Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2009, 12:31 AM   #401
Radii
Head Coach

Rule Change:

I'm turning backcourt violations off. Assuming it doesn't impact gameplay any, I'll probably leave it off. I *love* running the 3/4 court press. It seems to have been exactly what i needed to get a perfect pace to my games. But 2-3 times a game, the pressure occurring at half court randomly forces the opposing team's PG to step over the line. I'm sure anyone who has the game knows what I mean. Since I don't let the CPU do this to me, this has become an unfair advantage and the two solutions seem to be to not press, or turn off backcourt violations. We'll see if it impacts anything else. Backcourt violations for any reason other than this occur maybe once every 7-8 games at the most, so I suspect it'll be fine.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:06 AM   #402
Radii
Head Coach

December 27, 2014

Ohio (7-2) at Virginia (7-5)

I don't think I've ever beaten a power conference team. Here's my best chance yet. Virginia is rated 79 OVR (80 off/78 def/85 sht/82 reb). Virginia is pretty young, and looks to have one incredible freshman and a lot of average players.

They have losses to New Hampshire and Hofstra which seem like bad losses for an ACC team, plus a couple losses to teams with very good records(Iowa/S Florida/Charlotte). At the same time, they have a road win over #13 Maryland.

Scouting

PG Tre Conley – FR – 78 OVR – Conley was a 5* recruit, #20 in the nation and a high school all american. 91 speed/86 quickness. 84 defense. 89 handling, only 76 passing. 80 steals. 83 close/73 med/82 3. 81 off the dribble. Decent physical skills, 84 hustle. This guy is incredible for a true freshman, if he hangs around for 4 years, wow. He leads UVA with 12.3 ppg so far this year, 4.3 assists and 2.3 steals.

SG Kerwin Turner – SR – 72 OVR – 90 speed/84 quickness, 82 defense(but only 65 steals which is good). 85 close/77 med/72 3, 81 in traffic/78 off the dribble. That makes him look like a slasher more than a shooter. 9.9 ppg.

SF Roman St Fort – SO – 72 OVR – 6'7”, average defense for a SF (75), average speed and quickness. 83 close/84 med/63 3. 83 in traffic. Only 5.8 ppg.

PF Engin Lee – SO – 73 OVR - Only 6'7”, but Bright is 6'7 for us so its even. 82 orb/79 drb. 75 post offense/75 post defense. 84 close/80 in traffic, nothing special but not terrible either. 77 from 3, so he can step out and make the long shot with surprising accuracy. 2nd leading scorer on the team, 11.3 ppg/6.9 rpg.

C Lucian Moss – JR – 69 OVR – 6'9”. 71 orb/80 drb, not really that great. 81 post offense/79 post defense. 75 blocked shot rating. 88 close/87 in traffic. Good but nothing too exceptional. We'll have a size advantage on him all game. 8.1 ppg/5.1 rpg.

It'll be interesting to see how badly Conley can hurt us. They have solid depth like you'd expect a power conference team to. 12 guys rated between 68 and 73, then Conley above everyone. Their team profile says they make LOW usage of their bench though so we'll see how that plays out. If they need it, they have good depth.
Half
Time
OHIO
UVA
Notes
12:30
Close game so far, neither team has led by more than 3. House has 7 to lead us. Turner has 6 for virginia. Conley has been ineffective. Backups are in.
7:00
UVA tied it and then hit two three's in a row to take a 6 point lead. We worked our way back into it and Grundy has 6 or 7 points straight now, and we have pulled back ahead by 2. Virginia timeout.
5:50
We call a timeout to get the starters back in. Grundy with 6 and Mendoza with a big 3 and 4 points total during that run.

HALF
We go on a tear in the last 3 minutes, blocks, steals, long rebounds, and lots of dunks by Wendell House. House scored our last 8 or 10 points and has 20 total. Unfortunately, he picked up a stupid 3rd foul with 2 seconds left in the half as well.

Turner has 9 for UVA, and backup SG Guasco has 9 as well. Conley has 5 points/4 assists/2 steals, so its not fair to say totally ineffective. But I feared a lot of points out of him. Theyr'e shooting 16-29, quite well, but we are unconscious... 17-24. A big part of this is House getting so many dunks. Another big part is drawing 8 fouls and going to the line 14 times in the half(10-14).

House is 7-9, 1-1 from 3, 5-6 at the line for 20 points. Grundy has 6, Murphy 5.
15:10
We start strong and take a 52-41 lead, but 2 turnovers and just cold shooting has allowed a 6-0 UVA run. I call a timeout. House is 0-4 this half. Murphy has a 3 and we have a bucket inside from Bright and that's it.
12:30
They've knocked 6 points off the lead and only trail by 2 as I call a time out to get my backups in. Murphy with 3, Bright with 4 and that's it over the last 7:30. Conley is up to 10 for UVA and Turner 11.
11:30
Conley with a 2 after we turn it over, then we get a basket by Keller, and Conley hits a 3 on the other end... he has 15 now and we trail for the first time in a long time.
8:40
Conley and Turner each hit a 3 and they get another fast break basket in addition to that. We trail by 5, they sub out Conley, we are happy. I only have 2 timeouts left so I felt obligated to survive this stretch without burning one. They got 2 different 6th man bonuses in the last 2 minutes or so.
An offensive board and 3 point play get the 6th man going for UVA again. Our last two possessions were a charge on lufkin and a drive to the basket where the defender made an amazing block(ie a foul 90% of the time). This one is slipping away. Starters are back in.
5:30
House with foul #4 on a reach at the top of the key.
4:30
Cooper misses 2 free throws that could have cut the lead down to 4. They score, House turns it over, they score again. Its a 10 point game, and I use my next to last timeout.
4:17
House gets his man in the air and goes by him for a dunk. He now has 22 points. That's great, except he had 20 at the half. Only 2 in the 2nd half.
2:10
We are not meant to win this game. We cut it to 6 again, then they score the next 7 in a row. They get a 3 on a bullshit 2-3 zone call(I guess I need to switch that.. coming out of the press the CPU calls for the 2-3 instead of man to man, my guys just vacate the people they're guarding, wide open 3). Then a 2 after a turnover. Then House draws a foul. His first freethrow goes halfway in and rims around the cylindar and falls out. His second is no good, we get the rebound, kickout to a wide open Murphy, he misses, they fast break and score. We're down 13. Seriously, we are not meant to win here.

We hit a 3. So do they. I call it down 14 with a minute left and run out the clock.

Virginia 87
Ohio 71

Yeah, that final 5 minutes is as close to “CPU Is going to win no matter what you do” as I've ever felt in this game. Of course, we're on the road in a big stadium, its not supposed to be easy. We fell apart like I've never seen before.

Their backcourt just took over the second half. Conley finished with 22 after only 5 in the first half. Turner finished with 21, and SF St. Fort had 15. Conley and Turner combined for 7-13 from 3.

Murphy: 11 points
Cooper: 2 points (0-8 FG, 0-4 3, 2-5 FT)
House: 24 points (4 in the 2nd half only)
Bright: 6 points/5 boards
Watson: 3 points/11 boards

Grundy: 6 points (0 in the 2nd half)
Mendoza: 6
Keller: 5

They outscored me 48-24 in the 2nd half. Ouch! This is probably the worst game I've ever gotten out of Cooper. I tried to actively get him involved multiple times, and he couldn't do squat.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:15 AM   #403
Radii
Head Coach

The rule change is a good one, it stays. Teams don't all of a sudden start using the full court, they still try to stay in the front court, just no BS violations because someone is closely guarded.

Ohio drops to 7th in this week's Mid-Major poll. Three WAC teams in the top 3(Nevada/Utah State/Fresno State). Siena 4th, N. Illinois of the MAC 5th, Loyola MD 6th and then us.

Our last non-conference game is a home game vs 78 rated UMass:

Dec 31, 2014

UMass 75
at Ohio 66

I feared that was coming. Lufkin leads us with 10 points, Murphy with 10 as well. House and Mendoza 9. Cooper 7. Terrible shooting(24-58/5-26 from 3).

We're 8-4 going into conference play.

And, I'll sim my 1st conference game as well:

January 3, 2015

at Ohio 82
E. Michigan 66

EMU is rated 76 OVR, part of the giant clump of teams after the 3 of us rated in the 80s. Lamkin leads us with 16 points in 15 minutes. House 13, Muprhy 12, Keller 12.

Our next two games are huge early contests. At Miami OH (rated 80 OVR, 3rd in the league), and at home vs Ball State (rated 81 OVR, 2nd in the league). Also, the first 4 or 5 teams we play are usually the ones we see twice. I scroll down to the end... yup, 2 of our final 3 games are against Miami OH and Ball State.

i'll play both those games tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #404
Radii
Head Coach

I give Cooper a pep talk before the game, the 3rd one I've used so far this year(Murphy and Mendoza both got one awhile back, they were losing confidence for some reason at the same time). Cooper is down to about 70%, not terrible but he's slumping and I could use a 2 pronged threat, not just House, especially with Miami OH and Ball State coming up.

January 10th, 2015

Ohio (9-4, 1-0 MAC) at Miami OH (8-6, 1-0 MAC)

On Paper, Miami Ohio is right up there with us and Ball State as the best teams in the MAC this year. 80 OVR (80 off/79 def/81 sht/85 reb). They've been inconsistent this year, beating #20 Charlotte at home, winning on the road at Florida State, but losing home games to poor Detroit and Delaware squads.

Miami returns 3 starters from last year's team. Their best player, Crandle, I have not played myself, he was hurt the last time I faced them.

Scouting

PG Amir Bridges – SR – 73 OVR – 92 speed/80 quickness, 80 defense(decent but not great). 88 handles/86 passing, B-/B ratings, both far superior to anything I've got. 81 close/73 med/69 3, 78 off the dribble. 77 steals. Only 63 defensive awareness which might hurt him a bit. 6.9 ppg. Bridges is a transfer player from Saint Mary's, this is his first year at Miami OH.

SG Brian Crandle – JR – 79 OVR – 89 speed/90 quickness, 84 defense, 80 steals. Cooper is in for another long day it would appear. 83 close/76 med/73 3. 82 in traffic/75 off the dribble. Crandle is 6'7” and a good rebounder for a guard. He's only averaging 7.0 ppg so far this year, 4.5 rebounds/3 assists.

SF Roosevelt Hess – JR – 71 OVR – 6'7” natural SF. 85 close/77 med/71 from 3, entirely an offensive threat. 77 off the dribble/83 in traffic, both decent but not great numbers. Not strong at all(58), decent vertical/hustle. He's an awful defender(74) and is slow. If they go man to man House should destroy him. 6.9 ppg.

PF Jarrett McCleod – SO – 75 OVR – A backup last year, McCleod looks solid. 87 orb/77 drb (outstanding on the offensive end, 87 is a really big number there). 81 shot blocker, 73 post D, good vertical, good strength and great hustle. 84 post offense/87 close/84 in traffic. Only averaging 5.9 ppg so far this year somehow. 5.4 rebounds.

C Rylan Gabler – JR – 72 OVR – 6'11”, 85 post offense/90 close/83 in traffic, 77 strength which is good for a B+ rating, looks like a solid offensive threat. 80 blocked shot rating, 78 post defense is pretty good too. 76/77 on the boards off/def, a weak spot for sure. 14.9 ppg/4.1 rpg.

They're scoring about 66 ppg. I expect crandle to be a bigger threat than the 7ppg he's averaging so far.

Half
Time
OHIO
MOH
Notes
15:00
Cooper is off to a great start, 7 points, a steal and an assist. House has 3, Murphy 2. Crandle has 5 for them. Timeout Miami after a Cooper 3
13:10
Backups are in. Cooper with 9 to lead everyone.
8:45
We'd gone up 22-12, they score 6 straight, Keller just hit a bucket to put us back where we were when the backups first came in... 6 point game, and a timeout for Miami.
6:40
7 straight by Miami. Grundy and Keller have been our best backups as far as scoring goes lately, and I'm trying to get them going with absolutely no success. I call a timeout.
5:30
We get Keller a basket, and Lamkin two, one of them coming off a steal in the backcourt. Starters are back in.
2:00
Cooper and House spur an 11-0 run before Miami is able to get a bucket. This is reminding me of Virginia and Providence. We need to hold this lead and not let up any in the 2nd half.

HALF
House hits a runner in the lane with 2 seconds left in the half to give us a 10 point lead. Their SG, Crandle has 11 points. Their SF, Hess has 9. Their PG, Bridges has 5. Our SG, Cooper, has 13. House has 10 at SF. Murphy has 5 at PG. Nice little symmetry there.

They have a 16-12 edge on the boards so far, but we have forced them into 10 turnovers, while only committing 4 ourselves, making up for the difference easily. They have 6 fouls, we have 5. The only guy on either team with 2 fouls is their PG, Bridges.

I mentioned above, we led Providence and Virginia nicely on the road before allowing huge runs before losing. Lets see if we can do better here.
15:30
Both teams start off on a tear in the second half, with the same solid scorers that we had in the first half. House, Murphy and Cooper are all in double figures now as Murphy sinks two key 3's for us. Timeout Miami as we go up 13.
12:15
Still up 13, we call a timeout to get the backups in. Cooper is leading the way for us today which I'm really happy about. House and Murphy are both having solid days as well.
8:05
Backups pushed the lead up to 17 briefly and have not let it below 13, we're doing a good job hanging on to this one so far. Timeout Miami after a Lufkin basket.
6:15
Starters are back in to finish this thing off. It looks like we've got it well in hand at this point, Miami has not done anything close to a run.

We use up the shot clock and Murphy hits a 3 on our first possession after the 6 minute mark. That puts us up 20 and basically seals the game for us. We let them come back a little bit but are never seriously threatened.

Ohio 83
Miami OH 70

Their PG/SG/SF were very strong today. 14 from Bridges, 20 from Crandle, 13 from Hess. Only 5-12 combined for the big men. Rebounding was even, shooting was relatively even, but we attacked the basket more and with more success, only drawing 13 total fouls but most of them allowing us to go to the line, we shot 17 Fts. They drew 9 fouls total and shot 6 free throws.

Murphy: 13 points
Cooper: 26 points/3 assists/3 steals
House: 15 points/4 boards/3 assists/2 steals
Bright: 5 points/9 boards
Watson: 2 points/5 boards

Mendoza: 6 points
Lamkin: 6 points

Great to see Cooper come up big for us today, and Murphy was 3-5 from 3 as well, he's the highest rated 3 point shooter on the team but rarely plays like it. House gets his points as always.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:08 PM   #405
Radii
Head Coach

We remain 7th in the mid-major poll after picking up our 10th win. That game took over 2 hours to play thanks to getting bothered by work a few times, and by the time it was done I really failed to underscore how important a win that was. Road game vs what we perceive to be one of the best teams in the conference, that was a key victory.

Our next game is at home vs a very talented Ball State team that seems to be struggling a little. They lost at Miami OH, and vs Akron. Akron is the clear #4 team in the conference if you look at the ratings, and we play them next, giving us a very tough 3 game stretch against Miami OH, Ball State and Akron.

I'll play Ball State and hopefully Akron as well late tonight after the NCAA Tournament games.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:39 AM   #406
Radii
Head Coach

Slider Change

I make another slider change that i've been looking at making since last season. I reduce the blocking foul slider down to 15 from 45. This isn't because there are too many blocking fouls. Its because I have never played a team that is aggressive enough to draw them. I'm the only one drawing any blocking fouls, ever, never committing any. I'm still going to have an edge at the FT line because I am aggressive in going to the hoop when I have guys that are good at it. But that'll come from shooting fouls, which both teams get a lot of.

The blocking foul, similar to back court violations, seem like something that only I am capable of taking advantage of, so its been limited greatly.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:52 AM   #407
Radii
Head Coach

January 15th, 2015

Ball State (7-7, 0-2 MAC) at Ohio (10-4, 2-0 MAC)

Ball State is 0-2 but we know they're better than this. They're rated 81 OVR (81 off/81 def/83 sht/82 reb). They have a talented starting 5 with no major holes. All 5 of them started last year, so they've got a ton of experience together, with only one underclassman on the floor. They've developed well from last year as well, with 4 of their players having gained 2 or 3 overall ratings points in the last ~12 months(looking back when we played them last January)

Scouting

PG Rod Rowe – JR – 74 OVR – 86 speed/84 quickness. Above average handling and passing (88/81). 84 defense, quite good, and 81 steals, outstanding. 84 close/84 med/67 3. 84 off the dribble/77 in traffic. Looks like a very dangerous player on both ends of the floor. 9.5 ppg, 3rd on the team.

SG Gary Edelin – JR – 82 OVR – Edelin is a JC transfer so this is his second year. 88 speed/87 quickness, 83 defense, 87 steals(A-, very very good). 83 close/84 med/84 3. 84 off the dribble, an outstanding shooter and can create his own shot. He's only averaging 10 ppg so far this year. I noticed last year his shot tendencies are very low. I'm not sure if they develop, but only the “drive” tendency seems noteworthy at all.

SF Fab Minoff – FR – 76 OVR – 6'9” - 81 defense, good for a SF, a solid post defender. 84 close/81 med/64 3(thank goodness). 82 in traffic and a decent dunker. Solid athletic skills, B- vert/B- str, B- hustle. 6.1 ppg/4.3 rpg, which is lower than last year and a bit of a surprise.

PF Herman Wheeler – SO – 70 OVR – Not terribly experienced, average/above average most everywhere on defense. 78/83 on the boards(off/def). 77 post offense/72 defense. Good hustle/vertical/strength so he loks like a pretty good athlete. Only a 76 close range shot/85 in traffic. He doesn't seem like a scoring threat. Not a shot blocker either. 6 ppg/5 rpg

C Russell Kapono – JR – 79 OVR – 7 feet tall with some talent, very scary. 81 on the boards(both off and def), 91post offense, 78 post defense. 92in close/85 in traffic, and he's a good dunker. Strength is 91, average shot blocker... an absolute monster inside. He leads the team with 21 ppg so far this year. This is well up from a 15 point average last season.

They've lost some depth. Last year they ran 9 deep with guys rated 67+. This year its only 8, and one of them is injured for this game(backup SF). So we have a bit of a depth advantage, espicially if we're able to get them in foul trouble.
Half
Time
OHIO
BSU
Notes
15:05
Ball State is having a hard time getting good looks against us and is ice cold. We have a 3 from Cooper, a 3 from Murphy and 2 or 3 dunks by House and are off to a great start. Timeout Ball State.
13:30
They hit 2 2's. We hit 2 3's. Timeout Ball State.
10:18
We hit 2 more 3's. Edelin hits his 1st 3 to keep the lead down to 10 points. They're running a 3-2 defense which is absurdly easy to beat for 3 point shots if they're falling. And right now, for us, they're falling. Backups are finally in.
9:30
Ball State is going to be out of timeouts by halftime at this rate.
Man I love this team. Nearly 6 minutes, and we gave up 2 points. We can be explosive on offense but this is the first year where I have these long stretches of lockdown defense so often. Starters are back in.

HALF
WOW. They actually gained ground in the final minute, we had a 50-19 lead. House scored the first 9 points in a row after the starters came back in, and it was well balanced after that.

Rowe has 0 points. Edelin has 0 points. Minoff has 4, Kapono has 4. Edelin did pick up 2 fouls in 6 minutes of action and sat, but the rest all played 13-14 minutes.

On our end... Murphy is 3-6 from 3 and has 15 total points. House is 6-8 from the floor including a 3 and has 15 points. House is 2-4 from 3 and has 8 points. Keller leads the backups with 6.
15:40
We got the lead up to 31, they cut it down to 24, we get it to 26 again and they call a timeout.

We score the next 4 and go up by 30. I sim the rest of the game.

Ohio 86
Ball State 67

Murphy: 19 points/3 assists
Cooper: 13 points
House: 27 points/4 assists
Bright: 2 points/5 boards
Watson: 2 points/8 boards

Keller: 9 points
Lamkin: 5 points
Grundy: 5 points

Solid. Very solid.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:32 AM   #408
Radii
Head Coach

I was going to play my next game against Akron b/c they're one of the other "best teams in the league" but I really do like the arbitrary nature of simming one out of every two games and the sim element that is added as I have to recruit well and set up strategies well for the sim engine too, not just mash buttons well. Of course, I break this rule all the time in non-conference play to get through early recruiting ASAP, but whatever. Anyway:

Jan 18, 2015

Ohio 96
at Akron 51

Well then. Murphy, Cooper, house, Bright, Mendoza, and Lufkin end up in double figures, House leading all with 16 points on 5-7 shooting. We carry a 39-29 edge on the boards in the win.

Going into the next week, Akron is #11 in the mid-major poll (they are 11-4/3-1 in the MAC), Northern Illinois is #5(14-2/3-1), and we are #3!

#1 Utah State is 17-2 with the 49th best RPI, 5-2 vs teams ranked 51-100. They're #22 in the coaches poll/unranked in the media poll.

#2 Nevada is 15-2 with the 56th best RPI. 4-2 vs 51-100. Unranked in both polls.

Nevada and Utah State play each other on February 5th and March 2nd(both being in the WAC).

#3 Ohio is #24 in the RPI at 12-4. We are 2-2 vs the RPI top 50(!!!!). We're 2-0 vs 51-100. We have two bad losses, but our conference has improved greatly and I dont think we will have many games against teams rated 200 or worse. Our two top 50 wins are Hofstra and San Diego.

Our next two games we should win, I sim the one against the team w/ the worse record:

January 21, 2015

at Ohio 91
C. Michigan 72

Murphy gets 4 fouls in 11 minutes and is scoreless. Cooper 4 fouls in 10 minutes, but scores 13. Watson leads us with 17, House 14, Lamkin and Lufkin 11.

Our next game is vs Buffalo, a game we *should* win very easily, but they are 4-1 in conference play so we'll see.

Last edited by Radii : 03-28-2009 at 02:33 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:37 AM   #409
Radii
Head Coach

January 25th, 2015

Buffalo (9-8, 4-1 MAC) at Ohio (13-4, 5-0 MAC)

Buffalo is rated very poorly, 74 OVR (75 off/73 def/78 sht/80 reb). I notice that through some player development our rebounding rating as a team has improved to 92. Sweet.

Scouting

PG Clark Clement – SR – 74 OVR – 92 speed but 77 quickness. Very good passer, good defender (86). 85 close/69 med/74 3, not great but he'll make shots if open. 9.2 ppg/5.3 apg. 2nd team All-MAC last year.

SG Derwin Sherrod – SO – 70 OVR – Average everywhere. 82 close/73 med/73 3, just 76 off the dribble,don't leave him open but he isn't going to kill me. 80 defense is average, maybe a bit above, but Cooper should do fine anyway. 87 speed/74 quickness. 8.4 ppg.

SF Donovan Becker – SO – 66 OVR – A natural PF, stuck here b/c of an injury to their starter. He's awful. 64 on ball defense, 70 speed, 82 close/68 med/59 3. 79 in traffic. Average vertical and hustle. If they play a man to man defense House might score 40. I'm not exaggerating.

PF Elton Falls – JR – 79 OVR – 6'9”, Average on the boards (80 o/80 d), great in the post (85 o/88 d), and a solid scorer. 91 close/87 in traffic, can step out and shoot too, 77 med/71 3. He's a good leaper and is strong for a PF(79 str/B+). 18.2 ppg/7.4 rpg are outstanding.

C JJ Arnold – SO – 73 OVR – badly undersized, 6'7” 235 lbs. Average rebounder (76 o/83 d). Good post offense (83) but horrific post defense(67). 84 close/77 in traffic. 9.0 ppg/7.9 rpg. His rebound totals shock me.

This is a team with some talent, Clement and Falls are outstanding players. But they're missing a starter in 76 rated Ronnie Burleson at SF. And worse than that, they only have 6 guys rated over 60 on the roster. That includes Burleson. With him out, they have 5, their starters... their best backup is rated 54 OVR.

Half
Time
OHIO
BUF
Notes
13:00
Well, Elton Falls is singlehandedly keeping Buffalo in the game. He scored their first 10 points before sitting to rest a couple minutes ago. House has 10 too. Backups are in.
Falls came back in and he has 12 now, but the rest of their team is completely shut down. Grundy has 7 against their backup big man(Falls is set up at center, Grundy at PF). Timeout Buffalo.
6:25
We start to pull away. Grundy just demolishes their backup big man inside, I think he has 10 or 12 now. Starters are back in.
2:15
Ugh, we're running to put the game away and House is fouled in transition going for a monster dunk. Lufkin comes in as House is hurt... fingers crossed.

HALF
House is 10-11 from 20 points. Grundy is 4-4/3-4 at the line, 11 points. Lufkin is 3-3/2-2 at the line, 8 points. Falls has 14 for Buffalo, nearly half their points still.

No word on House's injury yet.
18:40
House has strained ligaments in his knee. Day to day. Whew.

I go up 30 with about 17 minutes left and sim to the end. Holy crap, we didn't let up apparently.

Ohio 112
Buffalo 66

That's just mean.

Murphy: 9 points/4 assists
Cooper: 22 points
House: 23 points
Bright: 0 points/6 boards
Watson: 4 points/6 boards

Mendoza: 14 points
Grundy: 13 points/7 boards
Lufkin: 11 points

Yeah...
Old 03-28-2009, 03:40 AM   #410
Radii
Head Coach

Well, we're not in the top 25, but there's a noticeable change to the mid-major poll:

1.Ohio (14-4)
2.Nevada (17-2)
3.Utah State (18-3)
4.Hofstra (15-6)
5.Loyola (MD) 15-4
6.San Diego (15-6)
7.N Illinois (16-3)

We're #1, We're #1 (out of the middling conferences, but surely not really, no way in hell we are a better team than Nevada or Utah State).

Our win over San Diego looks better and better, and I cannot wait to play Northern Illinois. Utah State remains #22 in the coaches poll despite dropping a game last week. That also remains as the only mid major in either major poll, neither Nevada or Ohio get a whiff from either.

Our next two games are both on the road. I'll again play the team with the much better record between the two. The first, Western Michigan, is 0-6 in conference play.

Jan 28, 2015

Ohio 65
at Western Michigan 59

Wow, WMU PF Waitari Braun, a 6'6” PF with good post offense, 91 close/80 in traffic ratings... scores 29 on us, nearly half of WMU's points.

We get 13 from House, no one else is in double digits. 9 for Cooper, 7 for Watson, Lufkin, Grundy, and Keller.

Next up, we travel to Toledo, rated about the same as WMU but with a winning record.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:01 AM   #411
Radii
Head Coach

January 31th, 2015

Ohio (15-4, 7-0 MAC) at Toledo (10-9, 4-3 MAC)

Toledo is rated 76 OVR (78 off/76 def/80 sht/81 reb). They have one solid win this year, in the non-conference schedule over Gonzaga. In conference play they've lost to Buffalo, Northern Illinois and Ball State. They did beat Miami OH who seems pretty good. Their other wins are over the bottom teams in the league it appears.

We haven't played out a game vs Toledo since 2013, and they had 4 seniors then, so I don't know any of these guys. They do have one injury, to their starting PG. There's no excuse for the dominance we're going to have inside though.

Scouting

PG Doyle Henson – SR – 69 OVR – 86 speed/86 quicks, 81 defense. 78 close/75 med/72 3, 78 off the dribble. Poor handling and passing for a PG (82/70). 7.4 ppg/2.6 apg.

SG Phillip Scott – JR - 69 OVR – 76 defense, 83 close/84 med/69 3. Not a lot else to worry about. 6.4 ppg.

SF Tim Krymski – JR – 76 OVR – 6'6”. Good speed for a SF (82 spd/81 qck). 77 defender, not good enough to slow down House. 80 close/78 med/68 3, 82 in traffic, only 74 off the dribble. 9.8 ppg/6.6 rpg.

PF Clent Foust – SO – 69 OVR – 6'8” 73 orb/79 drb, not good enough to compete with us. 79 post offense, which is solid. 68 post defense, which is terrible. 84 close/80 in traffic. 12.9 ppg.

C Levi Lloyd – SO – 71 OVR – 6'7”, a natural PF, severely undersized. 71 orb/84 drb. 71 post offense/69 defense. A decent shot blocker(74). 83 close/85 in traffic. B+ strength for a PF, 77... 8.4 ppg/5.5 rpg. We'll destroy this guy.

These are their only big men rated above 55. We'll be simming this one out at halftime too I believe. And i'm not really convinced it would be different if their 71 rated PG was starting :P
Half
Time
OHIO
TOL
Notes
15:15
Wendell House 11, Toledo 2. House has 2 3's and all 11 of our points. Timeout Toledo.
13:50
House has 14, Cooper 2. Toledo 4. Backups are in.
8:30
They've picked up the scoring quite a bit, we're still winning and should win easily but they're not going to let us run them out of the building it appears.
6:10
Starters are back in for the duration of the half. Mendoza was great for the backups, hitting 3 3's and scoring 10.

HALF
I really wanted to put these guys away, and holy crap did we play well enough on offense to do so, but the defense just wasn't there after the 14 minute mark or so.

So House was his usual aggressive self, attacking the rim hard and scoring 3 or 4 dunks, getting to the line, but today his 3 point stroke is perfect to go along with that. He's 9-12 from the field, including 5-6 from 3. 2-3 from the line as well and he has 25 points at halftime. Mendoza has 10, 3-5 from 3. Murphy, Cooper and Grundy have all contributed 5 points as well.

We've committed more fouls than them and they are 7-9 from the line, likely that is keeping Toledo in the game.
13:40
I can't get anything at all from anyone but House. Murphy and Cooper both miss open jumpers, Bright is blocked inside twice, just not good. They hit 3's on two straight possessions and all of a sudden its a 4 point game instead of 10. I call a timeout and go ahead and bring the backups in.
Grundy takes over the game and secures our double digit lead again. They really cannot stop someone this size with a 6'8” PF and 6'7” center.
8:01
Mendoza with a 3, Grundy with a little hook 4 feet or so away from the basket. Another Toledo timeout, it would seem their chance has slipped away.
6:45
Starters are coming back in to finish the job.

House takes over once again after the starters come back in, he runs off 8 more points in a row and really just had a legendary game today, one I've never had with any individual player before.

Ohio 102
Toledo 75

Murphy: 11 points/7 assists
Cooper: 7 points
House: 47 points (17-26 FG, 7-13 3 pointers, 6-8 FT)
Bright: 0 points/10 boards
Watson: 2 points/9 boards

Grundy: 16 points
Mendoza: 13 points

Grundy was awesome off the bench, 7-11 and a couple free throws. I'll admit I forced a couple shots in the final 5 minutes or so for House once he got 40, to see if I could get him up to 50... but the 40 was pretty much entirely in the flow of the game. He just got by his man, got to the basket, and scored every time he wanted to. 7-13 from 3 is ridiculous.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:15 AM   #412
Radii
Head Coach

We remain #1 in the mid-major poll. Utah State loses again, and has now lost 2 in a row going into their showdown with Nevada out in the WAC. Nevada #2, Utah State #3. None of us are ranked in the media or coaches poll now though.

We're now at the halfway point of the conference schedule. Here's how we look:

1. Ohio 8-0
2. Akron 6-2
3. N. Illinois 5-3
4. Miami OH 5-3
5. Kent State 5-3
6. Ball State 4-4
7. Toledo 4-4
8. Buffalo 4-4
9. E. Michigan 3-5
10. C. Michigan 2-6
11. Bowling Green 2-6
12. W. Michigan 0-8

The top 6 teams all have winning records overall. We're 16-4, Northern Illinois is 16-4. Akron is 14-5. The others are just 1 or 2 games over .500.

I planned on being asleep about 3 hours ago heh. I just kept blowing out all these teams and the "one more game" factor took hold, even though a full game takes an hour to play. I am *really* excited about finishing off this season and seeing where we can go. I don't think we'll go undefeated in conference play or anything. Road games at N. Illinois and Ball State, home games vs Akron and Miami OH, plus the possibility that we blow a stupid simmed game against Eastern Michigan or something.

But if we don't win the MAC tournament this year the season will be a failure, no question. And hopefully we're positioning ourselves for an 11 seed, or heaven forbid, a 10 or a 9 seed against a team that we're capable of beating. That's looking a long ways ahead though Lets see how long we can keep this unbeaten streak going, and if we can finally break into the top 25 tomorrow or Sunday.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:23 AM   #413
TonyR
High School Varsity

I'm following along too Radii. Good job with the team this season.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:25 PM   #414
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Love reading this... making me consider, once again, finding a way to get my Xbox 360 down here.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:36 PM   #415
hoopsguy
General Manager

Keep it going, Radii. Hope the fans are enjoying your work this year. I'm guessing you will not be in Ohio much longer if you finish the season with the form you are showing lately.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:53 PM   #416
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
I'm guessing you will not be in Ohio much longer if you finish the season with the form you are showing lately.

I am definitely ready to accept almost any power conference job that were to open up. I would most likely take a job in one of the 'large' conferences as well, A-10 or Mountain West or whatever. My coach is nowhere near the level of most of the coaches in the higher level leagues though, which is partially why I'm itching so badly to get into the top 25, hoping that I don't choke in the MAC tourney and clean up a Coach of the year award finally, etc.

Roy Williams has not yet retired in my game, the only thing that could keep me from making the jump is if it appeared like I had a legit shot at getting the UNC job when Roy retires. Right now I'm guessing the odds of that are around 0% though.

Thanks for the comments all, such a great game
Old 03-29-2009, 12:12 AM   #417
Radii
Head Coach

Interesting note, Cooper has the star icon, the first time any of my players have gotten that designation. I'm not sure which ratings combine for it, and its not from his base roster attributes, its coming only after the confidence boost in game.

February 4th, 2015

Kent State (10-8, 5-3 MAC) at Ohio (16-4, 8-0 MAC)

Kent State is decent looking, 78 OVR (78 off/78 def/83 sht/85 reb). They have the same starting 5 as last season, though the last time we played them their best player(Montgomery, their SF) was hurt. We beat them by 29 in the MAC Quarterfinals last season. Note that they start 4 sophomores, very young, but they all have 2 years of experience starting by now.

Scouting

PG R. Parsons – SO – 69 OVR – 85 speed but only 78 quickness. Outstanding defender(88), not a steals guy so that's good. 77 close/74 med/71 3, not great but can't leave him open. 81 off the dribble. 6.9 ppg. Average ball handler/passer for a PG.

SG Theodore Holland – SO – 72 OVR – A 3 point shooting specialist, rated 84 from behind the arc. He doesn't look to do much else. 81 defense, which is improved over last year. 7.2 ppg.

SF :Logan Montgomery – SR – 79 OVR – 82 speed/82 quickness, good for a SF. 81 vertical/80 hustle, both exceptional. 77 defensive awareness, almost unheard of for this level. Good defense for a SF(81), 86 close/74 med/79 3, 78 off the dribble, 89 in traffic. This guy looks excetionally good. 12.7 ppg. He looks to have a highest tendency towards 3 point shooting.

PF Herman Bro – JR – 72 OVR – 6'9”, poor rebounder (76 o/71 d). Average on the blocks (75 post offense/73 post defense). 91 close range and 79 in traffic. 8.3 ppg this year.

C Roburt Maye – SO – 69 OVR – 7'1”, a good defensive rebounder(84) but terrible on the offensive glass(71). 68 post offense/76 post d. 85 close/83 in traffic. He's improved in close quite a bit, and with B- potential will continue to improve into a solid player. 9.4 ppg/5.4 rpg, he's up almost 2 points/game over last year.

They go 8 deep with guys rated 60+ (all of them 66+ actually. Just one backup in the post. Last year their SG, holland hurt us the most. Between Holland and Montgomery I'm worried about getting killed from behind the arc.

Half
Time
OHIO
KSU
Notes
12:05
Cooper and House... 10 for Cooper, 9 for House. Bright has the other 2. Their SG, Holland has 7. We've only drawn 2 fouls but both happen to be on their star SF, Montgomery. The 2nd came at the 13:30 mark, he's sitting. Backups are in.
8:30
The defense picks up with the backups once again, and after a couple fast break baskets put us up 10, Kent State calls a timeout.
They get it back down to 6 as we struggle to score and they execute well on a few trips in a row. Starters are back in.

HALF
They cut it to 1, 31-30 before we score 6 straight. They close the half with a 3 and its 37-33 going into the locker room. There's a FT discrepency again today as they're shooting a lot of jump shots. We have 6 fouls, they have 7, but we've shot 11 free throws to their 1.

Holland leads them with 7, didn't score in the final 10 minutes. Montgomery only has 2, but he sat after 6 ½ minutes. They shoot 45% for the half, 4-10 from 3.

We're only shooting 40% but are 8-11 at the line, and are actually 50% from three, 5-10. Cooper scores 16, House is stuck at 9(no points in the final 6 minutes). Grundy and Lamkin lead the backups with 4 each. We would like to get to the rim more in the 2nd half, which is how we generally increase our shooting %.
19:35
Montgomery fouls Cooper in the lane after Cooper ran his man off a screen on a set play and got the ball going to the hoop. He sits with 3 fouls.
16:10
We trail for the first time since the first 2-3 minutes of the game. We're struggling to score, Murphy and Cooper both missing open shots, House unable to get to the rim, and Watson blocked rather embarrassingly inside. We call a timeout.
13:45
House just turned it over to give it back to Kent State with a 7 point lead. I get the backups in to try to do something different.
They hit 2 3's and a layup, while we get a 3 from Lamkin. They're on a 25-9 run in the second half so far. Timeout Ohio.
8:40
We run off a quick 5 points after our last timeout, but they get 4 straight to make it 11 again, 62-51. We struggle and struggle, finally get a basket to cut it to 9, and I call for my starters. About 5 seconds after I call for the starters to come back, we get a steal, Mendoza gets a fast break basket and draws a foul, 62-55. The starters except Murphy get back out there. Mendoza misses the FT, Watson boards it and puts it back in. 62-57!
7:20
They score to make it a 7 point game and we get another 4 point play... Watson fouled as he scores inside, misses the FT, House with the board and putback. We had a chance for more, as Bright steals the inbounds pass. We work it around in our offense, but Bright ends up losing it out of bounds as he's trying to post up his man. We still have the lead down to 3 though.
7:10
They call a timeout, I get my backups in for a minute or two more to make sure the starters can go the distance.
5:40
Kent State scores 6 quickly against our backups, I call a timeout and get the starters back in. Dammit!
4:05
A couple solid defensive trips and buckets from Cooper and Murphy cut the lead back down to 5.
2:50
House only has 4 points this half, but the last two were clutch, driving into their center and hitting a tough contested shot(I thought he was taking it up for a dunk and/or foul, good defense). Watson hits two Fts as well. Their ball, 3 point game.
1:40
We give up an easy basket to Montgomery, get an easy basket from Cooper... with a stop by each in between. their ball, 1:40 left, timeout Kent State.
0:48
We force a 5 second closely guarded call on Montgomery, something that almost never happens. We fail to score on our end, but get a stop on a blocked shot, which gives us a 6th man bonus, House with an awesome crossover in transition for a huge dunk. We trail by 1, 13 second difference between game and shot clocks. No fouling here, not on purpose at least.
0:27
SO unclutch. We get a rebound after a missed shot by Bro, Cooper tries to go one on one and falls over, losing the ball. First and only time this game that happened. We have to foul now.

Oh my god...I cannot believe this just happened. They miss the front end of a 1 and 1, and we're on the run. Cooper gets around his man and scores easily. We lead 75-74 with 17 seconds to go. We play tight defense, they run a play that gets their big men out of the lane,and with 4 seconds left or so their PF, Herman Bro, takes a 3 point shot. Its no good but we're all out of position and our big men are out guarding their guys on the perimeter. Their PG, Parsons snags the rebound. He goes back up and is hammered by House. With 0.8 seconds left on the clock. I pray for a miss, but he makes both his free throws. I throw the inbounds pass out to House around midcourt, he gets a heave off but it is off the side of the rim and no good.

I didn't expect to go undefeated in conference play, but I sure didn't expect this loss at home. Damn.

Kent State 76
Ohio 75

Their SG, Holland, scored 18 and was a solid consistent scorer throughout. Their hero at the end, Parsons, scored 13. The ended up getting their FG % up over 50% for the game, while ours hovered closer to 40%. We went 25-58 for the game, and after going 5-10 from 3 in the first half, we are 2-13 in the 2nd half, finishing up 7-23.

Murphy: 4 points (1-7 FG/0-5 3, we needed him more than this today)
Cooper: 24 points/3 steals
House: 15 points/4 boards/3 assists (disappeared a bit in the 2nd half).
Bright: 2 points/4 boards
Watson: 8 points/6 boards

Mendoza: 7 points
Lamkin: 7 points
Grundy: 6 points

I'm completely stunned that we lost this game. DAMN! I really thought we were unbeatable at home against anyone in the conference.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:17 AM   #418
Radii
Head Coach

Every time we've lost this year, we've lost 2 in a row. Here's hoping we don't choke in our simmed game. hahah, ok, wow.

Feb 8, 2015

at Ohio 108
Bowling Green 63

I think that counts as "not choking." Bowling Green is 8-14, 2-6(now 2-7 actually) in conference play, rated 74 OVR, one of the worst in the conference.

House puts up a huge 27, while Cooper plays 10 minutes with 4 fouls and is scoreless. Mendoza 16, Watson, Lufkin and Grundy all 3 have 13.

Going into the week of Feb 9, there are still no ranked mid-majors.

In the mid-major poll, Kent State is now 23rd, boosted by their victory over us. Akron is #12. Northern illinois is #8. Hofstra, who we have beaten this year, is #7. San Diego, who we have beaten this year, is #2. Nevada beats Utah State and jumps up to #1(they're 20-2). Ohio is #3 in the mid-major poll.

With Hofstra, San Diego, and Akron, we have 3 wins against top 12 mid-major teams. Our next game gives us another chance at a quality win, as we host #8 Northern Illinois.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:24 AM   #419
Radii
Head Coach

February 11th, 2015

Ohio (17-5, 9-1 MAC) at Northern Illinois (18-4, 7-3 MAC)

Kent State, Northern Illinois and Miami OH are all tied at 7-3 in the MAC for 2nd place behind our 9-1 showing so far. We're definitely no longer a lock to win the MAC with games against NIU, Miami, Akron and Ball State all still to go. We can help our cause quite a bit by winning today.

NIU is rated 78 OVR (77 off/77 def/78 sht/88 reb). Overall they stack up a lot differently than Kent State, much poorer shooting but good rebounding at a team level. Also, I can't help but notice that they're now 18-4 overall, a better record than us. Our RPI is now #32, theirs is #53. Big big game here, and its on the road so we'd best be ready.

We haven't played a game vs these guys since the conference tournament 2 years ago.

Scouting

PG FR Simplice Butt – JR – 77 OVR – 91 speed/84 quickness, yikes. 83 defense, 74 steals, not great but very good. 88 handling/76 passing. 80 close/73 med/84 3, 82 off the dribble/76 in traffic. He can score in all kinds of ways. 81 offensive awareness is outstanding, while 66 on defense is ok at best. 11.9 ppg, just behind Floyd.

SG Tom Hanaven – JR – 73 OVR – 86 speed/87 quickness, that quickness is more than we're used to and could be scary. 83 defense/76 steals, again not incredible but very good. 87 close/73 med/67 3. 79 off the dribble/76 in traffic. 10.5 ppg/3.5 apg.

SF Trace Roberts – SO – 69 OVR – 6'7” and a very good rebounder, 69 drb. 75 defense is horrible and hopefully House can exploit. 86 close/70 med/56 3, so he won't be taking any 3s. 5.3 ppg/4.5 rpg.

PF Erick Floyd – JR – 78 OVR – 6'7”, very very solid. 79 post offense/76 post defense. 74 blocked shot rating, not bad for a small PF. 72 steals, great for a forward. 83 orb/83 drb, also great. 91 close/85 in traffic. 78 speed/78 quickness/74 vert/72 str. All of those numbers are A- or B ratings for a PF. Averaging 12.7 ppg and 6.7 rpg.

C Jared McDaniel – SR – 74 OVR – 7 feet tall and solid in the post. 82 post offense/82 post defense. 85 close/83 in traffic, strong(77) and great hustle(85). He's a poor rebounder though (74 o/76 d). Exceptional awareness, 74 offense/77 defense. 11.9 ppg/4.6 rpg.

Their top 4 players are all solid scorers and solid defenders, a very strong and balanced starting 5. The good news is that their backup PG is rated 64 OVR, all other backups rated 55 and below. They have zero depth. We need to pressure these guys hard and wear them down. We also really need to keep them from getting any big runs and big plays against us. The 6th man factor at their place would be a game changer if it lets their starters stay fresh.

Half
Time
OHIO
NIU
Notes
12:00
They led 2-0, that's their only lead so far, but every time we score a couple baskets, they hit a 3, so its staying close. Backups on the way in.
5:10
This has been a slow paced game where neither team has really been able to do much. Lamkin might be having confidence issues that I didn't notice, this is the first game all year where he doesn't have the fleet foot icon. We get our starters back in up 3, trudging along trying to just stay in the lead and hoping for a spot to go on a little run.
There's a little run, we extend the lead a little by attacking their weaker backups, and Cooper hits a big open 3 to make it a 7 point game.

HALF
We give up the last 4 points of the half and House fumbles away the ball going for a final second basket. 5 point halftime lead. Its been a very even game, they're 13-28, 2-10 from 3 and 3-4 from the line. We're 13-27, 3-8 from 3, and 7-8 from the line. Watson is the only player on either team with 2 fouls.

Their big man, McDaniel leads them with 8. We have 13 from House, 10 from Cooper, no one else with more than 4. Murphy is 1-6 from 3, all wide freaking open. He hit his first and that's it.
18:50
Hahah, they score the first 5 of the half, an open 3 ties the game and they get the 6th man bonus going for the first time, something I really wanted to prevent. The bar is nearly full red as I start running my offense. House gets the ball cleared out on the wing, pump fakes, his man goes in the air, House drives by and flies to the rim for a powerful 2 handed dunk. The crowd quiets and the 6th man drops down to 1 red bar instantly. I've never seen that before, was hilarious, and awesome, just totally deflated their crowd.
17:55
They score 4 straight and take the lead for the first time since 2-0. Another 6th man bonus as they make a free throw for the lead.
16:30
House runs past Roberts, their SF, goes up and makes a layup and Roberts fouls him in the process. The FT is good and we go up 1 again. Roberts has 3 fouls and has to sit, they bring in a PG backup in his place. They only have 2 fouls so far this half, both on Roberts to make him sit. He's their worst starter but anything that further weakens the defense being played on House is good.
They've scored 6 straight, two open 3's. I call a timeout and get our backups into the game.
7:15
We are losing this game on the glass which is just completely unacceptable. We've allowed 4 or 5 second chance baskets this half. We just had the lead down to 4, 62-58 and a bucket, followed by an empty trip for us, followed bya 3 point play on an offensive board has it right back up to 9. I call a timeout.
6:55
Grundy comes up empty inside, commits a foul on the other end and the starters are on the way back in to try to salvage this.
5:20
Cooper just missed a wide open, uncontested layup. I have never seen him do that before.
4:57
They hit a 3 on their end, and I call another timeout. I don't think we can win here. We're going to keep pushing though. House has been my only offense this half. Cooper is still stuck on 10 points and cannot do shit. House has 24 points, 11 this half. Murphy, Bright and Watson remain scoreless. House literally has every single point that the starters have contributed this half. Awful.
4:27
Watson is blocked going up for a shot, they come down and get another 3 point play. I'm completely lost here.

I resist the urge to turn off the xbox(by throwing it out the window) about 4 times in the final 4 minutes. Really this was just an intense as hell game for most of the 2nd half and then we just fell apart in every possible way. We started hitting a couple 3's and it seemed like maybe we could make a run, but their worst player, Roberts, hits two clutch 3's. House gets called for a charge driving. Cooper misses an open layup. Cooper is blocked one on one going to the basket. Just every possible thing that could go wrong did.

I can't say I'm terribly surprised to lose this one, and if it was my first conference loss it'd be cool, but coming on the heels of the Kent State loss it feels like we are now under quite a bit of pressure to stay on top and not choke away our success this season.

N. Illinois 87
Ohio 70

They outscore us 56-34 in the 2nd half.

McDaniel with 22 points/10 boards, one of the very very few times we've gotten owned by an opposing big man in the last two seasons. SG Hanavan with 21 points, Butt with 13. Just a great game by them to get an important win at home.

Murphy: 6 points (2-8, all from 3)
Cooper: 15 points (only 5 in the 2nd half)
house: 26 points
Bright: 0 points/8 boards
Watson: 0 points/7 boards

Lufkin: 9 points

Bright and Watson were totally outclassed today. A combined 0-9, didn't get to the line a single time. NIU with 9 offensive boards and 14 second chance points. They outrebounded us 33-26.

We've still got a 1 game lead over the rest of the conference.. for now.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:44 AM   #420
Radii
Head Coach

We sim a key home game against Akron and complete the season sweep:

Feb 14, 2015

at Ohio 57
Akron 41

House leads us with 14, Bright with 13. No one else scores more than 6. We take a 35-16 lead in the first half and just slow it down the rest of the way apparently. Ugly game!

Northern Illinois totally wastes their win over us, losing a home game to Kent State to end the week. Here's the top of the current mid-major poll:

1. Nevada (22-2)
2. Ohio (18-6)
3. Utah State (21-5)
4. San Diego (20-7)
5. North Texas (19-4)
6. Hofstra (19-7)
7. Pepperdine (18-8)
8. N. Illinois (19-5)
9. VCU (19-8)
10. Gonzaga (18-7)
14. Akron (15-8)
20. Kent State (14-8)

I love seeing 4 MAC teams up on this list. After a few seasons where the MAC was rated below a couple of the "small" conferences, its very rewarding to see the improvement. The MAC is currently the #11 conference in the country. That's ahead of a "major" conference, C-USA, and only behind the WAC(#10) and WCC (#8) as far as mid-majors go.

Also, I check out Bracketology which I think is just out for the first time this week. We are projected as an 8 seed!!! We can't afford to go losing a lot more games or anything, but if we can finish strong we appear to have a solid lock on an at large bid. Northern Illinois is one of the many midm-majors currently filling up the bubble watch. Hofstra and San Diego both are as well.

And lastly, with 4 games remaining, the MAC Standings:

1. Ohio 10-2
2. Kent State 9-3
3. N. Illinois 8-4
4. Miami OH 8-4
5. Akron 7-5
6. Toledo 7-5
7. Ball State 6-6
8. Buffalo 4-8
9. Bowling Green 4-8
10. E. Michigan 4-8
11. C. Michigan 4-8
12. W. MIchigan 1-11

its a bad year to be a directional Michigan school.

Our final four games:

at E. Michigan
vs Miami OH
at Ball State
at C. Michigan

we'll be simming the 1st and 4th, playing the 2nd and 3rd. In fact, lets sim the 1st now:

Feb 17,2015

Ohio 80
at E. Michigan 76

House with 21, Mendoza 13, Lamkin 12. Cooper shoots 2-11 and scores 6 points.

That was our only game for the week of the 16th. On to the week of the 23rd:

Mid-Major Poll:

1. Nevada
2. Ohio
3. San Diego
4. Utah State
5. Pepperdine
8. N. Illinois
19. Akron
23. Kent State

Akron and Kent State both lose this week. We have a 2 game lead in the loss column of the conference standings again.

We fall to a 9 seed in bracketology. Hah! In this weeks pairings we'd play San Diego. Northern Illinois is actually slated as an 11 seed. Go go at large bids from the MAC!

Whew, ok, that was a lot of crap in this writeup. Back to the games. We host Miami OH this week. We beat them on the road earlier in the year, lets finish them off.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:04 AM   #421
Radii
Head Coach

I use 4 pep talks. If I was having trouble with someone I might use less, but I've still got 7 left and I want my guys in top form. Murphy, Mendoza, Lamkin and Keller all 4 were in the 75% range for confidence. Not bad at all but as I said, I want top form. I talk to each one of them and have 3 left that I can use during the MAC Tourney if I want. The worst we've got now is 83% from a couple backups, we're in good shape.

February 28th, 2015

Miami (OH) (15-11, 8-5 MAC) at Ohio (19-6, 11-2 MAC)

Miami OH is rated 79 OVR now (80 off/78 def/79 sht/86 reb). With some more development gains we are now rated 84 OVR (82 off/83 def/86 sht/92 reb). There is one change to their lineup from the first time we met. Their starting PF, Jarrett McCleod(rated 75 OVR) is out. He's replaced by a not quite as good but reasonably talented center.

Scouting

PG Amir Bridges – SR – 74 OVR – 92 speed/80 quickness, 80 defense(decent but not great). 88 handles/86 passing, B-/B ratings, both far superior to anything I've got. 81 close/73 med/69 3, 78 off the dribble. 77 steals. Only 63 defensive awareness which might hurt him a bit. 6.9 ppg. Bridges is a transfer player from Saint Mary's, this is his first year at Miami OH.

SG Brian Crandle – JR – 79 OVR – 89 speed/90 quickness, 84 defense, 80 steals. Cooper is in for another long day it would appear. 83 close/76 med/73 3. 82 in traffic/75 off the dribble. Crandle is 6'7” and a good rebounder for a guard. He's only averaging 7.0 ppg so far this year, 4.5 rebounds/3 assists.

SF Roosevelt Hess – JR – 71 OVR – 6'7” natural SF. 85 close/77 med/71 from 3, entirely an offensive threat. 77 off the dribble/83 in traffic, both decent but not great numbers. Not strong at all(58), decent vertical/hustle. He's an awful defender(74) and is slow. If they go man to man House should destroy him. 6.9 ppg.

PF Juan Pablo Clayton – SR – 71 OVR - 6'11”, a natural center. 88 orb, but only 75 drb. 75 post offense and defense. 80 close/81 in traffic. 82 strength, A- rating for a center, extremely strong for a PF. Not a bad option given that the starter is hurt.

C Rylan Gabler – JR – 72 OVR – 6'11”, 85 post offense/90 close/83 in traffic, 77 strength which is good for a B+ rating, looks like a solid offensive threat. 80 blocked shot rating, 78 post defense is pretty good too. 76/77 on the boards off/def, a weak spot for sure. 14.9 ppg/4.1 rpg.

We won fairly easily the first time we played. Bridges(14), Crandle(20), and Hess(13) were their big threats against us. Cooper scored 26 in the first meeting.

Half
Time
OHIO
MIA
Notes
15:50
WOW. What a start. House with 8 of our first 10, a 3 point play, a transition dunk and a 3. House has 12, Cooper 5, Watson 2. We're running out on rebounds, have a couple steals and blocks. We are 7-8 from the field, 2-3 from 3. Timeout Miami obviously.
13:55
Timeout #2 by Miami. Their last 3 points were on a bullshit foul where they gave them free throws on a reach in. Made one, missed one/offensive board/putback.
Ah well they just woke up. Bridges with 5, Hess with 10 so far. House has 15 for us, and our backups come in.
We're back to playing good defense again, and Miami uses their 3rd timeout.
5:45
Ugh, we go up 41-20 and look to run away with it again, but they score 9 straight to make it a game again. Starters are back in.

HALF
Another run, and our runs have been much better than theirs this game. We end the half on a 19-4 run and are killing them. For Miami OH Hess has 10, Bridges 7, almost no more points than they had 7 minutes in. We're shooting 20-33 from the field, 5-11 from 3.

Cooper has 18, House has 17, the two of them have outscored Miami OH by themselves. Assuming they don't start the 2nd half on a crazy run we're just looking to put them away and sim this out farily quickly.
18:50
Of course. 6-0 Miami run to start the half. I call a timeout.
15:15
We push it up to 26 or 27 again, they cut it back down. Its a timeout now for Miami with the lead at 24. House is making open 3's again today which is just deadly, given how strong he is driving to the hoop.
12:15
I call a timeout to get my backups in. Its entirely House and Cooper still. House with 28, Cooper 21.
10:00
Another run by Miami but its still a 20 point game. I just don't feel like this is 100% in the bag yet so I'm still playing. They call a timeout.
8:15
Um... they drain 3 pointers on 3 straight trips while all we can come up with is a mid-range jumper. Its a 13 point game WTF! I call a timeout.
5:55
We start to take a little more time on offense, and get Grundy and Keller more involved, which helps as we extend the lead and are up 15 as the starters come back in to finish things off.
3:15
We've scored our last two times down, they've scored 3's their last 2 times down, giving them the edge. Lead is down to 11, but they're running out of time.
Ok, there we go.

We run out the clock from there.

Ohio 101
Miami OH 88

Crazy, crazy game. We were really well ahead the entire way but I never felt safe enough to sim to the end like I often do with a big lead. We won the first half 60-33. They won the 2nd half 55-41.

Bridges and Hess were big for them this time around too, 17 points for each, but their center, Gabler, was their leading scorer with 20 points. They destroyed us on the boards, 37-27, very unusual for us. But we shot so well, forced turnovers, drew fouls... that it didn't matter.

Murphy: 7 points/5 assists/6 steals (1-6 from 3...)
Cooper: 26 points
House: 33 points
Bright: 4 points/3 boards
Watson: 4 points/11 boards

Grundy: 8 points
Lufkin: 6 points
Lamkin: 6 points

Bright is really fading away at the end of the year here. Very ineffective.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:12 AM   #422
Radii
Head Coach

heh, the coaches love Utah State. They jump back into the coaches top 25 poll. No mid-major team has made it into the media poll yet, and Nevada has been better than Utah State for the last 5-6 weeks and gets no love.

Mid Major Poll:

1. Nevada
2. Ohio
3. San Diego
4. Utah State
5. Hofstra
8. N. Illinois
16. Akron
25. Kent State

whoa. Northern Illinois has lost 3 out of their last 4 since beating us. Kent State has lost 3 in a row since beating N. Illinois.

We have 2 conference losses. With these other teams falling apart around us, we have clinched the MAC Regular Season title. A lot of teams have 6 conference losses to tie for 2nd, far behind us.

We're now up to #25 in the RPI. The latest bracketology projects us out as a 7 seed!!

Our next game is a road contest at Ball State, who is now rated 83 OVR as a team with some development, and yet has managed to go 7-7 in conference play. I'm still very worried about this game. Our final game we'll sim at a bad Central Michigan team. I'm sure we'll pull off a huge win over Ball State and lose the simmed game to Central Michigan

Anyway, we'll play this out tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:43 PM   #423
Radii
Head Coach

March 3rd, 2015

Ohio (20-6, 12-2 MAC) at Ball State (14-12, 7-7 MAC)

Ball State is rated 83 OVR now (82 off/82 def/84 sht/83 reb). They ran a 3-2 zone that we just ate up last time we played, leading by 27 at the half and simming the final 15 minutes or so.

Scouting

PG Rod Rowe – JR – 74 OVR – 86 speed/84 quickness. Above average handling and passing (88/81). 84 defense, quite good, and 81 steals, outstanding. 84 close/84 med/67 3. 84 off the dribble/77 in traffic. Looks like a very dangerous player on both ends of the floor. 10.2 ppg,

SG Gary Edelin – JR – 82 OVR – Edelin is a JC transfer so this is his second year. 88 speed/87 quickness, 83 defense, 87 steals(A-, very very good). 83 close/84 med/84 3. 84 off the dribble, an outstanding shooter and can create his own shot. He's only averaging 9.1 ppg so far this year. I noticed last year his shot tendencies are very low. I'm not sure if they develop, but only the “drive” tendency seems noteworthy at all.

SF Fab Minoff – FR – 76 OVR – 6'9” - 81 defense, good for a SF, a solid post defender. 84 close/81 med/64 3(thank goodness). 82 in traffic and a decent dunker. Solid athletic skills, B- vert/B- str, B- hustle. 5.9 ppg/4.3 rpg, which is lower than last year and a bit of a surprise.

PF Herman Wheeler – SO – 70 OVR – Not terribly experienced, average/above average most everywhere on defense. 78/83 on the boards(off/def). 77 post offense/72 defense. Good hustle/vertical/strength so he loks like a pretty good athlete. Only a 76 close range shot/85 in traffic. He doesn't seem like a scoring threat. Not a shot blocker either. 5.3 ppg/5 rpg

C Russell Kapono – JR – 80 OVR – 7 feet tall with some talent, very scary. 81 on the boards(both off and def), 91post offense, 78 post defense. 92in close/85 in traffic, and he's a good dunker. Strength is 91, average shot blocker... an absolute monster inside. He leads the team with 20.1 ppg so far this year. This is well up from a 15 point average last season.

Edelin and Kapono are our two biggest worries going into this one.

Half
Time
OHIO
BSU
Notes
16:50
Their PG, Row, has 7, Edelin has a 3 and they have a 10-2 lead very early. Our open looks aren't going down from outside, I call a timeout and will try harder to drive to the hoop.
12:50
Backups are in. We fell behind 12-2 and have picked it up a little since then. Cooper leads us with 5 so far.
We had fallen behind 22-11 and once again were able to turn it on, Mendoza scored 6 in a row which helped quite a bit, we're on a little 4-0 run now and Ball State calls a timeout.
Mendoza leads us with 9, and Grundy just drew foul #2 on Kapono and earned himself a 3 point play. Starters are back in.
1:55
Another Ball State timeout, they had gone up 6 but we just ran off 4 straight, we haven't been able to get back into the lead but we're keeping it close.

HALF
They're shooting 60%, we're shooting 40%. We're staying close from the line, where we are 11-12 after having drawn 8 fouls in the half. Ball State is 6-9, also drawing 8 fouls on us.

Their PG Rowe scores 11, PF Wheeler 9, SF Minoff 8. The 3 combine for 12-14 from the floor. House and Mendoza both have 9 for us. Cooper 5, Bright and Watson 4 each.

Both teams have foul problems. Ball State has 2 fouls on Rowe and 2 on Kapono(starting PG and Center). We have 2 fouls on Murphy and House, and Watson picked up his 3rd foul late in the half. I'm starting Grundy at center this half. Keller and Watson will be our bench big men.
Cooper with 2 3's and a layup to put us in the lead for the first time since 2-0!
12:45
Backups are in. We have only committed 3 fouls so far this half, but all 3 have been on Bright, so he's got 3 now. We haven't drawn any significant fouls on them so far as far as the earlier foul trouble went.
8:55
Their backup SF, Massey, has hit 3 3's in a row for them after we'd had the lead down to 2. Only a Keller bucket inside keeps it from being a 9-0 run. Lufkin doesn't seem to have any interest in staying within 10 feet of him even with tight defense set. Timeout Ohio.
Another timeout for us. We go on a 6-1 run and cut it down to 2, they get 4 straight, including a dunk that gets the 6th man going after a turnover by Mendoza. With all the timeouts the starters are at 100%. I bring them back in(grundy isntead of watson at center)
3:45
Cooper does the bulk of the work with a 3 and a layup in tranisition, House adds a tomahawk jam, we had it down to 1 but couldn't score our last trip down to take the lead. 3 point game, we just need to not let them run back up by 10 again and we can take it down to the wire.
3:15
House for 3! Tie game. Timeout Ball State. House and Cooper are both right around 20 on the day.
2:55
House forces the steal on a bad pass, gets the ball in transition and dunks it home to give us the lead! Another ball state timeout.
2:40
Oh my dear lord. Bright with a foul allowing a 3 point play opportunity. They miss the FT and get the offensive board. Kapono goes up for a dunk and is fouled by Grundy for another 3 point play opportunity. They miss the free throw, get the offensive board and put it back in. 6 points in about 4 seconds. I call a timeout, as it should not come as a surprise to learn that this gets Ball State's crowd just slightly worked up.
1:40
Kapono scores on their end and House begins to take over for us, hitting an open 3 our next time down, getting a rebound on the defensive end, making the outlet pass, setting up quickly and blowing by his man for a dunk, 5 straight for House and the lead is back down to 1.
1:10
House triggers our next trip with another defensive rebound, feeding Cooper who kicks it forward to a streaking Grundy for a dunk!! We're up 1, 1:10 to go. Kapono took a 20 foot jumper there, so Grundy was out near the 3 point line to get out on the break, and he's pretty damn fast for a big man. He was actually up ahead of cooper, not a secondary break type play.
0:46
They work the ball into SF Minoff who gets a little hook shot near the basket to fall. I call a timeout to back their press off. We're now out of timeouts. Ball State has 1 left.
0:41
Rowe goes for a steal as soon as we get to the top of the key, reaches in. That is their 7th foul, 1 and 1 coming for us (we have 8 fouls or so, more than them this half after that stupid 6 point play) Murphy MISSES the first. We have to foul when they get the board. The foul is our 9th. Edelin makes both Fts for them and we get the ball back down 3.
0:22
House hits a midrange jumper. We foul on the inbounds. Rowe misses the first, makes the second. We trail by 2 with the ball.

I get the ball to house in the middle of their 3-2 defense, he goes up strong but misses and they don't foul. House grabs the board, I kick it back out and do the exact same thing again, Kapono gets the shot block on House and they get the rebound with 4 seconds to go. I foul, they make both, and its over.

I can't complain. I got my most explosive player the ball in a favorable spot twice to try to tie the game. Their defense was up to the task.

Ball State 99
Ohio 95

Not a totally unexpected result, they weren't going to let us run over them in their building. They get outstanding balance. 12 from PG Rowe, 12 from SG Edelin, 14 from SF Minoff, 17 from PF Wheeler, 15 from C Kapono, and 14 from backup SF Massey.

They shot extremely well all game, 40-63, almost 66%. They were 4-10 from 3 and 15-22 from the line.

Ohio countered with a 34-64 performance but was an incredible 12-20 from behind the arc. We were 15-20 from the line, so those numbers ended up equal.

Murphy: 1 point
Cooper: 20 points (4-7 from 3)
House: 26 points/5 boards (3-3 from 3)
Bright: 7 points/5 boards
Watson: 6 points/4 boards/4 assists

Mendoza: 13 points
Lufkin: 9 points
Grundy: 6 points/7 boards

A tough game, cannot complain about this loss at all though, espicially with the conference 1 seed already locked up.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:52 PM   #424
Radii
Head Coach

I sim out our final regular season game:

March 8, 2015
Ohio 94
at C. Michigan 73

Cooper 27, House 24, Murphy 11. We shoot 13-25 from 3. Murphy, Cooper and House combine for 11-16 from 3. Its like the Ball state game except for better defense.

Updated Mid-Major poll going into conference tournament week:

1. Utah State (25-5)
2. Pepperdine (24-8)
3. Nevada (23-5)
4. San Diego (25-8)
5. Ohio (21-7)
12. N. Illinois (21-7)
20. Akron (17-10)

The loss last week drops our RPI to #33. We're projected as an 8 seed now for the big dance. We'd seem to be in good shape but hey lets win the conference tourney so we don't have to worry.

Final MAC Standings

1. Ohio 13-3
2. N. Illinois 10-6
3. Miami OH 10-6
4. Akron 9-7
5. Ball State 9-7
6. Kent State 9-7
7. Toledo 9-7
8. Bowling Green 7-9
9. Buffalo 6-10
10. C. Michigan 5-11
11. E. Michigan 5-11
12. W. Michigan 4-12

We'll get the winner of Bowling Green and Buffalo in the quarterfinals. Assuming we win that, we would likely face Akron or Ball State.

MAC First Round

9. Buffalo 83
8. Bowling Green 67

5. Ball State 72
12. W. Michigan 58

6. Kent State 72
11. E. Michigan 55

7. Toledo 89
10. C. Michigan 63

MAC Quarterfinals

1. Ohio
9. Buffalo

4. Akron
5. Ball State

3. Miami OH
6. Kent State

2. N. Illinois
7. Toledo

Staying up late the last couple nights plus work being very heavy last week and light or nonexistent tomorrow plus the high from the Carolina win means that I'll almost certainly be up extremely late again tonight, so we're definitely playing our next game, how much more past that we'll see
Old 03-30-2009, 12:27 AM   #425
Radii
Head Coach

March 12th, 2015 – MAC Quarterfinals

(1) Ohio (21-7, 13-3 MAC) vs (9) Buffalo (12-17, 6-10 MAC)

Buffalo's best player, their starting SF, is still out, he had a 300+ day injury. Without him earlier in the year we beat Buffalo112-66. Hopefully we put them away quickly again. Buffalo is rated very poorly, 74 OVR (75 off/73 def/78 sht/80 reb).

Scouting

PG Clark Clement – SR – 74 OVR – 92 speed but 77 quickness. Very good passer, good defender (86). 85 close/69 med/74 3, not great but he'll make shots if open. 9.2 ppg/5.3 apg. 2nd team All-MAC last year.

SG Derwin Sherrod – SO – 70 OVR – Average everywhere. 82 close/73 med/73 3, just 76 off the dribble,don't leave him open but he isn't going to kill me. 80 defense is average, maybe a bit above, but Cooper should do fine anyway. 87 speed/74 quickness. 8.4 ppg.

SF Donovan Becker – SO – 66 OVR – A natural PF, stuck here b/c of an injury to their starter. He's awful. 64 on ball defense, 70 speed, 82 close/68 med/59 3. 79 in traffic. Average vertical and hustle. If they play a man to man defense House might score 40. I'm not exaggerating.

PF Elton Falls – JR – 79 OVR – 6'9”, Average on the boards (80 o/80 d), great in the post (85 o/88 d), and a solid scorer. 91 close/87 in traffic, can step out and shoot too, 77 med/71 3. He's a good leaper and is strong for a PF(79 str/B+). 18.2 ppg/7.4 rpg are outstanding.

C JJ Arnold – SO – 73 OVR – badly undersized, 6'7” 235 lbs. Average rebounder (76 o/83 d). Good post offense (83) but horrific post defense(67). 84 close/77 in traffic. 9.0 ppg/7.9 rpg. His rebound totals shock me.
Half
Time
OHIO
BUF
Notes
Well then. Lets play some defense fellas. House with 8, Murphy 3, Cooper 2. Backups are in as we've let them run wild around the basket.
10:25
Timeout Buffalo. They are on fire, 12-18 from the floor in what has been a very fast paced game. We're 10-17, neither team has shot a free throw yet, just 1 foul total.
Things slow down a bit, Buffalo decides to use another timeout as the lead is just 1 now.
6:40
They hit a quick 3 after the timeout... our starters come back in the next time the clock stops.

HALF
We tied it up at 35 and they pulled back up by 6 to finish out the half. We're struglging a bit with their press, giving up 3 turnovers near half court leading to easy baskets. They're shooting 21-38. Clement has 8, Sherrod 10, and SF Becker 8. C Arnold has 8 as well... good numbers all over for their starters.

We've got 15 from House, 6 from Cooper and 8 from Lufkin off the bench. I need to get Cooper more involved and take better shots with House(he's 6-12, he got hot early and I forced him a bit as a result)
Crazy fast pace to start the 2nd half again. We get a good number of breaks off missed shots, they get a good number of breaks picking our pockets well out past the 3 point line. They're playing very tight man to man defense and its causing big problems. They're also getting a lot of easy baskets as their guards cut to the basket. Backups are in.
10:30
For the first time in the game, we play some defense. Grundy gets the crowd going with a block inside and we are on a 6-0 run. We actually had it down to 59-58 when that 6th man bonus happened, and we've had the ball 3 times since then, it took us 3 trips down to finally get the lead. We've gotten stops on 5 possessions in a row now.
9:40
They score on their end, Grundy gets the 6th man going again on our end, rebounding a Lamkin miss and slamming it down with 1 hand. The backboard and screen shook in a way that House has never been able to accomplish with one of his dunks. That looked like violent strength.
9:15
Lamkin gets a steal, pushes it down the court but pulls it back when the layup doesn't look to be there. He finds Grundy cutting towards the basket for another 1 hand jam. Timeout Buffalo.
We get going real well, Grundy with another basket and a free throw, Lamkin with a layup in traffic, Mendoza with a steal and a feed to Lufkin for a 3 point play opportunity(he missed the FT). I go ahead and bring the starters back, which might be a dumb move in the middle of this run but with the 6th man bonuses coming so much easier in tournament games in 2nd halves, they'll be fine.
They score 5 straight to make it 71-68 before we get going again with the starters, House and Cooper guide us back to a 9 point lead with 4 ½ to go.
2:55
House with 6 straight for us to push our lead up as high as 13. A Buffalo 3 has it back down to 10.

House with a dunk and a 3 pointer on our next two trips and he effortlessly scores our final 11 points to ice the game

Ohio 89
Buffalo 80

Well, Buffalo gave us a hell of a scare. Similar to Ball State last game, they used everyone on their roster well and put up a strong balanced effort. Clement had 13, Sherrod 16, Becker 14, Falls 10, and Arnold 12. We had to work way harder than expected to win this one.

Murphy: 6 points
Cooper: 13 points
House: 32 points
Watson: 7 points/6 boards

Lufkin: 12 points
Keller: 6 points/7 boards
Grundy: 7 points/4 boards
Old 03-30-2009, 12:30 AM   #426
Radii
Head Coach

MAC Quarterfinals

1. Ohio 89
9. Buffalo 80

5. Ball State 66
4. Akron 57

3. Miami OH 74
6. Kent State 70

2. N. Illinois 81
7. Toledo 63

MAC Semifinals

1. Ohio
5. Ball State

2. N. Illinois
3. Miami OH

This is probably how it should go down really. Ball State and Northern Illinois account for 2 of my 3 conference losses, and Miami Ohio is the other most talented team in the league in this group. We have to feel good about a 3rd meeting with Ball State, having blown them out on our floor and barely lost on theirs.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:02 AM   #427
Radii
Head Coach

March 4rd, 2015 – MAC Semifinals

(1) Ohio (22-7, 13-3 MAC) vs (5) Ball State (18-12, 9-7 MAC)

Well, we just played these guys about 3 hours ago. There's been no change to their lineup over the past week in game. Edelin and Kapono are their most talented players, with Rowe, Minoff and Wheeler all very capable.

Their class is updated in this post, the last post up a little ways I copied and pasted in their lineup from last year and modified it, but forgot to update Rowe and Kapono to Seniors and Minoff to a soph.

Scouting

PG Rod Rowe – SR – 74 OVR – 86 speed/84 quickness. Above average handling and passing (88/81). 84 defense, quite good, and 81 steals, outstanding. 84 close/84 med/67 3. 84 off the dribble/77 in traffic. Looks like a very dangerous player on both ends of the floor. 10.2 ppg,

SG Gary Edelin – JR – 82 OVR – Edelin is a JC transfer so this is his second year. 88 speed/87 quickness, 83 defense, 87 steals(A-, very very good). 83 close/84 med/84 3. 84 off the dribble, an outstanding shooter and can create his own shot. He's only averaging 9.1 ppg so far this year. I noticed last year his shot tendencies are very low. I'm not sure if they develop, but only the “drive” tendency seems noteworthy at all.

SF Fab Minoff – SO – 76 OVR – 6'9” - 81 defense, good for a SF, a solid post defender. 84 close/81 med/64 3(thank goodness). 82 in traffic and a decent dunker. Solid athletic skills, B- vert/B- str, B- hustle. 5.9 ppg/4.3 rpg, which is lower than last year and a bit of a surprise.

PF Herman Wheeler – JR – 70 OVR – Not terribly experienced, average/above average most everywhere on defense. 78/83 on the boards(off/def). 77 post offense/72 defense. Good hustle/vertical/strength so he loks like a pretty good athlete. Only a 76 close range shot/85 in traffic. He doesn't seem like a scoring threat. Not a shot blocker either. 5.3 ppg/5 rpg

C Russell Kapono – SR – 80 OVR – 7 feet tall with some talent, very scary. 81 on the boards(both off and def), 91post offense, 78 post defense. 92in close/85 in traffic, and he's a good dunker. Strength is 91, average shot blocker... an absolute monster inside. He leads the team with 20.1 ppg so far this year. This is well up from a 15 point average last season.

There's no specific plan. We got a lot of offense out of House and Cooper last game, and we'd like to do the same. We have a very hard time scoring inside as long as Kapono is down there, so

Half
Time
OHIO
BSU
Notes
We're calling the first timeout today. We get out to a 12-8 lead but allow 10 straight to Ball State, two 3's by their backup SF Massey, a midrange jumper and then a layup after a steal on the inbounds. Before that little rally we were going at each other pretty evenly.
10:35
Damn. We are dying out there against their 3-2 zone. We can't take it to the rack because we just miss against Kapono, and we are missing threes. We get the backups in(the starters played a little longer thanks to a 6th man boost). Cooper has 7 thanks to 4 free throws... no one has made more than 1 FG. Massey on their end is killing us, 3-4 from 3 now, and Kapono is 3-4 inside.
We're dying out there. Grundy has the size to attack their big men, and he scores 4 points for us, but that's all we can manage, Grundy falls over going into the middle once and misses another shot and no one else can make anything, no matter how wide open. Starters are back.
4:40
We miss two open shots on our end, they hit two ridiculous 3 point plays on their end. We trail now by 22. I call another time out.
4:15
I bring Grundy in to play with the starters, Bright has been incredibly ineffective lately, I need the size out there with the starters.

HALF
Well, we had it down to 15, they score the final four points of the half to make it a 19 point game. They are 22-40. They are 6-11 from the line, drawing 8 fouls on us, and only committing 5 themselves. They have a 20-14 edge on the boards, and have forced 8 turnovers while only committing 2 themselves. Every factor is heavily in their direction.

We are 11-28 from the field, 4-14 from 3. Every single one of those 3 pointers was wide wide open. Their SF Minoff has 10, Kapono 8, Wheeler 7, Massey 9. Their big men are owning us.

House has 11 for us, Cooper 9, Murphy 6. Grundy 6 as well, no other backups have any points at all. We can win this, but we have to get off to a good start to the second half.
19:15
We score first, but they come back with a 3 point play on their end. The big problem is that it is House's 3rd foul of the game. I get him out and bring in Lufkin.
13:30
THERE we go. We're even for a bit, and its 61-41 Ball State. Cooper gets two buckets blowing by his man. Murphy gets a 3. Lufkin gets a 3 point play. Cooper gets a layup in transition. We score 12 in a row and make it 61-53. They just scored to get the lead back up to 10 again, but we've just made it a game.
11:40
We actually scored another 5 straight, Murphy got Edelin leaping by him on a pump fake and went up for a 3 point shot, Edelin fouled him from behind. All 3 free throws good, and then Watson scored on an offensive board. Backups are in now finally. “Backup” squad is Mendoza, Lamkin, House, Bright and Keller. Yup, we put on that huge run without House on the floor.
9:40
They hit a free throw, we get a dunk by house, a stop, and a dunk by Lamkin. Lamkin's dunk gives us a 6th man boost and cuts the lead down to 4!! Ball State with the timeout.
7:00
They stretch it back out to as much as 7. Its 6 as the starters come back in. House is going to sit for a minute or two though and finish out the final 5 minutes.
6:05
Kapono hits a shot to put them back up 8. He blocks Watson on the other end, and draws a foul on Watson back on offense. Luckily he misses both free throws... our ball down 8.
4:20
We get a couple stops and its all Cooper til the end. Cooper with 5 straight to cut the lead to 5. Then we get an offensive board by Watson, a putback and a foul for a 3 point play opportunity! He makes the free throw and we trail by only 2. House is back in the game. Cooper has 21 and has been awesome.
2:30
Ugh, 5 straight on their end. Stupid mistakes on my part too. I threw a dumb pass out to House on the wing, I thought it was safe but Edeline lunged for it and caugh it . There was no reason to throw it where I did though, lazy. Then Watson tries to challenge Kapono inside which is a recipe for failure. I saw the lane and took it but we've missed that shot repeatedly. I call a timeout after they score a 3 on the 2nd basket.
2:15
Murphy comes up clutch hitting an open 3. They call a timeout.
Grundy with a foul, 3 point play Ball State.
1:12
We turn it over, but get a stop on the other end. House scores in transition after the defensive rebound, but we're down 5 with 1:12 left, gonna be tough.
0:40
They take a quick shot, its a decent look for Kapono but it doesn't fall. We run a play on our end and Murphy goes off a screen and hits a wide open 3 pointer. 2 point game! Just 40 seconds left though, gotta foul I think.

They make their free throws and we miss our shots.

Ball State 90
Ohio 83

I don't know how the hell we beat Ball State so badly the first time we played them. I don't know how the hell this team only went 9-7 in this conference. They beat us solidly twice and we are by most accounts the best team in the league.

Now we get to wait and see if we've done enough for a tournament invite.

Their inside game dominates us again. 19 for Kapono, 17 for Wheeler. The problem is that if we go to a zone they have the 3 point shooters to murder us, so I have to take my chances there. 13 for Minoff, 10 for Rowe, 11 for Massey. Edelin was in foul trouble and ineffective.

Murphy: 18 points (5-10 from 3)
Cooper: 21 points
House: 20 points
Watson: 9 points/14 boards

Grundy: 8 points/5 boards
Lufkin: 5 points

We could have won if we'd gotten more out of our backups. Mendoza and Lamkin were terrible today.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:03 AM   #428
Radii
Head Coach

MAC Semifinals

5. Ball State 90
1. Ohio 83

3. Miami OH 70
2. N. Illinois 55

MAC Finals

5. Ball State 70
3. Miami OH 64
Old 03-30-2009, 02:22 AM   #429
Radii
Head Coach

We've fallen all the way out of the bracketology bracket. We are on the bubble though.

Ohio Resume

22 wins
8 losses

RPI: 33
RPI 1-50: 2-0
RPI 51-100: 5-3
RPI 101-200: 11-4
RPI 201+: 4-1

We have wins over San Diego(25-8), Hofstra(22-8) in non conference play. Also a win at Dayton(18-16).

In conference play we have two wins over Miami Ohio (19-13), 2 wins over Akron(17-11), and 1 win over Ball State (20-12)

Bad Losses might be considered to be a loss to UMAss who went 10-20, a terrible North Florida squad. and technically Kent State and Ball State finished out of the RPI top 100 so that might hurt us(Kent State 104, Ball State 114) as we have 3 losses to those two schools.

NCAA Selection

Mid-majors on the bubble: Ohio, VCU, Utah State, San Diego...

Clark tells us that Ohio was impressive this year but had a couple setbacks against bad teams that might hurt them.

1 seeds

East: Wisconsin
South: Boston College
Midwest: Pitt
West: Arizona

East Region

Virginia Tech is the 9 seed in the East, they were a bubble team I am almost certain. That is bad for us.

Ole Miss is the 11 seed at 21-13, I can't remember if they were a bubble team or not, seems likely.

We're not in the East.

Notre Dame is the 2 seed. Big jump up after they were in the NIT last year(they beat us there).

South Region

Pepperdine and LaSalle are the 8/9 seeds in the South. I don't remember either on the bubble watch.

Ball State is the #13 seed in the South. They'll play #4 Cal.

Texas Tech is the #11 seed, another bubble team. I've got a real bad feeling now.

NC State is the 10 seed here, I'm 100% sure they were a bubble team too

Florida is the 2 seed here.

Midwest

Wasington plays villanova in the 8/9 game here.

UNC is the 3 seed here.

Iowa State and Baylor is the 7/10 matchup. Just one more group to go.

Temple is the 2 seed here.

West

Nevada and Kentucky is the 8/9 game out in the West.

American is the 11 seed, just the 7/10 matchup left, I think I've seen way too many bubble teams though.

Bastards!!! Iowa is the 7 seed, San Diego is the 10 seed. San Diego is 25-8, we were 22-8 and beat them(I know, I know, head to head doesn't matter).

Duke is the 2 seed.

Bubble Wrapup

Kentucky, San Diego, Baylor, NC State, St Bonaventure in

Kansas, Oregon, Ohio, Utah State, VCU out

damn damn damn!!!!!

What a letdown at the end.

NIT

Kansas, Utah State, Oregon, and Ohio earn 1 seeds in the NIT. Heh, we're slated to play Northern Illinois in round 2 if we advance. I'm still simming it, worthless tournament that it is.

And, our players play like its a worthless tournament. Can't blame them.

NIT First Round

Elon 76
Ohio 66

House 17, Cooper 15, Murphy 10, Mendoza 9.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:30 AM   #430
Radii
Head Coach

2015 NCAA Tournament

East: (1) Wisconsin beats (3) Michigan State to advance to their second straight final four.
West: (1) Arizona beats (3) Mississippi State
South: (3) Oklahoma State beats (1) Boston College to advance to the final four

That leaves the Midwest:

First Round:

16 seed Alabama State beats 1 seed Pitt
12 seed Air Force beats 5 seed Maryland

2nd round:

9 seed Villanova beats 16 seed Alabama State
12 seed Air Force beats 4 seed UCLA
10 seed Baylor beats 2 seed Temple

3rd round:

10 seed Baylor beats 3 seed North Carolina
9 seed Villanova beats 12 seed Air Force

4th Round:

10 seed Baylor beats 9 seed Villanova 70-61 to advance to the final four.

Final Four

Wisconsin beats Arizona 95-86
10 seed Baylor beats 3 seed Oklahoma State 76-72

National Title game:

(10) Baylor 75
(1) Wisconsin 63

har. God damn bubble team wins the whole tournament.

Ball State lost in the first round.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:16 AM   #431
Radii
Head Coach

Graduating Seniors

Only two... but what a two they are.

SG Arzelle Cooper - 6'5" 202 lbs - 82 OVR

Award List:

2011/12: Freshman All Conference
2012/13: Second Team All Conference
2013/14: First Team All Conference
2014/15: ?? (I haven't advanced yet, will shortly and edit)

Cooper's numbers aren't overwhelmingly good, mostly because of the system we run with 10 players. Only halfway through his senior season did he truly become a consistent go-to guy, as opposed to "one of the guys who hopefully gets hot for us sometimes".

Career Numbers: 11.1 ppg/3.0 rpg/2.2 apg/1.2 spg (1378 points total)
448-980 FG (45.7%)
175-476 3P (36.7%)
307-447 FT (68.6%)

He played 124 games, starting them all.

He did have his best year as a senior, scoring 12.7 ppg, shooting 44.8% from the field, 35.2% from 3, and improving to a 75% free throw shooter.

Career Highs: 27 points, 12 boards, 7 assists, 5 steals, 5 3 pointers.

Cooper is my first 4* recruit

SF Wendell House - 6'9" 209 lbs - 78 OVR

House is quite simply the most athletic player I've ever controlled in this game. During his final two seasons he was good for 3-5 dunks every game, he started more 6th man rallies and killed the energy of hostile road crowds than anyone else I've ever had.

Awards:

2011/12: Conference Freshman of the year
2013/14: Second Team All-Conference
2014/15: ??

Career Stats:

13.3 ppg/4.0 rpg/1.6 apg/1.0 spg (1415 points total)

502-958 FG (52.4%)
86-260 3P (33.0%)
325-462 FT (70.3%)

Played 106 games, starting 105. He missed games in his freshman and sophomore season with injury.

His last two seasons House really shined, going from 9 ppg as a sophomore to 13.0 ppg as a junior and 19.5 ppg as a senior.

His senior season he averaged 19.5 ppg, shot 53.7%(209-389), improved to over 36% from 3 (42-115), and 74% from the line (146-196).

Career Highs: 47 points, 12 boards, 5 assists, 5 steals, 7 3's.

House has an 85 vertical leap, 85 speed, 91 dunking ability, 78 off the dribble and 84 in traffic. 88 close range shot.... those numbers are just oustanding at this level at least. Expicially on a 6'9" long frame. I'm going to miss having him around, a lot.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:31 AM   #432
Radii
Head Coach

2014/15 Ohio Team Stats

Last year I wrote in this space about our heartbreaking ending and how we wasted a chance to go to the NCAA Tournament. Of course, I feel the same this year, but our competition was much better. We *should* have been up to it. If we make a couple shots here and there we beat a couple more teams. If I don't fuck up my schedule I don't lose to North Florida b/c its a game 2 days in a row and I'm 23-7 instead of 22-8 and an at-large maybe.

But this year feels different because our conference was much stronger. We were the best team all around, but every team in conference play that beat us was a decent team. No total choke jobs.

I do feel that this was a great year to land a couple goals to improve myself as a coach, and I failed to do that. Also, the immersion factor is awesome, because more than anything, I'm disappointed that I didn't get to win a NCAA Tournament game with House and Cooper. They'll hopefully be the guys that helped to launch this program to the top of the mid-major world, even if they didn't reap the benefits themselves.

We're going to have 3 seniors next year, Watson, Lufkin and Lamkin. Barring a miracle in recruiting, Lamkin and Lufkin will be asked to replace Cooper and House in the starting lineup for a season. Lufkin is up to 12 ppg or so I believe. He's rated well, just not as athletic, but he'll get his points. Lamkin I am worried about, I belive he'll be streaky and not as reliable as a starter.
Pos
Name
Class
Assists
FG %
3P %
FT %
SF
Wendell House
SR
SG
Arzelle Cooper
SR
PG
Michel Murphy
SO
PG
David Mendoza
SO
PF
Nathan Grundy
FR
SF
Kaylen Lufkin
JR
PF
Curtis Watson
JR
SG
Chuck Lamkin
JR
C
JR Keller
SO
PF
Lloyd Bright
FR
SG
Shawn Garcia
SO

Old 03-30-2009, 03:48 AM   #433
Radii
Head Coach

2014/15 Awards

Baylor wins the national title - Roster Strength of 92, they probably had some injuries that hurt them and put them on the bubble. Or the Big 12 sucked... they were 13-3 in the Big 12 and on the bubble!?!?

6'10" Senior Center Loren Randall from Ole Miss wins the player of the year award with 26 points and 6.4 rebounds per game.

6'10" Senior Center Vasilis Marks from San Francisco is the mid-major player of the year with 24.8 ppg and 6.1 rebounds/game.

Wisconsin's Bo Ryan is the national coach of the year.

Tre Conley out of Virginia is freshman of the year with 12.7 ppg/3.5 rpg/4.3 apg/1.9 spg.

1st Team All-Americans:

PG PJ Chapman - 85 OVR - Miss State - 18.6 ppg/3.3 apg
SG Fab Corrigan - 86 OVR - Vanderbilt - 19.1 ppg
SF Zeljko Cooley - 83 OVR - Charlotte - 18.4 ppg/5.3 rpg
PF Raoul Barron - 90 OVR - Alabama - 23.6 ppg/8.5 rpg
C Loren Randall - 84 OVR - Ole Miss - 26.0 ppg/6.4 rpg

The SEC is probably pissed at this punk SF from Charlotte crashing their party, wow.

MAC Awards

Ohio coach Richard Dixon is named coach of the year in the MAC!!!

Ohio SF Wendell House is named MAC Player of the year

I did not expect either of those awards. The coach of the year has gone to the conference tourney winner lately. And Ball State's Center had more points and rebounds per game than House.

Ohio PF Lloyd Bright is named MAC Freshman of the year

Completely undeserved, and entirely based on the sim engine. But whatever, we swept the conference awards!!!

First Team All-MAC

PG Simplice Butt - 77 OVR - N. Illinois - 10.8 ppg/3.7 apg
SG Arzelle Cooper - 82 OVR - Ohio - 12.7 ppg
SF Wendell House - 78 OVR - Ohio - 19.5 ppg/3.9 rpg

PF Elton Falls - 79 OVR - Buffalo - 16.4 ppg/6.7 rpg
C Russell Kapono - 80 OVR - Ball State - 19.9 ppg/5.5 rpg

Butt and Falls are only juniors. The rest are seniors.

Second Team All-MAC

PG Rod Rowe - 75 OVR - Ball State - 9.6 ppg/4.9 apg
SG Tom AHanavan - 74 OVR - N. Illinois - 10.4 ppg
SF Clinton Moye - 80 OVR - Bowling Green - 15.8 ppg/5.4 rpg
PF Errick Floyd - 79 OVR - N. Illinois - 13.2 ppg/6.5 rpg
C Rylan Gabler - 73 OVR - Miami OH - 16.6 ppg/5.4 rpg

Hanavan, Floyd and GAbler are juniors. So Northern Illinois has the 1st team PG, 2nd team SG and PF all returning next year. Scary.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:53 AM   #434
Radii
Head Coach

A quick review of how I've done so far:

Coaching history

NC A&T
07/08 10-17
08/09 14-15
09/10 17-14

Ohio

10/11 24-8 NCAA tournament First Round
11/12 13-18
12/13 17-14
13/14 23-8 NIT First Round
14/15 22-9 NIT First Round

Career: 140-103

Three 20 win seasons, two in a row. As far as I'm concerned right now, next year is totally up in the air. We'll have a strong roster and will be near the top of the league I believe.

Coaching Skill

Winning coach of the year earned me a skill point. I hate just having one, I want to put it all over. I raise my offensive ability, the next to last skill sitting at C-(scouting is also)

Offense: C
Defense: B+
Teaching: A-
Scouting: C-
Charisma: A+
Discipline: C

Overall: B
Old 03-30-2009, 04:04 AM   #435
Radii
Head Coach

Coaching Carousel

There are 4 power conference jobs open, and 4 large conference jobs open:

Wisconsin(Bo Ryan must have retired), Nebraska, Oregon State, Minnesota, Temple, Duqesne, Wyoming, and Tulane.

Progress is being made! We are #6 on the list for the Duqesne job before running anything. That job is 6th on the list overall. Its unlikely to go to me, their list is different than the others, but its the first time a large conference has shown interest. We are not on Wyoming's list, but Tulane has us 5th. Well, lets see how this goes:

Wisconsin hires away Utah State's coach. Utah State becomes the top mid-major job open.

Nebraska hires 'BCC' coach... bethune cookman perhaps(they've become very strong, on the mid-major poll as a small conference team)

Oregon State hire's Drexel's coach

Minnesota hires American's head coach

Temple hires Long Beach State's head coach - I'm still not on the list at Temple. They're a very strong school though and have higher standards than other 'large conference' teams I bet.

Duqesne goes for CSUS coach(not sure who that is). I'm upto #5 by the time this comes around. ** CSUS = sacramento state. Yeah, I'm an east coast guy, no way I know that.

Wyoming goes for 16 seed upset special coach from Alabama State, I'm not on their list at all.

ALMOST! Tulane grabs Coppin State's head coach. I am #2 on their list.

Utah State goes for High Point's head coach, I'm #2 on this list too.

Drexel, La Tech, Butler, Northern Iowa and Wisconsin Milwaukee all want me, the rest of the mid-major teams with jobs open. I see no reason at all to leave Ohio for any of them.

One more year! Also, keep hanging on at UNC Roy, you don't need to retire for 4 or 5 more years bud.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:07 AM   #436
Radii
Head Coach

Assistant Coaches

There's an upgrade here. I fire Sandy Boylan - I had him for his offense(B+) and the fact that his Teaching was decent (C+). He has C+ Charisma but I carry the recruiting myself so that's ok.

In his place I hire Jason Meade:

Offense: A+
Defense: C+
Teaching: B-
Scouting: C
Charisma: D
Discipline: D

A+ offense, C+ Defense and B- Teaching are all excellent steps up over Boylan. Obviously the primary reason he is being brought on is that he is an offensive wizard.

My other assistant, Denver Francis, is with me for his scouting(B+) and defense(B). He happens to have C+ Charisma too which helps with a few calls here and there. There are no scouts better than this available, so there is no need to make a change here.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:10 AM   #437
Radii
Head Coach

Transfers

We have both our scholarships out and can accept no transfers.

Two noteworthy transfers:

79 OVR SG Ali Pinnock(junior) leaves Virginia Tech for Texas A&M Corpus Christi

75 OVR SF Mario Smith(soph) leaves Penn State for UMass

There are no transfers - in or out - in the MAC for players rated over 60

I must say i would not have been surprised if Garcia had left this year, we've really treated him poorly. But he's still around.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:28 AM   #438
Radii
Head Coach

Offseason Recruiting

All our early 4* and (lol right?) 5* recruits are gone, offered long ago by big boys.

I have two scholarships out:

3* PG Tim Barker - #142 OVR out of Bloomington, Indiana. We've got him at 100%. He likes Indiana but they never came calling. I expect to land him on the first day. With Mendoza and Murphy, I dont know what I will do with Barker. He's pretty much a "best player available" recruit.

3* SF Rodney Santiago - #140 OVR/#36 SF out of Cleveland. I recruited Rodney entirely because he is Mr Basketball in Ohio and that would earn me a coaching skill point. We only have him at 90%. He wants to go to Ohio State or Cincinnati but neither have come calling yet. If either does we'll lose him. If they don't I expect we'll get him after the first or second week. Santiago has a lot of B level skills according to my scout and could be a very good player.

We have two serious backup targets as well:

3* SG Jorge Shumate - #189 OVR/#46 SG - Indianapolis. If he looked like a lights out shooter I'd consider dropping my PG recruit for him. He's at 100% and we could likely land him in the first week. But he's not, his overall skill profile lists him as a B+ shooter, but his individual shooting ratings are C's according to our scout. Solid backup though.

3* C Jair Watkins - #241 OVR/#13 Center - A 6'11" big man, strong and a good rebounder. Unfortunately Bowling Green appears likely to land him immediately. They have made him an offer.

Initial Recruiting Day

3* PG Tim Barker does indeed sign with OHIO. I'm happy to land a highly ranked player.

3* C Jair Watkins does sign with Bowling Green. no surprises so far.

Offseason Week 1

3* SF Rodney Santiago signs with OHIO!! This earns me a coaching point next season, as I have now signed the Mr Basketball from the same state my school is in.

This also fills my recruiting class for the season.

I spend the rest of the time working on juniors that I've been calling.

Recruiting Class Review

3* SF Rodney Santiago - 6'3" 202 lbs - #140 OVR/#36 SF

Santiago is small compared to the guys I've got now. He scored 15.1 points and averaged 8.6 boards in the ABL. 42% from the field, 44% from 3(16-36).

Shooting: A-
Skills: B-
Defense: B
Athleticism: B+
Rebounding: B+
Intelligence: B+
Potential: B
Size: B-

Lots of ratings look promising: B potential, B- close, B 3 point, C+ Med. B- off the dribble, B- defense, B- steals. B- quickness, B vertical, B+ Strength, C+ awareness, both offense and defense.

3* PG Tim Barker - 6'2" 176 lbs - #142 OVR/#49 PG

14.1 ppg, 3.1 assists and 1.6 steals a game in the ABL. 58% from the field, 46% from 3.

Shooting: B+
Skills: A-
Defense: A-
Athleticism: B+
Rebounding: C
Intelligence: B
Potential: B+
Size: C+

C speed/D quickness. C+ hands and passing. B- defense, C+ steals. B close/C med/C from 3. B+ off the dribble. The average mid-range and 3 point shot has me thinking he won't be a big scorer, and nothing else looks good enough to make me think there's a chance in hell he'll come in better than Mendoza or Murphy. Its not impossible that I'll like him better than Garcia as a backup SG.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:30 AM   #439
Radii
Head Coach

Uh. I look through the rest of the league's signings and I'm encouraged. Ball State has signed one top 200 player, there are a couple JC players that are rated 3*. But i don't see anything noteworthy and assume i've got the best class...

until I get to Miami Ohio.

Miami Ohio has signed a 5* JC recruit. He'll come in as a junior. He's 6 feet tall and 182 pounds out of Chattanooga, TN. SG Stan Victor is the name. I'll be checking his ratings as soon as I do the flip.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:33 AM   #440
Radii
Head Coach

2015 Recruiting Class Rankings

1. Florida
2. Michigan State
3. Louisville
4. Syracuse
5. Marist (???)
6. West Virginia
7. Mississippi State
8. Wisconsin
9. BYU
10. Clemson

Duke and UNC are not in the top 25 or so, strange after seeing them in the top 5 the last few years. If UNC is going to decline make it slow please so I can build up some more!

JC Juniors must be devalued a lot. Our class with two 3* players is rated around 90th or so i think. miami OH is rated about 10 spots below us.

Huh neat. We unlock an achievement: "fan support" - Finish a season with at least 90% home attendance.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:38 AM   #441
Radii
Head Coach

2015/16 Scheduling

We're playing in the "Polar Bear Tip-Off Classic" on november 12th. I remove a game on November 21st as it runs the risk of giving us 3 games in a week. I add a game in early december instead.

Our schedule looks similar to last year. A lot of teams rated in the mid-high 70s. I add a game against a team rated a bit higher this year, and it seems they're willing to come to our house, so yeah, its on. We'll be hosting 85 rated DePaul out of the big east on December 6th.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:52 AM   #442
Radii
Head Coach

As promised, I go take a look at Miami's 5* guy. He's slated in the starting lineup at PG, rated 80 OVR. He has an 87 3 point rating. Well hell. At least he's just around for 2 seasons.

Incoming Recruits

SCORE!

SF Rodney Santiago - 6'3" 208 lbs - 76 OVR

He needs some work in some areas. His speed is only 78, though his quickness is 81. Defense is 81, great for a frosh SF. Handling is 79, again very good for a SF. But there's one rating that jumps out like crazy:

81 3-point shooting. I don't think I've had a guy rated above 80 from 3 since my first season at NC A&T when I had a sharpshooter already on the roster. And Santiago comes in rated 81 from 3 as a freshman. He's got C potential so it'll go up a fair bit. Cooper left college rated 79 from 3 as a senior with 4 years of development.

PG Tim Barker - 6'2" 178 lbs - 69 OVR

85 speed/79 quickness. 83 defense/74 steals - that will become great as he develops. 85 handling/75 passing - also good and will become very good with development. 81 close/70 med/72 3. not a score first guy but that's ok. 81 off the dribble. C+ potential is not bad at all. He'll develop into a solid player.

Barker will almost certainly redshirt. I have 10 guys on my roster rated 70 or above. There is no way in hell anyone else in the MAC can say that.

Offseason Development

Again I failed to recap development during last season. When i do the full roster overview I'll highlight the difference between the start of last season and start of this season. Lamkin gives me hope to start at SG this year, having gained 3 ratings points since the start of his junior year, and a total of 6 in the last two years.

Anyway, during the offseason Lamkin went from 71->73 OVR. Bright, Watson, Murphy, Keller, Mendoza, Garcia, Grundy, Northcutt and Snowden all gained 1 point (the last two being average recruits that redshirted last year).

Grundy grew an inch and is now 7'1". Bright, unfortunately, is still 6'7".
Old 03-30-2009, 05:10 AM   #443
Radii
Head Coach

MAC Preseason Preview

As always, the ratings of everyone in the league. Also I've listed the change from the start of last season to indicate the direction they may be heading. That's the change in overall rating, not in standings btw.

1. Ohio 83 (0)
2. Miami OH 81 (+1)
3. Ball State 79 (-2)
4. Kent State 79 (+2)
5. Eastern Michigan 77 (+1)
6. Akron 77 (-1)
7. Bowling Green 77 (+2)
8. Buffalo 76 (-1)
9. Toledo 76 (-1)
10. Northern Illinois 75 (-1)
11. Western Michigan 75 (-1)
12. Central Michigan 74 (-1)

Northern Illinois is a surprise. They'll probably be pretty good anyway overall but they have some depth issues and have a 50something rated center out there with the rest of their solid lineup.

Miami OH is the only team other than Ohio that starts 5 players rated 70+. Multiple teams appear stuck with guys rated in the 50s, something that wasn't the case last year.

MAC Preseason Awards

Best Overall Player: Gary Edelin - SR - Ball State - 83 OVR
Best Freshman: Rodney Santiago - Ohio - 76 OVR
Best Shooter: Gary Edelin - SR - Ball State - 83 OVR
Best Playmaker: Zam Surov - SR - Bowling Green - 73 OVR
Best Pro Prospect: Simplice Butt - SR - N Illinois - 79 OVR
Best Defender: Herman Bro - SR - Kent State - 74 OVR

Hooray best freshman!

Butt is listed as a second round draft pick. Edelin is a dark horse to be drafted at all.

Lastly, I check out the preseason tournament that we're in, and it looks set up nicely for us to advance a bit. Its an 8 team tournament so we'll get 3 games out of it.

We'll open vs Stetson, rated 65 OVR. If we win that we'll play the winner of Montana(69 OVR) and Western Illinois (64 OVR).

We'd have a reasonable shot at playing one of Arizona State(87 OVR) or San Diego State (86 OVR) in the final game, so there's a chance we get a really good challenge out of this tournament.

I haven't looked at recruiting at all yet. I think the head of steam from finishing off the season, plus the hype that keeps me up forever after seeing Carolina make it to a final four is finally wearing off

This is the year we break through and get back to the NCAA Tournament. Mark it down!
Old 03-30-2009, 10:37 PM   #444
Radii
Head Coach

2015/16 Ohio Roster

We have a very strong roster this year. Stronger than last year overall. If I can get the starting 5 to gel and figure out how to best score and win without House and Cooper quickly, we're could be incredibly good.

Starting Lineup

PG Michel Murphy - JR - 6'2" 190 lbs - 73 OVR (+3)

92 speed/84 quickness, 78 handling/79 passing. He's a poor ball handler for a PG. He's developed into a fine shooter. 75 close/75 med/80 3/81 off the dribble. He averaged 7.5 ppg last year and improved from 29% to 36% behind the arc between freshman and sophomore years. Hopefully that continues to go up. And lastly, he's becoming a lockdown defender. 87 on ball defense may be the best on the team this year. 73 steals rating is good as well.

SG Chuck Lamkin - SR 6'4" 209 lbs - 73 OVR (+3)

85 speed/86 quickness/80 veritcal allows him to make some very nice 1 on 1 moves whenever there is a lane to the basket available. 85 handling helps as well. 86 close/66 med/79 3/75 off the dribble/73 in traffic. His weak midrange jumper and weakness off the dribble are liabilities. He either needs to get all the way to the rim or get an open 3. 79 rated defense is a C+, but Cooper was so much better, this is likely a liability as well.

SF Kaylen Lufkin - SR - 6'8" 218 lbs - 78 OVR (+2)

Lufkin is rated incredibly well. 87 speed/85 quickness is incredible for a 6'8 big man. 80 vert/65 str(which is good for a SF)/91 hustle... A good rebounder as well for a SF. 85 close/74 med/73 3/77 off the dribble/78 in traffic. A poor on ball defender at 74. Lufkin can't totally replace House, but he has the tools to put up some strong scoring numbers.

PF Lloyd Bright - SO - 6'7" 231 lbs - 78 OVR (+2)

Great speed for a big man, runs the floor very well(85 spd/77 quick). He is an incredible rebounder(80 off/93 def) and a strong post player(82 off/79 def). 87 close/85 in traffic. He should put up great numbers but his size hurts him. Still, he is so fundamentally sound its hard to keep him out of the lineup.

C Curtis Watson - SR - 6'10" 252 lbs - 78 OVR (+2)

90 orb/85 drb, outstanding numbers on the boards. 71 post offense/79 post defense. A good shot blocker (76) and a solid steals guy down low(72). 89 close/93 in traffic look outstanding. He only averaged 6 ppg last year but I suspect that will go up a bit this year. Unless Lamkin and Lufkin become immediate dominant scoring options with the 1st team, we'll spend more time looking for post scoring than in the past couple years.

Bench

PG David Mendoza - JR - 6'4" 174 lbs - 72 OVR (+2)

88 speed/82 quickness. 84 on ball defense, very good. 87 handling/75 passing, great ball handler but just an average passer. 76 close/69 med/77 3, 74 off the dribble. Not so good at creating his own shot, but can really take advantage of a good inside out game. Mendoza shot 42% from 3 as a freshman. Last year he shot 34%, trying to create his own shot too often when we struggled to score. I hope to make him a more efficient scorer again this year.

SG Shawn Garcia - JR - 6'7" 201 lbs - 70 OVR (+2)

Garcia finally gets rewarded for sticking with the program for 3 seasons, a redshirt year and 2 hidden deep on the bench. He'll get 10-15 minutes a game this year. He isn't much to look at. 83 speed/78 quickness. 80 handling. 78 defense. 76 steals is nice, hopefully he can generate some turnovers. 79 close/73 med/76 3. Can score if open. 75 off the dribble. Probably needs to catch and shoot to score when open.

SF Rodney Santiago - FR - 6'3" 208 lbs - 76 OVR

Santiago looks like a stud. A bit slow, 78 speed/81 quickness. Good physical traits though(85 vertical/78 str/72 hustle). 81 on ball defense, better than Lufkin. 85 close/71 med/81 3. 76 off the dribble/76 in traffic. Santiago is at minimum going to be groomed to be a 3 point specialist. If he becomes nothing more than that he'll have a lot of value.

PF Nathan Grundy - SO - 7'1" 261 lbs - 70 OVR (+2)

Grundy has grown 2 inches since he was recruited. A decent rebounder (72 off/80 def). Only average in the post (74 off/70 def). Not much of a shot blocker (64). 90 close/86 in traffic however are both very solid numbers. And given his size, he can be an impact player. There is a chance that he could break into the starting lineup this year, but Watson and Bright have such good rebound ratings it will take a lot. More likely he will take over at Center when Watson graduates. Scored 6.2 ppg as a freshman and hopefully will improve upon that. He'll get enough bench minutes to make a big impact.

C JR Keller - JR - 6'10" 229 lbs - 73 OVR (+2)

Average on the boards (79 off/76 def). Above average in the post (83 off/77 def). 89 close/83 in traffic, and he has great strength (82, A- rating). 62 defensive awareness is one of the worst on the team(most of these guys are around 70). He has horrible foul prone stretches too where he will pick up reach in after reach in and get 3 fouls in 90 seconds. He also occasionally has stretches where he scores 10 points in 6 minutes in a half off the bench. I like the guy but he's looking like a 4 year backup.

Reserves

SG Erkan Northcutt - FR - 6'2" 190 lbs - 69 OVR (+1)

84 speed/82 quickness. 79 defense. 77 handling. 85 close/73 med/72 3/77 off the dribble. C rated physical abilities. He isn't bad but he doens't have either the defense, ball handling, or scoring to warrant a look above the other guys we have available to us.

SF Dwight Snowden - SO - 6'7" 223 lbs - 67 OVR (+2)

77 speed/80 quickness. 75 defense. 73 steals is real nice(B rated). 78 close/69 med/63 3. There's a chance Snowden will be a backup for me next year after Lufkin leaves and Santiago takes over the starting role, but only if I can't land better in recruiting.

PG Tim Barker - FR - 6'2" 178 lbs - 69 OVR - REDSHIRT

I see potential here. 85 speed/79 quickness. 83 defense already as a freshman. 85 handling/75 passing. 81 close/70 med/72 3. 81 off the dribble, B+ quality. 74 steals(C+). Some of these ratings are very nice to see for a true freshman. IF I don't recruit better and IF he stays around for 2 years while Murphy and Mendoza take up all the minutes at PG, there will likely be some quality minutes for him.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:51 PM   #445
Radii
Head Coach

2015/16 Recruiting Preview

We're graduating 3 players this year and i have 3 scholarships available:

SF Kaylen Lufkin - 79 OVR - starter, key player

SG Chuck Lamkin - 73 OVR - starter

PF Curtis Watson - 78 OVR - starter

the "key player" designation is an arbitrary one made up by me. When Lamkin leaves, sure we're losing a starter, but I'm not concerned about my ability to win without him. Same with Watson. Lufkin however has a lot of talent and I believe he's going to be critical for us.

Also this year its worth looking ahead. We're graduating these 3 starters this year. Next year we're going to graduate Mendoza and Murphy, our two PG's, Keller, a quality center, and Garcia - backup SG who might be starting next season after Lamkin leaves.

So over the next two seasons we're graduating 7 players, 6 of them who are legitimate contributors today.

Recruiting Needs/Goals

I think I need to land a big man. With one leaving this year and one next year I likely need to make sure I land one in each of the next two years.

A nice SG would be good, Lamkin and Garcia aren't that special, a good SG could become a 4 year starter. However, its not critical. I could start Murphy and Mendoza next year if I don't find an ideal candidate. I'm also losing a SF where my likely backup next year(Snowden) is not very good, and will be losing two PG's next year...

um, that all adds up to the following:

I must land a big man

After that, I can go best available between PG/SG/SF and make it work.

Initial Offers

3* C Darryl Withers - #397 OVR/#33 C - Toronto, CN

Withers seems like someone I have a legit shot to land in the early signing period. He has offers from me and Niagara. I think I can outrecruit them. There are a couple higher rated centers that have interest in me as well, but Withers is 7 feet tall and that is worth at least a couple ratings points.

4* PG Isaac Gamble - JC FR - Memphis, TN

Gamble looks *good*, and he likes Ohio. Some bigger schools have a shot at him but we're right in the mix. We have him at 86%, not likely to land him in the early signing period but we have a legit shot. I really like his scouting grades... A- speed, B- defense, C+ hands/passing, C+ med/3 point shot, B+ off the dribble. B- steals... he looks like someone that could leapfrog murphy and mendoza.

4* PG John Mccully - #60 OVR/#29 PG - Euclid, OH

McCully rates being close to home above playing at a big program, which gives us hope. While he does favor some bigger schools, West Virginia, Charlotte, and Michigan, we are the only one "close to home" in his top 5. And these bigger schools aren't sitting at 100% just waiting to steal him away. They're in the 70% range just like we are. Seems like a lot of teams have a fair shot at him.

My hopes at this point are to land Withers in the early signing period. That way i can pursue the two 4* PGs all the way through the season as long as it appears I still have a shot at them, and can start working heavily on backup targets in case I lose them.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:58 PM   #446
Radii
Head Coach

November 13, 2015 - Polar Bear Tip-Off Classic

Ohio (0-0) vs Stetson (0-1)

This should be a warmup game. Stetson is rated 65 OVR (74 off/66 def/65 sht/77 reb).

To compare, we are rated 83 OVR (83 off/82 def/87 sht/89 reb). My coaching skill is rated 79 now, it was 78 last year. Our team Unity starts off at 46 this year. The two backups we're pulling into the starting lineup have 4 years experience at about 13 minutes/game, plus we're returning 3 starters.

This is the first round of our preseason tournament.

Scouting

They have two big men rated in the high 60s. Kris Chambliss, SO PF rated 67 OVR. Denham Carbaugh, FR C rated 68 OVR. However, they also start a SG rated 49 OVR. Ouch(for them).

Half
Time
OHIO
STET
Notes
13:05
Ahh, slow starts. Their 49 rated PG has 7 points. No surprise there. Backups are in.
4:45
Backups get us some breathing room. Santiago with 2 3's. He has a set shot super fast release like Mendoza does. Awesome. Starters back in after a Stetson timeout.

HALF
Heh. We're holding them to 39% but we're only shooting 42%. Standard start of the new season slow start really. Their 49 rated SG Jeffries has 7 points, all their other starters have 4.

Santiago and Bright lead us with 4 points each. Lufkin and Lamkin 4, Gracia 4 for the backups. I'm starting Santiago at SG this half.
16:00
That's better. Santiago fits well at SG. At least for these 4 minutes against this terrible team. :P
11:15
Hah, yes, better indeed. Backups are in. Gonna play this out just to get used to these guys. Santiago has probably earned the starting SG spot. 17 points/4 assists.
6:00
Starters are back in. Garcia did real well at SF there. Also, notice the 38-4 run this half.

They started scoring finally and that got a bit boring at the end.

Ohio 79
Stetson 44

Murphy: 6 points
Lamkin: 5 points
Lufkin: 10 points
Bright: 12 points/13 boards
Watson: 4 points/8 boards

Santiago: 20 points/5 assists
Garcia: 8 points
Old 03-31-2009, 12:11 AM   #447
Radii
Head Coach

I sim the second game of the tournament:

Ohio 86
Montana 51

Lufkin and Keller lead us with 14. Murphy, Lamkin and Bright all score 12.

I think most likely for the next couple games at least I'm going to run the rotation like I did during the Stetson game. Lamkin starts at SG, Lufkin at SF. Garcia and Santiago back them up. Then in the second half Santiago and Lufkin start with Lamkin and Garcia backing them up. I don't like messing with the lineup a lot so I'm going to be a bit hesitant before I put a freshman in the lineup this time around.

One change though. Garcia is 6'7", a poor on ball defender. Santiago is 6'3" and a better defender. Garcia will backup Lufkin, Santiago Lamkin.

That brings us to the finals of the polar bear thingy. We're playing Arizona State. They're rated 86 OVR and appear superior in every way except perhaps on the boards. A great early season challenge for us.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:45 PM   #448
Radii
Head Coach

November 15, 2015 - Polar Bear Tip-Off Classic

Ohio (2-0) vs Arizona State (2-0)

This will be our most difficult opponent all season until/unless we get to the NCAA Tournament. ASU is rated 86 OVR (86 off/86 def/89 sht/89 reb) and is still coached by Herb Sendek who is rated 89 as well.

They have two players with all-american caliber ratings. They appear to be a bit weak inside comparatively. They're the first team we've ever played that has a player with the “coach on the floor” designation. They play at a slow pace and shoot a ton of 3's.

Scouting

PG Seth Carroto – JR – 80 OVR – 92 speed/87 quickness, exceptional. 86 defense, 90 steals(ouch!). 87 hands/81 passing, both very good. 87 close/75 med/68 3. 83 off the dribble. Carroto isn't much of a scorer.

SG Dominic Romero – SR – 87 OVR – 86 speed/86 quickness. 83 defense(just average, hooray). 86 close/84 med/91 3, a real sharpshooter. 88 off the dribble, 78 in traffic. Averaged 15 ppg last year, was a 5* top 20 recruit a few seasons ago, and projected to be a 1st round draft pick in the NBA.

SF Cameron Hartman – JR – 87 OVR – 6'8” - 86 off awareness/80 def awareness earns Hartman coach on the floor designation. 85 speed/83 quickness is incredible for a SF. 85 defense, 92 close/76 med/77 3. 80 off the dribble/91 in traffic. 87 vertical/75 str... Great rebounder for a SF too. All american caliber talent it would seem. Hartman was the #5 recruit in the country 2 years ago and was first team all PAC 10 last year.

PF Davin Zivanovic – SR – 75 OVR – Only 6'6, a natural SF. 72 orb/74 drb, we look good against that. 70 post offense/69 post defense. 84 close/78 med/70 3/82 in traffic. He looks like a fine SF but a very poor fit in the post. Has 3 rebounds in 2 games so far.

C Trevor Norris – SO – 67 OVR – Only 6'7”. 79 orb/81 drb, we do ok against that too, we really ought to have an edge on the boards. 80 post off/74 post def. 81 close/82 in traffic. Only has 7 boards in 2 games so far.

Well, we should have an edge inside, but I don't score well inside so I'm not sure how much I can do there. Romero and Hartman... wow. Their backup guards are as good as our starters. We'll try to keep the game slow against them, with them running the princeton offense perhaps we can stay close and have a chance to win a game in the 50s?

Half
Time
OHIO
ASU
Notes
12:10
So the problem appears to be that their PF has SF skills and isn't missing anything outside. Zivanovic has 10 points to lead them and is killing Bright. Bright on our end has all 4 of our points. They spend some time in a 2-3 zone and to win we're going to have to shoot well. So far Murphy has missed 3 wide open 3's and lamkin one. Backups are in.
6:10
We're on a 6-2 run, Grundy has 4. Santiago and Mendoza both miss wide open 3's, making us 0-6 now I believe from 3. We also missed two layups, contested, that we don't normally miss against worse defenders. Starters are back in after an ASU timeout.

HALF
Disappointing finish to the half. We had the lead down to 7, 25-18. We forced misses on two straight trips but hartman got the offensive board and putback both times for them. Then we threw the ball away against the press with 30 seconds left and gave up a layup. Could have taken this into the locker room just down 6 or 8, instead 13.

For them, Zivanovic has 12 and Hartman has 7. They are shooting 15-26, 3-6 from 3. We are 7-21 from the field and 0-8 from 3. 6-8 from the line has saved us a bit. We only drew 4 fouls all half but they were all shooting fouls inside.

Bright leads us with 8. Grundy 4, Lamkin 3. We can get in this if we can make some damn open shots this half.
17:00
They have started cold this half, we're getting every rebound, and getting out on the break. Santiago has missed a tough shot in transition and a free throw or it could have been even closer, but a 5-0 run has helped here.
14:55
They score 7 straight.. Lufkin misses a shot in transition he usually makes, Santiago misses another 3 and they get 7 straight. Ugh. I call a timeout.
14:40
Hartman strips Lufkin, drives out of bounds going after the ball and Lufkin picks it up and makes our first 3 pointer of the game. We're now 1-12 from behind the arc.
12:45
Ugh, I had already called for the backups... Lufkin draws a foul and makes two free throws. Santiago hits a 3 pointer. Lufkin drives to the hoop and is fouled while making a layup. We get the 6th man going for us, and our backups come in. I would have kept the starters in another minute or so. Oh well. Lufkin misses the FT, their ball. Lead down to 5!!! This run is coming entirely from missed shots, no turnovers but our defense is playing great.
12:10
Another miss for ASU, we get the board and Keller hits a basket inside soon after we set up the offense. Timeout ASU!
9:25
I call a timeout after a tough stretch. They get a FT. Mendoza misses a wide open 3. We get a steal but Lamkin turns it over making a move to the basket. They get a 3. Mendoza misses another wide open 3. They just missed a shot and we call a timeout after the rebound to try to change the momentum.
They go up 49-39. I run off 4 in a row before they get a free throw to make it a 7 point game. I get the starters back in. I've got 3 timeouts and hopefully another 6th man boost in me, the starters have to tough this out. Mendoza missed another wide open 3, Grundy allowed one for them, just rough times for the backups.
5:00
Another 1-2 at the line for them, a Lufkin bucket and a Bright bucket for us make it a 4 point game. Watson just picked up his 4th foul for us, and we have 6 as a team so they'll shoot the rest of the way.
4:20
We get a great stop on defense and are working our offense when Watson gets called for 3 seconds in the lane. I wasn't controlling him, I didn't pass to him... this almost never happens without me getting him involved and leaving him in a bad spot. UGH!
3:10
They score 4 straight and I call a timeout.
1:50
We get two more straight stops... Santiago misses another open 3, Murphy is blocked in embarrassing fashion driving to the basket, and Santiago falls down making a move on his man. They score in transition after that last one and I call another timeout.

We can't get it down to less than 8.

Arizona State 64
Ohio 51

Well in one sense this is very disappointing. We shot 2-20 from the 3 point line. I believe that at least 15 of them were open shots and only the last 3 or so in the final 2 minutes were really forced. The shots were there. Make it even just 5-20 and maybe it plays out differently. In another sense we hung for most of the game with a very talented major conference team and at times made some very good plays.

Their PF Zivanovic really killed us. 19 points, 3-5 from 3. He rarely missed an open shot and made a few contested ones too. Hartman scored 13, Romero 7, Carroto 11 for their other talented starters.

Murphy: 2 points (0-5 3)
Lamkin: 3 points/3 assists (0-2 3, 1-4 total)
Lufkin: 11 points/6 boards
Bright: 12 points/6 boards
Watson: 2 points/9 boards

Santiago: 8 points (1-8 3)
Grundy: 6 points
Old 03-31-2009, 06:53 PM   #449
Radii
Head Coach

We open up 4th in the first mid-major poll of the year:

1. Pepperdine
2. VCU
3. Nevada
4. Ohio
5. Siena

N. Illinois is 8th, Ball State 11th, Akron 13th, Toledo 16th, Kent State 19th. Well then! PS I have no idea how the early season polls are determined or if they are relevant to anything at all. But I'm in them so I like looking at them

We don't play the next week and fall to 7th.

I decide to sim the next two to get to the early signing period:

November 23

at Ohio 78
UMass 76

Good win at home, though one I would expect, UMass rated 77 overall. 19 for Watson, 14 for Grundy, 8 for Bright. Good inside play there.

And our last game is another we expect to win, but again a not terrible team.

November 28

at Ohio 86
Wyoming 73

Wow, 29 from Lufkin. 10 from Murphy, 8 from Lamkin and Santiago in a dominant performance.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:54 PM   #450
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Rule Change:

I'm turning backcourt violations off. Assuming it doesn't impact gameplay any, I'll probably leave it off. I *love* running the 3/4 court press. It seems to have been exactly what i needed to get a perfect pace to my games. But 2-3 times a game, the pressure occurring at half court randomly forces the opposing team's PG to step over the line. I'm sure anyone who has the game knows what I mean. Since I don't let the CPU do this to me, this has become an unfair advantage and the two solutions seem to be to not press, or turn off backcourt violations. We'll see if it impacts anything else. Backcourt violations for any reason other than this occur maybe once every 7-8 games at the most, so I suspect it'll be fine.

Very good idea!
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote