My dog once growled at the rain.

proof that it was an old woman in a past life
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 05:06 PM   #26702
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
It's raining here. The dog refuses to go on a walk. But he also makes sure that I know he's pissed at me for not taking him. He just randomly walks in the office to stare daggers at me or lets out a loud sigh. But I try to take him and he refuses to go.

I think he believes I control the weather.

lol dog staring daggers. so funny
pics please.

Also does he go out when you open the back door?
Old 04-09-2024, 05:08 PM   #26703
molson
General Manager

Dogs are pretty forgiving considering all the shit they believe we're responsible for.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 07:30 PM   #26704
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Dogs are pretty forgiving considering all the shit they believe we're responsible for.

If someone fed me and picked up my poop I'd be pretty forgiving towards them to.

Last edited by NobodyHere : Yesterday at 11:28 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 01:10 PM   #26705
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Will I one day text like my parents?

Me: stating I got a rice cooker and it's great.

My mom: what do you cook in it?
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 02:07 PM   #26706
Atocep
Coordinator

I really cannot stand people that seem to think IT only asks them to submit a ticket to annoy them or to make sure we're hitting metrics.

Motherfucker, I have exactly zero techs available right now. I need to get the issue assigned to someone. Then if my tech has to move the ticket elsewhere because it ends up not being us it can be done so with work notes included and through our ticketing system rather than trying to play phone or email tag with someone.

I get you have a pending court case and need to open an email as part of discovery, but this is a hospital. We deal with emergencies on a daily basis and still ask for a ticket to start with.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 04:10 PM   #26707
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Will I one day text like my parents?

Me: stating I got a rice cooker and it's great.

My mom: what do you cook in it?

My mom: maybe an eclipse only makes it really dark if it happens at night.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 05:28 PM   #26708
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I really cannot stand people that seem to think IT only asks them to submit a ticket to annoy them or to make sure we're hitting metrics.

Motherfucker, I have exactly zero techs available right now. I need to get the issue assigned to someone. Then if my tech has to move the ticket elsewhere because it ends up not being us it can be done so with work notes included and through our ticketing system rather than trying to play phone or email tag with someone.

I get you have a pending court case and need to open an email as part of discovery, but this is a hospital. We deal with emergencies on a daily basis and still ask for a ticket to start with.

which people are these? I mean aside from being moronic people?
Old 04-12-2024, 09:05 AM   #26709
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Hey guys, I have no meetings today.

Want to know how I accomplished this? I placed an all-day block on my calendar for today a few weeks ago and kept declining meeting invitations for today until people gave up.

Follow me on LinkedIn for more productivity and also mental health tips.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 11:01 AM   #26710
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I was searching for suits the other day, so all of the targeted ads I've seen for the last few days have been for suits.

There are . . . a LOT of shitty second-tier suit companies that you have never heard of. I'm guessing that they are probably mostly fake fronts for the same shitty suit factory in China, but it is still an impressive variety of places I've never heard of.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 03:20 PM   #26711
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
which people are these? I mean aside from being moronic people?

In this specific instance, it was someone from the JAG office that went directly to our CIO with an issue about not being able to open an encrypted email. The CIO said we could help, but asked them to submit a ticket and send us the ticket number. He got annoyed and said our hospital is obligated to help JAG in instances like this so he doesn't understand why a ticket is needed.

We've also had situations where we've done walkthroughs of our 24 hour wards to see how we can help them better. When they start complaining about ongoing issues, the question is always asked about if a ticket has ever been submitted and then we usually get comments about being too focused on our ticketing metrics or they're too busy to put in tickets.

Our ticketing system allows tickets to be submitted via email and it immediately generates a ticket number. So the overall time to submit a ticket can be less than 5 minutes.

Last edited by Atocep : 04-12-2024 at 03:21 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 05:37 AM   #26712
Edward64
Head Coach

Happy Tax due day.

This year we finished extra early. Good first draft by early Feb, waited for some of our daughter's stuff and sent off by late Feb. Already got our Fed overpayment back but paid some additional GA taxes.

I know the IRS is prototyping their own tax reporting software. I'm satisfied with TurboTax but can't beat free.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 06:20 AM   #26713
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Happy Tax due day.

This year we finished extra early. Good first draft by early Feb, waited for some of our daughter's stuff and sent off by late Feb. Already got our Fed overpayment back but paid some additional GA taxes.

I know the IRS is prototyping their own tax reporting software. I'm satisfied with TurboTax but can't beat free.
We finished early as well. Paid a little Federal but got back even more from the State. We have had that pattern for a good while now. This year my wife's work had been significantly under-paying Federal, but luckily I had increased my withdrawal so it didn't end up killing us. She got it corrected for this year, and good thing because this next tax year will be our first with no dependents.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 06:28 AM   #26714
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I did mine ASAP in late January since last year, we did some corporate reshuffling and several of us got moved as employees from one affiliate to another, meaning that I paid nearly double the FICA tax I should have. So I knew I was in for a nice refund.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-15-2024 at 06:29 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 07:00 AM   #26715
GrantDawg

Forgot to mention, my daughter got royally screwed. She had to pay to the tune of $3K because her work hadn't been withholding hardly any Federal. They have always been weird about not giving them easy access to pay-stubs, so she had no idea till she got her W-2. It has probably set them back another year in purchasing a house.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:08 AM   #26716
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

My wife went out on her own last year (just celebrated the one-year anniversary), fulfilling a long-held dream of her's, which has been great.

Since she did an S-Corp, however, it added a bunch of extra complexity for our accountant. It was nice, however, to just pull all the personal stuff together (like I do each year), send it in, and watch them work through all the other stuff for a couple of weeks, safe in the knowledge that none of it was my problem.

In exiting her last employer, she got a decent equity payout, so we paid through the nose this year, but we had the amount set aside specifically for the purpose, so it's not like it was a surprise. Nothing like paying more in State tax for last year than I made, gross, in my first job out of graduate school. :O
Old 04-15-2024, 07:18 AM   #26717
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm actually thinking about doing a significant IRA-to-Roth conversion. I'll have to see how the portfolio is doing etc. Just rough calculations right now but I can appreciate this comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Nothing like paying more in State tax for last year than I made, gross, in my first job out of graduate school. :O

There are rumblings of doing away/reducing the benefits of pre-tax IRA. Although I believe any IRA/Roth changes will have grandfathering, I do anticipate increases to tax rates. So, it may be worth it to pay the hefty conversion taxes now for much lower taxes for the rest of our lives.
Old 04-15-2024, 07:55 AM   #26718
jcard
n00b

Quote:

Since she did an S-Corp, however, it added a bunch of extra complexity for our accountant. It was nice, however, to just pull all the personal stuff together (like I do each year), send it in, and watch them work through all the other stuff for a couple of weeks, safe in the knowledge that none of it was my problem.

I just let my interpreter handle all of that stuff . . .
jcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 08:20 AM   #26719
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I got screwed a bit this year. Last year a state amendment was passed adjusting the exemptions for property taxes. Well a group sued claiming voter fraud, which seems to be in fashion these days. The amendment couldn't go into effect until the lawsuit was resolved. It wasn't resolved in time to get the tax bills out before the end of the year, so my property taxes weren't paid out of escrow until the first week in January. IRS said there is no grace period, so I have $12,500 in itemized deductions I wasn't able to claim on federal for my property tax payment. So instead of getting $100 back I'm paying a couple of grand. I guess the bright side it that I'll have twice the property tax deductions to claim next year.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 04:39 PM   #26720
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I've tried several times to start reading Marvel comics but it's hard to jump into something that has been ongoing for 90 years. I've tried several other "reading guides" and they always want me to start in the 1980s with some rather bland comics if I'm being honest. This guy on the other hand has, in my having never read comics before opinion, a really solid guide. His prologue is amazing. Sharing the link incase anyone else wants to take the plunge.

hxxps://www.continuityguide.net/

Last edited by dubb93 : 04-16-2024 at 04:40 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:21 AM   #26721
Edward64
Head Coach

Dr. Pepper Zero > Dr. Pepper Diet.

Last edited by Edward64 : Yesterday at 06:23 AM.
Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM   #26722
Ksyrup

Agreed.

I've cut way back on my consumption of even Zero pop this year - and eliminated sugar substitutes entirely from my tea - which has had multiple fantastic side effects for my health. But I still drink 3-4 Zeros a week.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM   #26723
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I warn you all that this is real...

Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM   #26724
Edward64
Head Coach

I have to try that!
Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM   #26725
Ksyrup

Oh wow! I'll have to run that down.

I still have not tried Coke Y3K because I believe it's the only one that was distributed on the Internet only when it came out. However, I've seen mini cans of it at the local Meijer. Problem is, it's just the regular, not Zero. And I'm not buying an entire case of it, just want to try it.

Last edited by Ksyrup : Yesterday at 08:14 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM   #26726
Ksyrup

Dola - quick Google search says it's coming out May 1 as a limited edition flavor.
Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM   #26727
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I don't understand you kids today. Apparently it's a fad called "dirty soda" where kids put heavy cream in it along with flavors like lime and coconut so dr pepper first made a specific cream shot to go with it and now have made a dr pepper flavor of it.

You seriously want to try this?
Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM   #26728
Edward64
Head Coach

Sure.

I like coconut stuff (water, ice-cream, curries), interested in seeing how this turns out.
Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM   #26729
Ksyrup

I have no interest in the cream stuff, just the pop. I'm a big fan of exotic flavors because I've had all the regular pop I'll ever need. It's good to have some variety. Some of it sucks, some of it's really good.
Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM   #26730
stevew
Hall Of Famer

BWW is mid but 2 lunches with everything including tip for around $30 is a great deal. Like nominally more expensive than McDonald’s at this point. I guess pricing varies but 10 wings fries and a drink is 13$ here. Burger options and boneless wings are 11$ with fries and a drink.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM   #26731
stevew
Hall Of Famer

snachwithzach | Instagram, TikTok | Linktree

Great insta follow for all the new food stuff coming out presented in an orderly fashion. I’m shocked he doesn’t have more follows. Friday will be a recap of new grocery store items and Saturday will be new fast food menu items as well as other stuff thru the week.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM   #26732
GrantDawg

Heading to my Jordancon weekend this afternoon. I have been looking forward to this all year. Couple of buddies and I spent all weekend drinking and eating at different restaurants and breweries between different nerd panels last year. I have been excited for this time to get here, but...
I was just recently diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. It seems that 5 Guys food poisoning wasn't. It was a flare up that has lasted two weeks. I think it has finally stopped, but after feeling pretty good for the last 23 hours or so I'm starting to have gut pain again. I'm begining to worry I'm going to be the Debbie Downer of our weekend of excess.

Last edited by GrantDawg : Yesterday at 11:51 AM.
Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM   #26733
Kodos
Resident Alien

Oof. Sorry to hear that, GD.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM   #26734
Edward64
Head Coach

Didn’t know about Jordancon, thanks for letting me know.

Is it worthwhile for a Prime series fan?
Old Yesterday, 12:42 PM   #26735
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Heading to my Jordancon weekend this afternoon. I have been looking forward to this all year. Couple of buddies and I spent all weekend drinking and eating at different restaurants and breweries between different nerd panels last year. I have been excited for this time to get here, but...
I was just recently diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. It seems that 5 Guys food poisoning wasn't. It was a flare up that has lasted two weeks. I think it has finally stopped, but after feeling pretty good for the last 23 hours or so I'm starting to have gut pain again. I'm begining to worry I'm going to be the Debbie Downer of our weekend of excess.

I had to google Jordancon but I was guessing it was some kind of shoe convention. Sorry about the Crohn's. My wife has started figuring out which foods trigger the flare ups so there is light at the end of the tunnel.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM   #26736
Ksyrup

It appears Aaron Rodgers is doing more of his own research. This time, HIV. What a moran.
Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM   #26737
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Didn’t know about Jordancon, thanks for letting me know.

Is it worthwhile for a Prime series fan?
Yes. Several panels over the weekend about the second season, and Guy Roberts who played Uno is attending. There is usually a series Q&A that includes some behind the scenes info from the show-runner, but they didn't put one on the schedule this year. They do have a "surprise panel" scheduled in the big room for 2:30 Saturday, and there is a rumor they are actually going to have a live q&a this year. IDK if that means Raffe and others might show up, or if they might try to do something via zoom. One of the writers who is their book expert on staff was a founding member of Jordancon, so the show has a close relationship with the the con and usually gives us something special.
Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM   #26738
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
I had to google Jordancon but I was guessing it was some kind of shoe convention. Sorry about the Crohn's. My wife has started figuring out which foods trigger the flare ups so there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Lol. No. Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" fans.
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM   #26739
Ksyrup

I don't have Crohn's but I take 1 Budesonide capsule a day because I'm apparently on the edge.
Old Yesterday, 01:59 PM   #26740
miami_fan
Coordinator

Any 911 operators on the board? Is there a documentary about the training that 911 operators get? I have been watching a number of documentaries recently that shows call to 911 operators and the operators just seem daft and callous. I know the job is extremely tough and I think it would be different to see things from the operator's POV. The latest example is from a re-watch of the OJ doc. Nicole call 911 because OJ is breaking in to beat the shit out of her and the operator is asking if he is the sportscaster and telling her to stay on the line.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM   #26741
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Any 911 operators on the board? Is there a documentary about the training that 911 operators get? I have been watching a number of documentaries recently that shows call to 911 operators and the operators just seem daft and callous. I know the job is extremely tough and I think it would be different to see things from the operator's POV. The latest example is from a re-watch of the OJ doc. Nicole call 911 because OJ is breaking in to beat the shit out of her and the operator is asking if he is the sportscaster and telling her to stay on the line.

I'm not one but I've both dated one (eons ago) and my niece is currently in her 5th (?) year as one.

I'll try to remember to ask her if there's something that presents a better light than some of the stuff that's out there.

As for the OJ thing, stay on the line is pretty standard procedure in most circumstances. It allows for the operator to provide the most current information to responders up to the moment they arrive.

And the "sportscaster" thing seemed like a case of trying to verify that, well, that the operator heard what they thought they heard. Insert any celebrity name there and you're going to have a moment of doubt whether you heard what you thought you heard. If it had been John Cena, saying "you mean the wrestler?" would have been the same thing.
Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM   #26742
miami_fan
Coordinator

I hear you Jon. The rational side of me understands that. Unfortunately, thirty years (that is right, this June will be thirty years since the murders) of hindsight and everything else clouds that rational side in this case. In my mind, I am picturing a meme of Nicole on the old school landline on the wall getting whacked by OJ while the operator is listening in with a box of popcorn in her lap.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM   #26743
RainMaker
General Manager

I wonder if they're trained to take emotion out of the equation. It's different, but I've heard police dispatchers and air traffic controllers remain incredibly calm during terrible things (Air Disasters is a favorite show of mine). It almost sounds like they don't care but I'm guessing it's part of the training.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM   #26744
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I wonder if they're trained to take emotion out of the equation. It's different, but I've heard police dispatchers and air traffic controllers remain incredibly calm during terrible things (Air Disasters is a favorite show of mine). It almost sounds like they don't care but I'm guessing it's part of the training.

I wonder if they just deal with so many emotional situations that they just become kind of numb to it after a while.
Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM   #26745
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't understand you kids today. Apparently it's a fad called "dirty soda" where kids put heavy cream in it along with flavors like lime and coconut so dr pepper first made a specific cream shot to go with it and now have made a dr pepper flavor of it.

I mean, that's not all that far removed from a root beer float. Not my cup of tea (lol), but I can see the appeal.
Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM   #26746
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
BWW is mid but 2 lunches with everything including tip for around $30 is a great deal. Like nominally more expensive than McDonald’s at this point. I guess pricing varies but 10 wings fries and a drink is 13$ here. Burger options and boneless wings are 11$ with fries and a drink.

Quote:
I mean, that's not all that far removed from a root beer float. Not my cup of tea (lol), but I can see the appeal.

The rootbeer stand nearby sells something called 'Swamp Water' which is Rootbeer and orange soda mix
Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM   #26747
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
The rootbeer stand nearby sells something called 'Swamp Water' which is Rootbeer and orange soda mix

Barf emoji. I actually love both of those things, but the mixture sounds unholy.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:07 PM   #26748
Edward64
Head Coach

Been watching some YT court TV stuff. Child support, small time stuff. Much of it from Covid days but some from 2023.

My observations based on the YT content so far
  1. Women judges seem to be more strict & easier to tick off
  2. Black male & female judges seem to be more strict & easier to tick off

So, if I'm the defendant in a case, I want a white, male judge. And I'm going to be polite and answer questions, not ramble on. And I'm definitely going to hire an attorney or have one appointed for me.