Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-19-2024, 08:25 PM   #501
Edward64
Head Coach

Pretty quiet, no info on what the Israelis did or did not hit inside Iran in their limited strike. Maybe Israel was successful and sent a message, or maybe Israel wasn't successful. Would like to know what the (attempted) message was if any.

But hopefully, both countries have shot their wads and the things will settle down some.

Israel strikes Iran: What we know so far : NPR
Quote:
A senior U.S. military official confirmed to NPR that the Israeli military had conducted missile strikes against Iran. But little else is known about the extent of the strikes and any potential damage, as both Israel and Iran appeared to downplay the attack on Friday morning — which analysts suggest points to an effort to de-escalate regional tensions.

"This is a very dangerous moment, but I think Israel has done about as intelligent a thing as they can do under this circumstance," Gen. Frank McKenzie, retired commander of U.S. Central Command, told Morning Edition. "No one knows exactly what happened and maybe, just maybe, we'll avoid any possibility of significant escalation as a result of it."
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 09:50 AM   #502
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Pretty quiet, no info on what the Israelis did or did not hit inside Iran in their limited strike. Maybe Israel was successful and sent a message, or maybe Israel wasn't successful. Would like to know what the (attempted) message was if any.

But hopefully, both countries have shot their wads and the things will settle down some.

Israel strikes Iran: What we know so far : NPR

Supposedly, the "message".

I wonder how many of those Israel has, maybe they should share some with Ukraine.

Quote:
Report: Missile fired in alleged Israeli strike on Iran had tech to evade radar detection

Two Western officials tell The New York Times that a missile fired in an alleged Israeli strike on air defenses of the Natanz nuclear site had technology that enabled the weapon to evade Iran’s radar defense systems.

Two Iranian officials also tell the newspaper that Iran did not detect intrusions into its airspace yesterday, including drones, missiles or aircraft.

The outlet says that the warplane from which the missile was launched was “far from Israeli or Iranian airspace” and neither the jet nor the missile entered Jordanian airspace, in a calculated move to keep Amman out of any potential ramifications for the reprisal strike after it helped shoot down drones and missiles fired at Israel last weekend.

The alleged Israeli strike in Iran overnight Thursday-Friday went beyond the scope of several small drones described by Tehran, US media reported Friday.

The strike reportedly included at least one missile launched by Israeli Air Force warplanes that targeted an air defense radar site near Isfahan that was part of an array defending the nearby top-secret Natanz nuclear site.

Satellite imagery shows damage to the radar of an S-300 system at the Eighth Shekari Air Base in Isfahan, The New York Times says.

The report says the attack was deliberately designed to send a message of how a wider attack could look.

“Israel’s use of drones launched from inside Iran and a missile that it could not detect, the Western officials said, was intended to give Iran a taste of what a larger-scale attack might look like,” The New York Times writes. “The attack, they said, was calibrated to make Iran think twice before launching a direct attack on Israel in the future.”
Old 04-20-2024, 10:26 AM   #503
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

It does sound like it has chilled things off and might have ended this round of tit-for-tat. My buddy was worried about getting called back into to his government job, relaxed shortly after the strike.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 12:23 PM   #504
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm struggling with why Columbia would cancel all in-person classes. It seems unfair to the non-protesting students which I assume is the 80 vs 20 of the students.

I get safety is a concern but I'd think Columbia has the financial resources to do what needs to be done to (1) make the campus and attending classes safe (2) separate protesters and non-protesters (3) expel any protestors that "cross the line".

The key risk I see is off campus students who live in a rented house or something. But then that is primarily local law enforcement issue.

Googled and found their endowment below.

Quote:
Columbia University: $13.64 Billion
Columbia's endowment rose 4.7% during FY 2023.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-23-2024 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:18 PM   #505
Edward64
Head Coach

Supposedly going to be ready next week.

Worries me a little that article didn't talk about who was going to be delivering the food. Pretty sad if whoever didn't have supply ships lined up ready to go.

Images show US military building floating pier for Gaza aid
Quote:
The US military has published photos showing a floating pier being built in the Mediterranean Sea to help increase humanitarian aid deliveries to Gaza.

Logistics vessels and personnel can be seen assembling the pier from steel segments, next to a US Navy ship.

Costing about $320m (£255m), the pier and a causeway attached to the shore should be operational in a week.
Quote:
"Right now, you're seeing construction of that floating, temporary pier, and then, you'll start to see construction of the causeway," US defence department spokeswoman Sabrina Singh told reporters in Washington on Monday.

"Eventually, that causeway will be... pushed into the coastline and secured by the [Israel Defense Forces]," she added.

The pier will be ready a week from now, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on Tuesday.

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-01-2024 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:28 PM   #506
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Worries me a little that article didn't talk about who was going to be delivering the food.

We stopped funding the main group that delivers the aid and Israel has been killing the others.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 07:38 PM   #507
RainMaker
General Manager

Also Israeli settlers have been attacking aid trucks with no repercussions. So the whole thing is for show anyway.

RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote