Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-05-2022, 05:49 PM   #201
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The last 20 minutes of the MLS Cup has been better than anything I've watched of college FB all day.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2022, 06:03 PM   #202
Ksyrup

The goalkeeper storyline. Unreal.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-05-2022, 06:04 PM   #203
miami_fan
Coordinator

{inserts the Union forgot to put penalties on the practice schedule here}
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 11:50 AM   #204
kingfc22
Head Coach

Another solid all around effort for Arsenal and still top of the table.
Old 11-09-2022, 04:44 PM   #205
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Full U.S. Roster for 2022 World Cup:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ethan Horvath (Luton Town/ENG; 8/0), Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 10/0), Matt Turner (Arsenal/ENG; 20/0)

DEFENDERS (9): Cameron Carter-Vickers (Celtic/SCO; 11/0), Sergino Dest (AC Milan/ITA; 19/2), Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 29/3), Shaq Moore (Nashville SC; 15/1), Tim Ream (Fulham/ENG; 46/1), Antonee Robinson (Fulham/ENG; 29/2), Joe Scally (Borussia Monchengladbach/GER; 3/0), DeAndre Yedlin (Inter Miami CF; 75/0), Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC; 33/3)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Brenden Aaronson (Leeds United/ENG; 24/6), Kellyn Acosta (LAFC; 53/2), Tyler Adams (Leeds United/ENG; 32/1), Luca de la Torre (Celta Vigo/ESP; 12/0), Weston McKennie (Juventus/ITA; 37/9), Yunus Musah (Valencia/ESP; 19/0), Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders FC; 32/0)

FORWARDS (7): Jesus Ferreira (FC Dallas; 15/7), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders; 49/11), Christian Pulisic (Chelsea/ENG; 52/21), Gio Reyna (Borussia Dortmund/GER; 14/4), Josh Sargent (Norwich City/ENG; 20/5), Tim Weah (Lille/FRA; 25/3), Haji Wright (Antalyaspor/TUR; 3/1)

There really should not be any surprise that Zack Steffen missed out. He has been horrible for Middlesbrough this season.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-10-2022, 12:39 AM   #206
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Can I be surprised Jordan Morris and Haji Wright made it over Ricardo Pepi and Jordan Pefok and Roldan over Tillman and LDLT? Though I guess surprised isn't the right word...
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 07:07 AM   #207
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Luca is on there.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 07:12 AM   #208
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

2014 we had 5 guys with over 70 caps.

This time we have 1, and he probably won't play unless Dest needs a late game breather and we're winning.

Yedlin is also the only holdover from 2014.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:04 PM   #209
Edward64
Head Coach

No idea how serious this is. Is a boycott a real possibility?

FIFA and Qatar 'rattled' as European World Cup boycott gathers pace | Euronews
Quote:
FIFA and Qatar 'rattled' as European World Cup boycott gathers pace

The giant banners are now a familiar sight at German Bundesliga games.

Unfurled by fans, and seen by millions watching on TV, "Boycott Qatar 2022" has become a rallying cry for clubs, supporters and players alike who oppose this month's World Cup and want to highlight human rights and environmental concerns in the host nation.

"The closer the World Cup gets, the more intense the message is getting," explained Stefan Schirmer from the Boycott Qatar campaign.

"We have the impression that since the last two or three months, the momentum is gaining, it's going up," Schirmer, who plays football for an amateur club in Mainz, told Euronews.

Schirmer is involved with other volunteers in the campaign to keep public attention on the controversial decision to award the World Cup to Qatar. Recently, the US Justice Department alleged Qatar was involved in bribing FIFA delegates for votes, something Doha and FIFA strongly deny.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 08:39 PM   #210
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Boycott of what?

Quote:
The campaign hopes individual football fans will opt to tune out of the games on TV, and that pubs which would normally show the matches decide not to this year, for ethical reasons.

Okay, yeah I suppose a few people might not watch because the ball is being kicked around in Qatar.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 08:52 PM   #211
Edward64
Head Coach

Hah, you are right. Misleading headlines
Old 11-11-2022, 10:04 AM   #212
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Sepp Blatter's statement on what Platini did feels like it should be getting more attention, but also let's be real once the games are on I'm not boycotting.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 10:34 AM   #213
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
No idea how serious this is. Is a boycott a real possibility?
No, this is by no means serious. Once the ball starts rolling, all is forgotten.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 08:48 AM   #214
kingfc22
Head Coach

Haven’t even played yet and guaranteed top of the table headed into the World Cup break. Thanks Brentford.
Old 11-16-2022, 12:24 PM   #215
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

File under "Life comes at you fast"

Last week: Two goals against ManCity.

This week: https://twitter.com/guardian_sport/s...39407606153218

232 (alleged) breaches of betting rules.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 11-16-2022 at 12:24 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 05:33 AM   #216
Edward64
Head Coach

TBH probably a good call.

Quote:
Qatar is set to ban all beer sales at and around its World Cup stadiums, in a dramatic U-turn just two days before the massive soccer tournament begins, according to multiple reports citing people with knowledge of the matter.

The conservative, gas-rich Muslim nation does not fully ban alcohol for visitors, but its sale and consumption is strictly controlled.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:23 AM   #217
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
TBH probably a good call.
FIFA should strip them from the tournament. Hard promises were not kept, taking away the alcohol from alcohol addicts isn't what Qatar bribed all those FIFA suits for.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 11-18-2022 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-18-2022, 03:28 PM   #218
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
FIFA should strip them from the tournament. Hard promises were not kept, taking away the alcohol from alcohol addicts isn't what Qatar bribed all those FIFA suits for.

One promise down, many more to go. By the time the final comes around, both teams will be obligated to participate in the 'Salah' or else.
Old 11-18-2022, 03:42 PM   #219
miami_fan
Coordinator

Speaking of those FIFA suits, Austin Warner is a tiny step closer to a NY courtroom.

Ex-FIFA vice president Warner loses appeal against extradition from Trinidad | Reuters
Old 11-19-2022, 06:08 AM   #220
Edward64
Head Coach

May have missed this but didn't see this in MSM. Get a cheap burner if going.

In my overseas trip earlier this year, I also had to install some Covid tracking apps. I have to go and delete them.

Qatar 'requires' World Cup visitors to install state-sponsored 'spyware' on their phones | TechSpot
Quote:
Thousands of football fans are expected to descend on the region over the next couple of months to witness some live World Cup action. However, the country has raised serious concerns with cybersecurity researchers by "requiring" visitors to download apps that give officials overbearing rights to the data on their phones.
Quote:
Ehteraz is a covid-19 tracking app available for iOS and Android. The software is troubling because it asks for permissions far beyond the norm. Unsurprisingly it wants to track users' precise location through Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, which seems somewhat reasonable. After all, it is a covid-tracking app.

However, after Vasaasen conducted a thorough review of the software, he found that Ehteraz wanted much more than tracking capabilities. The app can also "read, delete, or change all content" on the user's phone. It can override any other installed software and prevent the phone from entering sleep mode. Additional permissions include the ability to make outgoing calls and the disabling of the device's lock screen.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:17 AM   #221
miami_fan
Coordinator

Meh. I have to believe given everything that we have heard about the Qatari government over the last ten years, if someone decided to go to the World Cup, they don't really care too much about being tracked by said government.
Old 11-19-2022, 02:25 PM   #222
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Meh. I have to believe given everything that we have heard about the Qatari government over the last ten years, if someone decided to go to the World Cup, they don't really care too much about being tracked by said government.
Anybody walking around with a cellphone with a facebook or google account on it already decided he doesn't care about his privacy or doesn't want to think about it. One more or less app that doesn't care about your privacy shouldn't bother them.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 11-19-2022 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2022, 10:46 AM   #223
bhlloy
Coordinator

Qatar are not good
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:19 AM   #224
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This shit with the Iranian goalie is dreadful.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:34 AM   #225
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Sepp Blatter's statement on what Platini did feels like it should be getting more attention, but also let's be real once the games are on I'm not boycotting.

I'll be boycotting. While I'm not a hardcore fan I would've been watching some of the games.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:52 AM   #226
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Worst case scenario for US v England.

England can relax the second half and get 6 subs, so plenty of rest for Englands top players.

I wonder if this may be the best possible time for a world cup for the top players. They're in the middle of the season and can mostly be in form, instead of exhausted from a full season.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:13 AM   #227
Ksyrup

More goals than most baseball postseason runs scored!
Old 11-21-2022, 09:56 AM   #228
Critch
lolzcat

I'd almost forgotten how much I hate Alexi Lalas and here he is running his mouth for every game. A month of Alexi Lalas all the time. Bring back Mike Tirico.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 11:45 AM   #229
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Beautiful goal for the Dutch. Great cross
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 11:55 AM   #230
bhlloy
Coordinator

Really odd for Wales to leave Kieffer Moore out, especially seeing as CB is probably the US’ weakest position. That lineup doesn’t fill me with a ton of confidence, but with how bad Iran are looking 4 points might be enough so might be going a bit conservative? That’s all I’ve got.
Old 11-21-2022, 01:05 PM   #231
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Weird, no yellow card for the captains of the USA and Wales for wearing a political statement on their arm. The Dutch media is all over FIFA's treatments to book any captain wearing such a band and as a result our captain Virgil van Dijk didn't wear the anti discrimination band he wore before in Nations League matches. FIFA being FIFA. :sigh:
Old 11-21-2022, 01:20 PM   #232
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The Fox broadcast really needs some way to do replays

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 01:28 PM   #233
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sounds like Qatar used what amounts to slave labor to get the stadiums, hotels, and everything else built for the World Cup.

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 01:30 PM   #234
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Weird, no yellow card for the captains of the USA and Wales for wearing a political statement on their arm. The Dutch media is all over FIFA's treatments to book any captain wearing such a band and as a result our captain Virgil van Dijk didn't wear the anti discrimination band he wore before in Nations League matches. FIFA being FIFA. :sigh:

What was the statement? I missed the beginning of the match and I did not see anything on a initial rewind.
Old 11-21-2022, 01:47 PM   #235
Critch
lolzcat

Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 01:53 PM   #236
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I will admit that I haven't payed attention to the build-up on this WC, so when the started talking about Tim Ream I couldn't help but think "It couldn't be that Tim Ream? Isn't he old?" Yes it is, and yes he is. Good for him.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 02:39 PM   #237
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
What was the statement? I missed the beginning of the match and I did not see anything on a initial rewind.
There was no statement at the beginning of the match.
A day before the Senegal - Netherlands match, FIFA told the KNVB (Dutch football association) the captain arm band that Van Dijk has worn in recent games as captain of Oranje is a political statement and would be punished with a yellow card at the start of every match he wears it. Yet the message "One Love" on the arm band is apparently more political than the "No discrimination" we're seeing today with the captains of Wales and the USA. Regardless that the message behind it is exactly that: no discrimination.
Old 11-21-2022, 02:43 PM   #238
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Never would have imagined our awful central defenders would be our downfall.
Old 11-21-2022, 02:45 PM   #239
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Is Gio dead?
Old 11-21-2022, 02:46 PM   #240
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Jordan Morris? WTF
Old 11-21-2022, 03:04 PM   #241
RainMaker
General Manager

Is Reyna hurt?
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 03:11 PM   #242
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Is Reyna hurt?

Knowing him, probably?
Old 11-21-2022, 03:18 PM   #243
Ksyrup

From what I saw (I was on Teams calls for most of the game), I thought Aaronson was excellent off the bench and Pulisic not good. It's hard watching this stuff - much prefer league play.
Old 11-21-2022, 03:21 PM   #244
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Not being an avid soccer follower, that was rough to watch. I don't think there's enough time remaining in the millennium to accurately compensate for the hours players from both teams spent on the ground writhing in anticipation of a draw.

Maybe it's best to tune out until the semifinals or something. As for the protests, blame FIFA. It's Qatar. They don't play by western rules. What exactly did people expect and why exactly does it matter when we're watching to see soccer, not judge countries in some sort of beauty pageant?

What's the point of the World Cup when no one seems to want to be there?
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 03:23 PM   #245
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
From what I saw (I was on Teams calls for most of the game), I thought Aaronson was excellent off the bench and Pulisic not good. It's hard watching this stuff - much prefer league play.

Pulisic dominates games for a while - he created the goal and Weah, for a shocking change given the US lately, put it away deftly. And then for long, long periods of time (the entire second half) all he seems to do is lie on the ground and gesture at the referee. If he wasn't such a poor sport, he might be one of the great ones.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 03:30 PM   #246
bob
College Starter

I'm surprised Wales didn't push more for a win. The way I see it, both teams are likely to lose to England and beat Iran. Given that the US plays Iran last, they will know what Wales did to Iran and how many goals they need to make up vs the weaker opponent in match 3. Unless they somehow thing England will take it easy on them or something.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 03:35 PM   #247
MIJB#19
Coordinator

For those being stuck with media that are too incompetent to read all the tie-breaker rules: Wales is currently 2nd in Group B, ahead of 3rd place USA, on "team conduct score" (essentialy lower number of yellow and red cards). Just like the Netherlands are ahead of Ecuador in group A (and Senegal is ahead of Qatar for 3rd place).
Old 11-21-2022, 03:40 PM   #248
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I'm surprised Wales didn't push more for a win. The way I see it, both teams are likely to lose to England and beat Iran. Given that the US plays Iran last, they will know what Wales did to Iran and how many goals they need to make up vs the weaker opponent in match 3. Unless they somehow thing England will take it easy on them or something.
If England beats the USA, England will need just a scoreless draw against Wales to win the group, whilst in that scenario if Wales has already beaten Iran, Wales will need just a scoreless draw against England to take second place, regardless of what the USA does to Iran. It probably didn't cross their (Wales') minds during the game, but that's a possible scenario.
Old 11-21-2022, 03:45 PM   #249
RainMaker
General Manager

I feel like you need to get a draw against England to move on. Berhalter's MLS guys are just not going to juice up that goal differential enough.

It would take a big effort but the talent is there.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 03:48 PM   #250
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Really odd for Wales to leave Kieffer Moore out, especially seeing as CB is probably the US’ weakest position. That lineup doesn’t fill me with a ton of confidence, but with how bad Iran are looking 4 points might be enough so might be going a bit conservative? That’s all I’ve got.

I don’t often get pre-match predictions right, but when I do… Moore and Johnson must start the rest of the games. Bizarre decision to try to go small ball and lightweight against a team like the US.

Got to be worrying for the US that they played 48 minutes against a team who didn’t show up at all and couldn’t get out of their own half and managed one shot on goal and ended up being outshot for the game. I’d have been happy with a point before the game and would have bit your hand off for a point at half time.

I agree with Jim about Pulisic, he’s great for a couple plays a game but goes missing far too often to be considered world class and with those dead ball deliveries, might as well just take short corners and free kicks. Aaronson was good when he came on and Adams was outstanding, but when all is said and done I think that is probably two poor teams who will be out to the first decent team they play in the next round if they get through.