Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #651
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Big game tomorrow.. can't wait!!! MIZ!

ZOU! Excited as well. Good measuring stick for both teams.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #652
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
ZOU! Excited as well. Good measuring stick for both teams.

Going to be tough.. that place will be rocking tonight.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #653
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

If it makes Mizzou fans feel any better about their chances tonight this is a premium letdown spot for Texas. Coming off a huge win at Kansas and showing great effort at Oklahoma State you might think this is the game their egos are a little bloated coming home against a dangerous Mizzou team. If Mizzou can get the lead early this could get interesting otherwise Texas probably wins this easily.

Texas has a smothering defense so Mizzou will need someone to come out hot.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-29-2011 at 11:33 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #654
Radii
Head Coach

Great win for UNC over NC State. Harrison Barnes had a breakout game with 25 points and 6 boards. He shot well, limited some of the dumb mistakes that have his turnover count way too high, and hustled as much as anyone on the floor. This was by far the best I've seen him play. John Henson was even better imo, 16 points, 16 boards, 7 blocked shots. Tyler Zeller has improved a ton this year but he is prone to getting pushed around down low, henson is really holding things down inside for this team.

UNC has won 8 out of 10 and may sneak back into the top 25 next week, but they have a huge stretch coming up, at BC, vs FSU, at Duke, at Clemson. They played the closest thing to a complete game today that I've seen, but still I think 2-2 over the next 4 would be great.

Sidney Lowe has to be done after the year, right? Is there any case to give him another year to try to develop the recruiting class he brought in last year, or is this just it?

Lastly, yeah that review/technical foul was bullshit. The game was over already imo, but that turned it into the 20+ point blowout.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #655
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Was watching the Villanova-G'Town game earlier. Why does it seem that Corey Fisher has been on Villanova for like 10 seasons?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #656
MJ4H
Coordinator

A road win against a ranked team is not exactly what I expected tonight, but Arkansas beats Vanderbilt for only the 4th time ever in their gym, 89-78 tonight.

Pelphrey's teams have been so inconsistent. Sure wish they could play like that more often.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #657
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Kansas is dismantling K-State on the sesquicentennial of Kansas's statehood. K-State is just ice cold and they're missing everything from threes to dunks.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:34 PM   #658
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Portland dominating St. Mary's.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:50 PM   #659
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Texas dominating Mizzou so far... ugh...
Old 01-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #660
Swaggs
Coordinator

WVU picks up a nice road win over Cincy. For the second straight game, we only played 7 guys (and one of them seemed to disappear in the second half, so hopefully he is not hurt).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #661
Logan
Head Coach

Rutgers just had a terrible last possession in the effort to knock off #2 Pitt. 65-62 final.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:18 PM   #662
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Superb defensive effort from Texas tonight, holding Mizzou to 27 points below their season average, in a 71-58 win. Could have been a lot worse, but they were horrid from the free throw line.

Not feeling too confident in the next game. Have a quick turnaround to play an angry A&M team in College Station on Monday night.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:26 PM   #663
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Superb defensive effort from Texas tonight, holding Mizzou to 27 points below their season average, in a 71-58 win. Could have been a lot worse, but they were horrid from the free throw line.

Not feeling too confident in the next game. Have a quick turnaround to play an angry A&M team in College Station on Monday night.

We obviously were watching a different game. Mizzou had wide open looks for most of the second half and missed one after the other. It was a pretty embarrassing effort by Texas, yet Mizzou somehow managed to be more embarrassing in the process. Didn't help that our best interior player got KO'd in the first half. Neither of those teams played like a top 10-15 team tonight. The only redeeming difference for Texas is that they got a W out of that debacle.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #664
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
We obviously were watching a different game. Mizzou had wide open looks for most of the second half and missed one after the other. It was a pretty embarrassing effort by Texas, yet Mizzou somehow managed to be more embarrassing in the process. Didn't help that our best interior player got KO'd in the first half. Neither of those teams played like a top 10-15 team tonight. The only redeeming difference for Texas is that they got a W out of that debacle.

Of course this would be your reply.

ROFL
Old 01-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #665
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Lets not give Texas any credit for leading from start to finish For someone that predicted that they may go 0-4 during this current stretch that they are currently 3-0 you might think you would eventually give the team a little credit.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #666
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

ROFL

I knew you would take special joy in this win. I almost texted you at the half but didn't want to jinx anything.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #667
Swaggs
Coordinator

Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #668
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

ROFL

Texas was playing with fire that second half by leaving Denmon wide open and got away with it. Good for them. It was pretty obvious from watching Barnes in the second half that he had an evaluation of that half that matched what I saw.

Regardless, it's a good situation when you're team is 17-4. I'll take it.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #669
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I knew you would take special joy in this win. I almost texted you at the half but didn't want to jinx anything.

They hadn't beat Mizzou in over four years. It's a major step for their program, no matter how ugly it was.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:39 PM   #670
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
They hadn't beat Mizzou in over four years. It's a major step for their program, no matter how ugly it was.

I dont know if its that major considering KenPom has had Texas as a better final team 3 out of the 4 years than Mizzou. So Mizzou stole one at Texas 2 years ago. Lets not make a mountain out of a molehill.

This was the highly likely outcome of todays game so we really learned nothing new about either team.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-29-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:41 PM   #671
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:

You are a piece of work.

Never mind they snapped a 69 game home win streak for Kansas.

Never mind that they've been to the Sweet 16 five out of the past nine seasons, with 3 trips to the Elite 8 and one Final Four appearance in that span. No, what was holding the program back was three straight losses to Mizzou, by a total number of points that was less than what Texas won by tonight.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:42 PM   #672
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Mizzou, looking like the solid Sweet 16 team they are!!
Old 01-29-2011, 10:43 PM   #673
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Mizzou, looking like the solid Sweet 16 team they are!!

Probably a fair assessment at this point.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #674
cartman
Death Herald

I really feel sorry for MizzouRah, panerd, SackAttack, and the other sane Mizzou fans that are on the board. They know how to keep things in perspective.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #675
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
You are a piece of work.

Never mind that they've been to the Sweet 16 five out of the past nine seasons, with 3 trips to the Elite 8 and one Final Four appearance in that span. No, what was holding the program back was three straight losses to Mizzou, by a total number of points that was less than what Texas won by tonight.

Finally you admit it.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:46 PM   #676
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
You are a piece of work.

No question that they're having a program-defining season thus far. They've beat two teams in the first six games this year that have been a monkey on their back over the last few seasons. Couldn't have come at a better time for the UT athletic program after the football season they had.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:47 PM   #677
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I really feel sorry for MizzouRah, panerd, SackAttack, and the other sane Mizzou fans that are on the board. They know how to keep things in perspective.

The rest of the world thanks UT fans for their pity. You can now go and watch a high school football game on your network.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:48 PM   #678
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
No question that they're having a program-defining season thus far. They've beat two teams in the first six games this year that have been a monkey on their back over the last few seasons. Couldn't have come at a better time for the UT athletic program after the football season they had.

Well, at least that was a good sendoff for Mizzou as they head to the Big 10.

Oh, wait...
Old 01-29-2011, 10:49 PM   #679
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

A win at Kansas or ESPECIALLY a home win against Missouri does not define the Texas program. Seriously, are you just trying to be annoying. Texas has been rock solid pretty much since the time I was born.

Unless I am in a time warp Missoui is not a Duke, North Carolina, or Kansas programs that you are trying to make them into.

Comparisons to Missouri would be programs like West Virginia, California, and Oklahoma State.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-29-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:53 PM   #680
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
No question that they're having a program-defining season thus far. .

What exactly are they being defined as?
Old 01-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #681
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
What exactly are they being defined as?

A B12 title leader and a final four contender? I'm not sure I buy that second definition just yet, but they've certainly got the wins where and when they needed them thus far. Given that KU has controlled that role in the B12 for several years now, that's without question a program-defining situation for Texas.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #682
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
A B12 title leader and a final four contender? I'm not sure I buy that second definition just yet, but they've certainly got the wins where and when they needed them thus far. Given that KU has controlled that role in the B12 for several years now, that's without question a program-defining situation for Texas.

This is just a silly statement. So a conference can only have one leader, one contender?

You act like UT has taken some monumental step forward or something this year.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:02 PM   #683
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And here I would have thought a Final Four appearance in 2003 or E8 appearances and co-Big XII titles in 2006 and 2008 would have defined the program but I guess it's a home win against the #4 team in the conference.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:03 PM   #684
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:

That definitely would be program defining for Mizzou, as they have never earned even a share of a regular season title in the Big 12, nor reached a Final Four appearance.

Texas has shared two of the past five regular season titles with Kansas, and won another outright under Rick Barnes, as well as appearing in the 2003 Final Four.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:04 PM   #685
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
This is just a silly statement. So a conference can only have one leader, one contender?

You act like UT has taken some monumental step forward or something this year.

This just in......this conference has had only one leader and one contender for over half a decade. I'm a MU fan that lacks 'perspective', but even I'm not that dumb to say otherwise.

You obviously didn't watch UT last year. The change from last year to this year is nothing short of monumental. UT fans have to be thrilled.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:07 PM   #686
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Texas has shared two of the past five regular season titles with Kansas, and won another outright under Rick Barnes, as well as appearing in the 2003 Final Four.

Quote:
This just in......this conference has had only one leader and one contender for over half a decade. I'm a MU fan that lacks 'perspective', but even I'm not that dumb to say otherwise.

So the above statement isn't true?
Old 01-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #687
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
So the above statement isn't true?

KU has been the program in this conference for some time now. Anyone who argues otherwise hasn't been paying attention.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:10 PM   #688
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

King of exaggeration. Texas was ranked #1 in the nation at one point last year if memory serves correct. It may have crumbled down on them but ending the season around the 15-25th best team in the nation isnt really as big of a drop as one might make it seem.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:11 PM   #689
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
KU has been the program in this conference for some time now. Anyone who argues otherwise hasn't been paying attention.

Are you saying they no longer are?
Old 01-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #690
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
King of exaggeration. Texas was ranked #1 in the nation at one point last year if memory serves correct. It may have crumbled down on them but ending the season around the 15-25th best team in the nation isnt really as big of a drop as one might make it seem.

8 seed does not = "15-25th best team in the nation". It was brutal, but I'm sure that debacle makes UT's early run in conference all the more sweeter, especially when they're conquering one demon after another.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #691
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

No argument there, but you act like Texas was light years behind them until this season, which isn't true.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:15 PM   #692
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Are you saying they no longer are?

KU has struggled this year (when comparing to what KU usually does). They also have to play in the tougher division this year while UT has the much easier schedule over the last ten games. UT really should win the conference this year.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #693
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
8 seed does not = "15-25th best team in the nation". It was brutal, but I'm sure that debacle makes UT's early run in conference all the more sweeter, especially when they're conquering one demon after another.

Im sorry but I trust KenPom's rating over that of the NCAA tourny committee. KenPom had Texas 18th last year. Im not saying hes has everything down perfectly but his website is the best Ive found.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #694
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
No argument there, but you act like Texas was light years behind them until this season, which isn't true.

UT was WAY behind them last season. There's no question about that.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:18 PM   #695
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Down what, 10-0 to start the game? Yikes.. enough with the horrible starts Mizzou!

Texas is a scary team, and for good reason.

I like them so much more than I like Kansas, so props for the W tonight. I do love watching Pressey play though.

I hope Bowers is ok.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 01-29-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:20 PM   #696
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
KU has struggled this year (when comparing to what KU usually does). They also have to play in the tougher division this year while UT has the much easier schedule over the last ten games. UT really should win the conference this year.

Thats the thing. A lot of predictions (including LV odds) didnt think Kansas would win the Big 12 this year. Does it mean Kansas is suddenly a weaker program or having a year where they are reloading? I tend to think its the latter. I dont really think Texas has passed Kansas just like I dont think Mizzou passed Texas when they beat them in Texas a couple years back. Its still just one game or one season.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:22 PM   #697
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
UT was WAY behind them last season. There's no question about that.

Oh, OK, didn't realize a program was defined entirely by what they had done the season before.

Butler is really struggling as the second best team in the country this year.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:23 PM   #698
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Down what, 10-0 to start the game? Yikes.. enough with the horrible starts Mizzou!

Texas is a scary team, and for good reason.

I like them so much more than I like Kansas, so props for the W tonight. I do love watching Pressey play though.

I hope Bowers is ok.

Bowers will be fine. He just took a puncher's shot to the jaw. One of those 'on the button' shots that is usually reserved for boxing. Tristan comes down pretty wide with those elbows. He nailed Steve Moore later in the game too. Don't think either was intentional, but probably should have warned the kid to pull them in a bit.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:26 PM   #699
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Oh, OK, didn't realize a program was defined entirely by what they had done the season before.

Butler is really struggling as the second best team in the country this year.

Joke all you want, but I'll likely be right in the end. This team will accomplish more in B12 league play than any other team has before. The table is set now where they should win the B12 Championship.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:27 PM   #700
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, reminded me of a boxing hit to the jaw for sure.

This team is exciting to watch MBBF.. don't fret, we will finish strong!