Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #1
markprior22
High School Varsity

Swimming pool chemical advice

I set up an Intex 18' x 4' metal frame pool over the weekend. I've never had a pool before so I'm very unfamiliar with what chemicals I need to use. I looked online and see many options. Basically I don't want to buy every pool chemical known to man if it isn't necessary (the stuff is expensive enough as is). I would like to know what people actually use in their pools. I saw HTH brand material at Wal Mart. They had what was labeled a starter kit but it didn't seem complete to me. Basically I'd like some thoughts on 1) what you use in your pool and 2) thoughts on good starter kits for a new pool owner.

Appreciate any advice

markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
I set up an Intex 18' x 4' metal frame pool over the weekend. I've never had a pool before so I'm very unfamiliar with what chemicals I need to use. I looked online and see many options. Basically I don't want to buy every pool chemical known to man if it isn't necessary (the stuff is expensive enough as is). I would like to know what people actually use in their pools. I saw HTH brand material at Wal Mart. They had what was labeled a starter kit but it didn't seem complete to me. Basically I'd like some thoughts on 1) what you use in your pool and 2) thoughts on good starter kits for a new pool owner.

Appreciate any advice

No advice on the chemicals, but I will add this.

We got one two years ago, 4' X 12' round. The kids love it.

But, the filter it came with was pretty weak. I think the one that came with ours was 1/4 HP. We ended up finding a 3/4 HP one, same brand, at a local shop that works a ton better. You may want to check that out if you can find something cheap.

As far as the chemicals...yeah, no idea, my wife is home with the kids, she does all of that. Every so often if I have them in after work, she'll yell out the window to throw in some chlorine when we're done for the night. That's about it.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post

Appreciate any advice

I've heard good things about the salt water thing they sell.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/19336123?a...0&wl4=&wl5=pla

I think that you don't need to buy all of the chlorines and such if you get something like this.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I've heard good things about the salt water thing they sell.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/19336123?a...0&wl4=&wl5=pla

I think that you don't need to buy all of the chlorines and such if you get something like this.

My cousin went this route with their Intex pool, and they love it. A lot less maintenance, and don't have to worry about storing and using all of the chemicals.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
DanGarion
Coordinator

I usually just pee in the water, seems to work.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
markprior22
High School Varsity

No Baby Ruth bars? :-)
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote