Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-08-2008, 03:52 AM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1965 CREs List

Each team that did not make the FOOL Classic, gets one (1) consolation rookie exemption (CRE).

You can apply this exemption to ANY rookie that you sign as a free agent during the 1965 off-season free agent period.

You must claim the exemption on that player no later than Thursday night at 10pm (thursday night sim) and you must indicate who you choose in this thread. Otherwise, you don't get the exemption.

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:58 AM   #2
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Since I made it last year, I didn't pay attention to what this actually means. Can you flesh out what the exemption does?
Old 07-08-2008, 04:02 AM   #3
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Since I made it last year, I didn't pay attention to what this actually means. Can you flesh out what the exemption does?

1) I deleted the feeder leagues last year. They weren't working right. All of the players in the feeders went to our free agency pool. They are there now. (Incidentally, I recreated the feeders before the start of the past season, they should be working okay now.)
2) Kids under 17, won't appear and you can't sign them until they turn 17.
3) You bid on them like normal, except now you get a chance to exempt 1 contract of any rookie who hasn't appeared in our league.

For the purposes of this exemption, rookie refers to a player who have NEVER played organized ball at any level of FOOL. Meaning Rookie through Majors. High School and College are kosher, of course.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-08-2008 at 04:14 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:27 AM   #4
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Oh crap, this is every year? I thought this was a one time thing. Well, I probably low-balled my key guys then, crap.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
muns
Pro Starter

I like this a lot. Nice to see it back. Just more stuff to think about. I have no money left to offer due to my offers already out for FA's but gotta remember to budget this for next year!

Last edited by muns : 07-08-2008 at 09:04 AM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 09:20 AM   #6
Tellistto
College Prospect

DC, I'm seeing 15 year olds in the FA pool. They aren't s'posed to be there, they should be in high school if they are anywhere.

Tell

Hattrick - Fizzle United (222968)
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:20 AM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellistto View Post
DC, I'm seeing 15 year olds in the FA pool. They aren't s'posed to be there, they should be in high school if they are anywhere.

Tell

They came from the deletion of the feeders last season. That's why they are there. But I'm pretty sure I changed the rules back to make it so only players 17 and older are available. So...you should load the league file again and make sure you have the newest one, because I did a late night change (at like 3am) and you shouldn't be seeing those players.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:21 AM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Oh crap, this is every year? I thought this was a one time thing. Well, I probably low-balled my key guys then, crap.

There are still a glut of kids from the old feeders that can be signed.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #9
Tellistto
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
They came from the deletion of the feeders last season. That's why they are there. But I'm pretty sure I changed the rules back to make it so only players 17 and older are available. So...you should load the league file again and make sure you have the newest one, because I did a late night change (at like 3am) and you shouldn't be seeing those players.

There is no new league file available, and I see many many 15 year olds in my list of available FA's.

Nobody else is seeing them?

Tell

Old 07-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
There is no new league file available, and I see many many 15 year olds in my list of available FA's.

Nobody else is seeing them?

Tell

You can't actually sign them, though, can you?

I imagine they'll show up, but they're not eligible for you to sign them, since they're not 17 yet. They came from the old feeders when I deleted them, so that's why there are so many. Annoying, but by turning on the age restrictions, it'll at least prevent them from being in our league yet and we can in the meantime, sit, drool, shortlist and wait for them to mature.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-08-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #11
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I may have seen one 15 year old. Certainly several 16 and 17 year olds. I synched around 9:15 AM Eastern or so.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #12
gstelmack
Pro Starter

And I was able to make offers on the 16 year olds.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #13
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
And I was able to make offers on the 16 year olds.

Hmm...strange. Lemme try this.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-08-2008 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #14
Tellistto
College Prospect

In my pending offers, that I made to people before I realized they were 15, I have a contract offer to Hector Miranda, 1b, 5 star prospect, 15 years old.

Tell

Edit: Also to Denis O'neal, rp.

Last edited by Tellistto : 07-08-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:56 AM   #15
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
In my pending offers, that I made to people before I realized they were 15, I have a contract offer to Hector Miranda, 1b, 5 star prospect, 15 years old.

Tell

Edit: Also to Denis O'neal, rp.

Weird. I guess I never use the free agents list, so I think we've discovered another loophole/bug.

Said players won't be able to join the majors until they are 17, since I've restricted them. So I guess you can sign them after all...strange.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:39 PM   #16
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

St. Petersburg designates RF Marcos Melendez.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:48 AM   #17
JeeberD
General Manager

El Paso designates CF Dave "Jazz" Thompson

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:26 AM   #18
Huckleberry
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
El Paso designates CF Dave "Jazz" Thompson

How much did you give Thompson? Just curious to see if I can get angry about another one.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:28 AM   #19
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
How much did you give Thompson? Just curious to see if I can get angry about another one.

I still think mine was worse than yours. Not much that me getting angry about it does though..
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:38 AM   #20
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post

$16.19 million for one year.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:40 AM   #21
Huckleberry
College Starter

Damn. Now I can't be mad.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #22
gstelmack
Pro Starter

FWIW, I have four guys under 17 who signed contracts, including a pair of 15 year olds. Not that I mind ;-)

Are we keeping all the extra minor leagues? I've basically emptied my lowest minor league team (too many 26+ year olds who'll never amount to anything clogging up promotions for the young guys), and I'm not sure we still need them.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:26 AM   #23
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
FWIW, I have four guys under 17 who signed contracts, including a pair of 15 year olds. Not that I mind ;-)

Are we keeping all the extra minor leagues? I've basically emptied my lowest minor league team (too many 26+ year olds who'll never amount to anything clogging up promotions for the young guys), and I'm not sure we still need them.

Should we just go back to three levels of minors? I'm agnostic. I do notice that there is some clutter down there and not enough players to fill them.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #24
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Should we just go back to three levels of minors? I'm agnostic. I do notice that there is some clutter down there and not enough players to fill them.

I'd rather keep them as I am not convinced that 17 year olds playing in Single A will do that great.

We have ghost players on so there is no reason the leagues have to be full, so people can get rid of the minor leaguers they don't want.. we don't have to keep the teams full.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #25
muns
Pro Starter

I actually have had a few one star guys improve to the point where they are next in line on my AAA roster or AA roster to be called up. I didnt like having the lower minor leagues at first, but now i like em for that fact that one or 2 guys can potentially develop into something you like.

Plus what Alan said
Old 07-10-2008, 10:02 AM   #26
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
I actually have had a few one star guys improve to the point where they are next in line on my AAA roster or AA roster to be called up. I didnt like having the lower minor leagues at first, but now i like em for that fact that one or 2 guys can potentially develop into something you like.

Plus what Alan said

That's good news. And yes, ghost players are indeed on. Smart idea.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #27
gstelmack
Pro Starter

That's fine, my main problem was OOTP doesn't let you view them all at once (if I can make a big screen that takes up my whole 1920x1200 widescreen monitor, why won't OOTP come up with a layout that let's me have 6 or 8 windows open on the transactions screen?), and the minor issue of folks being able to sign LOTS of minor leaguers. But I can deal with it, my clogging was all 28 year old 1-* guys anyway.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #28
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
That's fine, my main problem was OOTP doesn't let you view them all at once (if I can make a big screen that takes up my whole 1920x1200 widescreen monitor, why won't OOTP come up with a layout that let's me have 6 or 8 windows open on the transactions screen?), and the minor issue of folks being able to sign LOTS of minor leaguers. But I can deal with it, my clogging was all 28 year old 1-* guys anyway.

We could simply make minor league free agency happen sooner to prevent the stockpiling of talent. But I hadn't thought of it before.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:27 AM   #29
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I can get 6 windows on my widescreen laptop if I got to full screen. Not sure if that helps you any or not.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #30
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

To prevent real stockpiling, I could simply place limits on all level of minors 25 players for Triple-A to Single-A and then 40 for SS-A and Rookie ball. Most people won't do that, but if they do, that'll be incentive to pitch the 1-star crappers.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:51 AM   #31
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I can get 6 windows on my widescreen laptop if I got to full screen. Not sure if that helps you any or not.

I'll have to try again then. To be clear, this was setting the resolution, and then watching OOTP just stretch the windows. If I need to do something to create those extra windows, I'm just missing it.

Last edited by gstelmack : 07-10-2008 at 10:51 AM.
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:52 AM   #32
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
To prevent real stockpiling, I could simply place limits on all level of minors 25 players for Triple-A to Single-A and then 40 for SS-A and Rookie ball. Most people won't do that, but if they do, that'll be incentive to pitch the 1-star crappers.

That actually sounds pretty reasonable, just putting the 25 man limits in place (OOTP does that anyway if you let it manage your minors).
Old 07-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #33
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'll have to try again then. To be clear, this was setting the resolution, and then watching OOTP just stretch the windows. If I need to do something to create those extra windows, I'm just missing it.

I didn't do it much since I play ootp windowed mode (since I usually do it while multitasking).. but I know last time someone asked me about it, i found by changing the resolution wasn't enough.. I actually had to be in full screen mode and then when I went to the transaction window I had 6 windows instead of 4.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:16 AM   #34
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
That actually sounds pretty reasonable, just putting the 25 man limits in place (OOTP does that anyway if you let it manage your minors).

I've set the minors at 25-man, except for SS-A and Rookie, which are at 40. It'll work better that way.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #35
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've set the minors at 25-man, except for SS-A and Rookie, which are at 40. It'll work better that way.

The 40 man SS-A and Rookie are good especially to help you with the various management of the teams in regards to DFA or whatnot... But anyone expecting to keep 40 people there likely won't get very good results out of any of them I bet.. seems that when players don't play regularly they don't improve much.. so 25 in my opinion is likely the maximum team size you want in the minors, and you probably would rather have something like 17-19 players for development purposes. (Not talking about team size limits here)
Old 07-10-2008, 11:43 AM   #36
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:

i have no problem with that at all. They wont develop the way you hope them to develop with 40 on the roster anyway (no playing time or little time), so it doesnt make a lot of sense to "stock pile" guys.

DC anyway you can leve the single A unlimted (during like FA and then switch it back to 40 for the season) I bring a lot of guys in dump them there (to compare em side by side) and then send them to where ever i want them to go. Limiting that to 40 hurts me a bit, i cut back anyway, its just easier to view em all and make my cuts from there.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:17 PM   #37
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

When does that kick in? Because I am over those limits right now, and I am going to need more time than between now and tonight's deadline to make those cuts.

If it's tonight and something drastic happens, like the computer cutting players or what not, I highly recommend not putting that limit in until tomorrow night (the start of the season) to give us more time to make changes if needed.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:23 PM   #38
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
When does that kick in? Because I am over those limits right now, and I am going to need more time than between now and tonight's deadline to make those cuts.

If it's tonight and something drastic happens, like the computer cutting players or what not, I highly recommend not putting that limit in until tomorrow night (the start of the season) to give us more time to make changes if needed.

You're cool. It won't go into effect until after tonight's sim. I'll impose the limits after tonight's sim, upload the file and then you all will be able to move players off to get under the limits.