Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: What sort of game should I run?
Halloween Party 6 85.71%
Something Else 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
Passacaglia
Coordinator

More Fake IDs?

For those not following along in the GM sign-up thread, I asked Barkeep49 about getting permission for an idea I had which would copycat what we just did in the last game, with people having fake IDs. We're okay to create more IDs if we want, but here's his opinion:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49
I do wonder about the wisdom of using the same anonymous mechanic two games in a row. I think it's a great occasional mechanic, but could really impact our forum if used regularly.

I definitely agree. One time is neat, but is two in a row a trend? I've got an idea that I think will make a fun WW theme which uses this fake ID concept, but I can also run something else if people are worried about it becoming a trend (or just don't want to do it again).

The theme is Halloween Party. Your fake ID is basically your costume. So if you want to come dressed as a Pumpkin, you'll have an ID called Pumpkin. Every Halloween Party has lame-os that don't wear a costume, so you're totally welcome to come as yourself, if you don't want to have to deal with using two IDs, or just can't think of a good costume. Also, you might be able to try dressing as another WW player. This would obviously require another WW player to volunteer to let someone else use their account for the game, so you wouldn't get to choose who you dress up as -- you just PM me that you want to dress as another WW player and I'll assign you someone if anyone volunteers -- otherwise, you'll have to choose something else.

So let me know what you think. Since it's Halloween time, I thought the theme was pretty timely and could be fun, but like I said, I don't want to make this an every game thing, or even bug people that are already sick of this mechanic. Poll coming.

Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
For those not following along in the GM sign-up thread, I asked Barkeep49 about getting permission for an idea I had which would copycat what we just did in the last game, with people having fake IDs. We're okay to create more IDs if we want, but here's his opinion:

I definitely agree. One time is neat, but is two in a row a trend? I've got an idea that I think will make a fun WW theme which uses this fake ID concept, but I can also run something else if people are worried about it becoming a trend (or just don't want to do it again).

The theme is Halloween Party. Your fake ID is basically your costume. So if you want to come dressed as a Pumpkin, you'll have an ID called Pumpkin. Every Halloween Party has lame-os that don't wear a costume, so you're totally welcome to come as yourself, if you don't want to have to deal with using two IDs, or just can't think of a good costume. Also, you might be able to try dressing as another WW player. This would obviously require another WW player to volunteer to let someone else use their account for the game, so you wouldn't get to choose who you dress up as -- you just PM me that you want to dress as another WW player and I'll assign you someone if anyone volunteers -- otherwise, you'll have to choose something else.

So let me know what you think. Since it's Halloween time, I thought the theme was pretty timely and could be fun, but like I said, I don't want to make this an every game thing, or even bug people that are already sick of this mechanic. Poll coming.

I thought the anonymity was nice, but the second login ID really drove me crazy for the most part to the point of not enjoying it at times due to my constantly mixing up windows while working. I think I am in the minority on that though, it seems most people really enjoyed it.

That said, I personally think any "unique" game mechanic that gets used too much ends up not being as "unique"

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I thought the anonymity was nice, but the second login ID really drove me crazy for the most part to the point of not enjoying it at times due to my constantly mixing up windows while working. I think I am in the minority on that though, it seems most people really enjoyed it.

That said, I personally think any "unique" game mechanic that gets used too much ends up not being as "unique"

Yeah, you were the first person I thought of when I made it optional. I think it works for the theme pretty well -- you can come in a costume, or just be yourself and chill.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

I for one, would welcome it again. Especially if our fake ID's are more like costumes than actual role playing.

I'd even consider letting someone else "dress up" as me.

Sounds fun
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

As a potentially helpful thought for the future, use two different browsers when you play a game with an anonymous ID. I normally run Firefox but used IE to play the game. It was the only IE window I had open and was very easy to identify. I also used a different color scheme to help with identification.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #6
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I think it could be fun, especially since I didn't play in the Marvel game. Although I don't know if I will be playing in this one either (hopefully)
Old 10-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #7
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
As a potentially helpful thought for the future, use two different browsers when you play a game with an anonymous ID. I normally run Firefox but used IE to play the game. It was the only IE window I had open and was very easy to identify. I also used a different color scheme to help with identification.

I can't do that when working. We don't allow web access to go through to FOFC from work (even the work around IP address and such are blocked). Since I am a network engineer I have a work around where I point one of my browsers through a back door to a proxy server I run. So when working i have one browser only able to get to FOFC Like I said though, I'm sure I am in the minority on this.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

I can understand Barkeep's worry here - using this mechanic too much could do away with a lot of the sense of community that's here. Personally I don't really mind either way - it's no benefit to me as I won't be able to hide my identity (one would have thought although the last game apparently dispells that notion). If it's not going to be tied to role-playing I guess I just don't really see much point in it, other than a gimmic. Dunno, basically.
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #9
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm on my hiatus, but I think the costume concept would be fun.

I also know Saldana was pretty juiced when he first thought this idea up so I think he needs to be given the option to run a game with alter egos at some point.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
Quicksilver
n00b

I wanna be lathum!
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #11
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

funny thing is... ive been wondering why every time i go to work, all the threads are unread

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #12
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I'm on my hiatus, but I think the costume concept would be fun.

I also know Saldana was pretty juiced when he first thought this idea up so I think he needs to be given the option to run a game with alter egos at some point.

I don't think that's an issue. No one said anything about refusing people the option of running a game like this. We're only talking about the next game, and if people think it will become too much of a trend if we do it twice in a row. A vote against the mechanic in this game doesn't relate to future games at all.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:21 PM   #13
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Oh and by the way, 25% of the characters in the game will have the ability to possess 1-3 other accounts each day, depending on my mood when I wake up. No one minds that, right?
Old 10-23-2008, 04:30 PM   #14
Passacaglia
Coordinator

No, but seriously, this will be a pretty straightforward game other than the costumes. Standard roles -- seer, bodyguard, duke, are there other roles that are standard? We've had so many crazy games I forget the standard roles. There will also be a 'costume peeker' who can see who's behind each costume.

It looks like this game will happen, by an overwhelming 5-0 majority. Please PM me with your costume ideas, rather than posting them. Also, if people can come up with 'paired' costumes, then they will be brothers who can PM each other and die together.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:45 PM   #15
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Oh right, and let me know if you would like to volunteer to have someone else use your ID, or if you would like to dress up as someone else (or both).
Old 10-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #16
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I'll close signups Monday at 10 AM Eastern, and Day 1 will end Tuesday, 4 PM Eastern. Every day after that will end 4 PM Eastern, with a 24-hour clock.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:33 PM   #17
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Oh and by the way, 25% of the characters in the game will have the ability to possess 1-3 other accounts each day, depending on my mood when I wake up. No one minds that, right?

So help me, I'll never play another game of werewolf again if my account is possessed!!!!

hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:01 PM   #18
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I can't do that when working. We don't allow web access to go through to FOFC from work (even the work around IP address and such are blocked). Since I am a network engineer I have a work around where I point one of my browsers through a back door to a proxy server I run. So when working i have one browser only able to get to FOFC Like I said though, I'm sure I am in the minority on this.

Can you open back door access for a VNC connection to a home computer?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:30 PM   #19
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

That's cool, but only if the possession lasts for a random number of days, from 4 days to eleven days inclusive.

Otherwise, this is a deal breaker for me.

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #20
Vision
H.S. Freshman Team

If the Vision were participating, I would elect to disguise myself as Crim.

Sadly, my presence will not be found in this endeavor.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:57 PM   #21
The Jackal
Coordinator

I guess I'm the only one that enjoys character possession.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:25 PM   #22
Tyrith
College Starter

Personally, as one of the behind the scenes guys from the last game, I'd be quite content if the false identity thing went away and stayed away for a while; it is both time consuming on both ends and a distraction to the village, whereas wolves typically have a much easier time staying focused on winning the game.
Tyrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:31 AM   #23
Subby
lolzcat

Just fyi - there is a vBulletin plug in that allows for fast switching between user ids.

It's called quick account switch - you can get it here.

Obviously it would have to be installed by Ryan S, but it might make games where you have anonymous identities a little easier to manage.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote