Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

1964 Season Thread

Tonight, we're simming to Opening Day. Trade deadline is tonight at 10pm eastern. After tonight's sim will be the last chance you get to fix your lineups and such alike and get your team where you want 'em in anticipation of tomorrow's downloading of exports on my end...and then the start of the season this weekend.

Should be awesome.

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Looking forward to it. Want to see how this team will do, now that it has some (not a lot, but some) actual talent on it.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
muns
Pro Starter

Good luck this season guys. I wont be around for the next few days due to me being in various gyms all weekend sweating my balls off recruiting in Hershey PA (anyone ever been to Chocolate town?). So I wont be exporting anymore files till maybe Sunday and I wont be able to answer any PM's as far as trades go. My stuff should be set and ready to go DC as I exported.

Usually I try to do something more in depth but one, I just dont have the time this season and two, its early and who knows if someone is gonna do a sweet trade in the next file.

Quick glance I see Baltimore and Charlestown finishing 1 and 2 in the CL. They look to be heads and tails better than everyone else.

In the RL (which should be a tough fight all year) I went with Valdosta and St. Louis. I really think though it could be a matter of 4 or 5 teams taking it there and it wouldnt surprise me one bit. Ton of depth in that division.

I like Baltimores starting pitching as long their pen can hold up to beat Valdosta in the Fool Classic.

Should be fun and im ready to get this thing started. I feel like all i did this week was play around with this at work..... addicted already. Talk to you guys in a few

MUNS

Last edited by muns : 06-26-2008 at 05:06 PM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Wow.. only one offseason and I'm feeling the pressure to win the RL.

I think your opinion of my team is better than mine unfortunately. I barely managed to piece together a pitching staff and 1/2 of a lineup.. But I have no depth at all, especially in the field.

My first glance leaves me feeling that it is St.Louis's to lose this year, and I'll be lucky to finish in the top half!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Agreed that the RL is finally deeper than the CL, but the CL is always tough. Hartford, Charleston, Baltimore and even New York have the goods to get it done, though Baltimore is beyond stacked and Ben's Charleston team have been the goods since he took over.

In the RL? Man 'o man. Well the target is on my squad. We got the monkey off our back after FINALLY winning a ring after two failed attempts. I won't deny that I'll be glad to see the LCS go away if the vote goes that way, because even if we don't win it, I hate leaving it to chance after having a great year, because it's such a crapshoot. Trust me, if your team wins the pennant, you'll appreciate not getting that squashed by some team that finished 20 games behind you and manages to sneak to the FOOL Classic only to lose the title.

I think Colorado is a darkhorse. Valdosta has reloaded in the move from Gary for sure and all of the other teams in the league that didn't have owners I think have improved considerably.

Colorado scares me a lot. They had talent to start with. The only thing we have going for us in St. Louis is pitching depth. We're REALLY long in the pitching category and that might help us, but the competition will make our guys have some work to do.

I've never had spring training on, but do you guys wanna do it this year? I think it could be a nice "prelude" for us.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Spring training is fine with me as long as it doesn't mess up your weekly sim schedule any.

Also DC, check out my post up in one of the sticky threads about a problem I'm having with the minors in FOOL currently. I need a little help if possible to figure out what is going on!
Old 06-26-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Spring training is fine with me as long as it doesn't mess up your weekly sim schedule any.

Also DC, check out my post up in one of the sticky threads about a problem I'm having with the minors in FOOL currently. I need a little help if possible to figure out what is going on!

I didn't do a poll on this, but to whet our thistle on the season I've turned on spring training. We don't have injuries and I'll turn fatigue off for this part of the season, so you don't have to worry about your guys being less than fresh to start the year, but we can still get excited and have "more information" to set your lineups for the final time.

I responded to your post, too. I dunno what it could be other than the whole "auto-set" minors thing I would do to clear out some DFAs. I won't do that anymore, though.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:16 PM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

New York ran the train on spring training. Colorado had the best spring training record in the RL. It's gonna be a hell of a year. I can't wait.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-26-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:24 PM   #9
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
New York ran the train on spring training. Colorado had the best spring training record in the RL. It's gonna be a hell of a year. I can't wait.

Hey another team tied Colorado in the RL!

My pitching was as good as I hoped it would be. My batting is as bad as I feared it would be..
Old 06-26-2008, 09:32 PM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Hey another team tied Colorado in the RL!

My pitching was as good as I hoped it would be. My batting is as bad as I feared it would be..

Shoot, I didn't see that. Awesome! It's gonna be a crazy year. El Paso right there with us, too. I'm chomping at the bit for the season.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:36 PM   #11
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Well, I did better in the spring than I thought I would....

Well here goes nothing! I can't wait.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:42 PM   #12
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Crap, Spring Training in the Lower Rio Grande sucked. Hopefully the regular season can go a little better.

What I am most excited to see is how the rookie SPs do. My #1 and #2 starters are rookies. They are also both in the Top 10 Prospects list. Chunky Medina and Ron Wilson have some pressure on them. Medina did fairly well in the spring. These guys are my story this season I think, good or bad.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:56 AM   #13
JeeberD
General Manager

Spring went better than I expected. Except that my young star CF, Roberto Marquez, had a HORRIBLE spring. Hopefully he steps it up now that the real season is upon us...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:15 AM   #14
gstelmack
Pro Starter

We weren't last! Yay!
Old 06-27-2008, 10:42 AM   #15
Tellistto
College Prospect

My team will hinge on how well the new middle relievers do this season. Looked pretty solid in the spring for them. I could really use a solid third basemen that can hit and defend, and a first basement of the same caliber. I got two kids that might fit the bill, one will spend the season in the minors, the other will back up first and third for me this season.

Tell

Hattrick - Fizzle United (222968)
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:24 PM   #16
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I've collected the league imports and now it's season time this weekend. Because I have company, because it's first FOOL season in the past two weeks and because I'm antsy as I'm sure most of you are...I'm going to sim until May 13th tonight and then upload the HTML.

From there, I generally just do the season sim when I get a chance over the weekend (The nightly schedule is a bit demanding, eh?) but well before sometime Sunday night at 10pm, when the league file goes up, as the regular season is done.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:20 AM   #17
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Hopefully Brooklyn can keep it up and post a winning record next year. Also have to make a note to myself not to turn on the coaching transactions for minor leaguers as the AI really put me in debt by dropping players like crazy.
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:30 AM   #18
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've collected the league imports and now it's season time this weekend. Because I have company, because it's first FOOL season in the past two weeks and because I'm antsy as I'm sure most of you are...I'm going to sim until May 13th tonight and then upload the HTML.

From there, I generally just do the season sim when I get a chance over the weekend (The nightly schedule is a bit demanding, eh?) but well before sometime Sunday night at 10pm, when the league file goes up, as the regular season is done.

Do you update the HTML as you do that, too? Or is there usually just one update like this, and then it's wait to Sunday?

Not saying anything bad one way or the other, BTW, just have no idea how you guys like to do it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:36 AM   #19
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

After being last in the RL in Spring Training, Rio Grande is sitting in 3rd. Looks like we made it through April on the back of some decent pitching. Two 6 game winners, including rookie Chunky Medina. The other, Wilson is at 4-4. So far those guys are living up to the hype, very nice.

Had some rough times hitting the ball in April it looks like, but some of the guys seem to be turning it around in May. Hope we can keep it up and finish high in the standings.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:30 AM   #20
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Do you update the HTML as you do that, too? Or is there usually just one update like this, and then it's wait to Sunday?

Not saying anything bad one way or the other, BTW, just have no idea how you guys like to do it.

In the past, neither the HTML or the league file were updated. But in this case? I've updated the HTML and I uploaded a new file too for viewing purposes (I obviously won't be downloading any new exports until after the season is over)

I'll be updating the HTML as we go.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:04 AM   #21
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Results to June 25th (all-star team announcement) are uploading now.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:17 AM   #22
Tellistto
College Prospect

Must turn on AI lineups/depth charts if I ever let them do AI roster moves again. My team has the talent, but going forward with totally exhausted players in the outfield and middle infield isn't going to help us catch Charleston with all their talent. Ah well.

Tell

Old 06-28-2008, 09:27 AM   #23
Huckleberry
College Starter

So, uh, what are we allowed to do during the season? Is it possible to sign a free agent and insert them into the squad?

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:41 AM   #24
Tellistto
College Prospect

Can't do anything during the season sim. This is an Off Season League, remember.

Tell

Old 06-28-2008, 09:53 AM   #25
Commo_Soldier
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellistto View Post
Must turn on AI lineups/depth charts if I ever let them do AI roster moves again. My team has the talent, but going forward with totally exhausted players in the outfield and middle infield isn't going to help us catch Charleston with all their talent. Ah well.

Tell

Looks like you forgot to set your 3B starter in addition to your depth chart unless you meant to do that.
Commo_Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:12 AM   #26
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
So, uh, what are we allowed to do during the season? Is it possible to sign a free agent and insert them into the squad?

Squirm in anguish and misery at the sight of your team flailing about and not being able to do anything about it.

Luckily, unlike other leagues...this isn't a process that you have to wait years to undergo, just...a day or so. Then, back to plotting, planning and making it all hurt less.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:30 AM   #27
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Big lead at midseason for the Chew, and #3 hitter and reigning MVP Dave Myers is playing poorly (.757 OPS this year, copmared to 1.007 last year). Once he heats up, looks like a runaway for Charleston this year.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #28
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm finishing the season now and uploading the HTML and the file.

It's like Christmas...sorta.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:34 AM   #29
Ben E Lou

Quote:

Tell
Ouch! I think if you put a backup in the depth chart to replace your guy when he's tired, that won't happen.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #30
Tellistto
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commo_Soldier View Post
Looks like you forgot to set your 3B starter in addition to your depth chart unless you meant to do that.

I made the mistake of letting the ai do roster moves. While I have no arguements with the players it decided to add to the active roster, I neglected to give it free rein over the lineup and depth chart.

So...No shortstop back, no second base backup, no third base backup except the guy who was backing up the third basemen(but hey he made the all star team!) and no outfield backup to speak of.

There are players on the roster to fill those spots, but alas, the GM didn't tell the manager he could mess with the lineups.

Next time if I turn on roster moves, I'll just do it during the final sim to opening day so that I don't have this irritation.

Still, the team isn't doing utterly horrible, just not quite as well as I think it could.

Tell

Old 06-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #31
Ben E Lou

For those of you who are around and want to talk about the season real-time...

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...hp?do=cchatbox
Old 06-28-2008, 11:20 AM   #32
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

League file for the 1964 season and HTML are going up now. You can sign anyone in FA you want from this point forward. The next export will be due before the start of the FOOL Classic on Monday night at 10pm.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #33
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Crapola. It kills me to see my lead off hitter hitting .213 with an OBP of .285. And he is getting worse with each month.

My first base tandem of 'Buck-Cherry' is so-so. Cherry started mostly last season so I went with him. Buck is playing so much better though and should be in there every day. Kicking myself on that one.

My pitching is keeping my in the top three of the RL so far. I am happy with that part of my team so far.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:28 AM   #34
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Well crap. The whole season is done? Woohoo, can't wait to see everything then.

We all know who ends up in the FOOL Classic though....
Old 06-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #35
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Big lead at midseason for the Chew, and #3 hitter and reigning MVP Dave Myers is playing poorly (.757 OPS this year, copmared to 1.007 last year). Once he heats up, looks like a runaway for Charleston this year.
Myers picked it up a bit in the second half, finishing at .790--still well below his career average. The team overall did very well, though.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:40 AM   #36
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

League file should be up. HTML isn't, but that's due to the stupidity of the system. Trying to get it up before I leave tho. St. Louis v. Charleston in a best-of-9 game square dance on Monday night!
Old 06-28-2008, 11:56 AM   #37
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Of the teams that were in actual competition with each other Rio Grande finishes tied with the 3rd best record, or 5th if you count everyone. Much better then I expected after that horrible spring.

Chunky Medina just missed out on 20 wins, and does lead both leagues in K's. Time to dive into things further now...
Old 06-28-2008, 12:07 PM   #38
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Looks like I had the bats in the RL, but where I sucked it was pitching, which I figured as much.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:53 AM   #39
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

This is a tough one for me to decide how I feel about. My team ended up playing very well after a poor start. But we clearly need to take another step to catch with St. Louis, and there's no bonus for second. I made the mistake of not literally going over every detail of my roster and getting it set. I don't blame my season on that, and the difference between first and second was too large for lineup changes to make it up, but I don't think I did 100% what I needed to.

I think I have a lot of talent on this team, but I have some pieces to mix and match better, and some nice looking kids ready to make the leap.

Good luck to St. Louis and Charleston in the Series.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:09 PM   #40
muns
Pro Starter

I did alright, Was very surprised how my pen fared, and dissapointed at my offense. My pitching and batting seemed to switch roles on me this year with the exception of Lawerence Green. Boy that was a hell of an idea to add him into the deal

Good luck two Charlestown and St. Louis for the title. Should be an interesting match up.

Im looking forward to trying to get some deals done, and trying to find some missing pieces.

Last edited by muns : 06-29-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #41
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Tonight is the FOOL Classic. I'll be capturing exports and after the Classic, will sim to the start of free agency.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #42
Tellistto
College Prospect

So...it's a good idea for us to get our FA deals done before the season starts rather than waiting till after the season, yes? We aren't going to have more than one shot at signing our FA's after the season, according to the sim schedule.

Tell

Old 06-30-2008, 02:06 PM   #43
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
So...it's a good idea for us to get our FA deals done before the season starts rather than waiting till after the season, yes? We aren't going to have more than one shot at signing our FA's after the season, according to the sim schedule.

Tell

Nope, this is the last chance you have to attempt to re-sign your own guys before we launch free agency after tonight.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:22 PM   #44
muns
Pro Starter

DC I have a question and a request. I sent a file in last night thinking that we had one due. So if i re send another one tonight it should overite the first one?

Also For next season any chance we could add a file inbetween the fool classic and the start of FA (IE last night) for us to try to resign our players? That way we have 2 chances rather than one? Just a thought, not trying to make ya work more than you already do.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #45
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
DC I have a question and a request. I sent a file in last night thinking that we had one due. So if i re send another one tonight it should overite the first one?

Also For next season any chance we could add a file inbetween the fool classic and the start of FA (IE last night) for us to try to resign our players? That way we have 2 chances rather than one? Just a thought, not trying to make ya work more than you already do.

Yeah, if you send another export up it'll copy over what you did last night.

And yes, starting next week, we can do a sim in-between the end of the regular season and the FOOL Classic to allow you all two chances to re-sign your FAs.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:37 PM   #46
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, if you send another export up it'll copy over what you did last night.

And yes, starting next week, we can do a sim in-between the end of the regular season and the FOOL Classic to allow you all two chances to re-sign your FAs.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2008, 02:40 PM   #47
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Cheapskate.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:45 PM   #48
Tellistto
College Prospect

Other option is to just resign the players you know you want to keep during the offseason before the season they become FA's. Not like we have to worry about career ending injuries in this league.

Tell

Old 06-30-2008, 02:53 PM   #49
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Cheapskate.

You got me there
Old 06-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #50
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Other option is to just resign the players you know you want to keep during the offseason before the season they become FA's. Not like we have to worry about career ending injuries in this league.

Tell

Thats true, however there will be a difference in what the player is asking for if the guy has had a crappy year. For example my man Tom Wallace. Hit 304-24 homers and had 117 RBI's the previous season (1963) Wanted over 10 mil at the beg of this season. Now after a sub par year he hit 251 15 homers and 85 rbi, he wants like 5 mil or something (guess, i cant remember what he exactly wanted) so it would make some sense to wait, however that could bite you in the butt if a guy has a career year.

With the addition of the new file, i think it just helps and adds another session where we can try to sure up our guys ( carreer year or sub par year).