Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #801
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
What's going on out in Washington? The Huskies dropping three straight to Oregon, Oregon State, and Washington State.
They've looked a step slow and the less motivated team in each of those games. Isaiah had a great run there at PG after Gaddy went down, but in the last 3 games he's been a turnover machine and his ability to draw fouls when driving the lane has decreased. The defense has taken a step back too, with guys a step slow on rotating and getting beat too often with backdoor cuts.

Aside from IT, the team is really lacking in guys that can create off the dribble. They have a pretty good inside scorer in Bryan-Amaning and a lot of great spot-up shooters in Suggs, Wilcox and Ross (and to a lesser extent Gant and Holiday), but Overton is the only other guy that is able to penetrate the lane and he's too often out of control. Holiday has developed somewhat of a midrange game and his shot is much improved, but he makes too many bad passes as a Senior, and his defense, long his strength, has taken a step back recently.

The team has a lot of talent and should make the tournament (if they don't, it would be a huge under-achievement), but they are missing the steady hand of Gaddy more than I thought they would.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #802
Radii
Head Coach

I heard this mentioned during the game today by the announcers, and the AP writeup on the game mentioned it as well (http://www.accsports.com/wires/20110...u-89-69-.php):

Quote:
Drew walked out, issuing a statement without even a word to his teammates while relying on his father - Atlanta Hawks coach Larry Drew - to tell coach Roy Williams in a phone call.

Man up, fuckwad, god damn. Teammates find out about Drew transferring on twitter, and his coach finds out because his dad calls and tells him. What a complete piece of shit.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #803
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Found this comment from Phil Pressey pretty amusing........

Quote:
"I'm gonna take it just like any other game," said Phil Pressey, one of four Tigers who will play in Lawrence for the first time. "It's really not that big a deal to me."

This young man's about to get a rude initiation at Allen Fieldhouse.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #804
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'm ready for Big Monday tonight

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-07-2011 at 10:48 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #805
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Badgers #1 on kenpom offense ratings putting them at #5 on the list overall after the complete dismantling of msu yesterday. Big week for the badgers now though. @ Iowa and then they host Ohio St on Saturday.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:26 PM   #806
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Hmmm...I want to talk some smack, but I am not feeling terribly creative today...
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #807
MJ4H
Coordinator

The media is finally starting to open up on Mr. John Pelphrey. We may be nearing the end here.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #808
Swaggs
Coordinator

Pitt @ WVU tonight.

One of Pitt's best players is out with an MCL injury, so hopefully we can steal one here and fortify our tournament resume. I'm pretty sure our current stretch of games is about as tough as we had on the run to the Final Four last year (@ #12 Nova, #4 Pitt, DePaul -- outlier, @ #13 Cuse, vs #7 Notre Dame, and then @ #4 Pitt again).

In any case, we need to win probably a couple of those games against ranked teams and then hopefully win the two remaining games that we'll be favored in (DePaul and @ Rutgers). Then we close, at home, with #9 UConn and #15 Louisville.

If we make the tourney, with the short bench we've had most of the season, Huggins will probably have done a better job than he did last season with the FF team.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #809
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Fun, fun game in Lawrence so far

SI

Old 02-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #810
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Good start for MIZZOU!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #811
miami_fan
Coordinator

Listening to Bob Knight is making the Tiger-Jayhawk game a struggle. I love the info but man is his voice just irritating.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #812
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Missouri seems to be fine on offense but what is with their defense tonight? Kansas can score at will.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #813
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Well.. the game has turned into a sleeper for Mizzou fans. Goodness... that is just one team I cannot stand.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #814
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Sorry, but goodnight on this one for Mizzou. We'll meet again in Columbia in a couple of weeks and that's going to be a crazy game. No one's winning that one by double digits.

SI

Old 02-07-2011, 09:54 PM   #815
Swaggs
Coordinator

Tough loss for the Mountaineers. Pitt really outhustled and out-physicaled us on the boards in the second half. We have had a lot of close losses of late, but they are starting to add up.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #816
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Tough loss for the Mountaineers. Pitt really outhustled and out-physicaled us on the boards in the second half. We have had a lot of close losses of late, but they are starting to add up.

Can't wait for next season to get here. I really don't enjoy watching this team play. I'm not a fan of Casey Mitchell's attitude or watching Truck throw up stupid shots and it'd be nice to have a guy that can knock down shots somewhat consistently. Going to really miss Flowers and Mazzulla though.

This team should squeeze into the tourney but I don't see it doing much once it's there.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #817
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Boy, if you tell me that Mizzou shoots 55% from the field and only has 8 turnovers, I'm pretty sure we're going to win that game. Impressive shooting by KU. Sometimes it just doesn't pan out. Time to get back in the saddle with 4 of the last 7 at home and 3 winnable road games left to go.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:41 PM   #818
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Can't wait for next season to get here. I really don't enjoy watching this team play. I'm not a fan of Casey Mitchell's attitude or watching Truck throw up stupid shots and it'd be nice to have a guy that can knock down shots somewhat consistently. Going to really miss Flowers and Mazzulla though.

This team should squeeze into the tourney but I don't see it doing much once it's there.

I kind of agree with you and I'm excited to see what the new guys are going to look like, but I think we could really struggle next year. I haven't heard any rumors of Pepper leaving lately, but if he does (and I don't know why he would, as he should have a ton of playing time from here on out) we are likely looking at Truck, the Turk, and KJ as the returning players ready to go at the beginning of the season.

I love Coach Huggins, but it is hard to imagine us cashing in any less off of a Final Four appearance than he did this and last year. I'm still holding out hope that he is going to dump Eric Martin and hire a coach than can bring a player or two (in the late signing period) with him next season.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:20 AM   #819
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1 View Post
Badgers #1 on kenpom offense ratings putting them at #5 on the list overall after the complete dismantling of msu yesterday. Big week for the badgers now though. @ Iowa and then they host Ohio St on Saturday.

Chance for Wisconsin to take down two #1 Ohio State teams in Madison this year. They already got football done, now it'll be Saturday for basketball.

Stakes a bit lower for this one, though, but it still should be a fun atmosphere.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:28 AM   #820
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Well.. the game has turned into a sleeper for Mizzou fans. Goodness... that is just one team I cannot stand.

Roomie wasn't home last night...but I didn't hear much out of him after the first half via text.

What makes this "rivalry" worse is the connection I have to KU with Brandon Bourbon...so I'm to "play" the role of hated KU fan even though I really don't have any allegiance to them outside of Bourbon.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #821
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
and we ain't Chattanooga
A straw poll might reveal people have heard of Chattanooga.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #822
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Roomie wasn't home last night...but I didn't hear much out of him after the first half via text.

What makes this "rivalry" worse is the connection I have to KU with Brandon Bourbon...so I'm to "play" the role of hated KU fan even though I really don't have any allegiance to them outside of Bourbon.

What's your connection with Brandon? Same home town? I'm looking forward to seeing Brandon play next fall. He and James Sims could be a nice one two punch if Kansas can shore up their offensive line woes.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #823
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Boy, if you tell me that Mizzou shoots 55% from the field and only has 8 turnovers, I'm pretty sure we're going to win that game. Impressive shooting by KU. Sometimes it just doesn't pan out. Time to get back in the saddle with 4 of the last 7 at home and 3 winnable road games left to go.

Our defense is horrible on the road.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #824
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post

LOL..
Old 02-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #825
MJ4H
Coordinator

Amazing. The local television station has decided not to carry the Arkansas basketball game tonight at Mississippi State, calling it a "programming decision."

I think there is some major power play like stuff going on behind the scenes for this kind of thing to happen.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:20 PM   #826
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Amazing. The local television station has decided not to carry the Arkansas basketball game tonight at Mississippi State, calling it a "programming decision."

I think there is some major power play like stuff going on behind the scenes for this kind of thing to happen.

When will the Mike Anderson watch begin?

Old 02-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #827
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

what are they showing instead?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #828
MJ4H
Coordinator

Whatever's normally on ABC at the time.

edit: now they have changed their mind and are airing it. I'm sure they got quite a shitstorm over their previous position.

Last edited by MJ4H : 02-09-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #829
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Whatever's normally on ABC at the time.

Not sure what the issue with that is, I can't ever recall a major network showing a regular season sporting event over its usual programing.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #830
MJ4H
Coordinator

In all my years of following Arkansas sports, this station has never not aired a game they had the option to televise. Believe me, it is highly unusual. And now they've come to their senses and are airing it.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:35 PM   #831
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
In all my years of following Arkansas sports, this station has never not aired a game they had the option to televise. Believe me, it is highly unusual. And now they've come to their senses and are airing it.

Interesting. I guess that is the difference between living in a city like New York or Seattle and living in SEC country.
Old 02-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #832
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
When will the Mike Anderson watch begin?

It's worse than that. Some of these guys are after your whole team:

Hogville needs to adopt Missouri for the rest of the season
Old 02-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #833
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Not sure what the issue with that is, I can't ever recall a major network showing a regular season sporting event over its usual programing.

Yeah that's crazy talk. We get ACC basketball delivered by Raycom Sports (now The ACC Network") during prime time slots during normal weekly programming... well, at least one night a week every week from December to March going back as far as I can remember. During last Tuesday's UNC/Boston College game, NCIS aired at 2:30am and NCIS:LA aired at 3:30am, both pre-empted by college basketball. If a local affiliate decided not to air a Duke or UNC or NC State or Wake Forest game that was scheduled to air I'm pretty sure whoever made that decision would not work there by 9am the next day.

EDIT: I should point out that I got many ACC basketball games in Atlanta this way as well when I lived down there. Though I *think* the affiliation was with the CW and not with CBS, but it would still pre-empt Gilmore Girls or whatever

Last edited by Radii : 02-09-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #834
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
EDIT: I should point out that I got many ACC basketball games in Atlanta this way as well when I lived down there. Though I *think* the affiliation was with the CW and not with CBS, but it would still pre-empt Gilmore Girls or whatever

Since virtually no one ever watched the CW affiliate here, pre-emptions were kind of a moot point

Your last bit hits squarely on what I was going to say though, the thing that's unusual in many markets is the Raycom affiliate being a major network affiliate. It's more common for them to be on 2nd tier stations although it's not that hard to find exceptions.

In this case of Arkansas, it's one of the more unusual places for television in a number of ways & this is one of them (for example, Ft.Smith/Fayetteville being almost unique because of the way the stations have such geographically defined audiences even in the cable era). Having bought spots in the syndicated packages there, I know that they're pretty lucrative for the stations & that one would even consider pre-empting for anything short of the last episode of Friends or something similar is very shocking to me. MJ4H's thought about there being something going on behind the scenes strikes me as very realistic.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #835
tarcone
Coordinator

Thought I would pop in and tell you guys that 10 win Iowa is beating #10 Wisconsin at half.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #836
Radii
Head Coach

Well that was quite a half.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #837
General Mike
Pro Starter

Pandemonium in Piscataway, part 3
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #838
Logan
Head Coach

No shit, that was unbelievable. Rutgers knocks off #10 Villanova on a Jonathan Mitchell 4 point play with 0.8 seconds left, 77-76. Down 10 with under 3 minutes left.

Last edited by Logan : 02-09-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #839
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
No shit, that was unbelievable. Rutgers knocks off #10 Villanova on a Jonathan Mitchell 4 point play with 0.8 seconds left, 77-76. Down 10 with under 3 minutes left.

I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight. It's just one game, and I know we are quite a bit aways from being a tournament team, but it's a great feeling.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #840
Logan
Head Coach

There's just nowhere near enough talent until next year (and that will take some time to grow into) but these guys are playing good schools very tough, and finally cracking through and getting a win against a top program is an important part of the process.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #841
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Thought I would pop in and tell you guys that 10 win Iowa is beating #10 Wisconsin at half.

An UGLY win for the Badgers... I will take it though after that AWFUL first half shooting display.

Iowa's BBall program should be turning it around most definitely. Some good players there, Tarcone.

Last edited by mauchow : 02-09-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #842
Radii
Head Coach

Grats to Duke. You knew they'd make a run in the second half but it just came way way too early. After the hot early start Duke did a great job of forcing Kendall Marshall to shoot inside and not letting him find open guys for baskets instead. Marshall shot 2-11 and doesn't quite have that in his game yet it appears. Bullock missed 3 wiiiide open 3's in a key stretch in the second half when Duke was making a big run that stood out too. And of course the inability to stop Smith and Curry.

A couple weeks ago I would have assumed Duke would win by 20+ at their place. I'm not happy by any stretch but its definitely a silver lining that they're able to compete. Hopefully the Tar Heels will get back to rolling through the rest of the ACC leading up to the rematch. At Clemson Saturday is going to be tough though.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #843
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Not surprisingly, Duke made excellent adjustments at half-time, and completely shut down the two major advantages from the first half (inside scoring & transition baskets). It's disappointing that Roy didn't make a counter-move. The Heels seemed lost for much of the second half. Of course, I'm very pleased the game was competitive. But they actually had me believing at half-time that they could pull this one out. Silly me...
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #844
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Article detailing some of the changes we'll be seeing with March Madness coverage this year.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colum...orts-Hiestand+
Old 02-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #845
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

What the hell is this truTV? I'm really getting sick of these damn networks throwing games on obscure networks (hint hint cable companies - be prepared to be charged MORE for them in following years; hint hint cable subscribers - be prepared to be charged MORE for them in following years).

Edit - I just looked it up. This used to be CourtTV. There's a name from the past!

Last edited by tyketime : 02-11-2011 at 09:01 AM.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #846
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
UNC has ... a huge stretch coming up, at BC, vs FSU, at Duke, at Clemson. They played the closest thing to a complete game today that I've seen, but still I think 2-2 over the next 4 would be great.

3-1 after an ugly game against Clemson today. At Clemson an ugly win is perfectly acceptable though.

In other news, Wisconsin leads Ohio State by 5 with under 3 minutes to go.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #847
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

No more undefeated teams.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #848
Radii
Head Coach

Grats mauboy, great win for Wisconsin.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #849
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

An incredible win after being down 15 in the second half. Jordan Taylor, this year's Bob Cousy snub and next year's Bob Cousy Favorite absolutely took over. If you watched this game you may think holy crap he made the most ridiculous shots but that's what he's been doing all season. The offense runs around him in the final 10 seconds of the shot clock...he's excelled in that position all year long.

The Badgers definitely needed that one and I was telling other fans that if the Badgers can win that one and then just limit the rest of their season to one or two losses we could POSSIBLY sneak into a 2 seed but surely a 3 seed if they don't get royally screwed like they have in the past.

Strangely enough the Badgers could have easily won 4 of their 5 games they lost (Illinois game was never really in reach, Badgers couldn't make a thing early). They had the lead late in those games, except PSU but still had a shot, and just could not close. This game was the opposite of those games, Badgers had to come back and then they also closed. And here's a big FUCK you to Dickie V who has absolutely no idea what he's talking about, saying that the Badgers had no chance to come back due to their offense. Dickie has been around long enough to know better than saying something like that.. especially in Madison.

And hats off to Ohio St. Those guys are real good. I was somewhat shocked to see Lauderdale did not play after sitting down after he started the game. Obviously Matta knows what he's doing for the most part but with Diebler shooting trey's with a big lead got me wondering if they should have been trying to work the ball underneath with DL and Sullinger. Whatever. I'm happy. Ohio St should stay #1 or only fall to #2. It shouldn't matter a whole lot in the end though as they'll still get a #1 seed.

Last edited by mauchow : 02-12-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #850
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
No more undefeated teams.

Coastal Carolina now has the longest winning streak in the country! They are getting some serious buzz right now-front sports page article in USA Today, mentioned in Sports Illustrated this week. Might crack the Top 25 next week. Of course they may not hold the winning streak for long as they travel to rival Winthrop tonight. They have not beaten the usually good Eagles in Rock Hill in five years, and they of course were the ones who knocked out Coastal in the Big South tourney last season. They are having a down year, but are coming off a 3 game winning streak and we beat them by 8 here at home earlier this season. But our leading scorer didn't play in that game, so here's hoping he makes all the difference...
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote