Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-06-2008, 04:47 AM   #251
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcizo View Post
Sorry but according to how I'm reading the rules, you can't. You don't scan a piece, you scan a person. You can't "clear" a piece directly, only through a process of elimination.

Say you're a knight, my understanding of the rules is that you send in an order, "Scan Narcizo" for example. Then if I control a piece that winds up next to your knight you get a message that says that I'm a villager. If I'm not in range you'll get a message saying your scan failed. Now if you do get a successful result then you know that the piece that I control must be visible to you so if I'm the only piece you can see, then
a) you're incredibly lucky , and
b) you know I control that piece.

Gotcha.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:18 AM   #252
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

no lynch (6) - path12 (161), KWhit (170), Barkeep49 (175), The Jackal (217), Lathum (225), Neon Chaos (245)
hoopsguy (3) - mccollins (177), PurdueBrad (193), RendeR (197)
The Jackal (2) - claphamsa (179), Narcizo (232)
Qwikshot (1) - jeheinz72 (159)
mccollins (1) - hoopsguy (180)
KWhit (1) - ntndeacon (226)
Barkeep49 (1) - Chief Rum (237)
RendeR (1) - Anxiety (238)

Not voted: Sonic Youth, Qwikshot, oliegirl, st.cronin

Why the hell couldn't the vote have gone like this last game? We'd have been in clover by this stage.
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:57 AM   #253
Sonic Youth
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm just leaving work, and will have to catch a bus home. Lucky for me I've got some reading material. The rules for this game. I'll leave a vote though.

Vote No Lynch.
Sonic Youth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:36 AM   #254
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
no lynch (6) - path12 (161), KWhit (170), Barkeep49 (175), The Jackal (217), Lathum (225), Neon Chaos (245)
The Jackal (2) - claphamsa (179), Narcizo (232)
KWhit (1) - ntndeacon (226)

Not voted: Sonic Youth, Qwikshot, oliegirl, st.cronin

Why the hell couldn't the vote have gone like this last game? We'd have been in clover by this stage.

This is what I have as well. Plus SY's vote.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:47 AM   #255
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

OK, at the risk of flogging a dead horse I'd like to point out that in this game there is actually less reason to vote "No Lynch" than in a standard game. What other game are you ever going to play where a villager has over 50% chance of voting to lynch an opponent on day one? If you don't think it's the correct tactic to follow in terms of nailing a wolf then at least see it from the point of view of helping your own team.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:55 AM   #256
hoopsguy
General Manager

Narcizo, frankly I'm just glad someone else sees the same thing I'm seeing on the "No Lynch". But I'm also done with that argument for Day 1; I've said my piece. If the same arguments appear on Day 2, and I'm still around, I'll probably go off the deep end.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:17 AM   #257
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Hoops, I'm not locked in on you but am amazed at the number of no lynches here. I went with you out of respect to your abilities both as a wolf and as an opponent (if we're opposite). I figure the same thing, that there is a greater than a 50% chance we're not on the same team and therefore we would be taking out a good player.

However, that being said, wtf is with all the no lynches. There is probably some fear out there of knocking off an important role but again, the odds of taking out wolves or even just an opponent are the strongest of any game I've played.

I may end up moving my vote but I don't know if it'll do any good anywhere else either at this point.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:35 AM   #258
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post

If noone moves, the Knights already have a clear view of everyone (if all the knights are good).

The Knights can see one space away (does this mean 360 degrees?), and any space where they can move.

Each Knight can see their adjacent Rook, Bishop, the three pawns in front of him, and the pawn in front of the Queen/King (depending on which side the knight is on).

Essentially, if noone moves the Knights can scan everyone.

So then the decision needs to be made, nobody move on turn one and knights use your scan on turn one. Moves should start on turn two, with the pawns moving in order to give the back lines the opportunity to move if they choose.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:36 AM   #259
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Damn no edit, by turn one I mean of the several night turns there are, not nobody move at all day one. Hopefully this is clearer.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:37 AM   #260
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Holy Christ it is early and I need an edit button. Try this:

Hopefully this is more clear.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:42 AM   #261
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Old 05-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #262
Barkeep49
Coordinator

I'm fine with not moving, but I think there's no way, at this late date, that we'll be able to coordinate that and the knights should not count on that happening.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:57 AM   #263
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
OK, at the risk of flogging a dead horse I'd like to point out that in this game there is actually less reason to vote "No Lynch" than in a standard game. What other game are you ever going to play where a villager has over 50% chance of voting to lynch an opponent on day one? If you don't think it's the correct tactic to follow in terms of nailing a wolf then at least see it from the point of view of helping your own team.

The objective for both teams is not to eliminate everyone from the other team. It's to kill the opposing King, not eliminate all the other team members.

Sure, it could be easier to to win by killing off the other team's members, but when it comes down to it, it's a chess match... only the King needs to die, and he can't be lynched or killed by wolves.

Voting for no lynch ensures that the Wolves are going to have a harder time killing everyone off, without exactly jeopardizing the objectives of both sides.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:58 AM   #264
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

If I have learned anything playing WW it's that there is no way possible to coordinate anything in a game with this many people.

I predict a fustercluck.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:02 AM   #265
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Actually Chief Rum managed it in the Rome game with about 20 people still alive. Unfortunately it played right into the hands of the wolves.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:10 AM   #266
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Voting for no lynch ensures that the Wolves are going to have a harder time killing everyone off, without exactly jeopardizing the objectives of both sides.

Fair enough if you believe that one or other side can organise themselves effectively enough (or be lucky enough) to take out the opponent's king when the wolves will be seeking to prevent it from happening. Otherwise the wolves just chip away at us.

And you know that no-one is going to be voting no lynch tomorrow, when, if we're to follow this rationale, we should be voting no lynch every day.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:11 AM   #267
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You know what's funny?

Hoops pulled up a bunch of posts from the hero's game about no lynch's and I was the one driving the no lynch day one that game, and I was a wolf.

Just sayin'
Old 05-06-2008, 08:13 AM   #268
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Lathum, ever helpfull.....

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:16 AM   #269
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
Lathum, ever helpfull.....

yeah, I got nothing. I have no clue whats happening. Just trying to make it look like I am somewhat involved.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:18 AM   #270
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Holy Christ it is early and I need an edit button. Try this:

Hopefully this is more clear.

Problems with expression aside I don't think the knights can decide when they scan. I presume they do so at the end of the turn (phase 8) after everyone has moved and when it's decided who they can see.

And I hope I've also shown that the knights scanning when no-one has moved is far from ideal anyway and that the knights want to be trying to adopt a more centralised position on the board.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:18 AM   #271
mccollins
College Prospect

Quote:
Sorry but according to how I'm reading the rules, you can't. You don't scan a piece, you scan a person. You can't "clear" a piece directly, only through a process of elimination.

Say you're a knight, my understanding of the rules is that you send in an order, "Scan Narcizo" for example. Then if I control a piece that winds up next to your knight you get a message that says that I'm a villager. If I'm not in range you'll get a message saying your scan failed. Now if you do get a successful result then you know that the piece that I control must be visible to you so if I'm the only piece you can see, then
a) you're incredibly lucky , and
b) you know I control that piece.

This is how I understand the knights to work as well. Very hit and miss. You only have a chance at less than a quarter of the participants being around you.

If we moved to where all the knights could see each piece as Narcizo originally suggested, all 4 knights would need to scan the same player name to be sure that one of them found the person.
mccollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:30 AM   #272
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Which isn't practicle and probably not ideal anyway as there would be a 90% chance of getting at least one right and, erm, some lesser chance of getting two or more if the knights check up on different people. In fact I'd suggest that the knight pairs agree to scan different people.

This is all by the by anyway as Lathum has pointed out, it's nigh on impossible to get people organised enough to try to implement any sort of plan. I actually though I had a chance with the neutral zone thingy but I doubt it now. All I can say is that I recommend that the knights get themselves in a position where there's likely to be a lot of friendly pieces and that other villagers make an effort to be within range of the knights. And that people don't trust their PM partners.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:33 AM   #273
st.cronin
General Manager

I'm with Narc and hoopsguy, hate the no lynch in this game. I'll be voting for one of the no-lynchers:

VOTE KWHIT

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:35 AM   #274
st.cronin
General Manager

Narc, for now, I'm sticking with your plan. Not because I trust you, just because I'm not willing to move out yet.

knives out
Old 05-06-2008, 09:00 AM   #275
KWhit
Coordinator

My original No Lynch vote was assuming that we could move around the board and know who was who. Pass dispelled that notion which killed my initial thoughts on a strategy. Now, honestly, I'm not sure what the right course of action is.

I do know that the bishops are EXTREMELY important pieces as they will be able to find out the color of the players - a fact much more important than finding out who the wolves are, IMO.

I'm going to change my vote and actually lynch someone. Of the two top candidates, I think I'll vote for The Jackal. I'd like to keep hoops around a little while to help discuss and formulate a strategy as I can't really come up with a good one yet and I usually like the analysis he brings to the table.

Unvote No Lynch
Vote The Jackal
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #276
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Anyone have a count?

And anyone know why we're letting people who haven't even checked in continue to live?
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #277
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

unvote NoLynch
VOte The Jackyl

I hate no lynch
Old 05-06-2008, 09:32 AM   #278
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeheinz72 View Post
Anyone have a count?

And anyone know why we're letting people who haven't even checked in continue to live?

Who hasn't checked in yet?

knives out
Old 05-06-2008, 09:36 AM   #279
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Who hasn't checked in yet?

I don't think Qwik has that's why I picked him yesterday before I split (1 post in the thread)

I'm definitely not voting No Lynch, I don't like that option in this game one bit.

But I'd way prefer killing an inactive person and risking a mistake with someone who isn't posting anyways then risking it with someone who might/will contribute.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:37 AM   #280
hoopsguy
General Manager

I would think scanning different people is the way to go, barring one of the knight pairs being particularly intent on getting a scan in on a particular player.

Even if they do want to scan the same guy, there is a 50% chance he is on the other side of the board to start. Potentially it might make sense to flip-flop scans from D1 to D2 - if he isn't close to one of the pair, then he is mathematically more likely to be close to the other one (assuming that the target starts on the same side of the board).
Old 05-06-2008, 10:00 AM   #281
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

no lynch (5) - path12 (161), Barkeep49 (175), The Jackal (217), Neon Chaos (245), Sonic Youth (253)

The Jackal (4) - claphamsa (179), Narcizo (232), KWhit (275), Lathum (277)

KWhit (2) - ntndeacon (226), st.cronin (273)

Not voted: Qwikshot, oliegirl
Old 05-06-2008, 10:02 AM   #282
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Can someone recap for me the case against Jackal? I know clap's vote was random, Narcizo's was due to his quote on game mechanic but KWhit's and Lathum's votes seem strange to me

I think I get the case against hoops, the whole anti-no-lynch thing. Is that it? I can't say I'd vote there since I tend to agree No Lynch is a bad idea made even worse in this game.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:08 AM   #283
hoopsguy
General Manager

Case on Jackal - appears to be looking for the vote that makes the fewest waves.

Case on me - I'll let someone else give it as I'm a little biased in my interpretation of the facts.

Just as fair warning - I'll look to move my vote (provided I'm around to do it, which isn't a lock) in self-defense if I need to do that. And I'm also willing to reveal my role, if required, to try and ensure that we make a good decision. Hopefully my "chat buddy" will be around in order to vouch for my reveal if I'm put in that position.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #284
st.cronin
General Manager

I think people are voting Jackal because they don't want no-lynch, and are either not crazy about the case against hoopsguy, or would like more than one candidate in play.

knives out
Old 05-06-2008, 10:10 AM   #285
st.cronin
General Manager

I just want to say that voting no lynch in this particular game seems incredibly stupid to me.

knives out
Old 05-06-2008, 10:12 AM   #286
Sonic Youth
H.S. Freshman Team

Having now read through the thread, phew, this games looks to be involved. It's definitely not going to be a straight forward game. Having two boards is going to make things interesting too. Having lots of people being able to 'see' so far I'm not sure how that's going to pan out. Does that mean they can see anyone in those directions that they can move in? Maybe. It could also mean that they can only see the spaces in the direction they move down. Hmm. Or I could just be thick.

I'm changing my vote to Hoops too, as this then balances teh votes. It'll then be interesting to see how things stay one way or another too after mine.

Unvote No Lynch.
Vote Hoops.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #287
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Can someone recap for me the case against Jackal? I know clap's vote was random, Narcizo's was due to his quote on game mechanic but KWhit's and Lathum's votes seem strange to me

I think I get the case against hoops, the whole anti-no-lynch thing. Is that it? I can't say I'd vote there since I tend to agree No Lynch is a bad idea made even worse in this game.

It's day one. There's no real case for anybody. I don't know why my vote would seem strange to you.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #288
hoopsguy
General Manager

Color me less than thrilled to be the "bait" in a "lets see where they move" gambit. I get the logic, but if Jackal is a wolf then I'm in a nasty spot here between him and "No Lynch".

If Jackal isn't a wolf then we've got two villagers lined up and the wolves are enjoying a very relaxing Day 1.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #289
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Well, seems like the No Lynch option is gone now. It still makes sense to me that we should have been ableto not kill each other off and played the chess game instead of playing to the wolves' hands.Might as well create a close game. I guess this will force hoops to move his vote.

Unvote No Lynch.

Vote Hoops.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:17 AM   #290
hoopsguy
General Manager

Neon, I'll move it to Jackal because that is the only option available to me.

UNVOTE MCCOLLINS
VOTE JACKAL
Old 05-06-2008, 10:18 AM   #291
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

hmmm, SY's vote seems designed to save Jackyl
Old 05-06-2008, 10:21 AM   #292
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
It's day one. There's no real case for anybody. I don't know why my vote would seem strange to you.

It kinda smells of "well everyone else is going here so I'll just fit in"
Old 05-06-2008, 10:22 AM   #293
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

The Jackal (5) - claphamsa (179), Narcizo (232), KWhit (275), Lathum (277), hoopsguy (290)

hoopsguy (5) - mccollins (177), PurdueBrad (193), RendeR (197), Sonic Youth (286), Neon Chaos (289)

no lynch (3) - path12 (161), Barkeep49 (175), The Jackal (217)

KWhit (2) - ntndeacon (226), st.cronin (273)

Not voted: Qwikshot, oliegirl
Old 05-06-2008, 10:23 AM   #294
hoopsguy
General Manager

Lathum, I'm honestly not sure what to make of the runs we are seeing here. I know that there isn't any good reason for a "wolf-driven" run to save me (I would expect the opposite) but the momentum swung pretty heavily towards Jackal this morning and now it seems to be evening out.

There is lots of time left, but if this was fifteen minutes to deadline I would be guessing that we've got two villagers up for vote and that the wolves are doing their best to stay low profile right now.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:25 AM   #295
Sonic Youth
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
hmmm, SY's vote seems designed to save Jackyl
Just evening out the overall vote, though I easily could have voted Jackyl. No preference this early in the game.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:26 AM   #296
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
It kinda smells of "well everyone else is going here so I'll just fit in"

To me it just makes sense that if I'm going to vote for someone, I should vote for one of the two top vote getters. It's dumb to throw a vote away on a third candidate when it's all just guesswork at this point.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:28 AM   #297
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Quote:
To me it just makes sense that if I'm going to vote for someone, I should vote for one of the two top vote getters. It's dumb to throw a vote away on a third candidate when it's all just guesswork at this point.

I'd agree with that, I'm just saying that I worry we're just taking the first two candidates and not the best two candidates, ya know?
Old 05-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #298
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

I hate this reasoning. Vote for the guy you want to see get lynched, not somebody that other people want to see get lynched. There's several hours til deadline, we could see all sorts of movement.

knives out
Old 05-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #299
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

I'd have to ask the folks who are just voting for one of the two lead vote getters: "What is your plan come tomorrow when Qwik quite possibly still hasn't checked in?"

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill here, I dunno, I've just been burned by this in the past and I was so pissed about it that I look for the no-check-in folks.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:34 AM   #300
path12
Coordinator

Looks like no lynch is off the table. I'll switch to my default day 1 vote.

UNVOTE NO LYNCH
VOTE QWIKSHOT