Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2022, 07:53 AM   #22751
tarcone
Coordinator

My 21 year old daughter used my truck for a week because her car was in the shop. I filled it up for her. Got it back with enough gas to make it to the gas station, but I coasted as much as I could. Thank you daughter.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 08:24 AM   #22752
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
My 21 year old daughter used my truck for a week because her car was in the shop. I filled it up for her. Got it back with enough gas to make it to the gas station, but I coasted as much as I could. Thank you daughter.

This is a tradition unlike any other. It's even better if they use the loose change in your car to put that minuscule amount of gas in just to make sure they make it home.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 12:29 PM   #22753
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

lynx > mosaic > netscape navigator > opera > internet exploder > chrome

I tried to avoid IE as long as I could, but there was a period in the early 00s before chrome where the others weren't really in a good place and IE became hard to avoid.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 09:58 PM   #22754
miami_fan
Coordinator

Re: Will Smith smacking the shit out of Chris Rock. What was the purpose of cutting away for the American audience if everyone else in the world getting the international feed can see everything?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-27-2022, 10:01 PM   #22755
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Re: Will Smith smacking the shit out of Chris Rock. What was the purpose of cutting away for the American audience if everyone else in the world getting the international feed can see everything?

The Children....

Smith should be removed from the show and arrested.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 10:20 PM   #22756
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Instead, he won Best Actor.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 10:24 PM   #22757
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Instead, he won Best Actor.

and apologized to everyone except the guy he assaulted

Last edited by Lathum : 03-27-2022 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-27-2022, 10:54 PM   #22758
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:

Considering the size advantage and Smith's notoriously diligent training for his role in Ali (also nominated for Best Actor), maybe they did what they could, fearing there might be a murder scene to clean up.

Sounds like Rock crossed a line with his joke, but if it was open season on comedians every time they crossed a line, there wouldn't be much to laugh about.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 10:58 PM   #22759
RainMaker
General Manager

I can't wait to see the ratings bump post-slap. I can't be the only person who turned it on right after.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 11:07 PM   #22760
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Considering the size advantage and Smith's notoriously diligent training for his role in Ali (also nominated for Best Actor), maybe they did what they could, fearing there might be a murder scene to clean up.

Sounds like Rock crossed a line with his joke, but if it was open season on comedians every time they crossed a line, there wouldn't be much to laugh about.

I don't know, Rock ate that slap pretty well, so it that training didn't do that much for him.

But regardless, the joke was in rehearsal too and Smith even laughed at it until he got a look from Jada. The real question is, how do you assault someone on live TV and just go back to your seat?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:26 AM   #22761
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 03-28-2022 at 01:31 AM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:28 AM   #22762
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Old 03-28-2022, 01:29 AM   #22763
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

it was a nothing joke. yeahyeah she's blad gi jane snarfsnarf...ricky gervais was much more vicious. and who cares? they are all pampered brats anyway. fuck em

at least make fun of how shitty jada's acting is.
Old 03-28-2022, 01:30 AM   #22764
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I think my browser history has been like navigator > firefox > chrome > firefox > chrome > firefox > chrome > firefox > brave > chrome > firefox

whoa....navigator itt
Old 03-28-2022, 03:47 AM   #22765
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Huh. Didn't realize it looked so WWE. Makes no sense, though - doesn't seem like it would generate ratings long-term and it was toward the end of the show.

I don't want to get sucked into the vortex here, but if it was also in rehearsal and he laughed, I'm guessing he and his wife did not have a very pleasant time together today. Whatever. Doesn't appear to have done Rock any lasting damage and it doesn't change the fact that most of us haven't even heard of most of the movies nominated these days.

I'm sorry Zelensky didn't get to read a category or whatever Sean Penn wanted him to do. I'm not sure Penn understands what smelting means, but if he wants to melt down his Oscars, that should be fun. I think they're worth more intact, though, if he wants to auction them to raise money for the Ukrainians, which would be pretty decent of him.
Old 03-28-2022, 04:15 AM   #22766
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The problem with that is he can't sell his Oscar's. The Academy has to be offered the right to buy the Oscar back for one dollar before he would be allowed to sell them.

GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 06:00 AM   #22767
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don't know. I think that Rock would have preferred to have been victimized by "cancel culture" instead of being slapped on worldwide television.

Not gonna lie, the little bit of caveman in me enjoyed the slap. Rock's reaction reminded me of the 90lb kid in high school who decided to make jokes about a member of the football team and then looked shocked when said member of the football team punched him in the face because it was "just jokes". I am not saying that violence is the answer or the correct way of handling. I am saying that violence is an option.
Old 03-28-2022, 07:37 AM   #22768
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can ignore the fuck out of those sales people that engage you while you’re walking thru sams club, but my wife always relents and says hi and makes eye contact. I wanna go back to when people used to socially distance again.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 07:52 AM   #22769
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Once upon a time, before social media allowed everyone to say offensive shit all the time without any fear of retribution, people were forced to consider tempering themselves lest they learn that while "freedom of speech" is a guaranteed right, "freedom from consequences" is not.

I applaud Smith's actions. A joke about someone's medical condition is way over the line.
Old 03-28-2022, 07:53 AM   #22770
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Smith should've been arrested.
Old 03-28-2022, 07:57 AM   #22771
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So the consensus is the Smith-Rock thing was real? My wife and I both watched it separately and each thought it was staged. The way Rock didn't do anything as Smith came at him, seemed to be braced for it, hands behind his back, and already started his reaction a millisecond after the hit, Smith apparently pissed enough to assault someone on stage but calm enough to walk up, hit him, turn around go sit back down?

I'll admit I am not a Hollywood fan - I can count on one foot of a three-toed sloth the number of movies I've watched in the past 15+ years - but this just seemed way too convenient given how badly awards shows have faired as far as TV ratings. What better way to try to get more people to watch the next one then by planting the seed of something wild/unexpected happening that you don't want to miss?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:18 AM   #22772
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Once upon a time, before social media allowed everyone to say offensive shit all the time without any fear of retribution, people were forced to consider tempering themselves lest they learn that while "freedom of speech" is a guaranteed right, "freedom from consequences" is not.

I applaud Smith's actions. A joke about someone's medical condition is way over the line.

Sorry dude but this is a trash take. You can't go putting your hands on someone every time they say something you don't like. We have already normalized violence way too much in this country. There was a much better way to handle it that would have been way more effective.
Old 03-28-2022, 08:22 AM   #22773
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
So the consensus is the Smith-Rock thing was real? My wife and I both watched it separately and each thought it was staged. The way Rock didn't do anything as Smith came at him, seemed to be braced for it, hands behind his back, and already started his reaction a millisecond after the hit, Smith apparently pissed enough to assault someone on stage but calm enough to walk up, hit him, turn around go sit back down?

I'll admit I am not a Hollywood fan - I can count on one foot of a three-toed sloth the number of movies I've watched in the past 15+ years - but this just seemed way too convenient given how badly awards shows have faired as far as TV ratings. What better way to try to get more people to watch the next one then by planting the seed of something wild/unexpected happening that you don't want to miss?

I hate wading into this, but damned if it's not going to take over Twitter, Reddit, etc, for the next couple of days now. But this was kindof my impression, too, from dumb videos on Reddit. I figured it was a stage slap - like something you'd see in rasslin'. I wasn't going to watch the Oscars before and I'm not going to start now because of this. But this seems like just what they'd want to gin up ratings for the next few years- like having a "wardrobe malfunction" at the Super Bowl halftime show. I just figured this was the start of Will Smith's heel turn for whatever reason he and his publicist dreamed up.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:23 AM   #22774
cuervo72
Head Coach

Never mind the eventual copycats who decide that yeah, they too can hop on stage and smack a comedian.
Old 03-28-2022, 08:25 AM   #22775
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Never mind the eventual copycats who decide that yeah, they too can hop on stage and smack a comedian.

yeah. Some people are going to get Will Smithed for sure.
Old 03-28-2022, 08:42 AM   #22776
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Here's the uncensored clip of the incident: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myjEoDypUD8

It was definitely not staged.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:42 AM   #22777
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I don't think it was staged. The Academy is too small-c conservative to do something like this on purpose. Even if one of the writers had come up with the idea, it would have been rejected as "too edgy."

And I don't see how you ever get Will Smith to agree to it. He does not need the fame, and this has some pretty big downsides in terms of his reputation, etc.

But the scandal I really want to see? If it comes out that the Academy rigged the voting so that Smith would win the Oscar in exchange for him agreeing to do this. Now THAT's a scandal!
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 08:50 AM   #22778
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Here's the uncensored clip of the incident: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myjEoDypUD8

It was definitely not staged.

That video actually supports the "staged" theory, IMO. He's chuckling a couple of seconds before he heads onstage? C'mon.

I haven't clicked on it, but I'm guessing this video is why "cuck" is trending on Twitter.

We're missing the second part of the video where his wife bitch-slaps him in the limo.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-28-2022 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-28-2022, 09:33 AM   #22779
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

And I guess since everyone need to have a take:

It is uncool that Smith demonstrated that individuals should use violence to suppress the lawful speech and activity of others, and it is really the last thing that America needed right now.
Old 03-28-2022, 10:11 AM   #22780
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That video actually supports the "staged" theory, IMO. He's chuckling a couple of seconds before he heads onstage? C'mon.

I haven't clicked on it, but I'm guessing this video is why "cuck" is trending on Twitter.

We're missing the second part of the video where his wife bitch-slaps him in the limo.

I thought staged too until he started to yell "keep my wife's name out of your fucking mouth". Granted he's an actor and the emotion could just be good acting.

Like you I saw how he was laughing at first too. What is missing to me is what did Jada do? You could see her expression, while Will was laughing. Did she lean over and say something to him? Has to be footage of that from some camera and I'd like to see it. How did he go from laughing to walking up on stage and then become so enraged?

If it were staged it should have ended with Smith sitting down and Rock saying his line "I just got the shit slapped out of my by Will Smith".

Like others I'm just not seeing an upside for Smith agreeing to stage something like this.

I also think Rock should have pressed charges. This is going to happen in comedy clubs. I suppose it's not unheard of now but, I think it will escalate.
Perhaps the country seeing some consequences for Smith, albeit a slap on the wrist for a celeb, might make one of us nobodies think before doing the same?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:15 AM   #22781
Ksyrup

I'm sure there are other angles, but that camera angle and cut-away is just too convenient, as is her over the top, obviously annoyed/angry reaction. It looked like acting, but I'll admit I live a pretty drama-free life so I can't tell you the last time I saw a real-life confrontation.

Also, I've seen reports that Smith posted something on Instagram earlier in the day about "chaos" later that night and that he's called her GI Jada in the past. None of which I can confirm because I don't follow any of these people. I wouldn't have been able to pick his wife out of a one-person lineup before now.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-28-2022 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-28-2022, 10:16 AM   #22782
Swaggs
Coordinator

Count me on the side that thinks the Smiths are trash for this. That was in the range of the least 'cutting' jokes someone like Rock could make. Hell, Ricky Gervais will probably never go on stage again if that type of behavior is acceptable. Imagine the beatings that Don Rickles would have taken if that was acceptable.

The right thing to do there is shake your head and let him move on, like Penelope Cruz did a few moments before. I really hope Rock doesn't get in on a mutual apology or anything like that.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 10:20 AM   #22783
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I don't know. I think that Rock would have preferred to have been victimized by "cancel culture" instead of being slapped on worldwide television.

Not gonna lie, the little bit of caveman in me enjoyed the slap. Rock's reaction reminded me of the 90lb kid in high school who decided to make jokes about a member of the football team and then looked shocked when said member of the football team punched him in the face because it was "just jokes". I am not saying that violence is the answer or the correct way of handling. I am saying that violence is an option.

It was a normal thing to see 90lb kids go out of their way to mock football players in your school? In mine, if I saw such a thing, it was usually because the smaller guy got tired of all of the shit he'd been taking and decided to reply. Then when coach or teacher came over and got involved it was the little guy's fault.

Must come from different worlds.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 11:21 AM   #22784
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Sorry dude but this is a trash take. You can't go putting your hands on someone every time they say something you don't like. We have already normalized violence way too much in this country. There was a much better way to handle it that would have been way more effective.

Multiple things can be true at the same time. Will Smith should have been arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent for the assault.

AND

Chris Rock has to understand that he does not get to decide how someone responds to disrespectful jokes at that person's family.

Are there better ways to handle it? Absolutely. Can I understand those that say Smith should not have not handled in that way? Sure. But it is one of the options. If you are going to be the disrespectful comic which is a type of comic I enjoy, you have to be aware that confrontation may be one of the options.

Comedians who make jokes at other people's expense have been confronted since the beginning of time. The idea that there is not risk to this ignores history. Confrontations are usually handled backstage or some time later. Based on what I have read, this is not the first time Rock has made a GI Jane joke at the expense of Jada. I don't know if it was addressed after the first time or not.

I don't see there being many copycats after this. If I go to a comedy show, I am going because I like the comedian and that style of comedy. Going to a Chris Rock show, I know that I might be the butt of the jokes especially if I am sitting near the stage. There is still a line that if crossed may cause a reaction but I think most people know what they are walking into.
I am hopeful that the random people who try to make these types of jokes in non comedy club settings understand that this is a possible reaction to their jokes as well.

As far as the laugh prior to going on stage, that seemed to me a laugh of nervousness or disbelief. The laugh you give while thinking "I told this MFer not to play with my family. I guess I need to go up there and handle things."
Old 03-28-2022, 11:23 AM   #22785
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

I'm reasonably sure that this already happens.
Old 03-28-2022, 11:27 AM   #22786
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
You can't go putting your hands on someone every time they say something you don't like.

Good thing I didn't say that, then.

Quote:
We have already normalized violence way too much in this country.

So, as you say, the cat's already out of the bag. Did Smith's actions make it more or less acceptable?

Quote:
There was a much better way to handle it that would have been way more effective.

Like what? Do you think Chris Rock will make fun of Jada's medical condition in her presence again?
Old 03-28-2022, 11:33 AM   #22787
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The bad take discourse is now in the "9/11 was worse, but" stage of trying to contextualize Will Smith slapping Chris Rock.

Barred and Boujee on Twitter: "my jaw actually hit the floor https://twitter.com/AudreLawdAMercy/status/1508471790435278852/photo/1"

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 03-28-2022 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-28-2022, 11:37 AM   #22788
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You literally said freedom from consequences. What exactly were you suggesting then?

Smiths actions make it even worse. Way too many people defending a clear cut assault in front of millions of people. Would you teach your kids this is appropriate behavior is someone says something about their mom?

Smith could have confronted him on stage still, said his wife has a medical condition and Rock was completely out of line. The exchange would have been heard by all and Rock would have come out looking like the bad guy. If Rock doesn't make another joke it is because he is a good guy and not because Will Smith had a toxic masculinity moment.

Sorry, but advocating assault because someone said something you didn't like is and always will be a trash take.
Old 03-28-2022, 11:40 AM   #22789
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Multiple things can be true at the same time. Will Smith should have been arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent for the assault.

AND

Chris Rock has to understand that he does not get to decide how someone responds to disrespectful jokes at that person's family.

Where did I say they can't be? I'm not defending Chris rocks joke. Assuming he knows about her condition its a cheap, shitty thing to say.

My point is assaulting someone isn't acceptable on any level over it, and in the majority of our society you are arrested, restrained, asked to leave, etc...you aren't allowed to casually sit back down then win an awards 30 minutes later.
Old 03-28-2022, 12:06 PM   #22790
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Count me on the side that thinks the Smiths are trash for this. That was in the range of the least 'cutting' jokes someone like Rock could make. Hell, Ricky Gervais will probably never go on stage again if that type of behavior is acceptable. Imagine the beatings that Don Rickles would have taken if that was acceptable.

The right thing to do there is shake your head and let him move on, like Penelope Cruz did a few moments before. I really hope Rock doesn't get in on a mutual apology or anything like that.

Agreed

It's the Oscars, some celeb roasts are part of the show and if you can't handle it then maybe stay home? If you take particular offense to a joke there are better ways to address it than going on stage and slapping someone.

I would say the reaction Will had after the slap says it was probably more of a cry for help than anything and he's probably battling some internal issues. It's not normal behavior and I don't understand how anyone could defend what he did.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 12:18 PM   #22791
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't see there being many copycats after this. If I go to a comedy show, I am going because I like the comedian and that style of comedy. Going to a Chris Rock show, I know that I might be the butt of the jokes especially if I am sitting near the stage. There is still a line that if crossed may cause a reaction but I think most people know what they are walking into.

Sure, if it's a big name comedian. What if you're going to a local comedy club that has an open mic night or a lineup of comedians who may not be household names? Not all comedians are playing Netflix specials in front of a packed theatre.
Old 03-28-2022, 12:22 PM   #22792
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Didn't we learn from the Trump presidency that bad behavior by a public figure acts as a cue for others to behave the same way?
Old 03-28-2022, 12:26 PM   #22793
Ksyrup

Regardless of whether it was legit or staged, we still got this so it's all good.

Old 03-28-2022, 01:02 PM   #22794
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Didn't we learn from the Trump presidency that bad behavior by a public figure acts as a cue for others to behave the same way?

Isn't the reason we got Trump in the first place because someone made a crack about him running for president during the Hollywood press thing and Obama laughed? Now that's playing the long game.
Old 03-28-2022, 01:05 PM   #22795
miami_fan
Coordinator

There is a difference between defending and understanding/explaining. I already said Smith should have used a different method and he should be punished for his actions. I am not advocating for him to assault anybody.

But I understand why he has made the call that Rock had crossed the line and decided he needed to do what he did. Again, I am not saying that is what he should have done. I understand that this move is one of the options he has to use when dealing with this issue and that is the one he chose. It is an option that I have seen many a husband use with a higher degree of violence in defense of their wife for so much less. Is it toxic? Absolutely. Is it closer to the norm than it seems people are willing to admit? It seems to be the case.
Old 03-28-2022, 01:15 PM   #22796
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
. It's not normal behavior and I don't understand how anyone could defend what he did.

This, and not only defending but some actually praising him, SMH. For the don't make fun of a medical condition crowd, stop. It's fucking alopecia and he didn't even reference that that, it was about her hair cut, which she choose to make a big deal of publicly.

Was the joke in poor taste, sure, but as mentioned far from the worst thing we have ever heard at these ceremonies, and because Smith laughed, it is apparent he was not that offended until Jada told him to be.

Look, I am not at all about making fun of people going through issues, but in context, is this really something to warrant with Smith did? Hell no. If someone insults your spouse in an intentional, hurtful way, maybe then you have a case. But for this, he could have pulled Rock aside backstage and said "Hey, Jada is really having certain feelings about losing her hair and that wasn't cool, I think you should apologize"

As Atocep mentions the aftermath really doesn't seem to fit that just this one thing set him off and as much crap as they share about their personal lives, you should expect a higher degree of retorts in public.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 03-28-2022 at 01:15 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:26 PM   #22797
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
It was a normal thing to see 90lb kids go out of their way to mock football players in your school? In mine, if I saw such a thing, it was usually because the smaller guy got tired of all of the shit he'd been taking and decided to reply. Then when coach or teacher came over and got involved it was the little guy's fault.

Must come from different worlds.

When i was a freshman in high school, a guy okay maybe closer to 120 then 90 pound decided to he was going to make jokes about the player's mother being in the hospital during lunch. I knew that the jokes were distasteful but we were in high school and the jokes were funny. I don't know if there was any history between the boy and the player. All I know is after the second joke the player got up, punched the boy twice in the eye before he was held back by teachers. I don't remember what the punishments were. I do remember that the boy remained a kid who would crack jokes. He just did not crack jokes about the player ever again.

Cracking the most distasteful jokes were a regular part of my high school life. It is a regular topic of conversation amongst my classmates and peers that our children and their friends are so much nicer and kinder to each other compared to when we were to each other at their age.
Old 03-28-2022, 01:28 PM   #22798
thesloppy
Pro Starter

When this first popped off I didn't know what people were talking about & went to look it up, but it hadn't made the news yet & so instead I found a bunch of articles talking about this moment earlier, when an actress made jokes about their open marriage:

A Very Single Regina Hall Uses Oscars To Find A Boyfriend, Pats Down Jason Momoa

“Will Smith. You’re married, but ... You know what, you’re on the list and it looks like Jada approved you, so you get on up here!” Hall said, alluding to the couple’s open marriage.

That seems more insulting than a GI Jane crack & my dimestore psychoanalysis is that Will stomached his rage over all of the collective insults he took as personal until he saw the opportunity to take it out on an older, smaller dude AND use Jada's 'honor' as some kind of excuse.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 03-28-2022 at 01:30 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:38 PM   #22799
Ksyrup

But he was laughing about it 7-8 seconds before he decided he was pissed enough about it that he slapped/hit a dude on stage on national TV.
Old 03-28-2022, 01:51 PM   #22800
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I don't think anybody was genuinely laughing at a GI Jane joke.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote