Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-10-2022, 01:21 PM   #51
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

At least this will help some of their fans find it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:25 AM   #52
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Any thoughts on these shenanigans?

How the Boston Celtics' new game clock trick is confusing referees and frustrating opponents - CBSSports.com

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 12:17 PM   #53
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

This is abuse of the rules but legal, kinda like hack-a-Shaq back in the day, but teams can counter it by picking up further up the court. I wonder if it was looked at during the offseason or will be this coming offseason if enough teams complain.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 02:54 PM   #54
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Celtics aren't the only team using it - Ja fouled out Ben Simmons on the same play earlier in the year, but it definitely feels like a loophole that should be closed. Idk if the answer if just changing the clock rules so it stops on a made basket in the last 5 minutes vs 2 or just putting the impetus on the refs to blow it & stop the clock and give a side out of bounds of they feel it's shady.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 04:24 PM   #55
whomario
Pro Starter

I mean, the easy solution for the other team is to have a player pick up full court. So i don't have a problem with rolling it. But you can't allow other players to block defenders from engaging. That needs to be treated like an illegal screen.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 11-13-2022 at 04:26 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 07:06 PM   #56
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I mean, the easy solution for the other team is to have a player pick up full court. So i don't have a problem with rolling it. But you can't allow other players to block defenders from engaging. That needs to be treated like an illegal screen.
Thinking about it more I think I'd be down with eliminating the 8 second count to get it over halfcourt (which really isn't enforced anyways), but starting the 24 second clock when the ball is inbounded. Guys do it the other way too (letting it roll into the frontcourt with a stopped clock so they can get a 2 for 1 or whatever), but clearly all that stuff is against the spirit of the rules.

I'd also agree that Grant should be called for an illegal screen if he's moving at all (and no surprise whatsoever Grant's in the middle of this!), but like what is Aaron Gordon doing?

Also curious why people are so certain the NBA won't change the rule at all this season - is there some stated precedent from them they don't touch rules in season? We've seen the other major sports willing to modify minor rules like this in season if they felt it needed to be addressed.
Old 11-23-2022, 07:15 PM   #57
miami_fan
Coordinator

So is the plan in Dallas to wait until Luka's 9th year in the league to put a team around him that could be title contender? Dirk won his MVP in his 9th year and the Mavs were the betting favorite that season.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 01:07 PM   #58
miami_fan
Coordinator

Sources - Mat Ishbia finalizing Suns purchase for $4 billion

$3.6 billion in profit 17 years later is a nice chunk of change.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 12-28-2022, 09:12 AM   #59
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So before last night, teams were 0-13,885 when trailing by 9 or more with 30 seconds left over the past 20 seasons. The Mavs tied the game, then won in OT. Oh, and Luka had a 60/21/10 game. Unreal.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 02:57 AM   #60
stevew
Hall Of Famer

LeBron is set to smash this record in 8 more games. Could be as early as Feb 7 or Feb 9. I’m assuming they’d want him to break it in LA so if not either of those dates, Feb 15 or even 23 are possible
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 09:31 PM   #61
Ksyrup

Very cool. One of Ham's original one-and-done guys at FSU. Long road back.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-24-2023, 06:25 PM   #62
Atocep
Coordinator

It's crazy that Lebron James is an active NBA player with a son that will play in the McDonalds All American game.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:41 PM   #63
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Did Bronny jump up the recruiting lists or something? I thought he was ranked in the 50s.
Old 01-24-2023, 11:28 PM   #64
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bron with 46, now needs 178 points. First player to score 40 points in a game vs every NBA franchise.
Old 01-25-2023, 08:48 AM   #65
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Did Bronny jump up the recruiting lists or something? I thought he was ranked in the 50s.

Athletic had a short bit about this today. He's around 40ish, so their take was that he's not a terrible choice for the team but he definitely jumped some guys who deserved it more and his name is, of course, going to help sell the event more than without him. So win-win for everyone except whoever the one dude was whose space he took.
Old 01-30-2023, 10:19 PM   #66
Atocep
Coordinator

Joe Mazzulla has gone from coaching at my alma mater, D2 Fairmont State, to coaching the NBA all star game in a little over 3 years. What an incredible rise as a coach.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:22 AM   #67
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

This one was kindof funny:
Wizards' win in San Antonio ends one of the NBA's strangest losing streaks, which lasted 8,451 days - CBSSports.com

Quote:
Before this game, the Wizards hadn't won in San Antonio since Dec. 11, 1999, when they picked up a 99-89 victory thanks to 31 points, four rebounds, and five assists from Mitch Richmond, who out-dueled a young Tim Duncan (23 points and 13 rebounds).

Even considering that Eastern Conference teams play each Western Conference team on the road just once per season, that was still a 22-game losing streak that lasted 8,451 days. Four players on the Wizards' roster and seven players on the Spurs' roster in this game had not even been born yet the last time the Wizards were victorious in San Antonio.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:44 AM   #68
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

That Duncan guy was good at Wake Forest, but this is the NBA. I don't think he amounts to much of anything.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 10:13 PM   #69
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Celtics took the Nets to the woodshed, beat them up so bad that the woodshed was destroyed, then started looking for another woodshed to take the Nets to.

(46-16 first quarter, and out scored them in every quarter after that for a 139-96 win)
Old 02-03-2023, 12:58 PM   #70
miami_fan
Coordinator

Things were going too smoothly.

Old 02-03-2023, 01:25 PM   #71
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

wtf is wrong with that guy?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 01:26 PM   #72
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pretty funny I read about that while listening to the Mr Mister song “Kyrie” while wondering how flaky the song was to write.
Old 02-03-2023, 01:27 PM   #73
stevew
Hall Of Famer

LeBron only needs 2-3 more games to break the record.
Old 02-03-2023, 01:32 PM   #74
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Clippers or Kings would be my 2 possible destinations. Otherwise I’m not sure who would touch him.
Old 02-03-2023, 01:47 PM   #75
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

When you picture LeBron, do you picture him as a Laker, Cav, or on the Heat?
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 01:51 PM   #76
Ksyrup

Cav
Old 02-03-2023, 03:33 PM   #77
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
When you picture LeBron, do you picture him as a Laker, Cav, or on the Heat?

Heat obviously

That is actually more complicated than I originally thought it would be. I think of Lebron in general as a Cav. I picture young Lebron as a Cav but I picture older Lebron as a member of the Heat. It still seems weird for me to see him in a Laker jersey though.
Old 02-03-2023, 04:27 PM   #78
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
wtf is wrong with that guy?

I thought this would be the plan all along. I think we all know that the Nets are not re-signing him in the offseason. They are not winning a championship with or without him on the team this year. Might as well see if there are any takers for him and let that be the first step in rebuilding the organization.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:14 PM   #79
Atocep
Coordinator

Kyrie to the Mavs in a surprise move. Dorian Finney-Smith, Spencer Dinwiddie, and 2027 1st and 2nd round picks.

Not the return I expected.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:26 PM   #80
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I like that move a lot for everyone involved.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:29 PM   #81
JPhillips
General Manager

The Nets would be infuriating to deal with in a simulation.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:36 PM   #82
miami_fan
Coordinator

I love the deal for the Nets. Two quality role players. Finney-Smith is in his last year under contract, Dinwiddie has one year on his deal. I like it for the Mavs. I still don't think they are winning a title but I think Luca will benefit by spending some time off the ball and learning how effective with having to be the center of the offense all the time.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:59 PM   #83
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think they can easily flip Finney Smith for a first rounder.

He is on a 4 year contract though
Old 02-05-2023, 04:17 PM   #84
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

There's a chance he just takes some of Ben Simmons' minutes.

Its' crazy that they had Durant, Kyrie, and Harden and what they have left is Durant, some nice role players, and the most broken player since Markell Fultz left now.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:22 PM   #85
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Lakers surely were being too cheap and were never going to be realistically in play unless they overpaid. And Mavs it was a very smart low-risk move for excellent value. I suspect they'd been shopping before the media news hit, so moving him was pretty simple and didn't tank his value at all.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 05:35 PM   #86
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I like the deal for the Nets. If I am the Mavs and I have the best young player in the game not sure I want Kyrie around him
Old 02-05-2023, 05:48 PM   #87
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not sure I like the move at all for Dallas but at just 2 games over .500 I don't know if there's that much to lose either.

I mean, other than their sanity I suppose.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:51 PM   #88
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I didn't realize the Pels were on some massive swoon and had a nightmare that the Pels/Lakers still finished 1/2 in the lottery and the Lakers got Scoot
Old 02-05-2023, 08:25 PM   #89
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

I forgot he signed his extension last year.

Quote:
I like the deal for the Nets. If I am the Mavs and I have the best young player in the game not sure I want Kyrie around him

Kyrie hung around Tatum, Brown, and Smart for two years and they seem to be doing okay today. I don't expect Kyrie to be at his worst while he is in Dallas. I think he probably will fit in well. I mean he is still the guy who fought New York City over the vaccine mandate and won.

If nothing else, it is an opportunity to see if Luka is one of those guys who Mark Cuban can look at and say "I am dropping this player who is problematic in the locker room and I expect you to handle things."
Old 02-05-2023, 10:09 PM   #90
miked
College Starter

I'm not sure what we mean by winning over the vaccine mandate. He missed 35 games and probably the pay too.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:29 PM   #91
rjolley
College Starter

Seems like a good "take your shot" move by the Mavs. This gets them a talented player next to Luca. Those 2 should be a problem for most teams. With Wood, Hardaway Jr, Powell, and the rest of the bench, they should have enough to make a good run in the playoffs. But, do you resign Irving in the offseason or do you move on?

Surprised that the Nets didn't get more picks out of the deal, but it's not a bad haul. Dinwiddle is a player they know well. Finney-Smith is promising, I guess. A first rounder helps, but 2 would've been more in line with expectations.

Lebron is probably pissed the Lakers couldn't close on this one, but he really should be mad they couldn't get Hield and Turner from the Pacers, if they were actually available. That would've been a scorer to compliment Lebron and a post player to move AD to the 4 in most lineups. The Lakers don't draft well anyway. They usually get their players by trade or free agency because they're "The Lakers". Why not trade those picks for players that can help you right now? Those 2 picks aren't going to play center when AD goes down or hit shots while Lebron is resting.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:56 PM   #92
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I read the nets owner refused to trade him to the lakers because that’s where he wanted to go.
Old 02-06-2023, 05:00 AM   #93
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I'm not sure what we mean by winning over the vaccine mandate. He missed 35 games and probably the pay too.

If you don't think Kyrie won against the vaccine mandate, then he probably would not fit in with you and your circle. I know it was considered a win among a significant number of NBA players and I think it was the same for a majority of Maverick fans in Texas as they watched from afar. I don't know if the season's controversies will will cancel out that support but we will see.
Old 02-06-2023, 07:26 AM   #94
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I read the nets owner refused to trade him to the lakers because that’s where he wanted to go.
All I saw was he didn't want to... which could easily be a Lakers front office spin. I'm not even sure they were willing to give up both unprotected picks or how available 3rd teams were but they definitely didn't have pieces like Dinwiddie and Finney-Smith for a Nets team that wants to compete around KD.

I think for the Mavs they see it as a free roll that opens up a ton of flexibility this summer. I very much doubt Kyrie is THE guy they want next to Luka (or think will keep Luka in Dallas past this contract.)
Old 02-06-2023, 09:14 AM   #95
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
If you don't think Kyrie won against the vaccine mandate, then he probably would not fit in with you and your circle. I know it was considered a win among a significant number of NBA players and I think it was the same for a majority of Maverick fans in Texas as they watched from afar. I don't know if the season's controversies will will cancel out that support but we will see.

I mean, you are probably correct in that my circle is not NBA players and Texas conservatives. I'm just talking publicly and financially it did not seem like a big win. They didn't change any rules for him, he sat out every home game and was fined millions.
Old 02-07-2023, 02:51 PM   #96
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So weird that 31 year old Tristan Thompson is apparently on the media stage of his timeline. Bigs who can kind of play typically go into their mid to late 30s.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:49 PM   #97
Atocep
Coordinator

Lebron is probably going to break Kareem's record tonight. It's kind of painful to watch him try to carry this roster at age 38. The guy is still a top 3 player in the league, is 30/8.5/7 per game, but this Lakers team has a mix of guys with limited talent that play hard and talented guys that don't seem to give a fuck.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:59 PM   #98
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Really nice shot to break the record.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:00 PM   #99
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

yeah. Won me $600 also. Boom!
Old 02-07-2023, 11:00 PM   #100
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

It's nice to see him do this on a monster game.