Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-16-2022, 10:53 AM   #1
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Pay-Per-Mile Car Insurance & Telematics devices

Time for our annual car insurance renewal, and my wife would like for us to consider switching to a pay-per-mile insurance policy instead of a regular policy. On one hand, it makes sense as we both average around 5000-6000 miles per year. The Agent estimated the "break-even" point would be somewhere around 8500 miles/car. But in order for them to track our mileage, we have to install an actual device in the car and/or phone app. This is when the red flags start to appear for me. I am very well aware that we are tracked as much as technologically possible. From computer, to phone, to credit cards, and everything else. Do I now need to add another tracking device?

One quote we received is for Allstate Milewise. We would have to install a small device into the car (plugged into OBD port) and download their app. The rate is calculated as a combination of:
- Fixed Daily Rate
- A Per-Mile Rate (capped at a certain maximum per day so the occasional road trip doesn't bust the budget)

But they also track the following which would reduce the discount (thus increasing your daily rate):
- Limit sudden braking
- Keep speeds below 80mph
- Limit late-night trips between 11PM and 4AM

As part of their brochure, they also show a route map that shows where you were driving and when "negative" incidents occur. So there is also true GPS functionality built into it. While I'm not that worried I would get dinged for any of the driving behavior issues (certainly not the 2nd/3rd points), it just feels to me like another Big Brother is Watching scenario.

So I ask whether any of you have experience using this type of insurance program? Am I just being too paranoid to sell more of my privacy to save money? If the Agents' estimate holds true, we would probably save ~20% annually ($400ish). Would that be worth it for you to make the switch?

tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 11:03 AM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I worked for Progressive for years, and while I don't know the inner working of their similar device which was called Snapshot, I wouldn't do it to save $400. It isn't about the privacy or data for me. My recollection is we would hear a lot of people claim it is too touchy, specifically with the hard breaking. I also wouldn't want it to enter in to my mind literally every time I was behind the wheel., or if someone was going to borrow my car.

That being said, I would imagine there isn't any kind of contract so if you tried it and didn't like it you should be able to switch pretty easily.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 11:22 AM   #3
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Hard-braking seems to be the most common complaint I found as well.
Old 02-16-2022, 11:26 AM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole.

Wouldn't work for us anyway on the mileage basis but it's a hard no regardless afaic
Old 02-16-2022, 11:30 AM   #5
Kodos
Resident Alien

It would be a hard no for me too. No additional tracking, thanks.
Old 02-16-2022, 12:11 PM   #6
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
It would be a hard no for me too. No additional tracking, thanks.

That's certainly how I feel. Now I need to convince the Mrs.
Old 02-16-2022, 12:22 PM   #7
miked
College Starter

I teach in Ireland in the summers and we usually rent a car. Pre-covid we rented from Europcar and each night they would send me a "score" based on proper shifting, speeds, etc. It was kind of like a game for me because it usually took me a few drives to really get used to shifting with my left hand and things like that. But after a while it seemed a bit obnoxious and intrusive. I don't know why we let our phones listen to our convos and track where we shop and use our credit cards, but cars is where we draw the line. I guess my big thing is I would not want to get a note one day that my rate was going up because I had too much "hard braking" defined by their algorithm, or something similar.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:34 AM   #8
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

When Mrs Tyke asked which policy we should go with, I started listing my privacy concerns. Surprisingly, she stopped me right away and said she was also in agreement with not going with the pay-per-mile policy. Thank you all for the sanity check!
Old 02-20-2022, 10:10 AM   #9
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I didn't even know about this. Man, you'd have to be giving me a lot more than 20% savings to even consider something like this.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 01:01 PM   #10
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I worked for Progressive for years, and while I don't know the inner working of their similar device which was called Snapshot, I wouldn't do it to save $400. It isn't about the privacy or data for me. My recollection is we would hear a lot of people claim it is too touchy, specifically with the hard breaking. I also wouldn't want it to enter in to my mind literally every time I was behind the wheel., or if someone was going to borrow my car.

That being said, I would imagine there isn't any kind of contract so if you tried it and didn't like it you should be able to switch pretty easily.

I used that Progressive device after my divorce in 2010. I've long forgotten what I saved but it was a good chunk of change per month. That was a fairly significant thing for me at the time...I was paying half a mortgage, my apartment rent, and trying to get out of the mountain of debt my ex-wife provided me. It was a big relief.

That's why it puzzled me when the renewal came in that they wanted me to pay even more than before I used the device. I remember being on the phone with someone in customer service who just had a terrible time explaining it. No accidents. No tickets. No real reasoning.

I switched companies with a quickness and I've been with them for about 12 years now.