Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-31-2023, 12:40 PM   #1
Davey77
n00b

AI trade logic??

Could someone please explain to me what type of logic the AI uses when it needs to assess a trade?

It's not letting me attach a screenshot but I try to trade a player for a draft pick or another player, and every team has the same response...they're not willing to take on his salary. Every team!
The latest offer...my b/u FS + my 3 #1 overall picks for their b/u FS!!! I tried this just to test this...they are $23mil under the cap, and refuse the 3 #1 picks for a b/u player!

I'm totally stumped here..anyone have an explanation please??

Davey77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 04:21 AM   #2
cupofjoe
n00b

There still isn't enough info to understand the trade. Generally, the trade logic is the best in NFL games. I think it's fairly realistic. However, I've found it fairly easy to accumulate draft picks throughout the years by trading during the draft.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 01:05 PM   #3
Davey77
n00b

Thanks for replying. Basically the trade is my FS plus my #1 pick in each of the next 3 drafts, for their FS player. In their reply they state they are unwilling to take on the contract of my FS, so the trade is refused.
They have $23mil of cap space, yet are unwilling to take on the salary of one player. Even though they would be swapping players of equal contract value, and would also receive three #1 draft picks in the exchange!!??

That has got to be a bug with the AI logic somehow.
Davey77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 01:14 PM   #4
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

It’s not a bug; it’s a design decision, I believe a mechanism to help the AI teams avoid cap trouble. (It may be even be in the documentation as such.) There is a threshold in the comparison of a player’s salary to his talent where the salary cap hit makes him 100% untradeable. No AI team will take players who cross that threshold, no matter what you add to the trade. Period. These players must be either kept or cut.

If you want the ability to trade away any expensive players you’d like, you’ll need to join a MP league. Many of them cannot be traded in SP.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:44 AM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

Another way of thinking about this, in case Ben's response above isn't fully clear is:

This is a computer game, not a bunch of tiny little people inside your computer running their own football league.

Meant tongue in cheek, obviously, but for a reason. You're looking for the human logic behind it. That's not the right angle. The developer looked at real football and concluded that, in reality, big-salary players are effectively untradeable. So, he basically added that as a check in any trade process, and certain players just become cut-only candidates. That's as far as it goes, no more turtles, no more logic of the other GM applies, that's it.

So, you can doctor up the most absurd set of circumstances that you like... and for no beneficial reason at all offer massive draft capital to get someone to take away a bad salary. (I say no benefit because, in this game, the cap effect on your team from a trade versus a cut is none at all, unlike the real work where complicated contract provisions may change things) It won't work, the game is hard coded against stupidity that seemed unreasonable.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote