LaGarrette Blount
Brandon Spikes
Alfonzo Dennard
Kenny Britt
Michael Floyd
Aquib Talib
Albert Haynesworth
etc.
Outside of Chung how many were on the Pats after any issue when in the organization? We give second chances! And then cut bait quickly when/if they show the same stripes. (It will be amusing when - and it's probably not an if - AB puts something up on the InstaFace & the media tries to get Belichick to respond.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Plus they cheat. Have the commish in their back pocket.

I guess I can see cheering for a team whose owner likes handies. I mean... who doesn't like handies?
People who think Goodell is in cahoots with them or the Patriots actually tampered instead of jumping in when an opportunity appeared are the crazy ones.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:04 PM   #302
RainMaker
General Manager

Patriots owners pays women to jerk him off.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:08 PM   #303
Autumn
Head Coach

On the positive side for the Pats, success breeds success. Players like AB are willing to sign there because of their record. Players like AB have a decent shot at actually thriving there because the locker room culture can deal with a guy like him and he will likely win and get the ball often. And the team can take a risk on a guy like AB because the front office and Belichik and Brady are not worried about their jobs, and will drop a guy immediately if he doesn't shape up.

As much as this type of thing stinks for the rest of the league, the rest of the league saw it coming simply because there's not really any other place that can and will handle a guy like this. Most locker rooms have someone else in it who won't put up with a new hothead like AB, or have a coach who doesn't have the job security to stand firm against the talent, or can't be sure enough about winning to keep a guy like AB happy. Until the team starts slipping in its locker room culture or its ability to win consistently, the Pats can always afford to take on one guy like this.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:31 PM   #304
Swaggs
Coordinator

Can’t blame the Pats for going for it — AB is too good, and the NFL has too many big egos that, to think he wouldn’t get another chance. I hate the Patriots as much as anyone, but I don’t think there’s much risk here (aside from him not having reps/familiarity with the offense). Teams spend guaranteed money on draft picks that don’t pan out every year, so seems like a reasonable chance to take.

I do wish this was not happening the week the Steelers play the Pats. Steelers have been remarkably drama free this preseason. Now, it’s going to be all we hear about for the next few days surrounding the game.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:41 PM   #305
miami_fan
Coordinator

Man, there is some hate in this thread. You would have thought he had joined a 73 win team or something.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:16 AM   #306
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I’m not really salty about the patriots thing. But I am slightly annoyed at how there are no consequences for such horrible behavior.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:36 AM   #307
miked
College Starter

I don't get why people think it is tampering. It was days before he was cut where people were speculating that the Raiders would go after his guarantees, if I were his agent I'd be phoning around the league too. I mean, I'm a Jets fan so my Patriots hate runs deep, but the Pats are not the only team signing character-issue players, they just win so these nutjobs and assholes are willing to take less to get the ring.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:01 AM   #308
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Ok, guys. I need you to put on your tin foil hats for a minute....

Do you think it is entirely possible that AB never really had intention to play for the Raiders? How else could you explain that contract? He got $0 dollars at signing, $0 through the off season, and still had not gotten a dime before the first game. This was a contract that Drew Rosenhaus negotiated? No really guaranteed money for this long? An easy out for the team if they chose to cut him? Does it smell like bullshit in here?

They couldn't get the Pats (or team he was really interested in going to) to give up enough draft picks to trade for him to start, so they instead agree to a trade to the Raiders. Then, project "how much do I need to do to get cut without getting suspended by the league)" began. Signing a contract with an easy out for the Raiders was first. Then began the clown show. Not showing up training for craziness. Not wanting to wear a new helmet. This reason, that reason. As a final straw, going after the GM.

I think they may started wondering how far they were going to have to go. In then end, I think he got just what he wanted all along.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 09-08-2019 at 08:02 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:56 AM   #309
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Man, there is some hate in this thread. You would have thought he had joined a 73 win team or something.

I'd say it's more like a problem child player, that played for a top franchise talked his way out of town over money. You can argue he was right and deserved more, that's fine, no argument other than being a behavior risk at all times.

Got the trade he wanted to a team that was paying him the money he wanted. All is cool right? Well not so much as it's a rebuilding team, never mind they were pretty much tonguing his asshole as much as they could. So he pisses on the team because, for all that money, they expect him to show up for work? Wow, really, that's not fair! Now since they're being so unfair he asks for his release.

Now he joins the 73 win team.

I'm with stevew, annoyed there's no consequences.

My only hope is that he can't help being himself (it would be fun to see him get in Brady's face on the sidelines some time) and Belichick puts a stop to it.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:26 AM   #310
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Let me ammend a little. The Patriots are reported to have offered the Steelers a first round draft pick, but the Steelers blocked any trade to them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:07 AM   #311
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

There is justified hate. This sets a bad precedence for the league. The NFL should have stepped in and suspended him for a year for all the crap he was doing. Instead he gets essentially rewarded for acting like a spoiled brat throwing a tantrum.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #312
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I'm all about player rights and usually think loyalty to an organization is usually misguided, but fuck this guy.

Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:17 AM   #313
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
There is justified hate. This sets a bad precedence for the league. The NFL should have stepped in and suspended him for a year for all the crap he was doing. Instead he gets essentially rewarded for acting like a spoiled brat throwing a tantrum.
You don't think that Goodell and Kraft were part of this orchestration? The NFL is turning into a combo of touch football and the WWE, and it is getting very tiresome.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:30 AM   #314
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Ok, guys. I need you to put on your tin foil hats for a minute....

Do you think it is entirely possible that AB never really had intention to play for the Raiders? How else could you explain that contract? He got $0 dollars at signing, $0 through the off season, and still had not gotten a dime before the first game. This was a contract that Drew Rosenhaus negotiated? No really guaranteed money for this long? An easy out for the team if they chose to cut him? Does it smell like bullshit in here?

They couldn't get the Pats (or team he was really interested in going to) to give up enough draft picks to trade for him to start, so they instead agree to a trade to the Raiders. Then, project "how much do I need to do to get cut without getting suspended by the league)" began. Signing a contract with an easy out for the Raiders was first. Then began the clown show. Not showing up training for craziness. Not wanting to wear a new helmet. This reason, that reason. As a final straw, going after the GM.

I think they may started wondering how far they were going to have to go. In then end, I think he got just what he wanted all along.

Thought this was a bit of a stretch when first posted. However....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Let me ammend a little. The Patriots are reported to have offered the Steelers a first round draft pick, but the Steelers blocked any trade to them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Didn't know NE had offered a #1 until hearing it on espn or nfl network this morning. AB and his agent both obviously know this and makes your above speculation seem not so tin hat after all. If nothing else, the whole time, they know NE is always on the back burner.

It would be almost impossible to prove but it would only take one phone call from NE to AB's camp to say, "hey if it falls apart we're here"....
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:06 PM   #315
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I’m not really salty about the patriots thing. But I am slightly annoyed at how there are no consequences for such horrible behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
I'd say it's more like a problem child player, that played for a top franchise talked his way out of town over money. You can argue he was right and deserved more, that's fine, no argument other than being a behavior risk at all times.

Got the trade he wanted to a team that was paying him the money he wanted. All is cool right? Well not so much as it's a rebuilding team, never mind they were pretty much tonguing his asshole as much as they could. So he pisses on the team because, for all that money, they expect him to show up for work? Wow, really, that's not fair! Now since they're being so unfair he asks for his release.

Now he joins the 73 win team.

I'm with stevew, annoyed there's no consequences.

My only hope is that he can't help being himself (it would be fun to see him get in Brady's face on the sidelines some time) and Belichick puts a stop to it.

He did have consequences. The Raiders fired him without pay, right? If he does not show up for work, bitches about his helmet, or curses out the GM with the Patriots, the Patriots will fire him too.

I guess what I don't understand is the perception that the Patriots should have some sort of solidarity with the Raiders (and to a lesser extent the Steelers) over Brown's behavior with those teams. They don't care and the funny thing is they seemed to have fooled people into believing they should/do care.

Time will tell if the Brown signing is a good or bad one for the Patriots. One thing I don't think any of us believe is that he is going to be the "distraction" that he was on the Steelers and the Raiders. Is it because he will be a completely changed human being? Maybe. I suspect it will be because the Patriots will enforce the things that matter to them and not make a big deal out of the other stuff.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:10 PM   #316
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Watching the Browns game. This Blindside block rule is...something for sure.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #317
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Vernon Davis must have gone to Germany this offseason
Old 09-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #318
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

That sound you hear is Fantasy Football Players breaking the sound barrier in an attempt to claim Hollywood Brown from waivers.

Foles out with a shoulder injury.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:53 PM   #319
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The Dolphins are historically/hysterically bad.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #320
BishopMVP
Coordinator

For all Miami's issues I thought they still had a good secondary. Wrong week to go up against Lamar Jackson!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:56 PM   #321
cuervo72
Head Coach

WTF, Eagles.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #322
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Mahomes injured?
Old 09-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #323
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Both Hill and Mahommes injured for Chiefs.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:00 PM   #324
bhlloy
Coordinator

Myles Jack challenging Antonio for toddler of the week award
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #325
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Myles Jack challenging Antonio for toddler of the week award

Yeah that looked like my 4 year old going limp because he didnt want to leave the field.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:03 PM   #326
sabotai
General Manager

Only a quarter and a half and the boo-birds are out in Philly already. Rightfully so. The offense isn't doing much, and the defense looks like hot garbage so far.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:08 PM   #327
bhlloy
Coordinator

I can’t see the Dolphins winning a game this year if that is what the defense looks like
Old 09-08-2019, 01:10 PM   #328
sabotai
General Manager

Holy shit. Just saw the BAL-MIA score. 35-3 and only halfway through the 2nd quarter.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #329
bhlloy
Coordinator

Sam Darnold is cursed to always play behind a terrible offensive line. And Miami might be single handedly changing the NFL tanking rules at this rate.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #330
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Fuck the Dolphins leadership for this disgraceful product. This makes me so angry. It's one thing if the team just sucked due to mistakes, but the Dolphins intended to put this disaster on the field in service of this unethical concept of tanking.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:48 PM   #332
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Browns hype train already burning up on re-entry.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:55 PM   #333
Thomkal
Head Coach

I hate Week 1 injuries, hope none are too serious.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:57 PM   #334
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Tried to watch football. Browns/Titties game was brutal. Mariotta is just eye trash. Browns looking good in regular season. Washington Philly game was also on but meh.

I just decided to go work instead.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:09 PM   #335
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Fuck the Dolphins leadership for this disgraceful product. This makes me so angry. It's one thing if the team just sucked due to mistakes, but the Dolphins intended to put this disaster on the field in service of this unethical concept of tanking.

Yeah, not a great look for the fans who spent thousands on tickets just to see the team blatantly tank a week before the season. It may very well be time for the NFL to look at deincentivizing that like the other leagues have.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #336
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Yeah, not a great look for the fans who spent thousands on tickets just to see the team blatantly tank a week before the season. It may very well be time for the NFL to look at deincentivizing that like the other leagues have.

I wish all sports just used a non-weighted lottery for draft pick order. High draft picks are so valuable in the NBA and NFL, it's just so backwards that the way to get that important prize is to be terrible at the sport. Logically, if winning a championship is the primarily goal, every team who doesn't have a realistic chance at a championship a particular year should intentionally lose 100% of their games. I don't know why it's so important for leagues to make sure that the teams that play the worst get the highest pick. It'd be more exciting if an occasional young team on the rise that played their hearts out to get to 7-9 or 40 wins in the NBA hit the jackpot and get a high pick.

Last edited by molson : 09-08-2019 at 02:21 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #337
sabotai
General Manager

Looks like the real Philadelphia and Washington teams showed up after half time.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #338
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They should just do the draft Fantasy auction style. Each team gets 1000 points. Each non playoff team gets 200 points extra. Each team can receive up to 500 extra points via trade. Each team can access up to 1000 additional points to be borrowed against their next two drafts.

Much better for TV purposes.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:45 PM   #339
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
But I am slightly annoyed at how there are no consequences for such horrible behavior.

In a sane universe, a team could suspend a player like this without pay. But that would never fly with the union.

I think most posters here tend to take the players side in disputes with owners. But this is one of the consequences of players having too much power.

Of course only when something benefits the Patriots is anyone concerned about such things. If he had signed with the Browns everyone would just be laughing at the Raiders.

Last edited by molson : 09-08-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:55 PM   #340
Atocep
Coordinator

RGIII throws his first TD pass since 2016. I figured the Dolphins were going to be bad, but this is something else. They're making the Lamar Jackson Ravens look like the '07 Patriots.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:01 PM   #341
molson
General Manager

A lot of offenses today don't seem to be having any trouble from limited pre-season work. I think that narrative was a little overplayed Thursday. Those two defenses were just good and those offenses just very questionable.

Last edited by molson : 09-08-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #342
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Broken Clavicle for Foles.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:23 PM   #343
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Broken Clavicle for Foles.

Wow.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:27 PM   #344
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The Browns are back!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:51 PM   #345
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I swear, the only thing that might be more irritating in this shitburger of a season for my Dolphins is the ridiculous defensiveness from Patriots fans. Maybe one day your team will suck and you'll no longer be burdened by the "unfair" attacks against your team. No one hopes for that day more than me.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:04 PM   #346
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

How was that intentional grounding? There was a receiver in the area.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:08 PM   #347
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
How was that intentional grounding? There was a receiver in the area.

The ball never got back to the line of scrimmage, but I thought there was contact at the end of the throwing motion that could have affected the release

Last edited by AlexB : 09-08-2019 at 04:08 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:13 PM   #348
AlexB
Pro Starter

An excerpt from the Miami Herald initial reaction to today’s game:

Quote:
At least all of your worst fears can be dismissed. You thought Miami might be too good to get their franchise QB next spring? Rest easy. Sunday left little doubt.

At one point during a timeout they had one of those patriotic tributes to a military person.

I think it was to temporarily stop Dolfans from booing.

Miami trailed so quickly the national anthem and military flyover had barely ended.

The Dolphins gave up plays of 49, 47, 83, 33 and 60 yards. And that was just In the first half.

By this time NFL commissioner Roger Goodell should have signed an emergency executive order instituting a mercy rule to end this game early.

Activists from PETA should deployed outside the stadium to picket the cruel and inhumane treatment of Dolphins.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #349
bhlloy
Coordinator

If Kyle Shanahan is an offensive genius I'm the Queen of England
Old 09-08-2019, 04:58 PM   #350
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well about that new coach and QB in Arizona...