Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Baseball Text-Based Sims
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-05-2006, 09:25 PM   #51
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Sullivan
PureSim uses a pretty complex algorithm that includes the player's average performance in a window surtrounding the year as well as his perf that year, so no you don't see supermen just because they had a statistically insignificant amount of AB's. Also, you won't see a star perform horribly just because they missed most of a season (perfect example: Bonds 2005)

PureSim applies an algorithm that models lefty-righty splits for Lahman players. There are a number of heuristics looked at when determining how extreme to go (playing time, contact hitters v. power etc..)

Awesome

thanks

jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 01:11 AM   #52
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Time will tell.

For me, I really can't imagine there's anything that could be produced that would be worth the disgust I'd feel for putting a single dime into the pockets of the assholes at Matrix.

My fondest hope (for the game) would be that Shaun and PureSim will eventually find themselves freed of that relationship so that I could consider future releases.

First off no offense intended. Not that I think I have to worry about damaging your delicate psyche.

With ALL of what was known about the Maximum Football development cycle, I find it hard to feel pity for ANYONE who went ahead with that purchase. Honestly it's pretty hard for me not to blame anyone beyond the customer at that point.

The folks at Matrix have always been stand up in my experience.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:25 AM   #53
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Please DO NOT let the MF experience hurt sales for Shaun and Puresim baseball.. he does NOT deserve that preconseption.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #54
Fouts
College Starter

"I do not think that word means what you think it means."

And I agree.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:02 PM   #55
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Please DO NOT let the MF experience hurt sales for Shaun and Puresim baseball.. he does NOT deserve that preconseption.

preconception
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:07 PM   #56
Qrusher14242
High School JV

So is there any manual expansion? Like just adding a team manually like in OOTP? Kind of hard to do historical leagues without it.
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #57
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts
"I do not think that word means what you think it means."

And I agree.

He does not deserve any preconceived opinions just because MF was a flop.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:17 PM   #58
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Sullivan
Hey Sabotai,

Maybe 2010 will be when you actually finish the sim you've been telling us all you have been working on for the last 4 years

FIRST of all, I have worked on SEVERAL sims in the last 4 years (that fact that none have ever been finished is irrelevent. )

Secondly....yeah, 2010 will probably be when I finally finish something.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #59
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He does not deserve any preconceived opinions just because MF was a flop.

Nor am I making any about him.

But what I do have a preconceived opinion of is whether I want to see cash go into the pockets of a company like Matrix which has:
1) thought it a good idea to do involve themselves professionally with a jackass like Daivd
2) thought it was good business to allow an absolute piece of crap product to reach the market with their name on it and then failed to take the only step which will correct said mistake
3) is represented, at least on the internet, by at least one whiny little prick whose posts make him a pretty good candidate for needing the shit slapped out of him at least once per day as a potential cure.

Add those things together and Matrix certainly seems to have it coming.
Or, more accurately, perhaps, not have it coming ("it" being my money).

My exposure to Shaun, very limited as it is, leaves me with a fairly positive impression of him personally. But that isn't nearly enough, for me, to outweight the extremely negative impression I have of MG.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:38 PM   #60
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Nor am I making any about him.

But what I do have a preconceived opinion of is whether I want to see cash go into the pockets of a company like Matrix which has:
1) thought it a good idea to do involve themselves professionally with a jackass like Daivd
2) thought it was good business to allow an absolute piece of crap product to reach the market with their name on it and then failed to take the only step which will correct said mistake
3) is represented, at least on the internet, by at least one whiny little prick whose posts make him a pretty good candidate for needing the shit slapped out of him at least once per day as a potential cure.

Add those things together and Matrix certainly seems to have it coming.
Or, more accurately, perhaps, not have it coming ("it" being my money).

My exposure to Shaun, very limited as it is, leaves me with a fairly positive impression of him personally. But that isn't nearly enough, for me, to outweight the extremely negative impression I have of MG.

1. LOL
2. I'm not with you here, but I'm sure some are. I don't say I'm not going to buy EA's Head Coach because Madden 2006 sucked or NHL 2005 sucked. I'm sure none of those are nearly as piss poor as MF was/is, but I would have never purchased MF and I knew that from the begining.
3. Don't frequent that forum.

To each his own Jon, and I certainly understand how you feel. It's a good thing for Shaun I think though.. of course he seems to get less posts now than he did when he was on his own. I think it's safe to assume Shaun probably gets most of the profit from the game though.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:51 PM   #61
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
3. Don't frequent that forum.

Me either, didn't need to, there was enough material cross-posted here that made that situation very clear.

Quote:
of course he seems to get less posts now than he did when he was on his own.

I've noticed that too, for whatever it's worth.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:27 PM   #62
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Well Jon, FWIW.. I never took that or any MF thread seriously.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:50 PM   #63
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla
Is there any chance you could set up a test league whereby you start in a past season, say 1975, and auto-sim for 25 years to see how accurate the stats are for the players we're familiar with, within reason?

P.S. Shaun, if you're reading, I'd be more than willing to run all sorts of test like this if they'd provide any value to your development process

P.P.S. Yes, I'm being a beta-test whore

Ok... per your request, I finally did this (running from 1980 - 2005). Results and screen shots posted here:

http://www.digitalstadium.org/smf/in...sg1738#msg1738
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:12 PM   #64
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

FN - That RAWKS! Seriously, fantastic work, I really appreciate it!
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:51 PM   #65
Franklinnoble
Banned

Thanks... I was pretty happy with the overall results. It wasn't 100% predictable, and it wasn't 100% wacky... I could definately have a lot of fun playing various types of historical leagues like this. I think Jim needs to find a way to make this part of the next FOF.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote