Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #1301
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I feel like every set of boxings and bannings has led to less and less people posting. I mean I have gotten older, have a family, haven't played FOF in years... I realize all this contributes but so do the boxings. Never understood why it was so hard for people to ignore extreme views from either side. Ignore button...

I know, I know...

panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:36 AM   #1302
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Dude it's a gangland execution. Sorry but it's not a bunch of innocent 1st graders being gunned down by a psychopath.

Agreed.
Just to further that point, how many school shootings are a result of gang violence?
How do we define gang?
How many mass shootings are a result of gang violence?
Are the neo nazi/aryan brotherhood types not just gangs. As much as the bloods or the crips?

Warning the following statement will completely oppose what some here think of me.
I think there is a media bias to the death of white kids. For whatever reason 'white kids gunned down at school' generates eyeballs, it generates shock value.
I think its one of the poignant yet simple things Eminem rapped about (damn has it really be nearly) 20 years ago.

'Middle America? Now its a tragedy. Now its sad to see. An upper class city having this happening'

When it was blacks shooting blacks it doesnt sell. That may be sad, but true.

On the flip side of the coin, cops shooting white folks doesnt sell or outrage. Cops shooting black people does.

Despite everyone saying they have no prejudice, society as a whole does stereotype and we prove it by what we consume. Trust me, if tens oof thousands tuned in to see the latest updates on St Louis gang shootings...CNN would send an armored news van to record the shit. But the truth is we would not watch in large numbers. Large swaths of the country would just say 'Its just blacks shooting blacks what do you expect'

So it doesnt garner any attention.

Another thing I've thought about a lot recently, and Ive never read this mentioned anywhere.

I wonder if school shootings are up, in some small part, because thats the only place kids see each other.
When I was in high school after school all the guys went to the rec and played ball or down to the armory and played ball and the gamers gathered at each others house and played games or at the mall and the arcade.

Now gamers play online, my son is a 3 sport athlete and outside of organized sports I bet he hasnt played pick up 5 times in his 4 year high school career. That was any given week for my generation.

I remember in high school there was 1 murder I knew of. (Ive talked before about others I grew up with in boarding or foster who I lost but they were either went to different HS or happened in junior high) it happened at the armory mentioned above during a basketball game. Two dudes were fighting over some stupid girl and one stabbed the other. Today that probably happens at school because they dont see each other anywhere else.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:51 AM   #1303
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I feel like every set of boxings and bannings has led to less and less people posting. I mean I have gotten older, have a family, haven't played FOF in years... I realize all this contributes but so do the boxings. Never understood why it was so hard for people to ignore extreme views from either side. Ignore button...

I know, I know...

The way people use the internet has changed as well. I love forums like these. The ones have been a part of for a long time have a lot less users today then they did 5-10 years ago. The OOTP forums is another example. Early to mid 2000s there were a ton of people here and there.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #1304
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Counterpoint-

It may happen because they rarely. Kids spend so much time online these days. Back in the day if a kid was bullied it was during school then he went home and could get away from it. Now with the internet that abuse is literally 24-7 and out there for everyone to see. I think it sets a lot of kids over the edge.

I honestly think if we could fix the problems with bullying a lot of this would go away.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:24 AM   #1305
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Counterpoint-

It may happen because they rarely. Kids spend so much time online these days. Back in the day if a kid was bullied it was during school then he went home and could get away from it. Now with the internet that abuse is literally 24-7 and out there for everyone to see. I think it sets a lot of kids over the edge.

I honestly think if we could fix the problems with bullying a lot of this would go away.

That's a great point as well.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:17 PM   #1306
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Counterpoint-

In a recent report (again by the FBI) released in.2018, 88% of the school mass shooters in incidents from 2001-2013 were severely bullied at some point prior to that. Not saying fixing bullying is the answer, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:13 PM   #1307
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
In a recent report (again by the FBI) released in.2018, 88% of the school mass shooters in incidents from 2001-2013 were severely bullied at some point prior to that. Not saying fixing bullying is the answer, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

But whats the general pop stat?
I'd posit that darn near 100% of all kids are bullied at some point, especially as the term has come to be defined today.

Again not making light of bullying and I do understand the damage it can cause, and not sayings its ok. Just saying most kids experience it at some point.

Its like say 95% of all school shooters had played either an Xbox or a Playstation
Old 05-14-2019, 03:32 PM   #1308
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I'd posit that darn near 100% of all kids are bullied at some point, especially as the term has come to be defined today.

Again not making light of bullying and I do understand the damage it can cause, and not sayings its ok. Just saying most kids experience it at some point.

Its like say 95% of all school shooters had played either an Xbox or a Playstation

I think you are vastly underestimating the effects of systematic bullying.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:40 PM   #1309
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

I have had this thought as well, and I don't have the statistics at hand to say one way or another.

What I can tell you is that the FBI report made an effort to determine that the bullying was extensive and/or severe and usually occurred at the school that the shooter eventually assaulted.

This was part of a report on the pre-incident commonalities and warning signs of mass school shooters, and was intended to give schools, parents and law enforcement tools on how to ID potential mass shooters prior to their attacks. Because in almost every incidence the signs are there.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 06:03 PM   #1310
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/31/us/vi...m_source=twCNN
Old 05-31-2019, 06:28 PM   #1311
QuikSand
lolzcat

Just another hashtag, whatevs #America
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:23 PM   #1312
kingfc22
Head Coach

Let’s do all we can for an 8 week old fetus via rape and incest though. Hoorah
Old 05-31-2019, 09:30 PM   #1313
tarcone
Coordinator

A very small percentage of abortions happen due to Incest and rape.

Everything os politicized. When does common sense happen? Never? Are we in the 1984 type world?

Good luck to all

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:00 PM   #1314
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

There's also the part where, last I checked, mass murders weren't legalized and endorsed by the government. That's a rather massive difference.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:39 AM   #1315
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thoughts and Prayers
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:00 AM   #1316
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Just another hashtag, whatevs #America

Yep, 12 dead and not even a big story. Years ago this would have interrupted evening programming. In a sick, backwards way maybe this has a small positive result... nobody gives a shit. At least if there is some loser copycat in the wings they may think twice about their blaze of glory. (Or more scary try to come up with another plan, method, to "break the record") So senseless.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:20 PM   #1317
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

https://www.foxnews.com/us/virginia-...-good-standing

Well there seems to go the 'disgruntled employee' motive.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:34 AM   #1318
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/us/virginia-...-good-standing

Well there seems to go the 'disgruntled employee' motive.

Guy was on a "Performance Improvement Plan" which is the first step the city takes to fire someone.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:02 AM   #1319
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sounds like he went postal
Old 06-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #1320
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
Guy was on a "Performance Improvement Plan" which is the first step the city takes to fire someone.

Where did you get this information from?
Old 06-03-2019, 03:48 PM   #1321
Izulde
Head Coach

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/01/u...sultPosition=1

Looks like there were signs after all recently

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:10 PM   #1322
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Where did you get this information from?

He’s a va beach cop I think
Old 06-03-2019, 06:34 PM   #1323
QuikSand
lolzcat

Torrance CA? Hard to keep up. Back to television.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:58 PM   #1324
tarcone
Coordinator

This is a society problem. My daughter just got home from working at 6 flags. Said the creepy guy got suspended. I asked why? She said he threatened to kill someone. Turns out his ex who he dated for 5 years and has 2 kids with showed up at 6 flags with a new BF.

People are not stable.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #1325
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like they're really trying to drop the hammer on this guy

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/04/u...-peterson.html
Old 06-04-2019, 04:06 PM   #1326
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Torrance CA? Hard to keep up. Back to television.

Weirdly, that's the second shooting outside of a Skechers in a mall I know of in the last week or so. The other one was at Fashion Show Mall here in Vegas.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:28 PM   #1327
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Looks like they're really trying to drop the hammer on this guy

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/04/u...-peterson.html

I am wrestling with how I feel about this one. On the one hand this was clearly dude's job and he didn't do it and likely cost some kids' lives, on the other hand he seems to be acting as a surrogate for everybody's rage and frustration and I think punishing the school resource officer as harshly as possible seems like a shitty substitute for substantive cultural change.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 06-04-2019 at 04:28 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:18 PM   #1328
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I am wrestling with how I feel about this one. On the one hand this was clearly dude's job and he didn't do it and likely cost some kids' lives, on the other hand he seems to be acting as a surrogate for everybody's rage and frustration and I think punishing the school resource officer as harshly as possible seems like a shitty substitute for substantive cultural change.

Yeah, kind of feel the same way here. I wonder how many critics would be willing to run into a situation where they are outgunned.

On the other hand this guy signed up to do that but decided that he'd rather go home to his wife, kids, and 8k/month pension.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:39 PM   #1329
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yep. Cowardice may be despicable, but I never realized it was criminal.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:51 PM   #1330
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

I'm conflicted as well, but I don't think I agree 100% with this statement. The guy had a job that he (allegedly) didn't do and people died as a result. If you are the food safety officer that just doesn't bother to inspect a bunch of restaurants and 10 people die from e-coli, or you are the guy who inspects airbags for Toyota but you are off smoking doobies and defective airbags kill a bunch of toddlers, I think it's pretty reasonable to at least expect criminal charge are coming your way.

I'm conflicted because of 2 reasons - firstly, I don't see how we can possibly really know what he thought was going on, his explanation that he thought the shots were coming from outside the building and his training called for him to assess the situation sounds plausible enough to me and secondly I'm just not sure we should be in a situation as a society where we whack a gun in the hand of somebody, pay them minimum wage and then expect them to have responsibility to take down somebody who might have an AK, shotgun and a bunch of hand grenades. Like somebody said, I think this guy is the magnet for a bunch of rage that should be directed elsewhere (and that's not a political statement no matter how you feel about gun control) - but I think it's perfectly reasonable that if he's shown to have derilicted his duty that he stands trial for it. I'm not sure if that makes any sense or not.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:55 PM   #1331
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
He’s a va beach cop I think

Yep. Man just had evil in his heart. He wasn't mentally ill, just evil. He knew exactly what he was doing and just didn't give a fuck.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:24 AM   #1332
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
Yep. Man just had evil in his heart. He wasn't mentally ill, just evil. He knew exactly what he was doing and just didn't give a fuck.

Kind of like the Vegas shooter?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:28 PM   #1333
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Virginia Beach shooter appeared to target supervisors in his department | WTKR.com
Old 06-06-2019, 12:10 PM   #1334
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Cowardice is not generally criminal, but Florida has statutes specifically covering people classified as caregivers for children which criminalizes neglect.

A school nurse could be charged under the same statute if they say, refused to treat a bleeding student because they thought blood was gross. Whereas you and I don't have to get involved in either a shooting or a medical emergency.

The legal question in this case is whether a school resource officer is a "caregiver" under the statute. A regular police officer is specifically, by statute, not a caregiver under Florida law and couldn't be charged like this. Peterson's defense team has already filed a motion to reduce bond which includes argument that Peterson isn't a caregiver, and I'm sure they'll file a motion to dismiss on that ground later. The answer to that question will turn on what his duties were, what his training was, etc. Or the parties could settle before then rather than risk the outcome of that motion.

Last edited by molson : 06-06-2019 at 12:18 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:33 PM   #1335
miami_fan
Coordinator

Step one complete

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...231246058.html
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:39 PM   #1336
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah I don't think there's any reason for him to spend time in jail or have to post bond before any conviction. That should be reserved for people who are actual threats.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:51 PM   #1337
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

VB Council holds off on backing bill that could allow for guns to be banned from public buildings | WAVY.com

Because telling a person that was willing to kill 12 people that he wasn't allowed to have a gun in a city building is productive....
Old 06-22-2019, 01:59 AM   #1338
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I really hate how the news doesn't necessarily report "fake news", but just doesn't have any idea of what the fuck they are talking about because of the people they can interview in these cases.

Knowing what I know from responding to and being involved in this shooting, it really makes me question what happened in others....

I also still hate May 31, 2019.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:44 PM   #1339
RainMaker
General Manager

In another shocking twist, the Garlic Festival shooter happens to be a white supremacist too.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:25 PM   #1340
Thomkal
Head Coach

shocking!
Old 07-30-2019, 10:12 PM   #1341
cuervo72
Head Coach

There was also the guy who killed his mom/brother/nephew, then broke into another house and killed a woman and injured her parents in a possible Jayme Closs copycat attempted kidnapping.

http://www.fox9.com/news/victims-sho...county-murders

Seems like just a run-of-the-mill deranged white guy though.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 07-30-2019 at 10:14 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:19 AM   #1342
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
There was also the guy who killed his mom/brother/nephew, then broke into another house and killed a woman and injured her parents in a possible Jayme Closs copycat attempted kidnapping.

http://www.fox9.com/news/victims-sho...county-murders

Seems like just a run-of-the-mill deranged white guy though.

Damn I used to live around there. These crimes in Wisconsin seem so weird because they are typically such safe places. I was across the river but I never locked my door.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:18 PM   #1343
Edward64
Head Coach

Ouch, hope its not too bad.

BREAKING: Confirmed active shooter at Walmart near Cielo Vista Mall | KTSM 9 News
Quote:
EL PASO, Texas (KTSM) —

UPDATE: KTSM can confirm that 18 people were shot inside the Walmart. The extent of their injuries is unknown at this time.

El Paso Police and multiple other law enforcement agencies are responding to a shooting at the Walmart an active shooter situation.

Details are limited at this time.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #1344
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Seemingly-credible reports of multiple fatalities.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:07 PM   #1345
Ben E Lou

Ugh. Now police are confirming 18 deaths.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:31 PM   #1346
MrBug708
Head Coach

My bosses mom was in the mall at the time, but got out safely
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:33 PM   #1347
Edward64
Head Coach

3 taken into custody ... 3 shooters?
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:57 PM   #1348
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

One report said single shooter but another said 3. Who knows what is right this early with these situations.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #1349
Ben E Lou

The mayor said 3. The PD said one. I'm inclined to believe the PD.
Old 08-03-2019, 03:01 PM   #1350
Ben E Lou

Dola: Not only are they the ones closest to the events, but also because it's rare that there are multiple shooters in these types of incidents.