Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2023, 02:28 PM   #3251
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I know this is tongue in cheek, but in all seriousness, what is emboldening these people is that the entirety of society does not live under the same worldview as they do, and they know it. Back in the 1850s, yes, that's exactly what would happen. But I don't own a gun and am not interested in violence. I think the calculus is that most of "those people" they are confronting aren't going to level up, so they are free to be the bully.

It seems to me that there are two options: (1) get LE involved, and (2) publicly out the fuckers so they are shamed and perhaps lose their jobs. I know people cringe about how we've overdone #2 in this country thanks to social media, but it's really a substitute for lack of LE doing their jobs (either to protect the fuckers or due to weak laws/unwilling prosecutors) and a proxy for the old west way we used to go about getting revenge. Everyone can talk about someone having a bad moment that shouldn't ruin their lives, but 150 years ago, that "bad moment" got you killed.

Was I being tongue in cheek? Honestly, I can't say that for sure. I wrestle wholeheartedly with the thought of this incident not being a big deal because it did not happened to a member of my family. Definitely don't want to be that guy. If it were a member of my family, would the reaction I described be toxic? Yes. Would it do more harm that good? Absolutely. Have I had to be talked off acting in a less severe fashion for a lot less when it came to a family member especially a female one? Yes. Of course, we seen this before and know that anyone that approaches him automatically becomes a threat and then he gets to be "fearful for his life" and well we know what is next. Funny how that works.

I disagree with your calculus. I don't think it is a worldview problem. I don't think everyone in the 1850s had the worldview that would cause them to react in the way I described above. Some did, others did not. I also don't think everyone had the worldview to do what that guy did either. First, because of the possibility that what I described might have happened and second because our legal system may have looked coincidentally looked the other way. Before all the stand your ground laws, open carry etc., we did not have a rash of people randomly pulling guns on people for backing into their driveway. Acting in the way that guy acted came with a risk not just from the legal system but the victim's family, friends etc and you may have been more worried about the latter than you were the former. The legal system now encourages the behavior that he displayed. At the same time, we have made it just as punitive or even more so to react in any way not even what I described above. I believe that people that are inclined to react in any way much less what I described don't because our society is more worried about the reaction. We have discouraged that sort of behavior and logically I can say rightfully so. I think people that are inclined to act in the manner this guy did are doing so more because we have encouraged that sort of behavior. That is without taking any of those other factors that we know are always in play in these cases into consideration that encourage/discourage behavior.

I am not even sure if the legal system would allow THAT woman to either come out of the car with her guns a blazing after the guy slapped her car or to go back to her car to get her gun after he pointed a gun at her head. Maybe the expectation is for her to call the authorities instead of taking things into her own hands. If we made as clear that one of those things were allowed in the same way we are allowing for the guy to "stand his ground" or "be fearful for his life" (I am not saying that either of those represent his defense but maybe), I think we would see more people standing up to the bully if they are inclined to do so.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 05:58 PM   #3252
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Why are sporting events never hit?
Yet rinky dink schools are
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 06:28 PM   #3253
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It's weird to me that you can point a gun directly at someone within 2 inches of their head and get a charge that specially states without intent to kill. Maybe that's just me though.

Hey, he was just trying to give the other person a really quick haircut. Not a great haircut, mind, but a quick one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I remember someone saying once that TV gives us a very skewed view of LE investigations.

Yeah, for instance, clearance rates continue to suck more and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Why are sporting events never hit?
Yet rinky dink schools are

We can't risk having to postpone/cancel sporting events, or even leagues. Someone might lose revenue! Kids, they're a replaceable resource.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 07:15 PM   #3254
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don't remember this story at all but I am posting it given my earlier posts.

The verdict.

Jury - Former FSU, NFL WR Travis Rudolph not guilty of murder - ESPN

Here is the original story.

Ex-Florida State receiver Travis Rudolph charged with first-degree murder - ESPN
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 06-19-2023, 01:49 AM   #3255
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

the guns were blazing tonight.
Old 06-19-2023, 01:10 PM   #3256
Edward64
Head Coach

Unfortunately ...
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 12:28 AM   #3257
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

https://www.fox6now.com/news/milwauk...g-chambers-mlk

Here's another one that started from within the juneteenth celebrants. a catfight between two girls escalated to 6 people getting shot
Old 06-27-2023, 05:42 AM   #3258
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
As I've seen others mention this as the home for all general mass shooting information/discussion:

Colorado Springs shooting: Suspect faces murder and hate crime charges, court records show | CNN

5 killed, 25 injured (most but not all with gunshot wounds I believe I have read elsewhere) in a shooting at a LGBT night club in Colorado Springs, CO. The gunman was disarmed by two patrons.

Club Q mass shooter Anderson Aldrich gets over 2,000 years in prison after family begs judge to 'lock this animal away to the depths of hell' | CNN

I don't know who should get the kudos (not sure this is the right word) for this. This feels like one of the quickest resolutions to these types of cases. Well other than the shooter dying in the incident of course.
Old 06-27-2023, 09:11 AM   #3259
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Club Q mass shooter Anderson Aldrich gets over 2,000 years in prison after family begs judge to 'lock this animal away to the depths of hell' | CNN

I don't know who should get the kudos (not sure this is the right word) for this. This feels like one of the quickest resolutions to these types of cases. Well other than the shooter dying in the incident of course.

The guy plead out because if the feds go through with a case, its the death penalty. He's only 23 so he could live for a long time yet. He might be begging for the death penalty at some point. Even with the advances of modern medicine, I don't think he's going to make it over 2000 years though.
Old 06-29-2023, 02:26 PM   #3260
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Welp. There's that.

GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 02:47 PM   #3261
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I was curious about this case but am not surprised at the result. I think getting a guilty verdict would've tough.
Old 06-29-2023, 09:54 PM   #3262
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

And may Scot Peterson enjoy his $8702/month pension. Because Lord knows he's earned it.
Old 06-29-2023, 10:07 PM   #3263
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Damn son, who gets a pension like that these days? In my day the school resource officer was a burnout who drove around in his shitty car all day looking for skipping kids, he probably made $7.50 an hour. I wonder if he stuck around for another 40 years.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 11:00 PM   #3264
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
And may Scot Peterson enjoy his $8702/month pension. Because Lord knows he's earned it.

Well, he's never going find another job ...
Old 07-02-2023, 03:32 AM   #3265
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

The Wheel of Fate has been spun and lands on Baltimore
'Mass shooting incident' in Baltimore, police confirm multiple victims

Multiple fatalities and sozens injured overnight. I guess they ran out of fireworks.
Old 08-13-2023, 07:10 AM   #3266
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

LOL!

Educators ‘outraged’ at legal argument used in Richneck case

Yes, I know it is a legal tactic to try to get the lawsuit dismissed. But just the mental picture of someone standing up in a public forum and saying something like this is morbidly hilarious to me.
Old 08-13-2023, 10:38 AM   #3267
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, I know it is a legal tactic to try to get the lawsuit dismissed. But just the mental picture of someone standing up in a public forum and saying something like this is morbidly hilarious to me.

Hmm ... it makes me wonder where the line is (assuming one exists, otherwise why even try this tactic?). C-store clerk? Fast food? Postal worker? And then is it just the job period or is it by shift?
Old 08-14-2023, 10:45 AM   #3268
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Hmm ... it makes me wonder where the line is (assuming one exists, otherwise why even try this tactic?). C-store clerk? Fast food? Postal worker? And then is it just the job period or is it by shift?

Interesting. How about a student in the case of schools or patrons of the store or fast food restaurant? Obviously I am not talking about worker's comp as far as a student is concerned. I was thinking more in line with the liabilities associated with a student injured while playing sports for the school. Getting injured is a hazard of playing sports and student athletes (and their parents) now that when they sign up. If being shot is part of what teachers sign up for, is it the same for students when their parents sign them up to go to a brick and mortar school?

But the law would never looking it that way...right?
Old 08-15-2023, 12:07 AM   #3269
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
LOL!

Educators ‘outraged’ at legal argument used in Richneck case

I. Shot. That. Bitch. Dead.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 09:41 PM   #3270
RainMaker
General Manager

Another Nazi terror attack.

Jacksonville, Florida shooting: Gunman targeted Black people in Dollar General attack, killing 3, officials say | CNN

Looks like the target was a black school across the street but he was turned away.

Last edited by RainMaker : 08-26-2023 at 09:43 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 04:07 PM   #3271
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Active shooter at UNC today (in custody now).

One person confirmed killed (apparently a faculty member).

So common now that no one even updates this thread.

You really do just slip into dystopias.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 08-28-2023 at 04:08 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 10:39 PM   #3272
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

2 women were struck by gunfire at a WHite Sox game. The gunfire seemed to come from a mile away at another place.
Old 08-30-2023, 10:32 PM   #3273
RainMaker
General Manager

Another one barely avoided.

Pa. man arrested after walking into church with shotgun in hand | News | northcentralpa.com
Old 08-31-2023, 12:49 AM   #3274
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Quote:
When police entered the house to investigate, the porch was smeared with a slippery substance. Police found an empty bottle of personal lubricant on the porch.

bow chicka bowwow
Old 08-31-2023, 10:40 AM   #3275
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
2 women were struck by gunfire at a WHite Sox game. The gunfire seemed to come from a mile away at another place.

There is a bit more to this one.

https://abc7chicago.com/white-sox-sh...hool/13718697/

Can you file a defamation lawsuit if someone says you snuck a gun into an MLB game by hiding the gun on your "very heavy" body and then the gun went off causing you serious injuries?
Old 08-31-2023, 02:36 PM   #3276
RainMaker
General Manager

That story is so weird. The rumor has been that it was an off-duty cop who had an accidental discharge but they now seem convinced it was this woman. Still doesn't make a ton of sense since security is pretty tight at that stadium. Not sure how you get that through a metal detector.
Old 09-02-2023, 11:30 AM   #3277
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Shooting reported near Dunbar High School football game
Old 09-03-2023, 02:23 AM   #3279
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

here we go...
Mass Shootings in 2023 | Gun Violence Archive
Old 09-03-2023, 09:20 AM   #3280
QuikSand
lolzcat

The difficulty with "mass shootings" by some clinical definition is... being uncomfortably blunt here, is that a really large swath of the population honestly only cares about the specific flavor that approaches the "it could happen to you" category.

There are scads of inner city, mostly drug-related, gun crimes that most of comfortable/suburban America finds to be a vague shame, but not something we really use to issue the call for "gun control." Those issues feel, to so many of us, both too hard to solve and too remote to feel personal. A bit like the way we react to a mudslide in Bangladesh that kills a hundred people. Awful, but we don't dwell on it, we don't listen to a podcast talking about it, etc.

What really bothers most of us is when it's white people, in places like schools, theaters, and shopping malls who are getting shot. People where there isn't a comfortable "well what were you doing there?" narrative to make quiet victim-blaming so easy. And when it's only one victim, and it's something like domestic squabbles at the heart, we round even those down to zero. It's the random "going postal" thing that gets us all agitated.

So, well-meaning groups can run their technically accurate statistics on "mass shootings" but most of us are already conditioned to discount 2/3 of it, or more. What we care about, understandably, are our own kids (and so forth).

And yes I'm actively trying to first-person this, as I am no exception. But it's an uncomfortable truth lying underneath this issue... the statistics on mass casualty events from gunfire play well when the victims are as "clean" as possible, meant with the most derisive subtext imaginable.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 09:33 AM   #3281
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I keep sseeing shootings articles that are "It was at a party and something escalated". What the fuck do people do at parties that becomes gun violence
What's fricking wrong with these people.

Alcohol sucks and that's why heavy mean drinkers are not nice to be around...especially at parties....you got some guys that act like Begbie in Trainspotting. Really what the fuck is wrong with these people?

It's not rare. I keep seeing shooting at parties where something "escalates"
Old 09-03-2023, 09:36 AM   #3282
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
The difficulty with "mass shootings" by some clinical definition is... being uncomfortably blunt here, is that a really large swath of the population honestly only cares about the specific flavor that approaches the "it could happen to you" category.

There are scads of inner city, mostly drug-related, gun crimes that most of comfortable/suburban America finds to be a vague shame, but not something we really use to issue the call for "gun control." Those issues feel, to so many of us, both too hard to solve and too remote to feel personal. A bit like the way we react to a mudslide in Bangladesh that kills a hundred people. Awful, but we don't dwell on it, we don't listen to a podcast talking about it, etc.

What really bothers most of us is when it's white people, in places like schools, theaters, and shopping malls who are getting shot. People where there isn't a comfortable "well what were you doing there?" narrative to make quiet victim-blaming so easy. And when it's only one victim, and it's something like domestic squabbles at the heart, we round even those down to zero. It's the random "going postal" thing that gets us all agitated.

So, well-meaning groups can run their technically accurate statistics on "mass shootings" but most of us are already conditioned to discount 2/3 of it, or more. What we care about, understandably, are our own kids (and so forth).

And yes I'm actively trying to first-person this, as I am no exception. But it's an uncomfortable truth lying underneath this issue... the statistics on mass casualty events from gunfire play well when the victims are as "clean" as possible, meant with the most derisive subtext imaginable.

The definition seems to be
a) involves a gun as the weapon
and
b) involves 4 or more victims (injured/dead)
Old 09-03-2023, 10:47 AM   #3283
GrantDawg

Quote:
I keep sseeing shootings articles that are "It was at a party and something escalated". What the fuck do people do at parties that becomes gun violence
What's fricking wrong with these people.

Alcohol sucks and that's why heavy mean drinkers are not nice to be around...especially at parties....you got some guys that act like Begbie in Trainspotting. Really what the fuck is wrong with these people?

It's not rare. I keep seeing shooting at parties where something "escalates"
It was the fist fights and arguments when we were young, but every kid didn't have a gun on them or within easy reach and even when we had we would never have thought to use it.
Old 09-03-2023, 05:23 PM   #3284
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
The definition seems to be
a) involves a gun as the weapon
and
b) involves 4 or more victims (injured/dead)

And I'm not critical of that as a straightforward definition... I'm just observing that what "we" care deeply about is much narrower.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 08:58 PM   #3285
GrantDawg

And you are right. We are way more focused on the random stranger attack than drug related/gang related shootings that make up a huge part of the mass shooting statics. Sadly, those don't move the needle on activism.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 09-03-2023, 09:48 PM   #3286
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I think partly it's because we see the drug/gang-related shootings (rightly or wrongly, perhaps wrongly when it comes to fatalities) as several people with guns shooting at each other, which is different from someone shooting up a school on their own.
Old 09-03-2023, 10:25 PM   #3287
JPhillips
General Manager

I ain't never pulled my gun on no citizen.
Old 09-04-2023, 12:33 AM   #3288
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Double negative. 15 yard penalty
Old 09-04-2023, 12:37 AM   #3289
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I think partly it's because we see the drug/gang-related shootings (rightly or wrongly, perhaps wrongly when it comes to fatalities) as several people with guns shooting at each other, which is different from someone shooting up a school on their own.

It's not even drug/gang anymore. It's just like random drunken party violent.
It's people getting in each other's faces for looking at each other and immediately taking it to a fight.

I mean there has always been urban gun violence. At least as far back as I've seen on the news. Why? I don't know. It's not all about gangs tho. But really if guns weren't involved, I daresay the government wouldn't have been so hard on pot dealers all these years.
Old 09-05-2023, 08:34 AM   #3290
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Here's a restaurant/hospital mass shooting.
Shooting at a restaurant

The murderer followed the victims to the hospital to finish the job.

Police ID 2 innocent victims killed in Birmingham shooting; chief condemns ‘senseless violence’ - al.com

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 09-05-2023 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-05-2023, 09:05 AM   #3291
Kodos
Resident Alien

Should this thread be "Yet another mass shooting" at this point?
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 04:14 PM   #3292
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Should this thread be "Yet another mass shooting" at this point?

yes

(and that will make it YAMS...which I hate)

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 09-05-2023 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-18-2023, 02:49 PM   #3293
Edward64
Head Coach

Not a lot of details, more to come. Wouldn't be surprised if there was history between the 2 and built up to this. Or he's just a crazy old man.

I have trimmed branches that have come over my yard. Haven't thought about getting an okay from my neighbor first ... but might start doing that.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/edward-...-line-florida/
Quote:
On Sunday night the sheriff's office received multiple calls regarding a shooting in DeLeon Springs, which is about 45 miles north or Orlando. According to the sheriff's office, Ford was trimming tree limbs along the fence line between his and Druzolowski's home when the 78-year-old confronted him about being on his property.

"Druzolowski told detectives he threatened to shoot Ford, and when Ford didn't leave, he shot him," the sheriff's office said.

Responding deputies attempted life-saving measures as they waited for EMS to arrive, but Ford was pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

Druzolowski is currently being held without bond as he awaits his first court appearance, police said.

Old 09-18-2023, 03:11 PM   #3294
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

No surprise, Florida...

We are going to see more and more of these incidents thanks to devolving gun laws.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2023, 04:11 PM   #3295
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

fuck that guy
Old 09-23-2023, 06:11 AM   #3296
Edward64
Head Coach

Oh great, give Kamala another impossible job that won't look great in her CV for 2028. Hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.

Quote:
Vice President Kamala Harris will lead a new federal office of gun violence prevention, the White House said Thursday.
:
Harris, who has played a leading role in gun safety policy, will oversee the office, according to a White House statement.
All the right words but lacking in details. Hopefully, those details will come out shortly like how they plan to do it, how much they are hoping to reduce violence, by when etc.

Quote:
“The new Office of Gun Violence Prevention will play a critical role in implementing President Biden’s and my efforts to reduce violence to the fullest extent under the law, while also engaging and encouraging Congressional leaders, state and local leaders, and advocates to come together to build upon the meaningful progress that we have made to save lives,” the vice president said in a statement.

“Our promise to the American people is this: we will not stop working to end the epidemic of gun violence in every community, because we do not have a moment, nor a life to spare,” she said.
Old 09-24-2023, 08:32 AM   #3297
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

It's possible she asked for the opportunity. Her instinct for good political choices doesn't amount to a particularly good track record, and there's a strong argument that her rise is more due to patronage via the CA political establishment more than anything.
Old 09-29-2023, 02:35 PM   #3298
RainMaker
General Manager

Another terrorist attack. This time in New Mexico.

Man shot during Juan de Oñate statue rally in Española | News | abqjournal.com
Old 09-29-2023, 02:57 PM   #3299
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Quote:
[The gunman] liked pages on American history, MyPillow and a Chihuahua pretending to be a construction worker.

I mean come on people, the dresseed up chihuahua should have given him away as a terrorist
Old 09-30-2023, 08:50 AM   #3300
HerRealName
College Prospect

We stayed near a couple of schools in various towns across Italy over the last couple weeks. The doors to the schools were left wide open and there were no security guards or cops patrolling the schools. I felt so sorry for the kids in those schools - they won't experience real freedom.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote