Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-01-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
hoopsguy
General Manager

Re-reading past werewolf games

Another player mentioned this game to me recently as one of his all-time favorites, which spurred me to go back and re-read it from start to finish.

Werewolf XXIV: A long time ago...game over, Sith win,full role listing at 2030 - Front Office Football Central

There were a couple of things that I didn't remember from this one:
1.) Saldana's writing was really top-notch. Clearly among the best that I've seen in the 100 or so games (between big/small) at FOFC
2.) Some of the stuff around the deadline extension - don't want to spoil it for someone else who might want to (re)read it
3.) How thin the margin was between total victory and total annihilation; this comes out in the post-game

Anyway, if people have a game that they think holds up well with time, or has never really gotten its due then please post in this thread. I'm always looking for some way to fill the dead time between games. Re-reading this thread took me about 4 hours yesterday.

hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Werewolf XI: The return to Transylvania - Page 2 - Front Office Football Central

Might be one of the fastest WW games. Turned an incredibly stupid d1 role reveal into lynching a wolf, then our seer picked the right guy and the next lynch we ended the game.

Here's another fun one, that I remember participating in. Everything played out almost perfect, and we dominated.
Werewolf XII: Mafia Returneth - Page 14 - Front Office Football Central

Last edited by illinifan999 : 08-01-2008 at 04:20 PM.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
hoopsguy
General Manager

Mafia Returneth thoughts:
1.) huh, I didn't realize that there was a second game out there where the bad guys ran the table
2.) Fake reveals seemed to be a lot more successful in the earlier days of werewolf on our board
3.) You get a chance to see a number of folks in this thread who don't play WW games anymore
4.) I'm was stunned there was not more thought on the Don's Son in this game. I would also add SackAttack to the list of people that I have a hard time reading when you compare this game and Star Wars
Old 08-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
mccollins
College Prospect

I was reading the Survivor game yesterday. I've considered trying to make a 'Big Brother' (the reality TV show) WW game and I needed some ideas for how to run "competitions" - Barkeep did an awesome job of making some fun ones (but was this well-received? I saw some people complaining that it didn't feel like WW.).

Some interesting stuff in there. This is shortly after the Blade/Bek crap and Blade was in this game and numerous people mention the misdeeds, but it doesn't seem like everyone knows and Blade consistently plays dumb about it.

On top of that, Poli (with venom) and Tyrith (at first playing dumb) go to absolute war over what turned out to be Tyrith checking the post counts of a thread he wasn't supposed to be in. It seems there was a lot of meta-gaming going on back in these days; if it still goes on as much today then people don't seem to talk about it as much.

It was cool to see people around a year and a half ago. I still don't always have a good idea of who has been around forever, who is returning, and who is brand new these days.

Last edited by mccollins : 08-01-2008 at 08:40 PM. Reason: link to game
mccollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:41 PM   #5
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccollins View Post
I was reading the Survivor game yesterday. I've considered trying to make a 'Big Brother' (the reality TV show) WW game and I needed some ideas for how to run "competitions" - Barkeep did an awesome job of making some fun ones (but was this well-received? I saw some people complaining that it didn't feel like WW.).

Some interesting stuff in there. This is shortly after the Blade/Bek crap and Blade was in this game and numerous people mention the misdeeds, but it doesn't seem like everyone knows and Blade consistently plays dumb about it.

On top of that, Poli (with venom) and Tyrith (at first playing dumb) go to absolute war over what turned out to be Tyrith checking the post counts of a thread he wasn't supposed to be in. It seems there was a lot of meta-gaming going on back in these days; if it still goes on as much today then people don't seem to talk about it as much.

It was cool to see people around a year and a half ago. I still don't always have a good idea of who has been around forever, who is returning, and who is brand new these days.

I am pretty new these days.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:09 PM   #6
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
It seems there was a lot of meta-gaming going on back in these days; if it still goes on as much today then people don't seem to talk about it as much.

By and large, I think we have a more relaxed group around here these days - people play to win in the thread, but respect the other players enough not to try and generate an unfair advantage. Similarly, while there is pressure applied in threads the discussions have not become as contentious as they were a couple of years back.

Just my two cents, I'm sure others have different opinions.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:41 PM   #7
Tyrith
College Starter

I totally wasn't metagaming FYI, I just have an excessive fondness for statistics and numbers
Tyrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #8
mccollins
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrith View Post
I totally wasn't metagaming FYI, I just have an excessive fondness for statistics and numbers

Call it what you want
mccollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:55 AM   #9
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I didn't really answer your questions and instead just left a smart comment.. so to try to actually answer your questions...

The Survivor game was pretty fun for me to play (as you can probably tell as I had somewhere around 1100-1200 posts that game), but it definitely did not feel like a WW game at all.. In fact, if I remember right, I was trying to convince the wolf that was on our team to give themselves and the rest of their teammates up early in the game with the promise of not lynching them and instead go after the other teams. He didn't really take that offer though until nearly the very end when he was a sitting duck though and it was too late.

The biggest problem from the survivor game was that the various challenges were fun, but some of them required alot of work in order to win, and for the people who were looking for more of a WW type game, they didn't really feel like putting in that much effort which caused an advantage for others. The game also gave a huge huge advantage to people being able to be online at the deadlines.. as I believe multiple multiple days multiple teams tried to submit their votes not at the last 10 minutes or even last minute, but instead within the last few seconds..

I think there probably is some interest in BK running a survivor2 again some time, and I'm not sure what he had in mind to address some of the various points from that game to improve on it, but it definitely was probably in the top 10 for memorable games that we've played, somewhat for good reasons, but also unfortunately because of one or two bad reasons also
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:13 AM   #10
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I think challenges can be done in a game. I think a Big Brother or a Survivor is certainly possible, but it's not for everyone. Anytime your transposing an existing game onto WW it might or might not be successful, as I think Pass has shown with his somewhat unsuccessful Clue and his far more successful Chess. Survivor was indeed a time intensive game, but as Spawn has just shown, just because it's time intensive doesn't mean people won't play and enjoy it.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:07 AM   #11
saldana
Pro Starter

that deadline extension was a total cluster...i totally screwed the pooch there...i was very upset with myself that night for almost ruining my own game.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:55 PM   #12
Tyrith
College Starter

Tombstone is still hilarious.
Tyrith is offline   Reply With Quote