Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post

[ooc]Sorry, I've come to despise Day 1 in my short WW career. It seems like taking a random shot in the dark is as good as anything, and if it's going to be random, it may as well be in character. I will change it if I see something better during the day.[/ooc]

[ooc] Welcome to the club - now, how do you create a game where you skip directly to Day 2? Or at least make Day 1 more interesting? Sounds like a good premise for my next moderating adventure, whenever it rolls around.[/ooc]

hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Scourge of Day 1

Since I'm not playing in Abe's game, and really it doesn't belong there, I thought I'd move some of the discussion about D1 here.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Beep?

Seriously, what can you ask of day 1?
Old 07-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I hate people who vote for established people on Day One. Well, this is my standing Day One vote whenever he/she plays. Annoying. You can't get a read on a person when they do that.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I hate people who vote for established people on Day One. Well, this is my standing Day One vote whenever he/she plays. Annoying. You can't get a read on a person when they do that.
That's as good of a reason to do it...not to "annoy" you, but to keep someone from "reading" you.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
The Jackal
Coordinator

I think it's gonna be hard to shift any of our dynamics on day 1. People vote for each other randomly, or have the standing votes/voting for previous game reasons. Then by midday there's generally an agreement to consolidate onto 2-3 people to try and see what kind of vote movement happens.

Hard to see what we could do to have viable information come into play in Day 1 voting decisions - you're not supposed to know anything on Day 1.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
The Jackal
Coordinator

The other votes you see are votes for people that haven't checked in, and occasionally someone hasn't played with clap and thinks he's being weird, you know, stuff like that.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:16 AM   #8
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

but i am wierd.....

and i have no set day one vote, usualy just toss out a name,

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #9
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Beep?

Seriously, what can you ask of day 1?
I think hoops brings up a point in the newly copied post 1. I'm not sure you can "fix" D1 voting, but I think you can make it more interesting. Of course then you run-up against having some sort of "complicated" mechanic.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #10
The Jackal
Coordinator

The real question you need to ask is what do you want to achieve with this? Avoiding baseless lynches? No lynch solves that problem. But then if you have a no lynch, where's the voting history on day 1 when there's dwindling people left ? - there wouldn't be one.

Even though Day 1 votes are usually a crapshoot, the wolves have to vote at some point.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:41 AM   #11
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

What about something like this.

D1 vote leader doesn't get lynched but gets their role revealed by GM and stays in the game. If it is a wolf they gain the brutal ability ( since they obviously will be killed next day)
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- the reason for the wolves getting a brutal is because if the village lynches a vanilla villager it is a benefit for them, so the wolves should get some sort of equal advantage.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #13
hoopsguy
General Manager

I don't have many hard and fast rules on Day 1. However, I do have players that I will just about never vote for on Day 1 without a reallygood reason. Alan T and Dubb93 (when he was playing, he seems to be on another break) are two guys that fit into that category.

Other than that, low volume poster over high volume poster if I'm looking for a tie-breaker. But I try to rationalize something rather than going to this logic, if at all possible.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #14
path12
Coordinator

Hate hate hate it. Always just look for people who haven't checked in.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:07 PM   #15
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
[ooc] Welcome to the club - now, how do you create a game where you skip directly to Day 2? Or at least make Day 1 more interesting? Sounds like a good premise for my next moderating adventure, whenever it rolls around.[/ooc]

That was the idea behind the Jail in my tombstone game. You didn't actually lynch anyone on Day 1, you could only lock them up in jail (to prevent them from doing anything else or get more info about them or whatever). Then day 2 you could lynch them if you wanted.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:50 PM   #16
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I actually like day 1 more than the attempts at day 0. If there is a day that I don't have an action I am supposed to do, then it seems like we haven't really started.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #17
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

D1 vote leader doesn't get lynched but gets their role revealed by GM and stays in the game. If it is a wolf they gain the brutal ability ( since they obviously will be killed next day)

I like this. The downside is it extends the game since there isn't a kill during the day and is the trade-off worth enough to offset the wolves getting the first kill in place of villagers? To offset that maybe you could say N1 wolves don't get a kill, but they choose a villager at random and learn their role (although this again extends the game length). Depending on how many unique villager roles there are, that may be too strong though.

By the way, for the vets out there, has there been a D1 where a wolf was lynched? I haven't followed along for very long but in recent games and in some past games I've looked at, I don't think I've seen one where a villager wasn't lynched the first day.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #18
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
I like this. The downside is it extends the game since there isn't a kill during the day and is the trade-off worth enough to offset the wolves getting the first kill in place of villagers? To offset that maybe you could say N1 wolves don't get a kill, but they choose a villager at random and learn their role (although this again extends the game length). Depending on how many unique villager roles there are, that may be too strong though.

By the way, for the vets out there, has there been a D1 where a wolf was lynched? I haven't followed along for very long but in recent games and in some past games I've looked at, I don't think I've seen one where a villager wasn't lynched the first day.

Sure, there have been wolves lynched on the first day. We've had wolf vs wolf runoffs on day one.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:18 PM   #19
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Great minds think alike. I was coming in to post this very idea. I like this a lot.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:35 PM   #20
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

we've had pretty much every crazy combination you could imagine day 1.