1 PITTSBURGH PENGUINS vs 4 COLUMBUS BLUEJACKETS

2 NEW YORK RANGERS vs 3 PHILADELPHIA FLYERS

CENTRAL DIVISION

1 COLORADO AVALANCHE vs 4 MINNESOTA WILD

2 ST LOUIS BLUES vs 3 CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS

PACIFIC DIVISION

1 ANAHEIM DUCKS vs 4 DALLAS STARS

2 SAN JOSE SHARKS vs 3 LOS ANGELES KINGS

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 04-14-2014 at 11:47 AM.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Nice to have a Red Wings playoff series where I don't have to stay up to 2am to finish watching a game.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:09 PM   #3
The Jackal
Coordinator

Beard = shaved.

Not sure if I'm going to one of the games at MSG yet, but let's go Flyers.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:13 PM   #4
The Jackal
Coordinator

Not many people thought we'd be seeing Blues vs Blackhawks in the first round. Blues slumping, 'hawks stars hurting - should be an interesting one.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #5
The Jackal
Coordinator

Thoughts on the series:

EAST

BOS vs DET - Wouldn't be surprised if this is a sweep, but the Wings can probably pull out one or two wins.

TBL vs MTL - I think if Bishop is healthy the Lightning win. If not, Canadiens.

PIT vs CLB - Bobrovsky is going to have to have his Vezina winning form if the Jackets are going to have a chance - but they're happy to be here and the Penguins haven't been stellar lately. Are their stars healthy enough?

NYR vs PHI - Flyers have lost 8 in a row at MSG and the Rags are a pretty good possession team - I'm nervous.

WEST

COL vs DAL - If Colorado can smother Seguin and Benn they'll win easily - if not it could go 7.

STL vs CHI - Defending champions (I guess, last year is questionable) vs conference favorites for most of the year - both defenses are outstanding but following up on what I said in the previous post, if Toews/Kane are actually healthy I like CHI.

ANA vs MIN - Go Bryz? I haven't seen the Ducks much but they seem pretty good.

SJ vs LA - I also haven't seen these teams much - I tend to like the Kings here but maybe Hertl comes back and makes a difference in the playoffs? Kings can definitely go through scoring slumps.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #6
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I'm glad the Wings made it 23 years in a row, but I think they are just holding off on the inevitable of needing to get some higher picks and rebuild.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:39 PM   #7
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
Thoughts on the series:

EAST

BOS vs DET - Wouldn't be surprised if this is a sweep, but the Wings can probably pull out one or two wins.

TBL vs MTL - I think if Bishop is healthy the Lightning win. If not, Canadiens.

PIT vs CLB - Bobrovsky is going to have to have his Vezina winning form if the Jackets are going to have a chance - but they're happy to be here and the Penguins haven't been stellar lately. Are their stars healthy enough?

NYR vs PHI - Flyers have lost 8 in a row at MSG and the Rags are a pretty good possession team - I'm nervous.

WEST

COL vs DAL - If Colorado can smother Seguin and Benn they'll win easily - if not it could go 7.

STL vs CHI - Defending champions (I guess, last year is questionable) vs conference favorites for most of the year - both defenses are outstanding but following up on what I said in the previous post, if Toews/Kane are actually healthy I like CHI.

ANA vs MIN - Go Bryz? I haven't seen the Ducks much but they seem pretty good.

SJ vs LA - I also haven't seen these teams much - I tend to like the Kings here but maybe Hertl comes back and makes a difference in the playoffs? Kings can definitely go through scoring slumps.

Few quick thoughts of my own

Not sure Detroit can win, but they seem like a team that won't fall into the trap the Pens do vs Boston or Philly. Not sure how much that helps them, but can't hurt

I almost, in a sick way, want Malkin to sit out a couple games. This team plays a more playoff style game when the stars are out. And I think they could have guys miss a few and still be relatively OK vs Cbus

I've never been a huge Carey Price guy, but I think Montreal could ride him this series.

Holding out hope the Rangers do their part and knock the Flyers out for Pittsburgh

Colorado 100% reminds me of the 08 Penguins, getting really good a little faster than expected.

CHI and STL...two teams heading the wrong direction the last couple weeks. And never been a Ryan Miller fan.

No read on ANA and MIN...Boudreau has regularly faltered in the playoffs

I really like SJ. In the games vs Pittsburgh this year, SJ was big, fast and deep (that's what she said!). LA seemed a lot less physical than prior years...but maybe just waiting to turn it on in the playoffs.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
EVEN8184
n00b

It's actually Anaheim vs. Dallas and Colorado vs. Minnesota.
EVEN8184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #9
bbor
Pro Starter

No need for me to post in this thread...No dog in this fight...again....i just hope every series goes to X2 overtime in game 7.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Blues are limping into the playoffs.. I don't like our chances at all.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #11
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Time for the Sharks to start playing below expectations.

This is the deepest Sharks team I can remember. If Hertl makes any kind of impact at all, look out. Even without him, the team has been playing some amazing hockey (111 points shows it). If they could have beaten Anaheim in regulation last week, they'd be the #1 seed in the West at 113 points (versus Anaheim's 112). Hopefully this is the year they finally figure it out, but it's been so many years of disappointment in the playoffs that I can't find it in myself to believe it until I see it.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 04-13-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #12
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Time for the Sharks to start playing below expectations.

This is the deepest Sharks team I can remember. If Hertl makes any kind of impact at all, look out. Even without him, the team has been playing some amazing hockey (111 points shows it). If they could have beaten Anaheim in regulation last week, they'd be the #1 seed in the West at 113 points (versus Anaheim's 112). Hopefully this is the year they finally figure it out, but it's been so many years of disappointment in the playoffs that I can't find it in myself to believe it until I see it.

Yea, I'm not getting my hopes up until at minimum the conference finals.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:12 PM   #13
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
No need for me to post in this thread...No dog in this fight...again....i just hope every series goes to X2 overtime in game 7.

+1
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:17 PM   #14
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

go avs!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:37 AM   #15
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVEN8184 View Post

Ha. Well I think Colorado should win that series fairly easily. Anaheim in 5 or 6, probably.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #16
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Some very entertaining first round match-ups.

Blackhawks/Blues

Kings/Sharks

Philly/Rangers

All great.

Columbus/Pittsburgh could be interesting, especially of 2012/2013 Playoff Marc-Andre Fleury shows up again.

The other two series in the West don't seem that terribly interesting and Montreal/Tamp doesn't do too much for me.

As for Boston/Detroit. Well, it was good to get into the playoffs again. Without Zetterberg and Ericsson (or even with them really) it was going to be a very, very tough series. Boston has no real weakness and I don't think anyone has scored more on Jimmy Howard than Iginla. Given that Wings seemed destined to miss the playoffs about a month ago, I will enjoy this bonus round.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:31 AM   #17
The Jackal
Coordinator

Nyqvist seems like a hell of a talent.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #18
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVEN8184 View Post

Edited...but who really cares about the West?
Old 04-14-2014, 11:50 AM   #19
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Even though not playoff related, I'll put here

Preds cut ties with Barry Trotz after 17 seasons.

If (when?) Pittsburgh falls apart again, wouldn't be surprised if Ray Shero kicks the tires there, with his background in the Nashville front office.

All depends on what spectacular method Byslma uses to fall apart this year.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #20
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Columbus/Pittsburgh could be interesting, especially of 2012/2013 Playoff Marc-Andre Fleury shows up again.

Watch the GWG he gave up in OT against the Flyers last Saturday...he looks to be rounding into playoff form.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:23 PM   #21
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I noticed that the NHL playoffs are on ESPN.com's cover page (with the Bruins pictured).

Below the picture there are a few links, including this "McIndoe: Round 1 breakdown"

There's no "spoiler" tags, warnings, or anything. How times have changed...

So much playoff hockey coming up AND I get Good Friday off. SCORE!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #22
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

It's crazy, sometimes I have to remind myself that I first knew him posting here. Read everything he puts out.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs3 : 04-16-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #23
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

ML is the new Bill Simmons, I guess?
Old 04-16-2014, 04:04 PM   #24
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I noticed that the NHL playoffs are on ESPN.com's cover page (with the Bruins pictured).

Below the picture there are a few links, including this "McIndoe: Round 1 breakdown"

There's no "spoiler" tags, warnings, or anything. How times have changed...

So much playoff hockey coming up AND I get Good Friday off. SCORE!

I don't see it

edit: never mind now i do

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-16-2014 at 04:05 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:20 PM   #25
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Mason's out for at least tomorrow thanks to that punk that ran him.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:29 AM   #26
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I know it's late on the east coast, but no comments on the crazy games this evening? I think Chicago may be done after that heartbreaker of a game today. I know it's just game one and they're on the road, but multi-OT losses are brutal.

I didn't think Minnesota had much of a shot from the get go, but blowing the game with under 15 seconds left and then losing in OT is probably going to go a long way to hurrying their exit along.

The Sharks looked fantastic for the first forty minutes, but then the Kings reminded them in the third that they weren't going to go quietly. This should be an amazing series.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 02:25 AM   #27
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I know it's late on the east coast, but no comments on the crazy games this evening? I think Chicago may be done after that heartbreaker of a game today. I know it's just game one and they're on the road, but multi-OT losses are brutal.

I didn't think Minnesota had much of a shot from the get go, but blowing the game with under 15 seconds left and then losing in OT is probably going to go a long way to hurrying their exit along.

The Sharks looked fantastic for the first forty minutes, but then the Kings reminded them in the third that they weren't going to go quietly. This should be an amazing series.

As much as I love overtime games, I was kind of disappointed that the Chicago/St. Louis game essentially wiped out the Sharks/Kings game. It looked great!
Old 04-18-2014, 04:44 AM   #28
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I know it's late on the east coast, but no comments on the crazy games this evening?

Got drunk watching the Rangers-Flyers and been wide awake since 4 as a result. There's my comment.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:51 AM   #29
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Didn't get to start watching until the beginning of the first chi-stl overtime. Great hockey for the OTs though! I don't think Chicago is done from that loss. Heartbreaker for sure, but if they can win tomorrow they are still heading back home with a 1-1 split. They are also experienced enough to be able to deal with it pretty well I suspect. I think it would have been far more damaging to St Louis had Sharp scored on that breakaway late in 2OT.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:02 AM   #30
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

sat through an awful WAS-STL baseball game (in 40 degree weather) then came home to watch the AVS and fell asleep halfway though the 3rd (they were down 4-2 at the time). happy they won, kinda wished i had recorded the rest of the game.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 04-18-2014, 08:05 AM   #31
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Didn't get to start watching until the beginning of the first chi-stl overtime. Great hockey for the OTs though! I don't think Chicago is done from that loss. Heartbreaker for sure, but if they can win tomorrow they are still heading back home with a 1-1 split. They are also experienced enough to be able to deal with it pretty well I suspect. I think it would have been far more damaging to St Louis had Sharp scored on that breakaway late in 2OT.
On the contrary, I think that the effects of 10 guys going to the Olympics has taken its toll on the Blackhawks. Aside from the first week or so after, they have looked slow(er) and have played stupid hockey. I haven't looked this up, but I would suspect that their turnover numbers are significantly higher after the break than before. For a puck possession team they sure make a lot of bad passes that lead to good opportunities for their opponent. And Keith has not looked anything like a Norris trophy candidate the last few weeks.

I see a first round exit. As a fan, I hope I'm wrong.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:33 AM   #32
The Jackal
Coordinator

The Flyers got pretty well dominated but still had a chance to win it in the third. Very unfortunate double minor, but all in all they're gonna need a better effort to win some games in this series.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #33
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I'm in Vegas for a couple days. Was following CHI-STL on my phone...then followed a little bit of LA-SJ walking around.

Agree that CHI can bounce back. They've been through this before.

"Watched" Pens Wednesday game on the way in, on the mediocre wifi on plane.
We were waiting for shuttle when game ended.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:55 AM   #34
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

GO BLUES!!!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:22 PM   #35
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post

Old 04-18-2014, 10:27 PM   #36
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Ugh
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:10 PM   #37
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

The Stars goalie seriously needs to win today or he will be dangerously close to the "he can't win in the playoffs" zone which could spiral out of control.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #38
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

Every squirrel gets a nut now and then.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:23 PM   #39
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It was a pretty tight game. Pretty even. The Wings carried the play in the second period, while the Bruins were better in the 3rd. Both teams were pretty equal in terms of scoring chances.

Howard makes a great/lucky save on the Lucic re-direction and about 30 seconds later Datsyuk does his thing and gets one past Rask.

The Wings have had a surprisingly good record against the Bruins the last couple of years for whatever reason.

Just one game. Still a long series ahead.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:48 PM   #40
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

One of the rationales behind this new playoff format was to foster divionsal rivalries.

After this third period in St. Louis, mission accomplished.

Nastiness.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:34 PM   #41
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

yeah, seabrook needs to sit... 15? 20 games? (he will get 2 tops)

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 04-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #42
bhlloy
Coordinator

That was absolutely brutal - he will get two (and the media already seems in agreement that's the number) because playoffs and star player, but it should be way, way more.

Also Toews talking shit to Backes while he was clearly seriously concussed and Seabrooks whitewash comments after the game left a lot to be desired IMO.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:29 PM   #43
TroyF
Coordinator

So, um, I think this Nathan MacKinnon kid can play, huh? Wow.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:45 PM   #44
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post

yes, yes he can. My son was watching with me and he commented on a fast player on the Wild. I said, if you want to see speed, watch for #29 because he's ridiculous. His next shift was that ridiculous first goal. Nailed that one (and impressed my son to boot)

that being said, Roenick called him more dominant than Crosby was at 18 which is an absolutely ludicrous statement. (and I'm an Avs fan)
Old 04-20-2014, 07:07 AM   #45
The Jackal
Coordinator

The Avalanche have a very exciting young offensive core.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:31 AM   #46
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post

He picks up so much speed between blue lines it is almost unfair to the defencemen,No one can pivot that fast.You can only hope to angle him off and then get backside pressure to box him in.

Regardless,the guy is and will be a phenom,this is certainly his coming out party.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #47
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
That was absolutely brutal - he will get two (and the media already seems in agreement that's the number) because playoffs and star player, but it should be way, way more.

Also Toews talking shit to Backes while he was clearly seriously concussed and Seabrooks whitewash comments after the game left a lot to be desired IMO.

He should be out the whole series. Nasty hit...

Great way to answer though, GO BLUES!!!
Old 04-20-2014, 09:53 AM   #48
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Not having a dog in this race has been great....Watching some amazing playoff hockey.

Between Hockey and Soccer my tv hasn't left the NBC Sports channel much since the NHL Playoffs begun..
Old 04-20-2014, 10:11 AM   #49
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

stupid DVR. missed the whole first period of AVS wild due to the OT game in Pit, then the game cut off with about 10 min left.

GIT R DUN!!!
Old 04-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #50
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Funny how quiet the Pens bandwagon is on Facebook today.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote