-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 01:53 PM   #453
thesloppy
Pro Starter

So sorry, Jon.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:04 PM   #454
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Man Jon. Sorry to hear. Thinking good thoughts for you and Will.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 02:19 PM   #455
Thomkal
Head Coach

Man Jon that sounds pretty damn horrible. Big hugs to you and your family-certainly will be thinking of you in the days to come
Old 12-14-2020, 02:21 PM   #456
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Ugh. Prayers, Jon.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:29 PM   #457
JPhillips
General Manager

Take care and God bless to all three of you.
Old 12-14-2020, 02:40 PM   #458
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Just that many of these things are changing daily and even the staff are a bit confused.

It is, and the seeming (or at least recent) short-staffing is almost certainly a major contributing factor to that. And more than one employee in the past 24 hours has referenced the rapid rate of change in policy over the past 4-5 days ("something new every day it seems").

MY frustration with it is likely amplified by what a magnificent experience we had at Emory during her first cancer bout 16-18 years ago. The difference in then vs now is incredibly dramatic and makes now seem worse (if you get what I'm trying to say)
Old 12-14-2020, 03:01 PM   #459
miked
College Starter

It's always tough. If you were on the main campus, I could get you a coffee or bourbon, but I have not ventured to Emory Midtown in weeks. Stay safe, get some Varsity, and think positive thoughts.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:05 PM   #460
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
It's always tough. If you were on the main campus, I could get you a coffee or bourbon, but I have not ventured to Emory Midtown in weeks. Stay safe, get some Varsity, and think positive thoughts.

I'll say this: Doubletree on Clairmont was ... let's call it "an interesting & entertaining show" last night

There's probably a Henny shortage in the area today, as party guys met party girls there before what must have been a busy Sunday night at a club somewhere.

First time I haven't begrudged wearing a mask in 2020 was the heavy dose of cologne in/on the elevator.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:21 PM   #461
rjolley
College Starter

Very sorry to hear that, Jon. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:32 PM   #462
PilotMan
Head Coach

Sorry to hear that news Jon. It's bad enough to be dealing with all this without the hospital making things that much more difficult. So sorry your family is dealing with this.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:10 PM   #463
miami_fan
Coordinator

Really sorry to hear this news Jon. I am hoping for the very best for your family.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:33 PM   #464
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'll say this: Doubletree on Clairmont was ... let's call it "an interesting & entertaining show" last night

There's probably a Henny shortage in the area today, as party guys met party girls there before what must have been a busy Sunday night at a club somewhere.

First time I haven't begrudged wearing a mask in 2020 was the heavy dose of cologne in/on the elevator.

Interesting, you are like 5 minutes from me in what is pretty much the burbs (I'm off Clairmont). Not the party going crowd, especially during the pandemic.
Old 12-14-2020, 06:03 PM   #465
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Damn Jon, Prayers to you and your family.
Old 12-14-2020, 09:13 PM   #466
Radii
Head Coach

Shit Jon, thinking about you and your family and wishing for the best.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 08:26 AM   #467
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm so sorry to hear about the recent turn of events. I include your wife and family in my prayers at night. Unfortunately, the list of people I pray for seems to just keep getting longer.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:03 AM   #468
tarcone
Coordinator

Prayers to you and yours. Good luck.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:14 PM   #469
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I'm so sorry to hear about the recent turn of events. I include your wife and family in my prayers at night. Unfortunately, the list of people I pray for seems to just keep getting longer.

I am both genuinely touched by your words and shaking my head in sad agreement with your observation.

Half my nightly prayers lately I feel like I should offer an intermission or a bathroom break or something.
Old 12-15-2020, 12:25 PM   #470
cuervo72
Head Coach

Damn, Jon. Sorry to hear this.
Old 12-15-2020, 02:28 PM   #471
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

This all really sucks, Jon. Hang in there.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:34 PM   #472
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

My heart aches for you, Jon. You and family are in my prayers.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:51 PM   #473
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Update:

Surgery is done, took roughly 1 hour (!) Full hip replacement, almost standard except that they attach it to the side of good bone instead of at the top (where the bad bone was) ... She's expected to be on her feet by Wednesday afternoon. Yes, you read that right.

Approx 99% of both bone intrusion (basically tumor that bored into the bone) and a separate suspect soft tissue mass have been removed but that is "non-curative", they took it out to get it out of the way.

Pathology gets that material and reports take approximately 10 days. And once that comes back, then we go from there.

But, for the broken femur repair procedure itself, went as simply & straightforward as possible really.

---------------

Non-update message to the FOFC, from me to y'all. This post is straight c&p of what we gave her three closest & oldest friends (msgd 'cause I'm not waking them up with the phone). It's basically everything we know ourselves. It'll be the same as I give her mother in the morning aside from any notes post-recovery.

We may fuss & fight among ourselves here over lots of things but both this summer and the past few days, I've felt nothing but compassion and support from this community and I'm grateful beyond words for that. I can only hope I can treat all in similar situations with the same amount of grace as you've treated me. I will certainly strive to do so.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:02 PM   #474
Swaggs
Coordinator

Hang in there Jon.

You all deserve a stretch of good luck. I hope it kicks off for you soon.

For what it is worth, my FIL (who is 70ish and was close to immobile for over a year prior) had a hip replacement and it was amazing how quickly he recovered use of his legs/mobility. If your wife is the type that doesn’t do well staying stationary (as opposed to most of us text simmers here), getting back on her feet quickly may be a minor blessing.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 11:07 PM   #475
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
getting back on her feet quickly may be a minor blessing.

There's almost certainly some extremely difficult days ahead to deal with whatever caused all this ... but that will be easier to attempt mobile than immobile, that's for 100% certain.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:10 PM   #476
rjolley
College Starter

Hey Jon, at the end of the day, we're all people just trying to do the best we can to survive. We may not see eye to eye on how to accomplish that, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see you and your family doing well.

Glad to hear everything is going well so far. I hope everything goes well with the pathology report. Please keep us up to date on the progress.
Old 12-16-2020, 06:07 AM   #477
Flasch186
Coordinator

Sounds like good progress which is good. One day at a time.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:43 AM   #478
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I am glad for this bit of good news.

And, yeah, the new model of PT is to get you on your feet as soon as possible. It's apparently for the long term good. But it seems crazy that the time between getting a new hip and using it is measured in hours and not days.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:55 AM   #479
miami_fan
Coordinator

Always happy to get any good news from this thread. Hope it continues.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 07:58 AM   #480
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Glad you got some good news Jon.
Old 12-16-2020, 07:58 AM   #481
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm happy to hear the hip replacement went well. Now hoping for good news from the pathology report. You've got FOFC behind you, Jon.
Old 12-16-2020, 10:15 AM   #482
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Happy reading about the hip replacement as well. Nothing but good thoughts and prayers Jon.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #483
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It is crazy how quick the recovery is from orthopedic procedures these days
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 12:39 PM   #484
Thomkal
Head Coach

Yeah Jon my Mom who has had both knee replacement and back fusion surgery in the last few years was up pretty much the same day as her surgery (not that she liked that mind you). That's how it works now. So as scary as it to see her go through all that, her body will recover better this way. I hope the pathology report is as good as it can possibly be given the situation.

As for the compassion shown to you, you are part of the family here, many of us who have experienced the same struggles and joys in our day to day lives. We may be miles apart on the political side of things, but next door neighbors on others like with your wife. Plus you are just as big a sports/video game nerd as most of us here-I'm glad you stayed for at least those parts of this community.

I'll be honest I'm surprised you didn't leave this community for good at some point over the political divide between you and many of us here. I could have blocked you at some point, but you have been as welcoming as most everyone else here when I came out here, and for that you have my gratitude, thanks, and support.
Old 12-26-2020, 02:08 PM   #485
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

An update, though one that I don't know any way to make more pleasant

A doctor came by this afternoon to give her the topline test results:
Metastatic malignant bone cancer, sarcoma type.

Her care is being transferred to their top sarcoma guy.

He's not expected to visit her until most likely Monday, when we'll know more, can ask questions etc

About the only other info we got was that she should expect to be transferred home (to prepare for whatever treatment course is chosen) rather than to physical rehab.

Until the next doc comes to see her, that's about all we're likely to know.

As always, we covet and appreciate your prayers and love and support.

Beyond that, all I've got is: one thing at a time, no running ahead, we go as it comes.
Old 12-26-2020, 02:23 PM   #486
JPhillips
General Manager

That's tough. God bless and take care.
Old 12-26-2020, 02:58 PM   #487
thesloppy
Pro Starter

That all sounds so exhausting. I hope you all can get some rest.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:29 PM   #488
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
That all sounds so exhausting. I hope you all can get some rest.

I'm teetering on the brink of being overwhelmed this afternoon, if I'm just totally honest about it. And the only reason I'm not on the wrong side of the cliff at this moment is that I'm aware of how precarious my grip is right now.

If I contemplate the details, the logistics, the minutiae of what's ahead -- never mind the big stuff -- I'll be in the corner with my arms around my knees rocking back & forth. I'm working REALLY hard to stay super narrow and in lanes where I can actually do something immediate (like move some stuff in the den she asked me to move).
Old 12-26-2020, 04:00 PM   #489
MIJB#19
Coordinator

So little that we can do as a community, but we're here for you, JiMGA. Vent here, let this place be your corner and stay strong in the 'real world'. We'll sit next to you in that corner, that's the least that we can do.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 05:04 PM   #490
Edward64
Head Coach

Very sorry to hear about what you & family are going through right now. Hang in there sounds inadequate, I'm sorry for your crisis and hope it gets better.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 05:15 PM   #491
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sorry to hear Jon, continued good thoughts. As always if you need to vent on Facebook message me.
Old 12-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #492
AlexB
Pro Starter

Thoughts are with you Jon, I cannot comprehend what you are going through
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:01 PM   #493
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm teetering on the brink of being overwhelmed this afternoon, if I'm just totally honest about it. And the only reason I'm not on the wrong side of the cliff at this moment is that I'm aware of how precarious my grip is right now.

If I contemplate the details, the logistics, the minutiae of what's ahead -- never mind the big stuff -- I'll be in the corner with my arms around my knees rocking back & forth. I'm working REALLY hard to stay super narrow and in lanes where I can actually do something immediate (like move some stuff in the den she asked me to move).

Hi Jon,

The Mrs. and I are here for you - if you need to vent, talk, whatever - we will always be there for you.

Prayers to you and the Mrs.

How is Will handling it all?
Old 12-27-2020, 12:17 PM   #494
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Hi Jon,

The Mrs. and I are here for you - if you need to vent, talk, whatever - we will always be there for you.

Prayers to you and the Mrs.

How is Will handling it all?

My thanks, to you all.

He's trying awfully hard. About 20 years ago I used to jokingly tell people he wasn't really 3, he was a 33 year old midget, such was his beyond-his-years behavior. That'd make him about 43 now so the joke would still work. There hasn't been a day in the past two weeks that I haven't been grateful beyond words that he's home and so grown.

Aside from the obvious worst-case stuff, that brings up the most troublesome thing that's weighing on him right now: that his return to Miami is now less than a month away. She's absolutely adamant (I'm merely ... resolved) that he return on schedule and continue his studies. He's extremely conflicted about that.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:34 PM   #495
rjolley
College Starter

Sorry to hear, Jon. Much love and prayers to you and your family.
Old 12-28-2020, 03:51 PM   #496
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
My thanks, to you all.

He's trying awfully hard. About 20 years ago I used to jokingly tell people he wasn't really 3, he was a 33 year old midget, such was his beyond-his-years behavior. That'd make him about 43 now so the joke would still work. There hasn't been a day in the past two weeks that I haven't been grateful beyond words that he's home and so grown.

Aside from the obvious worst-case stuff, that brings up the most troublesome thing that's weighing on him right now: that his return to Miami is now less than a month away. She's absolutely adamant (I'm merely ... resolved) that he return on schedule and continue his studies. He's extremely conflicted about that.

Funny thing is - I knew your response would be almost like what you typed.

My son's are mommas boys, my daughter is daddy's little girl. I don't think the boys would care a lick for me if I was to have something like this happen, But if their mother had anything wrong they would be up in arms.

My daughter would be the exact opposite.

In all of this, he will do what his mother tells him too - but he will be worried the other time.

You both are strong, hang in there.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:37 PM   #497
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm sorry things are so bad, Jon. Your wife and you and Will continue to be in my prayers. I'm pulling for all of you.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:25 PM   #498
JediKooter
Coordinator

Sorry to hear this Jon. I'm really hoping for the best for her and you and your family.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:45 PM   #499
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Some positive news this week (at least is sure appears to be), though progress is still hard to come by

First the great (if accurate**) news: a doctor* came by, found out her post-surgical Cat scan was done and that we hadn't gotten any results. Within the hour, this doctor has blown through whatever red tape she had too & came back to my wife to say "there is NO sign of ANY tumor anywhere on this new scan" (which she said went from neck to below the knee). Considering what fears are conjured by the phrase "bone cancer", that was the best possible phrase we were going to hear any time soon.

She's still in her room, awaiting release since so far they've been unable to lock down the two conditions required for release: home health (no outpatient, must be in-home) physical therapy and a hospital bed for the home TFN. The latter seems handled, the former is being a challenge. Combination of covid staff issues, holiday staff issues, us being in a transitional state with her medical insurance (long story, I'll spare you), and who knows what else.

I've spent most of today trying to find a solution to the p.t. issues, on pause until I hear back from a live lead that might solve that. Now the bed appears to be the issue that could delay her release even further. Long story short: Emory "owns" (their words, not mine) a home health equipment company that they "typically work with". Problem discovered today is that their nearest location to us is 40 miles away (Lawrencevill) and only deliver to Athens one day per week ... Friday.. Meaning she might be stuck in hospital until Jan 8th unless we can get them to work with a local provider who will deliver pretty much any ol' time.

I'll tell you all one thing: try really hard to avoid any sort of medical situation during the holidays, it sucks worse on the practical side than it does on the emotional side.

More good news: wife reports more progress moving herself around in the past 48 hours than the entire time post-surgery otherwise. It's incremental & there's much to do, but I'm taking "if my ass wasn't hanging out of this gown I could have made at least one full lap of this floor on my own" as a damned good sign.

She also (the kid noticed from her emails) ordered a couple of things from her favorite consignment shop for the first time in 2+ weeks. That is the best mental/emotional state sign we've had so far ("Hell yeah, Mom is BACK")

Many miles to go, one day at a time is still the course afaic. But aside from the utterly frantic nature of much of the week (which tried to trigger the manic side of my personality pretty hard for an exhausting 2-3 days now, I spent Tuesday feeling like my whole body was vibrating for lack of a better description) the news has been much more good than bad. Big stuff good, details suck but better than the other way around.

*I'm not clear on what exactly this doctor's role was/is. She's not part of the "sarcoma team" that her care is being transitioned to afaik, she's ... some other role that's never been defined to me. Considering the way she jumped in to find & deliver results, I may just think of her as compassionent angel doctor tfn

**I say "if accurate" because, well as me, Will, and my mother-in-law all noted within a couple of minutes of hearing the news "that's what they said in October too, so how can we believe them?" That's harsh, I know, but it's not unrealistic to wonder about either imo.
Old 12-31-2020, 12:57 AM   #500
thesloppy
Pro Starter