bill Goldberg.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 03:10 AM   #617
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Now this is a nice uniform. I can't wait for these mods because they even have gray faces with accentuates of the ruggedness of the pixelated man.

Old 02-17-2006, 03:27 AM   #618
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

http://home.comcast.net/~suicane75/MaxFootballSplat.avi
http://home.comcast.net/~suicane75/MaximumBaby2.avi

Last edited by sovereignstar : 02-17-2006 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:29 AM   #619
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

PS - Suicane is buying the game.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:40 AM   #620
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

oh man, this looks amazing. i might be putting this on my "must buy" list.

I just keep rewinding and watching the kick-off over and over. I love how the kicker runs up to the ball, then stops, then kicks it.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 02-17-2006 at 05:44 AM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:28 AM   #621
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Douche over at MF boards
That was the usual FOF Football crap. It was an Anti-MF agitation song.

BTW Here is a "nice" video by a FOF Member that is very popular on that board and shows what people you have there. I think this a typical member.

FOF Central Promotion Video

(BTW I have saved it on my HD. Deleting is useless.)

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!

Don't you go and try to delete that sov, he's got it backed up!!!! OMG!

Old 02-17-2006, 09:39 AM   #622
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

I just got done watching the clip of MF gameplay... OMG you have to be kidding me, I can't even begin to rip the game because its would be just to easy... Let me install my old FPS95 and compare the graphics, WOW FPS beats it hands down and it's only 11 years old.. Oh well, it appears I already have a better game and I bought it along time ago... Back to the drawing board David W....

Last edited by A-Husker-4-Life : 02-17-2006 at 09:40 AM.
A-Husker-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:41 AM   #623
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister71
Now this is a nice uniform. I can't wait for these mods because they even have gray faces with accentuates of the ruggedness of the pixelated man.

Those would be great for a womans league..
Old 02-17-2006, 09:44 AM   #624
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Husker-4-Life
I just got done watching the clip of MF gameplay... OMG you have to be kidding me, I can't even begin to rip the game because its would be just to easy... Let me install my old FPS95 and compare the graphics, WOW FPS beats it hands down and it's only 11 years old.. Oh well, it appears I already have a better game and I bought it along time ago... Back to the drawing board David W....

I haven't been able to get that file to download. Of course, I probably couldn't watch it anyway because I don't think I have the Divx codec installed on this machine, so I guess it doesn't matter, but my interest is definitely piqued.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:45 AM   #625
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Where is Bubba now?
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:48 AM   #626
QuikSand
lolzcat

You know, amidst all the hubbub about the comincal release promises and timeline, there are a few serious questions in all this...

Even though the grand accomplishment of this game is nominally its spectacular graphics, I am still just a shade worried about its in-game AI. Recall, this is a game with a lot of flexibility -- Canadian football, arena football, Martian football, football with 54-point touchdowns -- it's all in there.

We have seen the challenges that a game like FOF faces, even in its 5th generation, even working with (basically) the same set of rules that it always has. Some might tally that up to Jim G being a buffoon -- I am inclined to think it's more a function of the gameplanning decisions actually being pretty compex and nuanced, making it hard to anticipate every single thing that might come up in a game situation. You do your best, but it will be tough to get it to work ideally.

Fast forward to M-F. Here's a game that not only seeks to run realistic games, but to do so and react ot an infinite number of rule schemes. How should a 10-point touchdown change your decision on third and long fgrom the 30? Shit -- what does third and long from the 30 even mean in a game where you get 7 downs to complete the 25 yards necessary for a first down? This stuff certainly has the possibility to be complex, and for a first generation game with its first love being graphics... I have to wonder how high should the bar be set, really?

My best guess is that what this will really be is a Canadian football sim (by its internal logic) that can be morphed into an American football sim without massive undermining of the game logic. But I have to suspect that if you *really* take full advantage of the whole notions of flexibility (in game rules, not just the banal stuff like the number of teams or games) then you will render the game pretty much incomprehensible on its insides.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think this is a fair assessment in advance. It's tough to get this decision-making right. Will be even tougher given what the game suggests it will try to do. Good luck to those who already have their plans laid out for a time-intensive, complex, multi-tiered league with customized rules and "career" play.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:50 AM   #627
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Husker-4-Life
Those would be great for a womans league...

I have to assume that's an option in this, the most customizable football game EVAH.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 09:51 AM   #628
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Where is Bubba now?

I was thinking yesterday that we really need this thread:

Bubba and jbmagic giving relationship advice to Golden Eagle and LoneStarGirl with a special appearance by Franklin and Capiscum. That would be sweet.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:53 AM   #629
JeeberD
General Manager

Awww, come on SD. No need to rip on poor Sui over there...

Old 02-17-2006, 09:56 AM   #630
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
Fast forward to M-F. Here's a game that not only seeks to run realistic games, but to do so and react ot an infinite number of rule schemes. How should a 10-point touchdown change your decision on third and long fgrom the 30? Shit -- what does third and long from the 30 even mean in a game where you get 7 downs to complete the 25 yards necessary for a first down? This stuff certainly has the possibility to be complex, and for a first generation game with its first love being graphics... I have to wonder how high should the bar be set, really?

I think it's safe to assume that there is no way the in-game AI will be able to handle the customizations to the level that would be a challenge for a human player.

I fear that the in-game AI won't even be a challenge with the default rule-set for the CFL or NFL.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:01 AM   #631
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
You should know how I can't stand inaccurate information.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 02-17-2006 at 10:02 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:03 AM   #632
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

You know, something just occured to me. We are all just having (innocent?) fun over here (though it is fun at David Winter's expense). And I think that we are well within our rights to say whatever we want. But this board does have the initials FOF on it. We all know that FOFC is not officially affiliated with Solecismic Software, but you can't really expect others to know that.

The last thing that I would want to do is hurt Solecismic's potential sales and reputation by having our somewhat meanspirited (though really funny) rantings associated with Solecismic.

(Not that this has anything to do directly with your comment, but I can see where SkyDog may be motivated to do some damage control over there).
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:05 AM   #633
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
I have to assume that's an option in this, the most customizable football game EVAH.

The thought of a computer saying "EVAH" just makes me giggle.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:06 AM   #634
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
You know, something just occured to me. We are all just having (innocent?) fun over here (though it is fun at David Winter's expense). And I think that we are well within our rights to say whatever we want. But this board does have the initials FOF on it. We all know that FOFC is not officially affiliated with Solecismic Software, but you can't really expect others to know that.

The last thing that I would want to do is hurt Solecismic's potential sales and reputation by having our somewhat meanspirited (though really funny) rantings associated with Solecismic.

(Not that this has anything to do directly with your comment, but I can see where SkyDog may be motivated to do some damage control over there).

I agree. I think it's important that people understand FOFC isn't officially connected to Solecismic, especially when we rip apart something like we've done with Maximus Football.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:10 AM   #635
JeeberD
General Manager

Meh, it's not like Jim hasn't partcipated in this thread...

Old 02-17-2006, 10:13 AM   #636
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Meh, it's not like Jim hasn't partcipated in this thread...

Yes, but Jim's comments are his responsibility...everything else shouldn't be held against Solecismic. Just because Marc Vaughan posts here shouldn't mean that people think SI Games are ripping on Maximus Football as well.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:14 AM   #637
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Is it possible to buy the game yet? I really, really want to get my hands on this. It has the makings of a great dynasty.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 10:19 AM   #638
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

To continue with QuikSand's quasi-serious comments--I am worried by the idea that the developer's reaction to anticdotal evidence of skewed stats is the reaction that we can adjust settings and attributes to get the stats to our liking.

First, I want the game to work well--with NFL (or CFL or Arena or whatever the default league is) realistic stats right out of the box. That should be the default because maybe I don't want to have to play with sliders for 2 hours before I can play a game--and because it will give me faith that the sim engine is very solid.

Also--I want to build my team based on the team that can do the best, not the team that is the most realistic. If it turns out that, say, if you have a WR with Speed over 90 he will always get open on deep routes and can average 250 yards and 4 touchdowns a game--then I don't want the answer to that to be "don't get WRs with speed over 90." I want to try to kick as much ass as possible--and not worry about too many house rules because there are holes in the AI that I am supposed to fix by playing the game a certain way.

Finally, and this is related to my second point, it helps to immerse me in a game if I can feel like what my players have accomplished is set in a realistic universe. The owner of the IHOF North Plainfield Plague can feel smug about the otherworldly play of his QB--David Conti. He does not need to worry about whether Conti is too good for the game. Or whether we need to tweak a slider or two to keep the results more realistic. He can just play and try to kick our asses and feel good when he does.

All of this is, of course, meant in the nature of constructive criticism. Obviously, the game designer has decided to go with customizability over the "do one thing, do it well" model. And that is his decision. I just don't think that it is my cup of tea at all.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 02-17-2006 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:20 AM   #639
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Yes, but Jim's comments are his responsibility...everything else shouldn't be held against Solecismic. Just because Marc Vaughan posts here shouldn't mean that people think SI Games are ripping on Maximus Football as well.

I know what you're getting at, but it doesn't make sense in this instance. Marc Vaughan hasn't posted in this thread at all, so there's no reason for anyone to think that he's ripping on MF. Jim has indeed done some joking about MF, though. So I don't think he, or anyone else, could get upset at the community in general if his sales suffer because of this thread.

But yes, perhaps a fairly noticible disclaimer is in order. There's probably PLENTY on this board that Jim would prefer wasn't assumed to be affiliated with Solecismic Software...

Old 02-17-2006, 11:49 AM   #640
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I want to buy stock in M-F's ISP and Hosting company just for the spike they'll see in the bandwidth costs to manage the tech support/bugs forum.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #641
aran
High School Varsity

After watching the gameplay video, i've completely lost all interest in this game. It's going to be even more frustrating than madden to play and probably mind-numbingly easy to boot.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 12:37 PM   #642
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

You know what?

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more MAXIMUM FOOTBALL!
Old 02-17-2006, 12:46 PM   #643
KWhit
Coordinator

Serious question:

What is the possible draw of this game over Madden? What are the features that might make this game more appealing to a gamer than Madden?

The ability to create your own plays?
The ability to customize the league structure (I'm not sure if Madden has this or not)?
The ability to make a TD count 10 points?

I'm intentionally leaving out anything to do with the sim engine, because even though Madden has its faults, I can't imagine this will be an improvement. Of course, others may think it will be an improvement and that's the draw, but if so, they're delusional.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:48 PM   #644
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
Serious question:

What is the possible draw of this game over Madden? What are the features that might make this game more appealing to a gamer than Madden?

The ability to create your own plays?
The ability to customize the league structure (I'm not sure if Madden has this or not)?
The ability to make a TD count 10 points?

I'm intentionally leaving out anything to do with the sim engine, because even though Madden has its faults, I can't imagine this will be an improvement. Of course, others may think it will be an improvement and that's the draw, but if so, they're delusional.
Serious answer:

I really think homeboy thinks that the ability to play with Canadian rules is going to be a significant draw.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:48 PM   #645
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This looks slightly better than 4th and inches. A game i played on my Apple 2GS back in the late 80s.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:50 PM   #646
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
This looks slightly better than 4th and inches. A game i played on my Apple 2GS back in the late 80s.

The fullback in 4th & Inches was named "Rusty Naylz," making it the greatest football game ever.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:56 PM   #647
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The fullback in 4th & Inches was named "Rusty Naylz," making it the greatest football game ever.

I liked Mike Quick at wingback, and Joe Dakota at QB.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:23 PM   #648
Dutch
"Dutch"

Alright, I just watched the real movie trailer of MF. Is that better or worse than FBPro?

MF looks horrible. Sorry, just my biased opinion.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:51 PM   #649
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I have repeatedly read very mean spirited, with no attempt at humor, comments by Mr. Winter directed at individuals and the entire text sim community. I was actually going to buy this, just to support another developer, until I read some of the garbage he has spewed. What goes around comes around.
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 01:58 PM   #650
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I think the game is going to speak volumes for itself, no matter what anyone writes.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote