Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-09-2010, 07:03 AM   #1
Edward64
Head Coach

2010 Heisman Trophy

Didn't see the 2010 annual thread so decided to start one. Candidates as of week 9/6 are

Boise State's Kellen Moore tops QB-heavy Heisman Watch - Cory McCartney - SI.com
Quote:
1. QB Kellen Moore, Jr., Boise State
Last Week: 23-of-38 passing, 214 yards, three touchdowns; two rushes, minus-18 yards in a 33-30 win over Virginia Tech

2. QB Ryan Mallett, Jr., Arkansas
Last Week: 21-of-24, 301 yards, three TDs, 1 INT; three rushes, zero yards in a 44-3 win over Tennessee Tech

3. QB Terrelle Pryor, Jr., Ohio State
Last Week: 17-of-23, 247 yards, three TDs; eight rushes, 17 yards in a 45-7 win over Marshall

4. QB Case Keenum, Sr., Houston
Last Week: 17-of-22, 274 yards, five TDs, two INTs; two rushes, 16 yards in a 68-28 win over Texas State

5. RB Kendall Hunter, Sr., Oklahoma State
Last Week: 21 rushes, 257 yards, four TDs; three receptions, minus-three yards in a 65-17 win over Washington State

6. QB Cameron Newton, Jr., Auburn
Last Week: 9-of-14, 186 yards, three TDs; 15 rushes, 171 yards, two TDs in a 52-26 win over Arkansas State

7. RB DeMarco Murray, Sr., Oklahoma
Last Week: 35 rushes, 218 yards, two TDs in 31-24 win over Utah State

8. QB Denard Robinson, Soph., Michigan
Last Week: 19-of-22, 186 yards, one TD; 29 rushes, 197 yards, one TD in a 30-10 win over Connecticut

9. QB Andrew Luck, Jr., Stanford
Last Week: 17-of-23, 316 yards, four TDs; three rushes, eight yards in a 52-17 win over Sacramento State

10. CB/KR Patrick Peterson, Jr., LSU
Last Week: Four punt returns, 157 yards, one TD; three kick returns, 100 yards; five tackles, ½ tackle for loss in a 30-24 win over North Carolina

I think we need to be in a couple games of conference play before it starts to shake out. Am rooting for Mallett but he has not yet proven himself in the big games.

Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #2
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

is this trophy relevant to anybody but ESPN?
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:00 AM   #3
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post

Fred Goldman
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:18 AM   #4
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post

Bitter Texas fan?
Old 09-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I'm excited to see Cam Newton tonight. He sounds like what Michigan fans are hoping (and claiming) Denard Robinson is.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I'm excited to see Cam Newton tonight. He sounds like what Michigan fans are hoping (and claiming) Denard Robinson is.

I don't talk to a lot of other Michigan fans these days, but I think putting Robinson in a list of 10 or so Heisman candidates is silly. Then again, Forcier was mentioned on some Heisman lists I saw last year, which was equally silly IMO.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:10 PM   #7
SackAttack
Head Coach

Is Jake Locker not in consideration?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I don't talk to a lot of other Michigan fans these days, but I think putting Robinson in a list of 10 or so Heisman candidates is silly. Then again, Forcier was mentioned on some Heisman lists I saw last year, which was equally silly IMO.

They are taking the top 10 "stars" of week one and making a list. After week 1, the list looks pretty good to me. I seriously doubt it'll look like that after week two, but for a week one list, I'm ok with it.

Sack,

Lockler had a subpar game against BYU. He can still get back in the race, but he'll need monster games against Nebraska, USC, Stanford and Oregon to do it. That loss hurt him badly.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Locker had a subpar game against BYU. ... That loss hurt him badly.
I know, I know, he's "improving vastly" under "QB guru" Sarkisian, and he was banged up a lot, but when do his career 54% completion percentage and <3.5 ypc the past 3 seasons start to hurt him? [/ducks]
Old 09-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I know, I know, he's "improving vastly" under "QB guru" Sarkisian, and he was banged up a lot, but when do his career 54% completion percentage and <3.5 ypc the past 3 seasons start to hurt him? [/ducks]
Is the Heisman a career award or a yearly award?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #11
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Is the Heisman a career award or a yearly award?

Ron Dayne and Cedric Benson would probably lean toward it being a career award.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
Schmidty
Coordinator

Seeing Denard Robinson on there makes me chuckle. I think it's funny that with the state of UM football right now, they still get way too much respect. He'll come down to earth fairly soon.

Edit: I thought I was over my over-the-top hatred of Michigan. I guess I'm not.

Last edited by Schmidty : 09-09-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:33 PM   #13
Schmidty
Coordinator

Dola.

I hope Locker can come back and win it. He's from here and still comes around a lot and helps in the community. Nice kid.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:30 AM   #14
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Which of these ten is most likely to be asked to return the trophy five years from now if they win it?
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:42 AM   #15
lungs
Pro Rookie

John Clay will win it.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #16
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

No love for Christian Ponder?
Old 09-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #17
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Seeing Denard Robinson on there makes me chuckle. I think it's funny that with the state of UM football right now, they still get way too much respect. He'll come down to earth fairly soon.

Edit: I thought I was over my over-the-top hatred of Michigan. I guess I'm not.

The Michigan bashsers are out in full force this year. It's funny how 90% of them thought UConn would beat them, and then when Michigan runs over the top of em how they are a bad team and Robinson is going to come back down to earth.

All I know is that "Shoelace" rushed for close to 200 yards, threw for close to 200 yards and his negatives for the entire day consisted of 3 incomplete passes.

No, he won't win the Heisman. No, I don't expect him to be invited to NY for the ceremony. Yes, he's going to drop off, that's fairly obvious.

Laughing at him being on the top ten list now? I'd be laughing at any list that didn't have him.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #18
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
No love for Christian Ponder?

The two names I were surprised weren't on the list were both QB's from Florida. Ponder and Harris are both studs.

Cameron Newton will fall out of the top ten after last night. I expect Peterson will fall off as well. A bad game in ND and Shoelace will be off the list. One bad game will wipe out someone like Hunter or Keenum as well.

That will give both Ponder, Harris and Clay chances to jump into the top 10 next week.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #19
Edward64
Head Coach

Mallett didn't hurt his changes with 400 yard passing and 3 touchdown day. Let see how he does against UGA. Denard was super good against ND.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #20
Danny
Head Coach

You guys sure were right on about Robinson :P
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #21
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
You guys sure were right on about Robinson :P

Let's see how that body holds up running it 30 times a game.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #22
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Is that seriously the best comeback you have to that?
Old 09-13-2010, 10:20 AM   #23
whomario
Pro Starter

i know little about college football, so this is not a prediction but just a cool little picture ...

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #24
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Is that seriously the best comeback you have to that?

What else does anyone have right now? I mean, the guy has played two games and has 885 total yards of offense, 5 TD, 0 turnovers, a punt that was downed at the four yard line, and he accounted for every play and yard of a 12 play, 72 yard drive to win at ND.

He hasn't played against Ohio State or Alabama. On the other side of it, he hasn't played against La-Monroe or Tennessee Tech either. (not bashing on Mallet here, just pointing out his stats are a tad more impressive right now)

The only thing a basher can say at this point is "he's going to break down"

And he might break down. The bashers are going to have to hope he does. His next three are UMass, Bowling Green and Indiana. I doubt his performance in those games will drop him off the top ten in the Heisman lists. After that they have Michigan State, Iowa and @ Penn State. That's the area he'll either cement his place in NY or wash out of the race.

For the first two weeks, he's been the most exciting player in college football. He'd rank #1 on my list after last week. (I still think Mallett, Pryor or Luck will likely win it, but time will tell)
Old 09-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #25
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Very well put. Robinson is simply the most jaw dropping player in college football this year so far. I'm not a Michigan fan, but I'm rooting for him to stay healthy and do well.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 09-13-2010 at 10:53 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #26
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
he accounted for every play and yard of a 12 play, 72 yard drive to win at ND.

This little stat that they kept dropping after the ND game... who gives a shit? He's the QB, of COURSE he accounted for all of the plays and yards. You don't hear them say that about a 7 play, all passing, 97 yard TD drive that some other QB put together... "hey, the QB accounted for all the yards!" Just because he put a few runs together, does it really matter that he was the player behind the whole drive? What about the wide outs? Do they get no credit on the catches? If you want to say that his runs were key to the drive, that's different.

That said, even as an OSU fan I will give it to Robinson. Great performances so far.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #27
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Robinson has been awesome. He really has been an electrifying player so far this season. He would have to be the Heisman front runner at the moment. That said, it's only two games into the season. I remember people murmuring about Tate Forcier as a potential Heisman candidate after week 2 or 3 last year.

While I think Robinson is a better player than Forcier, I remain cautiously optimistic that he can continue to be the player he has been for the first two weeks, once he starts facing stiffer competition and teams have more time to game plan against him.

Still, it's been a joy to watch him play these last two weeks.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #28
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
This little stat that they kept dropping after the ND game... who gives a shit? He's the QB, of COURSE he accounted for all of the plays and yards. You don't hear them say that about a 7 play, all passing, 97 yard TD drive that some other QB put together... "hey, the QB accounted for all the yards!" Just because he put a few runs together, does it really matter that he was the player behind the whole drive? What about the wide outs? Do they get no credit on the catches? If you want to say that his runs were key to the drive, that's different.

That said, even as an OSU fan I will give it to Robinson. Great performances so far.

the point is that in a lot of cases, running backs pick up comes of the yardage with runs. It's fairly rare that you have a 12 play drive where the QB accounts for all of the yards.

And you might show me otherwise, but I don't really remember a 7 play, 97 yard game winning drive where the QB didn't get 95% of the credit.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #29
Edward64
Head Coach

Michigan's Denard Robinson vaults into top spot - Cory McCartney - SI.com
Quote:
1. QB Denard Robinson, Michigan, Soph.
Last Week: 24-of-40 passing for 244 yards, one TD; 28 rushes for 258 yards, two TDs in a 28-24 win over Notre Dame.
Season: 43-of-62 passing for 430 yards, two TDs; 57 rushes for 455 yards, three TDs.

2. QB Terrelle Pryor, Ohio State, Jr.
Last Week: 12-of-27 passing for 233 yards, one TD; 20 rushes for 113 yards, one TD in a 36-24 win over Miami.
Season: 29-of-52 passing for 480 yards, four TDs; 28 rushes for 130 yards, one TD.

3. QB Ryan Mallett, Arkansas, Jr.
Last Week: 28-of-43 passing for 400 yards, three TDs, one INT; six rushes for one yard, one TD in a 31-7 win over Louisiana Monroe.
Season: 49-of-67 passing for 701 yards, six TDs, two INTs; nine rushes for one yard, one TD.

4. QB Kellen Moore, Boise State, Jr.
Last Week: Idle.
Season: 23-of-38 passing for 215 yards, three TDs; two rushes for minus-19 yards.

5. QB Cameron Newton, Auburn, Jr.
Last Week: 11-of-19 passing for 136 yards, two TDs, one INT; 18 rushes for 70 yards in a 17-14 win over Mississippi State.
Season: 20-of-33 passing for 322 yards, five TDs, one INT; 33 rushes for 241 yards, two TDs.

6. QB Case Keenum, Houston, Sr.
Last Week: 15-of-24 for 279 yards, one INT; one rush for 10 yards in a 54-24 win over UTEP.
Season: 32-of-46 for 553 yards, five TDs and three INTs; three rushes for 26 yards.

7. RB Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State, Sr.
Last Week: 28 rushes for 157 yards, two TDs; five catches for 15 yards in 41-38 win over Troy.
Season: 49 rushes for 414 yards, six TDs; eight catches for 11 yards.

8. RB Trent Richardson, Alabama, Soph.
Last Week: 22 rushes for 144 yards, one TD; four catches for 46 yards in a 24-3 win over Penn State.
Season: 32 rushes for 210 yards, three TDs; seven catches for 92 yards.

9. QB Landry Jones, Oklahoma, Jr.
Last Week: 30-of-40 passing for 380 yards, four TDs; four rushes for minus-1 yard in a 47-17 win over Florida State.
Season: 47-of-76 passing for 597 yards, six TDs, two INTs; seven rushes for minus-32 yards.

10. RB Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina, Fr.
Last Week: 37 rushes for 182 yards, two TDs; one catch for 16 yards in a 17-6 win over Georgia.
Season: 51 rushes for 236 yards, four TDs; three catches for 37 yards.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #30
Edward64
Head Coach

Somewhat off topic but related.

Reggie Bush to forfeit 2005 Heisman Trophy – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs
Quote:
Former University of Southern California star running back Reggie Bush has decided to forfeit the Heisman Trophy he won in 2005, according to a statement on the website of his pro team, the New Orleans Saints.

The decision comes two months after the NCAA ruled Bush had violated rules by accepting gifts, cash and other benefits while he played for USC - violations that would have affected his eligibility.

Is this is like resigning vs being fired?

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-14-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #31
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Sheesh... I hate to continue a possible derailing, but in reading an article on Newsweek, I ran across one of the best lines ever in print (My bold for emphasis...):

Quote:
But it’s time to come to the defense of Reggie Bush. This Trojan needs protection.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:03 PM   #32
TroyF
Coordinator

Figured I would bump this one up now that we are 4 to 5 weeks in.

Right now there is #1 and everyone else.

If he slips up, I like LaMichael James to make a run at it. Pryor has some huge games coming up and could get back in the conversation as well.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #33
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Best player in football this year is Patrick Peterson. I'd say my personal top 5 would be:

1. Denard
2. Peterson
3. James
4. Pryor
5. Moore
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #34
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Best player in football this year is Patrick Peterson. I'd say my personal top 5 would be:

1. Denard
2. Peterson
3. James
4. Pryor
5. Moore

And with one of the top five picks in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Detroit Lions select...

Patrick Peterson, cornerback, Lousianna State University.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #35
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
And with one of the top five picks in the 2011 NFL Draft, the Detroit Lions select...

Patrick Peterson, cornerback, Lousianna State University.

One can only hope.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:08 PM   #36
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

1. Denard
2. Peterson
3. James
4. Pryor
5. Moore

We all know it doesn't go to the best player, it goes to the best QB/RB/WR.

If it goes to a corner, he'd better be leading a historically great defense or have a boatload of offensive/special teams plays.

Even with Peterson in the mix, I'd have to give the edge to shoelace right now. Michigan is at best 2-3 without him. He's had two games of 200+ rushing and passing yards in his first five starts, more than anyone else has had in their career.

Still time for him to get hurt (he takes a ton of hits), fall off (the competition is going to get better starting this week), or just fall off (he couldn't complete 70% against the same group of teams with a do over, could he?)
Old 10-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #37
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Robinson is a joy to watch. He really is. He is an electric a college football player as I have seen in a long time. As the facts have shown, he has the ability to score from anywhere on the field at any time. Granted, he's done so primarily against less-than opposition, hopefully he will be able to keep it up against the stouter defenses in the Big Ten.

I don't think there is any single player more important to his team right now than Denard. In fact, I think they should replace Greg Robinson with Denard Robison. Denard has to be a better DC than Greg. He really couldn't be any worse.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #38
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

I don't think there is any single player more important to his team right now than Denard. In fact, I think they should replace Greg Robinson with Denard Robison. Denard has to be a better DC than Greg. He really couldn't be any worse.

QFT

And this team isn't 2-3 without Denard, they're 0-5 likely. I don't know why they even bother to play defense. They should just play some crazy defense scheme that will either make a big play or give up a big play since they're not capable of stopping anyone...that way Denard would get more time on offense and could go for even crazier stats
Old 10-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #39
bronconick
College Starter

The problem is that Michigan is going to finish 8-4 probably and Robinson's last game is going to likely involve his "worst" game of the year against the Ohio State defense. Meanwhile, Terrell Pryor is going to tool along on his way to a 12-0 regular season, and he'll Troy Smith his way into the Heisman. Ingram's eliminated because too many old men voting won't let him in the same mention as Archie Griffith, Kellen Moore's school sucks, Oregon doesn't have anyone known enough in the East, and outside of Robinson, and no player outside of the BCS title hunt is actually eligible anymore.

Last edited by bronconick : 10-05-2010 at 12:34 AM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:34 PM   #40
MrBug708
Head Coach

If the East doesnt know about Oregon's James, then they really shouldn't be watching any college football
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:12 AM   #41
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
If the East doesnt know about Oregon's James, then they really shouldn't be watching any college football
Maybe they think that a player suspended for part of the season for domestic violence doesn't fulfill the "integrity" portion of the Heisman criteria. Or maybe the West Coast/next big thing loving hype machine spent all offseason hyping Jake Locker instead of James, Andrew Luck, or even Kellen Moore. Maybe they heard about Kenyon Barner going off when James was suspended and figured he was more a product of the system a la Colt Brennan or Case Keenum than the superlative player his stats make him out to be. Or maybe half of them were in bed before halftime and the rest didn't watch the Stanford-Oregon game because it was relegated to ESPN2 SD for that incredibly important ND-BC matchup. (At least one of those reasons is mostly true, and sadly it's not the first one.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 10-05-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:25 AM   #42
MrBug708
Head Coach

I didn't mention Heisman in my post for a reason. But not knowing about James is pretty bad, even for the east coast. And I do find it odd that they dont know how good he is, but would be aware of his suspension this season

Last edited by MrBug708 : 10-05-2010 at 12:26 AM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:46 AM   #43
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Meanwhile, Terrell Pryor is going to tool along on his way to a 12-0 regular season, and he'll Troy Smith his way into the Heisman.

Troy Smith had an awesome year the year he won the Heisman (save the BCS game). Pryor is no Troy Smith.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:34 AM   #44
TroyF
Coordinator

Some quick points:

1) I don't think Pryor is going 12-0 this year. He has a great shot at the Heisman if Shoelace slips up, but I don't think they are going 12-0.

2) Ingram isn't going to miss out on the Heisman because of a bunch of old men. He's going to miss out on the Heisman because he missed 2 games and had under 50 yards in a third. And his backup has run just as well as he has against ranked opponents.

3) Barner played well against a team without a win. James outplayed him on national TV against the Vols. Then he went nuts against Stanford. He will play on national TV a minimum of three more times this year. Once on a Thursday against UCLA. Another time on a Friday against Arizona. (those nights he'll be the only show on tv) He also will get a national game against USC.

4) Were he to keep up his 8 yards a carry pace through the rest of the year, he'll be the guy who will get the award should Shoelace slip up.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #45
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Troy Smith had an awesome year the year he won the Heisman (save the BCS game). Pryor is no Troy Smith.

You may want to go look at the stats. Passing numbers between Smith and Pryor are very close so far and Pryor is a much better rusher.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:49 PM   #46
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
3) Barner played well against a team without a win. James outplayed him on national TV against the Vols. Then he went nuts against Stanford. He will play on national TV a minimum of three more times this year. Once on a Thursday against UCLA. Another time on a Friday against Arizona. (those nights he'll be the only show on tv) He also will get a national game against USC.
I wasn't advocating the position, I was mentioning it as a reason some people wouldn't have him near the top of their list. Like I said in the other thread, sadly ND-BC was shown on ABC in the majority of the northeast, MSU/Wisconsin was ESPN's secondary game nationally, and that meant Oregon-Stanford wasn't available in HD here. I do think James is better than his backfield mates, and that playing in a great system doesn't mean the player isn't great as well, but I'm not sold on him being any better than Shane Vereen, Jacquizz Rodgers, Noel Devine, Chris Polk, Daniel Thomas, even a Donald Buckram or Mikel LeShoure.

Also, just a reminder - at this point last year Mark Ingram was averaging less than 100 ypg, Toby Gerhart and Ndamukong Suh were probably completely unknown to about half the voters, Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy were the favorites and Jacory Harris and Tate Forcier were still in many top 5's.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #47
TroyF
Coordinator

You don't have to sell me on the fact that strange things can happen. Ingram shouldn't have won the award last year. I'm still stunned he did. There are plenty of guys who could jump in and take it. My money today would be on either Shoelace or James winning it. Next Saturday? Who knows.