Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #551
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Surprised there's no chatter in this thread about the great slate of games on ESPN today. Nova-UConn is going down to the wire. Mizzou-KSU next with Syr-Pitt and KU-Baylor later tonight.

I'm very happy to be home taking care of the kids tonight.

This is outstanding prep for tourney time!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #552
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm a bit worried about this game- seems like we might go light against a dangerous, long team on the road

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #553
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Good game for Mizzou.

I'll tell you what. Phil Pressey is quickly emerging as a superstar on this team. This kid may be the best PG we've had since Melvin Booker. He's unbelievable and is only going to get better.

Amazing that we only have one senior on the entire team.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #554
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'll tell you what. Phil Pressey is quickly emerging as a superstar on this team. This kid may be the best PG we've had since Melvin Booker. He's unbelievable and is only going to get better.

Amazing that we only have one senior on the entire team.

Yes sir, this kid is improving at a rapid pace!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #555
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Wow. It's so fun to watch a game where you just can't miss. I mean, geez- 74% shooting in the first half!

SI

Old 01-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #556
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm a bit worried about this game- seems like we might go light against a dangerous, long team on the road

SI

Guess I was wrong. Glad to be wrong

SI

Old 01-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #557
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Glad to see KU play at least close to their potential last night. Yes, they had to weather a little bit of a storm early in the second half from a talented Baylor team, but they appeared to do so with relative ease.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #558
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Kansas is scary... very good...
Old 01-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #559
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

The interesting part is that the B12 South appears to be the division with the 'gimmie' wins this year. In the past, it's always been Colorado and Nebraska. MU and KU could always count on winning at least three games each year against those two opponents. It appears that Texas Tech and OU are those two teams this year. The North teams are going to have to earn a title this year. No gimmies in the North this year.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #560
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

To be fair, that was the best half of basketball you will see us play all year. I mean, again, we hit 74% in the first half and everyone, especially the Morris twins, were just feeling it. That's not to say KU isn't good. It's just that last night's first half is the absolute ceiling.

Baylor is a good team but no one stops KU when they're that accurate. But that's true of most of the teams in the top 10. If Ohio State or Duke or Syracuse or Pitt or whoever is making shots like that, no one can beat them.

SI

Old 01-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #561
DataKing
Pro Rookie

In all honesty, part of the blame for the first half needs to fall on Baylor's; defense. That zone was extremely passive to start the game...and you saw how disruptive it could be early in the second half when the Baylor players actually started moving their feet. With their length and athleticism, that zone should be able to give a lot of teams fits, a-la the Boeheim zone.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #562
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
i have yet to watch a game this year where fab melo doesn't get subbed in the first 3 minutes. freshman of the year indeed.

He lasted less than 2 minutes in this one, and then never got back in. Baye Moussa Keita replaced him, but Boheim got sick of him after 5 minutes and pulled him too, never to return. He just went with a small lineup the rest of the way. Boehim's testing these kids' characters.

On the upside as far as freshman though, C.J. Fair came in about 4 minutes into the game, and then never left, and was the leading scorer. (and 'Cuse actually outscored Pitt in those last 36 minutes, when Fair was in there).

Haven't heard anything about Kris Joseph's head injury. If this was football I'd assume he'd be done for the year, but I don't know if the modern concussion precautions have emerged in basketball.

I don't see 'Cuse as an elite team at all, but the surprising streak to start the season should propel them to at least a decent tournament seed.

Last edited by molson : 01-18-2011 at 11:22 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #563
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Ping Mizzou fans. Nice article on Marcus Denmon and family......

Putting others first is second nature for Missouri Tigers junior Marcus Denmon and his family - ESPN
Old 01-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #564
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I have a feeling that tonight's Texas-Texas A&M match up is going to be a low scoring, defensive battle. Should be a great game.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:04 PM   #565
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Awesome win for the 'Horns. They looked very impressive in an 81-60 win over Texas A&M, which came in to the game on a 13 game win streak. Next up, a trip on Saturday to Phog Allen to play Kansas.

Last edited by cartman : 01-19-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #566
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
It's sort of weird. I'm a little scared that this GT team is going to improve a decent amount over the season just from playing together more. There are some good pieces--Rice and Oliver in particular. I had written off this season as the one that had to happen to get someone to pony up the money to buy out Hewitt. But, in a weak ACC, they may be too good by the end of the season. Maybe CPH can mess it up.

Granted Wake is really bad, but a 74-39 win to follow a 20 point victory over UNC makes me re-wonder.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:28 PM   #567
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Awesome win for the 'Horns. They looked very impressive in an 81-60 win over Texas A&M, which came in to the game on a 13 game win streak. Next up, a trip on Saturday to Phog Allen to play Kansas.

Texas is a head-scratcher of a team. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they lose their next four. Three road games (KU, A&M, OSU) and a home game against Mizzou who they haven't beaten in over four years.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:13 AM   #568
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Man, FSU set a new low of ugly basketball last night, and somehow came out of it with a win over Miami and a 4-1 ACC record. They are probably the most impressive defensive team I've seen. But man...they are just ugly as hell. They didn't score a basketball for the first 10 minutes of the game, shot 19% in the first half, missed 10 of 12 free throws in the second half, and yet the D kept them in the game, they went on a 12-0 run with about 5-6 minutes left to take the lead, and hung on 55-53. I almost put a bag over the TV it was so ugly.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #569
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Saw that Iowa State never made it back to Ames last night after their game in Stillwater. They were rerouted to Columbia, MO and will just stay there until after their game against MU on Saturday.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #570
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Saw that Iowa State never made it back to Ames last night after their game in Stillwater. They were rerouted to Columbia, MO and will just stay there until after their game against MU on Saturday.

My sister-in-law is a hotel manager in Columbia and knows a lot of the people in the "business". Let me see if I can get her to make some late night wake up calls the next two nights.

It looks like basically everyone except for TTech and OU (and maybe K-State?) are going to be halfway decent this season. Iowa State should have won last night in Stillwater. Don't know what to expect from the Tigers in conference play anymore I could reasonaly see anywhere from 8-8 to 12-4.

PS: What game were you sporting me tickets for? (Luckily for you we never made that bet!)

Last edited by panerd : 01-20-2011 at 09:18 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:14 PM   #571
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Nebraska nearly beat Kansas in Allen Fieldhouse today. I'm starting to wonder if there's a gimmie in this league after the early play of Colorado and Nebraska thus far. OU and TT are probably the weakest teams from what we've seen thus far. CU and NU have made big steps.

Yes, this sounds about right. The conference does seem stronger top to bottom than in years past. Yes, OU and TT have suffered bad conference losses to a certain team at this point, but strange the poster doesn't mention that team.

Quote:
The interesting part is that the B12 South appears to be the division with the 'gimmie' wins this year. In the past, it's always been Colorado and Nebraska. MU and KU could always count on winning at least three games each year against those two opponents. It appears that Texas Tech and OU are those two teams this year. The North teams are going to have to earn a title this year. No gimmies in the North this year.

Yes, Kansas has been the 2 ton gorilla of the conference during this time, winning at least a share of 6 straight conference regular season Big 12 championships, a share of at least 10 overall since the conference founding. However, the other team mentioned, Mizzou, has never won even a share of the regular season title. There is however another team that is 2nd to Kansas in this category that is glossed over.

Quote:
Texas is a head-scratcher of a team. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they lose their next four. Three road games (KU, A&M, OSU) and a home game against Mizzou who they haven't beaten in over four years.

Ah, there you have it. Any Texas success is a 'head scratcher'. I'll concede that the loss to USC was definitely a head scratcher, compared to the overall body of work displayed so far this season.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:36 AM   #572
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Good win for Washington tonight beating Arizona 85-68 at home to solidify their hold on first place in the Pac-10. Losing Gaddy for the year was a bummer, but it may turn out to be a blessing in disguise given the way Isaiah Thomas has embraced the PG role. IT is starting to gain some believers among NBA scouts...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:10 AM   #573
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, this sounds about right. The conference does seem stronger top to bottom than in years past. Yes, OU and TT have suffered bad conference losses to a certain team at this point, but strange the poster doesn't mention that team.

Yes, Kansas has been the 2 ton gorilla of the conference during this time, winning at least a share of 6 straight conference regular season Big 12 championships, a share of at least 10 overall since the conference founding. However, the other team mentioned, Mizzou, has never won even a share of the regular season title. There is however another team that is 2nd to Kansas in this category that is glossed over.

Ah, there you have it. Any Texas success is a 'head scratcher'. I'll concede that the loss to USC was definitely a head scratcher, compared to the overall body of work displayed so far this season.

Is it Kansas State? It's Kansas State, right?

SI

Old 01-21-2011, 06:15 AM   #574
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Nothing head scratching about Texas. They are one of the top teams in the nation right now.

They should handle Okie St on the road and Mizzou at home relatively easy. I really doubt they will lose 4 in a row(3 of the teams ranked below them in the latest KenPom ratings)

Your Mizzou team, which has been historically a much worse road team than home team has all of one true road win this year which was a 3 point victory at lowly Oregon. I have a hard time believing they will go into Texas and win.

I am thinking you are either over excited about Missouri or underrating a very difficult team.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-21-2011 at 06:26 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #575
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Nothing head scratching about Texas. They are one of the top teams in the nation right now.

They should handle Okie St on the road and Mizzou at home relatively easy. I really doubt they will lose 4 in a row(3 of the teams ranked below them in the latest KenPom ratings)

Your Mizzou team, which has been historically a much worse road team than home team has all of one true road win this year which was a 3 point victory at lowly Oregon. I have a hard time believing they will go into Texas and win.

I am thinking you are either over excited about Missouri or underrating a very difficult team.

I think you are underestimating the home court advantage in the Big 12 conference. Road wins are scarce in this conference and this year is no different.

MU won the last time they went into Texas. I agree it's a tall task either way. But the other three games are definitely in question.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #576
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Thought I'd toss this video up since Mizzou is playing ISU this weekend. Great video for those who aren't a Vitale fan.......

Old 01-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #577
MJ4H
Coordinator

Rumor is that BJ Young made the required test score on his ACT and is now "good to go." Obviously he will need to finish well in his classes, but pretty good for someone with almost zero chance to qualify.

Hopefully this is true.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #578
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Rumor is that BJ Young made the required test score on his ACT and is now "good to go." Obviously he will need to finish well in his classes, but pretty good for someone with almost zero chance to qualify.

Hopefully this is true.

Pretty sure the grades/core classes were the reason most schools backed off. Problem as of last year was that he had to do VERY well in his remaining few core classes to make up for his grades on already completed core classes.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #579
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yep, and he is on track in those as well. Thus the "good to go." His problem was a late start, not a lack of ability. He didn't take it seriously until he realized he needed to to get into college.

Last edited by MJ4H : 01-22-2011 at 08:19 AM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:30 AM   #580
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think you are underestimating the home court advantage in the Big 12 conference. Road wins are scarce in this conference and this year is no different.

MU won the last time they went into Texas. I agree it's a tall task either way. But the other three games are definitely in question.

Its tough to win on the road in most conferences. I wouldnt just single out the Big 12 on that one. My point was Texas is playing like one of the top 10 teams in the nation right now so seeing them drop 4 in a row is very unlikely IMO.

No disrespect indended here but that Mizzou team 2 years ago with Carroll and Lyons that won in Texas was a great team while this years team is a step back IMO.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-22-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:56 PM   #581
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Am I the only one sick of Syracuse going undefeated in non-conference play simply because they play every single game at home every single year?
Old 01-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #582
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Am I the only one sick of Syracuse going undefeated in non-conference play simply because they play every single game at home every single year?

Nope. Its hard to get a read on that program until about mid February every single year.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #583
Butter
Coordinator

Ohio State with a nice road win at Illinois today, fighting back from 50-42 down midway through the 2nd half to hand the Illini their first home loss of the season.

The talking heads keep talking up Demetri McCamey, but I rarely see the brilliance when I tune in to the Illini games. Maybe he eats up the weak competition and just doesn't have what it takes against the top tier teams, but I didn't see much from him today.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #584
Logan
Head Coach

I know it isn't important in the national scene, but a really nice road win for Rutgers over Seton Hall. We were horrible from the FT line, it could have been a blowout. Mike Rice has these guys playing great defense.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:03 PM   #585
cartman
Death Herald

Geez, Texas can't hit the broad side of the barn right now. They are lucky to only be down 12 at the half. This is by far their worst half of shooting this season. And credit Kansas for forcing Texas into a flurry of turnovers at the end of the half when the Longhorns looked like they might cut the lead to single digits.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #586
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Bad T call in the Texas/KU game. Texas had gotten a little mo and quick whistled refs changed in back in favor of KU in a big hurry.

I guess it didnt really matter. Texas took complete control in the 2nd half.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-22-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #587
cartman
Death Herald

Texas snaps KU's 69 game home win streak with an incredibly impressive 2nd half, coming from 12 down at the half to win by 11, 74-63. Not many teams have ever done that on KU's home court.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #588
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Pretty impressive stuff from Texas. I was waiting for the young players on Texas to fold. Instead, the young players on KU were the ones making the crucial mistakes.

I didn't think UT would win that one, but it certainly was enjoyable to see the long faces in the KU student section. Looked like they all just had their puppy taken away.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #589
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Didn't get to see the game today but we needed that. It's a loss at home and the fun streak is gone. But it's to a darn good team and this should help Self get the attention of the guys again. We weren't going to go undefeated and this is one of those games where he can point to a lot of things they were able to get away with and win in the last couple of weeks but not against a good team like Texas.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-22-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:29 PM   #590
cartman
Death Herald

I wouldn't want to trade places with Kansas' Thomas Robinson. He found out last night that his mother died suddenly of a heart attack. He decided to fight through that and be with his teammates on the court today. This comes on the heels of losing both a grandmother and grandfather in the past couple of months. I lost both of my paternal grandparents in the span of a couple of weeks, and I can't imagine how I would have reacted if I'd lost my mom as well. Condolences to him and his family.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:37 PM   #591
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Jimmer scores 42 as BYU wins at CSU tonight..Sold out place and hostile towards Jimmer.

Jimmer is the only DIV I player with 2 40 point games this season..

I'm telling you, BYU is a solid team this year and no one is able to watch them because of the bullshit MWC TV Deal..
Old 01-22-2011, 11:41 PM   #592
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Jimmer scores 42 as BYU wins at CSU tonight..Sold out place and hostile towards Jimmer.

Jimmer is the only DIV I player with 2 40 point games this season..

I'm telling you, BYU is a solid team this year and no one is able to watch them because of the bullshit MWC TV Deal..

That BYU-SDSU game on Wednesday is gonna be must see TV.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:29 AM   #593
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

MSU continues their pattern of underperforming. They have yet to beat a ranked team on the road, and IIRC they have one win against a ranked team. If this continues, it will be one of the bigger head scratchers how this team underperformed to this level. Even with Izzo's tournament record, there's going to be some serious changing of gears for this team to do something as a dark horse #5-6 in the tourney.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:30 AM   #594
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Texas snaps KU's 69 game home win streak with an incredibly impressive 2nd half, coming from 12 down at the half to win by 11, 74-63. Not many teams have ever done that on KU's home court.

Congrats Cartman, great game by Texas!
Old 01-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #595
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
despite popular belief new jersey and rhode island aren't in syracuse. neither is msg although pundits seem to think a ten hour round trip is just outside city limits.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #596
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
That BYU-SDSU game on Wednesday is gonna be must see TV.

Yeah and it will either be on VS or CBSC...
Old 01-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #597
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
despite popular belief new jersey and rhode island aren't in syracuse. neither is msg although pundits seem to think a ten hour round trip is just outside city limits.

LOL..Oh, I'm sorry...I guess Syracuse is just racking up the frequent bus rider miles.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #598
Izulde
Head Coach

UNLV had a shit loss against Colorado State earlier this week and barely nipped New Mexico by a point yesterday.

The lack of a truly legitimate post presence really hurts.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:38 AM   #599
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
LOL..Oh, I'm sorry...I guess Syracuse is just racking up the frequent bus rider miles.
pitt's sched is worse. they've had a couple games at msg(which is the same 5 hour drive as syr) but otherwise haven't left penn. i'm sure there are other teams but that's off the top of my head.

if sdsu plays in san fran is that a home game? cause somehow that logic applies in ny.

cuse has a top 5 rpi with 2 acc games and 2 big ten games 3 of which were played on neutral courts.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #600
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Ruling from the NCAA concerning Tony Mitchell's academic eligibility is supposed to come today or tomorrow. Possible results are that:

-enrolls and joins Mizzou roster immediately
-eligible in fall 2011
-permanently ineligible

We'll see what happens.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 01-23-2011 at 10:18 AM.