Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-15-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Game Ideas Inquiry

Since I am slowly inching up the list I figure I might as well start thinking about my next game. After going television (Charmed) and movie (Office Space) I am trying to decide which direction to head next.

I have a few ideas and any feedback would be appreciated. Especially since I don't want anyone to feel uneasy with some of the roles. The ideas are not listed in any specific order.

1) Operation Valkyrie - The village gets the evil role here as they are the SS and their not so esteemed leader, Hitler. The wolves are the resistance and their goal is to eliminate Hitler and get the 1 to 1 ratio. It's espionage at the highest level. This would be similar to the mining game in that you should expect historical tidbits throughout the game. My concern here is that someone is going to end up getting the role of Hitler. I don't want the game to potentially alienate anyone who may not want to see that role within the game.

2) Left 4 Dead - Many have played it on their consolse and PC's, now it's time for WW. The village is the zombie horde with some special roles. The survivors are the "wolves" and their goal is to survive.

3) The Lost Boys - Return to the movie themes, this one should lend itself to a good basic game of WW.

4) The New York Mess - Can a team look that bad in the field if there is not something sinister happening behind the scenes? You are a highly paid member of the team, the wolves among you are trying to throw as many games as possible. You need to eliminate them before they take over the team completely.

5) Pending WW2 idea - Trying to figure out a way to incorporate some additional strategy into a WW game and make it not only historical but strategic. You make your moves and the wolves make their moves as you fight over the same land. (Most likely themed around Bastogne)

Thanks in advance.

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #2
KWhit
Coordinator

I like #5. I like games that have additional elements of strategy above and beyond straight WW.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #3
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

anything as long as its simple, no silly roles, no silly twists!

we need to get back to WW not see who can make a stranger game!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
anything as long as its simple, no silly roles, no silly twists!

we need to get back to WW not see who can make a stranger game!

1 through 4 should basically provide that. Looking for them to be mostly straight forward WW with some roles based on the theme. Number 5 would be kind of like WW with a little strategy thrown in (if I can figure out the right balance).

Last edited by EagleFan : 07-15-2009 at 02:18 PM.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I care much more about game mechanics than IP.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I care much more about game mechanics than IP.

I was going to say the same thing.

TBH, I get nothing out of the addition of a theme or setting or whatever if it doesn't change the gameplay. Now, if the game itself is changed based upon the setting chosen, then it can work (I think the 24 game was successful in that), but just a straightforward ww game that just changes 'Wolves' into 'Spies' or something doesn't seem worth the effort, IMO.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
I was going to say the same thing.

TBH, I get nothing out of the addition of a theme or setting or whatever if it doesn't change the gameplay. Now, if the game itself is changed based upon the setting chosen, then it can work (I think the 24 game was successful in that), but just a straightforward ww game that just changes 'Wolves' into 'Spies' or something doesn't seem worth the effort, IMO.

Completely agree. I'm going to go the opposite of clap and say that I prefer complex games because I enjoy trying to plot an optimal route through different situations.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
Autumn
Head Coach

These all sound pretty interesting to me.

FWIW, I'm on the list after EF and I definitely plan on running a simple, back to basics WW game for my first attempt at moderating. So, EF, I think you should do what you want, I know some people are longing for simple, that's one reason I'm going that direction.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #9
Autumn
Head Coach

In particular, the Hitler role doesn't bother me, but you could always tweak it if you think it would bother someone. Make it a generic Fuhrer or just make it less specifically WWII Germany. I think that setup could be fun though.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #10
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Completely agree. I'm going to go the opposite of clap and say that I prefer complex games because I enjoy trying to plot an optimal route through different situations.

I'm of the same mindset, but there is a wide enough mixture of preferences among the players here that I'm glad we do run a good number of "simple" games.

Funny thing is, I think that "24" was a lot simpler than the last couple of games that I've run. I know it was easier to moderate.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:39 AM   #11
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
I'm of the same mindset, but there is a wide enough mixture of preferences among the players here that I'm glad we do run a good number of "simple" games.

Funny thing is, I think that "24" was a lot simpler than the last couple of games that I've run. I know it was easier to moderate.

of course it was simpler...nothing you could come up with could possibly be more difficult to moderate than the last monstrosity of a game that needed a Cray-2 to compile the daily activities.

and FTR, not only would i not have a problem with the hitler game, i would love that theme, being the WW2 buff that i am
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:46 AM   #12
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I think the Hitler game is less political than a couple of Abe's games. I also have no issues with it and would, schedule permitting, play in it.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:02 PM   #13
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Heh.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #14
hoopsguy
General Manager

Just realized that I never commented on theme - I know we already had a "Major League" theme, which sounds pretty similar to the Mets one. I'm all for kicking the NY Mets when possible, but ideally this one would be fairly different from the "Major League" game if you were going to run it.

I've never played L4D and I've never seen Valkyrie, although I'm familiar with the high-level details for both. Lost Boys probably qualifies as a guilty pleasure movie at this point in my life. But any of these would be fine, as long as the underlying game is fun. From what you described, I would probably go with the Valkyrie game if forced to pick.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:22 PM   #15
Danny
Head Coach

All of them sound alright, but I'd probably prefer the Valkyrie or WW2 game.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #16
Passacaglia
Coordinator

What's IP?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #17
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Intellectual Property