Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Should the Career Rookie Exemption be a permanent fixture?
Yes 5 45.45%
No, end it after this off-season (1965) 4 36.36%
No, end it immediately/I favor an alternative (please indicate) 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2008, 02:51 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Should the Career Rookie Exemption be a permanent fixture?

Well, should it?

The rationale here is that there will always be rookies. And that they will always come into the league and won't be drafted. Given the crapshoot nature of the way it all works, there are other ways we can explore getting players to teams, but the CRE seems to be the most equitable and fair free market way I could do it.

But I'm open to other ideas.

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #2
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I'm not really a fan (even though I'll end up using it this year). I can live with it, though.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
muns
Pro Starter

I like it and think it needs to stay. While its not perfect, (the money thing in ootp seems weird at the moment, hopefully will get addressed in a patch???) It def gives an advantage over someone who isnt offering any money, and if you spread out some cash on a few people you should be ok and the system should work out ok.

It also provides that challenge to once again budget your money wisely
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

I would like to see a one round draft or something in-game at the end of the season if we were to continue with drafting players. I have two reasons for this. First if an owner is unable to make any moves in the offseason they will still get a quality prospect in their system. Second if the best team to miss out on the playoffs also has the most money then they essentially get to pick their prospect since they can give the player the most money. I just think we need to make sure the worst teams get the best prospects but more importantly that even if an owner goes inactive and has not set the AI to take over they still will get one good player.
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I'm not in favor of it. I think it mocks us trying to spend more wisely. Let's have it be done this year, so all teams that haven't done it yet can do it, but after that, no mas, IMO.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:00 PM   #6
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Just to note, I was not paying attention when I voted. I do not want it to end immediately but rather after this off-season.
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:27 PM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Would someone break this tie already?

Or better yet, if the vote remains at this rate, we'll discount my vote and it'll be 4-5 and we'll dump the CRE after this season.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-09-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #8
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Would someone break this tie already?

Or better yet, if the vote remains at this rate, we'll discount my vote and it'll be 4-5 and we'll dump the CRE after this season.

I would still like to use my CRE, actually, but the way this game keeps dicking me over on offers to kids, I won't get to use it on anyone.

Well, unless I want to save myself $300K or something. Gimme a break.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:51 PM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I would still like to use my CRE, actually, but the way this game keeps dicking me over on offers to kids, I won't get to use it on anyone.

I'm considering an experimental draft next year that would be one round and take place all in one night and basically people would have to be there or they'd simply get whatever was left after we all went to town.

Like, where there is a "draft list" of eligible players, we pick from that list and go from there. I dunno...just brainstorming. We can talk about it more if you all want.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:28 PM   #10
muns
Pro Starter

While I like the CRE in theory, im with Chief and company and i too would be pulling my hair out if i offered guys 8 mil and change and they signed with another team for a MLC.

So Id be up for a draft, however i think its gonna be tough to not let people send in a list or let the cpu pick for them when its their turn if they cant make it.

All we would be doing is screwing a few that couldnt be there for the draft to please the few that are getting screwed over now with the CRE'S.

Last edited by muns : 07-09-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:31 PM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
While I like the CRE in theory, im with Chief and company and i too would be pulling my hair out if i offered guys 8 mil and change and they signed with another team for a MLC.

So Id be up for a draft, however i think its gonna be tough to not let people send in a list or let the cpu pick for them when its their turn if they cant make it.

All we would be doing is screwing a few that couldnt be there for the draft to please the few that are getting screwed over now with the CRE'S.

I'm up for whatever. Just want to keep things relatively 1) low maintenance and 2) fair.

Perhaps instead of bothering with any of that, we just need to go to start having arbitration after the first few years for players, since right now, it's turned completely off. That'll tip the scales a bit for those teams that are stocked up on youngsters and keep people engaged and dealing, since they'll eventually have to.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:29 AM   #12
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

Same here, I offered two different guys over 10million+ (in one case 13million) to see them go elsewhere for a minor league salary..

With these young players, I really think OOTP isn't handling free agency very well for them.. the more we do this, the better a draft sounds.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:14 AM   #13
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I would have no problem putting together a list of 16 people (assuming I win the Classic) for a one round draft.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:26 AM   #14
Huckleberry
College Starter

I like the one-round draft idea.

As stated by others, the guys that are turning down ~$10M to sign minor league deals are taking some enjoyment out of the game. Has that issue been reported to Markus by anyone? I understand a guy taking less money, but it's beyond reasonable.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:39 AM   #15
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I don't think he'll consider it "a bug" because the game is effectively built for people to play with a draft, not without one. Given the other bigger issues he's labeled "no fix" I doubt this one would get higher billing, to be honest.

That said, the one-round draft is what we'll do then. We'll have people submit preference lists, the draft order would be known ahead of time and then we'll draft based on that. Shouldn't be too painful for me to put together and it'll be far better than what we do now, with the roll of the dice. At least for the "top" prospects anyway.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:54 AM   #16
muns
Pro Starter

Sounds good to me. Thanks DC