That should be fun, to say the least
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:19 PM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
That should be fun, to say the least

No doubt about it. I might have to resubscribe to HBO NOW when it comes on.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:29 AM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

Chucky = Fun
Old 06-12-2019, 07:48 AM   #5
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Chucky = Fun

albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:36 AM   #6
PilotMan
Head Coach

The reports on Matt Stafford this morning are a bit disturbing. Playing through broken bones in your back is both amazing and kind of sickening.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:48 AM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I've seen some shocking stories before but ... Jesus

Dolphins' Norton has arm amputated after crash
Old 07-05-2019, 12:37 AM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's kinda icky they run to press with amputation news cause he has a famous sounding name and lost limbs draw clicks. I hope he's ok
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:24 PM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Shocker that it's 40 Yards of Fool's Gold
Old 07-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #10
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I can't believe this guy is in poor academic standing

Old 07-12-2019, 01:53 PM   #11
molson
General Manager

The NFL has proposed an 18-game season with a 16 game per-player season limit.

16 games seems like plenty from a fan standpoint, but it'd be fascinating to see the strategies employed by teams to work in backup QBs, kickers/punters, etc (unless those positions are exempt).

Last edited by molson : 07-12-2019 at 01:54 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:11 PM   #12
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The NFL has proposed an 18-game season with a 16 game per-player season limit.

16 games seems like plenty from a fan standpoint, but it'd be fascinating to see the strategies employed by teams to work in backup QBs, kickers/punters, etc (unless those positions are exempt).

The only thing I don't like about this is it further de-emphasizes divisional games. We went from 8 of 16 games being within the division to 6 of 16. This would make it 6 of 18.

But I do like the idea of the 16 game limit for players and the strategy implications for the 2 games of backups, especially for QB's. They'd almost certainly have to expand the roster sizes to make this happen.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:12 PM   #13
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I don't see how that works at QB/WR in particular. Owners just getting out in front so they can pull this off the table & say how nice they are only having 16 games during CBA negotiations. I also still think an NFL sponsored/affiliated spring 7v7esque league to help develop/find guys at the skill positions where weekly wear & tear isn't as severe would be a big moneymaker. XFL2? Couldn't care less. Jarrett Stidham throwing to N'Keal Harry, Braxton Berrios, and these 6 other UDFA's or no-name FA's with Patriots helmets on? I'm in.

Speaking of Patriots passing duos, Brady was in LA last week & just happened to work out with Rob Gronkowski... It's the most obvious joke in the world, but I agree the odds of Gronk coming back in November have now offically gone from 50/50 to 69%.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:41 PM   #14
Logan
Head Coach

Still don't understand why they haven't moved on a second bye week. Same number of games but an extra week of regular season to sell, but gets more rest for players.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #15
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I like the idea of an 18 game season with 2 bye weeks.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:07 PM   #16
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I know these things are incremental but 20 regular season games with 4 player bye weeks and no regular bye weeks and no preseason games is probably where it should be. No need for a developmental league if you just run a 70 man extended roster
Old 07-12-2019, 03:10 PM   #17
Logan
Head Coach

It just seems like a very strange move to intentionally degrade the quality of your product. Injuries aside, a football season is short enough where you can rely on every team putting their best 46 players on the field for every game. But instead you want to scrape off on average 5 or 6 of those guys for every game? Seems crazy.

Although I'll appreciate the irony of a Pats game getting flexed to SNF and then NBC gets stuck with Brian Hoyer behind center.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #18
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I'm all for a second bye week, but very much opposed to an 18 game schedule.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:30 PM   #19
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

16 games
2 bye weeks
No one gets Thursday football on short rest
Old 07-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
It just seems like a very strange move to intentionally degrade the quality of your product. Injuries aside, a football season is short enough where you can rely on every team putting their best 46 players on the field for every game. But instead you want to scrape off on average 5 or 6 of those guys for every game? Seems crazy.

We aren't in agreement all that often but, yeah, this is some MLB-caliber dumb a.f. stuff as proposals go.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:56 PM   #21
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I know these things are incremental but 20 regular season games with 4 player bye weeks and no regular bye weeks and no preseason games is probably where it should be. No need for a developmental league if you just run a 70 man extended roster
We already have 4 games with backup QB's, fluctuating rosters, and less cohesive play - it's called the preseason and it sucks. You want to move these 4 games into the meat of the schedule and count them for playoff purposes?

The main thing separating the quality of the NFL product from bad alternative leagues is those top 20 or so QB's, and you want a system where they're forced to sit 20% of the games?
Old 07-12-2019, 04:07 PM   #22
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Btw in this hypothetical world, would you just play your QB the first 16 weeks & hope you've clinched by the last two? Or would you try and sneak out a couple wins vs a terrible team/throw a game vs a very good one in the middle of the season? If it wasn't for all the other reasons it's a bad idea, this would be shot down by Vegas in a heartbeat.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #23
Kodos
Resident Alien

The 18-game season with 2 byes and no short weeks before Thursday night games seems like a nifty solution.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:08 AM   #24
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

16 games is the perfect fit. Maybe a 2nd bye. The proposed idea is just plain idiocy.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #25
Kodos
Resident Alien

I should clarify. I meant 16 games + 2 byes = 18 week season.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #26
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

If they got 18/16 route...how long before the owners get into a collusion argument.

Ok Jerry, I'll sit all my startes this week when we travel to Dallas, and then you sit yours when you come to ...both home crowds will get to see a W we get a season split.

Or how many players would want to choose their sit week when visiting Denver or GreenBay in December...and then home field advantage gets real.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:20 AM   #27
JPhillips
General Manager

The 16/18 idea seems like a negotiating ploy that isn't well thought through. It is an absolute certainty that pretty quickly a team will have to sit their QB for the last two games after they've turned their season around and look like a possible playoff team. No amount of, They should have prepared for this..., is going to make it any less of a disaster for the NFL and that team's fans. Does the NFL really want the end of a season to be dominated by talk about a stupid rule that keeps players from playing?

edit: Or what about an owner that plays all his guys and dares the NFL to make him forfeit when he needs twenty replacements in weeks 17 and 18?

Last edited by JPhillips : 07-15-2019 at 10:22 AM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #28
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think the move is to just sit as many key starters as possible week 1 and 2. Try to split and proceed accordingly. Unless you have an early bye week. Theoretically all your backups are as coached up as possible at the start of the season. And you can grind out at least 1 win regardless.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #29
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
I think the move is to just sit as many key starters as possible week 1 and 2. Try to split and proceed accordingly. Unless you have an early bye week. Theoretically all your backups are as coached up as possible at the start of the season. And you can grind out at least 1 win regardless.

The NFL! Now with 50% MORE Preseason!
Old 07-15-2019, 10:50 AM   #30
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I think doing it in the first few games is a bad move because some of these guys might get injured during the season. If you sit them early, then you can't potentially use their injured games to eat up those 2 absences.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #31
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I think doing it in the first few games is a bad move because some of these guys might get injured during the season. If you sit them early, then you can't potentially use their injured games to eat up those 2 absences.

This was my thought.

I think it is an absolutely terrible idea, and headed down the path that has given the NBA problems. Considering some NFL fans are all over the country could make it worse. It would be pretty crappy for a Packers fan in say, Tampa Bay, to pay top dollar for a ticket just to have that be a game Arod sits.

Does it address kickers? How do you handle that?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #32
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The whole 18 games, but players can only play 16 games, is very dumb. It would negatively impact fantasy football and could negatively impact gambling, both of which are critical to the NFL's success. I don't see it happening.

16 NFL games is plenty. I'd love to see the pre-season reduced to 2 (or 3) games.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 09:59 AM   #33
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Looks like Tyreek Hill will not be suspended this season. I think that most people had assumed he would be.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #34
Thomkal
Head Coach

Mark Sanchez retires from the NFL for ABC/ESPN job. I'd like to rub this in with my Jets loving twin brother, but kinda hard right now coming from a Cards fan

https://nypost.com/2019/07/23/mark-s...site%20buttons

Last edited by Thomkal : 07-23-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:46 AM   #35
Butter
Coordinator

Learned through that article that FOX is trying to re-start their college pregame show. Didn't they try that already with Erin Andrews?
Old 07-23-2019, 03:04 PM   #36
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Looks like Tyreek Hill will not be suspended this season. I think that most people had assumed he would be.
Jarran Reed is for 6 games though in another case the police declined to press charges. So I guess "you can't prove if it was me or my gf/wife who broke our child's arm, and let's just ignore the tape recordings where I say she should be afraid of me too" is now an accepted defense by the NFL. I believe the NFL's statement also implied that the fact the Missouri DCF took the kid away from Hill & the gf/wife is a point against suspending him? Shurg, villains are always fun to root against I guess.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:26 AM   #37
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Jarran Reed is for 6 games though in another case the police declined to press charges. So I guess "you can't prove if it was me or my gf/wife who broke our child's arm, and let's just ignore the tape recordings where I say she should be afraid of me too" is now an accepted defense by the NFL. I believe the NFL's statement also implied that the fact the Missouri DCF took the kid away from Hill & the gf/wife is a point against suspending him? Shurg, villains are always fun to root against I guess.

Just to clear up some things...

1) the hospital that treated their son's arm said the break was consistent with a person trying to brace for a fall, and not any abuse
2) the full 11 minute tape recording shows that Tyreek's "afraid of me too" was in reference to him exposing Crystal and her family's false testimony to the Oklahoma City Police in the 2014 incident
3) It was the Kansas DCF that temporarily removed the child from the family, as per procedure. He has since been returned to the two of them. It was the recommendation of the DCF that Crystal be evaluated for possibly suffering from Munchhausen syndrome.

For some detailed investigative reporting on the situation, read this: Sex, Lies and Audiotape: Can Tyreek Hill Outrun The Espinal Family?
Old 07-24-2019, 10:33 AM   #38
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Packers release Mike Daniels (in the last year of his deal with a $10 mil salary). He's a big name, but he's really only a 3rd down rusher with this team. He struggled to fit with Pettine last year (10 games - 2 sacks, 5 QB hits and 18 tackles) before hitting IR with a foot injury. I think he'll be a nice addition to a team on a cheap contract, but I can see why GB cut him. There's as good a chance that he ends up on the IR again this year (and the team eats the $10 mil) as there is that he's a productive player living up to the 1-$10 mil deal.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:36 AM   #39
tarcone
Coordinator

He was a good Hawkeye. Sorry to see this. Hope he recovers and continues his career.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #40
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I think Daniels is still a good player. But, with the team signing and drafting guys to play the 3-technique, his role was going to be diminished. I think the Packers cutting him was because of three factors:

1. He wanted a new contract and the team didn't want to pay him. This probably would have been an issue all year. And, if you combine his lack of PT going into a UFA season with not getting an extension - it probably wouldn't have gone well.

2. The team drafted Gary, added Z'Darius Smith and wants use a recent pick in Montravious Adams as inside rushers on 3rd downs. That's really the main usefulness for Daniels at the stage and he looks like just a rotational guy with this group (esp after adding in Clark and Lowry on normal downs).

3. Given Daniels' recent injury history (8 games and IR stints in the past two), his salary ($10 mil) and the risk that he goes on the IR because of injury or injury + unhappiness, I think the team thought it was best to cut him before camp. It sounded like they have been offering him for a pick since June and there were no takers for his salary. There are stories the team will use his $10 mil to extend some upcoming FAs, something they couldn't do if he played and ended up on the IR.

All in all, it was kind of a perfect storm where a useful player got cut before camp. He will help the team that gets him (as long as his health holds up).

Last edited by Arles : 07-24-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:08 PM   #41
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I know it happens every year but it’s totally screwed up that a team can roster a guy for 97% of the offseason and then dump him when all the money/roster spots are dried up elsewhere
Old 07-24-2019, 02:12 PM   #42
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
Just to clear up some things...

1) the hospital that treated their son's arm said the break was consistent with a person trying to brace for a fall, and not any abuse
2) the full 11 minute tape recording shows that Tyreek's "afraid of me too" was in reference to him exposing Crystal and her family's false testimony to the Oklahoma City Police in the 2014 incident
3) It was the Kansas DCF that temporarily removed the child from the family, as per procedure. He has since been returned to the two of them. It was the recommendation of the DCF that Crystal be evaluated for possibly suffering from Munchhausen syndrome.

For some detailed investigative reporting on the situation, read this: Sex, Lies and Audiotape: Can Tyreek Hill Outrun The Espinal Family?
So Tyreek is the victim here and in 2014? She and her family are after his money, but also made up allegations that got him kicked off Oklahoma State and broke off his huge money extension talks? We're alleging she made up the punching/strangling story, he pled guilty to it even though he was completely innocent, and was so forgiving he continued their relationship and got engaged to her 4 years later? Yeah, she might be crazy too, but I'm not buying that he's an innocent bystander this whole time.

My apologies on the geographic mistake.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:50 PM   #43
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
I know it happens every year but it’s totally screwed up that a team can roster a guy for 97% of the offseason and then dump him when all the money/roster spots are dried up elsewhere

Yes. Although if a player has enough leverage, he can negotiate for roster bonuses to be due right before free agency starts, forcing the team to cut him early if they don't want to pay it.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:17 PM   #44
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Does anyone understand the flexing rules and what games can't be moved? The Patriots host the Chiefs on December 8 with a 4:25pm listed start... is CBS allowed to protect some games - it seems odd this isn't already a Monday night game since it's a top 3 game. I might have some friends come down for a football weekend with the ACC Championship game that Saturday night, but if the Patriots game is just going to get flexed to Sunday night it would screw up travel plans.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:10 PM   #45
henry296
College Starter

Yes, they can protect games but they don't make those decisions until the season is underway. Unless Mahomes or Brady get hurt, I would feel comfortable that CBS would protect it. None of the other CBS games are that attractive.
Old 07-25-2019, 02:14 PM   #46
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
Yes, they can protect games but they don't make those decisions until the season is underway. Unless Mahomes or Brady get hurt, I would feel comfortable that CBS would protect it. None of the other CBS games are that attractive.

Also, the Sunday night game is Seahawks-Rams. Unless the Seahawks completely fall apart, that should still be a key dividional game and the Rams offense is a ratings draw (plus, it's LA). So I think Bishop is safe.

Although I do think it's weird the NFL didn't find a way to put that in primetime somewhere.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:57 PM   #47
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Also, the Sunday night game is Seahawks-Rams. Unless the Seahawks completely fall apart, that should still be a key dividional game and the Rams offense is a ratings draw (plus, it's LA). So I think Bishop is safe.

Although I do think it's weird the NFL didn't find a way to put that in primetime somewhere.

Similar to Colts/Pats I think they might want to rotate them and since it was on Sunday night last year, CBS wants it this year.
Old 07-27-2019, 04:15 PM   #48
bhlloy
Coordinator

heh, Golden Tate suspended for 4 games, Coleman out for the season and Shepherd a doubt for the season opener. With Eli Manning's continued excellence, should be a great season up ahead in New York.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:55 AM   #49
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I'm the one who lives here, so I'm great regardless, it's my friends who could be screwed! Sounds like we should be good, and if not I'll tell them to blame Goodell, Ebersol (is he still alive?), and Chief Rum/henry296.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 07-28-2019 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:50 AM   #50
Thomkal
Head Coach

So my beloved Cards had yet another 1st rounder bust on them, this time Robert Nkemdiche was released after showing up to camp not in shape after recovering from an injury. Fellow 1st rounder Haason Reddick may be heading there too with a knee injury this camp already, though he may be back for week 1, Since 2012 only 3 first rounders remain on the roster. I can only hope kyler murray doesn't end up joining that list some day.