Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-18-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

One Kai Left: The Lone Wolf Dynasty

Hello folks and welcome to my newest dynasty. Part of the fun of this is that it is something I can do from work, as well as from home if I choose.

During the 1980s, game books were a popular fan that drove sales in children’s book departments. It had series like Choose Your Own Adventure to a variety of other books that used intellectual properties like Marvel Super Heroes, Middle Earth, Car Wars, Dungeons and Dragons, Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew and more.

There were generally three sorts of game books. The first were plot game books like Choose Your Own Adventure - you read a story, and as you go, you make choices and turn to different pages. These are simple books in the genre.

The second are books that are games. These often involve another person, and you use the book as a medium for a game. Examples of such include White Warlord/Black Baron and such.

Finally, there were game books that used plots along with various rules to have statistics, items, and often had combat that had to be resolved in order to advance the plot or get past a room. These were inspired by the Final Fantasy series. For example, in the Car Wars series, you had one or more cars, various types of guns, ammunition, special items, personal armor, personal items, armor of the car, and more to resolve fights. The most popular series of this sub-theme was Lone Wolf.

There are also a few that blend other types, like Be an Interplanetary Spy, which has a very loose plot, and then you have to do various tricks and games with the eye to advance that plot by going to the right section.

This was a super popular genre. The Choose Your Own Adventure books published over 200 titles and over 250 million books.

With the game/plot game books like Long Wolf being the upper echelon of difficulty, it is impressive that a unique IP was able to win out over other IPs like Middle Earth, Conan, Tarzan, Doctor Who, D&D, and more. In a sea of game books that included either the heavy hitter CYOA or the various IPs, it was the new and interesting Lone Wolf that ruled the roost with 10.5 million books printed. It came out of a very crowded field to bring the best writing, illustrations and game mechanics to the books. No series was as dear to my heart as it, although I certainly loved the Middle Earth and Car Wars series too (they were more complex than Lone Wolf).

For more info on game books, there is a great web resource that has almost every one ever published in English:

Demian's Gamebook Web Page

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 11-18-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Izulde
Head Coach

I *love* this series.

I just wish the Grey Star Wizard series would have been longer than 4 books.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Alright, now let’s talk about Lone Wolf.

Many are the people who have read and enjoyed the Lone Wolf books. What to know something? You still can! Over the past decade, a group called Project Aon has published the Lone Wolf books online after getting permission to do so from Joe Dever, the author and creator of Lone Wolf.

I will begin with the first book, Flight from the Dark. I will keep reading until I get bored, die, or move on to something else. If I die, I intend to restart the book. Some books are hard, let’s be honest. I will honestly take my rolls, and if that means my character is a bit weaker, or has some problems with a foe, that’s the breaks.

Note that I have played many of these books a ton of times, especially the first five. Fire on the Water, the second book in the series, is the book I have read the most in my life, probably over a dozen times.

Why not read them once more?

You can find Project Aon here:

Project Aon: Main / Home (browse)

With this dynasty, I will go over my items, my choices, my battles, and the story. You can see it unfold as I do. Please note, this will be VERY spoiler heavy. If you intend to read the books, you might want to read the book first, and then come back to that book in the thread and read through my take. For some, you may not want to read/play them, just follow along. Other may have already done so, and may love the blast from the past. This is also nice as a free and fun way to keep your self entertained for a while.

This may, just may, be the last time I will ever read these books in my life. Let’s enjoy it together!

Old 11-18-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I *love* this series.

I just wish the Grey Star Wizard series would have been longer than 4 books.

I loved the Grey Star one too. They are free online too.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:20 PM   #5
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Here is the preamble from Flight from the Dark, which sets things up quite nicely.

In the northern land of Sommerlund, it has been the custom for many centuries to send the children of the Warrior Lords to the monastery of Kai. There they are taught the skills and disciplines of their noble fathers.

The Kai monks are masters of their art, and the children in their charge love and respect them in spite of the hardships of their training. For one day when they have finally learnt the secret skills of the Kai, they will return to their homes equipped in mind and body to defend themselves against the constant threat of war from the Darklords of the west.

In olden times, during the Age of the Black Moon, the Darklords waged war on Sommerlund. The conflict was a long and bitter trial of strength that ended in victory for the Sommlending at the great battle of Maakengorge. King Ulnar and the allies of Durenor broke the Darklord armies at the pass of Moytura and forced them back into the bottomless abyss of Maakengorge. Vashna, mightiest of the Darklords, was slain upon the sword of King Ulnar, called 'Sommerswerd', the sword of the sun. Since that age, the Darklords have vowed vengeance upon Sommerlund and the House of Ulnar.

Now it is in the morning of the feast of Fehmarn, when all of the Kai Lords are present at the monastery for the celebrations. Suddenly a great black cloud comes from out of the western skies. So many are the numbers of the black-winged beasts that fill the sky, that the sun is completely hidden. The Darklords, ancient enemy of the Sommlending are attacking. War has begun.

On this fateful morning, you, Silent Wolf (the name given to you by the Kai) have been sent to collect firewood in the forest as a punishment for your inattention in class. As you are preparing to return, you see to your horror a vast cloud of black leathery creatures swoop down and engulf the monastery.

Dropping the wood, you race to the battle that has already begun. But in the unnatural dark, you stumble and strike your head on a low tree branch. As you lose consciousness, the last thing that you see in the poor light are the walls of the monastery crashing to the ground.

Many hours pass before you awake. With tears in your eyes you now survey the scene of destruction. Raising your face to the clear sky, you swear vengeance on the Darklords for the massacre of the Kai warriors, and with a sudden flash of realization you know what you must do. You must set off on a perilous journey to the capital city to warn the King of the terrible threat that now faces his people. For you are now the last of the Kai--you are now the Lone Wolf.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 11-19-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:50 PM   #6
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The Game Mechanics

In this game, numbers are determined by rolling a d10. Initially, you selected a number at random from a Random Number Chart which had all of them printed on it. You were to close your eyes, move your pencil about, and let it drop on a random number. However, a d10 just makes more sense and it is a lot easier.

You have to keep track of two stats. The first is Combat Skill, which shows your prowess in battle. The other is Endurance Points, which is basically your hit points.

Here is how combat goes. Find the difference between your Combat Skill and your foe’s. Then each round you roll the die and consult a chart based on your roll and the difference in skills. This tells you how many EP you and your foe(s) lose. Then, if you are both still alive, you continue rolling dice until one is dead, or the text tells you to stop. (There are times when it may say, if you take your foe to 10 or less Endurance Points, go to Section XXX).

I have the possibility to Evade in some sections. If I do, I roll once more and only I take damage, then I flee and go to the section indicated.

To begin the game, you roll the die twice, once for each skill. You add ten to CS and 20 to EP to generate your skills. The EP score is a cap, so you need to keep track of your max and current EP.

Let’s do that now:

My rolls were 8 and 6, which is 18 CS and 26 EP. That’s really strong, and I’ve played through this tons of times before. Now, you can win no matter what your initial EP and CS are, but I’d prefer to have a bit harder of a go at it. Let’s cheat a bit and reroll my CS. Heh, I rolled 8 again. Okay, one more time. 5. Perfect. Let’s take it.

Initial stats:

15 CS, 26 EP

Old 11-18-2009, 11:57 PM   #7
Izulde
Head Coach

The RNC was too easy to memorize IMO.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:36 AM   #8
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Inventory

Okay, your will keep track of several items through the game mechanics. First of all, you have room for up to two weapons, but you can use only one at a time. These take up weapon slots.

Next up is backpack. You have eight slots in your backpack for various items. The most common use for your backpack is meals, tools of adventuring, or herbs and potions. You have a belt punch that can hold up to 50 gold crowns, the unit of coinage. Finally, you can keep track of special items that are stored elsewhere.

Now, in Book 8, they will introduce a limit of 12 special items per person, but many special items will say they do not count against that limit, like tickets, rings, a scabbard, etc. The goal is to reduce the number of special items getting carried around all of the time, so I will introduce this rule early for Lone Wolf. Just 12 special items, but I will disregard things like jewelry, and small items.

I am also instituting an Abe Rule. I can carry small items in my backpack if I choose, if they would make sense to do so. For example, in addition to a broad sword and mace, I could toss a dagger in my backpack as a spare weapon just in case. I would rule a dagger would take up just one space. However, it would be unable to be retrieved in combat, and just be there as an extra.

I will also use the Safekeeping rule initially. I can store items in Safekeeping for future stories, but not be accessible during an adventure.

There are also some armor rules. No more than one shield, one helmet, etc. However, many armors are compatible with each other, like a padded waistcoat and chain mail (which were often worn together in the Middle Ages). There is an official chart as to what can be worn with what.

During the adventure, I will be instructed to eat a meal. If I do not have one, and cannot use a Kai Discipline to get one, then I lose 3 current EP. These cannot be restored by the Healing Discipline.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 11-19-2009 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:37 AM   #9
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The RNC was too easy to memorize IMO.

True. Plus I would cheat when I was a kid,

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 11-19-2009 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:59 AM   #10
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Kai Disciplines

You are just an initiate in the Kai Order. As such, you have only mastered five of the ten Kai Disciplines. Now I have to choose which of these ten I have. Each has different advantages. Let’s take a look.

Camouflage - This skill represents your ability to blend into various surroundings and hide from prying eyes. Rocks and trees and other cover is necessary in order to hide effectively. You can also pass close to enemies within being detected, and can adopt an accent of the local people with ease.

Hunting - This gives you basic hunting skills like stalking. In addition, when I am instructed to eat a meal, I can hunt for one instead of using one from my backpack. I cannot find game in the wastelands and deserts, but elsewhere is fine.

Sixth Sense - This skill gives you a chance to feel danger or extra perceptions of information. It is the basic divinatory skill to gather information about your surroundings, items, and people.

Tracking - This allows you to follow another. It also helps in determining the correct path to take when in the wild.

Healing - This skill gives you some basic information of first aid and healing techniques. Additionally, for each numbered section I go to without combat, I can heal one EP lost due to combat or similar means. It will not heal EP lost to missed meals, mental attacks, physical strain, exposure to the elements, and such.

Weaponskill - If I take this skill, I roll a 10 sided die and I am assigned a weapon. I have skill in that weapon. Whenever I use it in combat, I get +2 to my CS. Since you begin with the axe in your hand, that’s a useful roll, but you really want the 40% chance of rolling a sword, short sword, or broadsword for the long term.

Mindblast - This is a psychic attack that can really knock foes for a loop. It adds +2 CS to fights unless your foe has Mindshield, or they have no mind.

Mindshield - Many of the most powerful minions can use psychic attacks, and this will protect you from their use of Mindblast.

Animal Kinship - This skill gives you some knowledge of basic animals, and allows you to communicate with them.

Mind Over Matter - This allows you to move small objects with your will alone. It requires concentration, so it has no use in combat.

Let’s talk about these. If I get a low CS, I would almost always take Weaponskill and Mindblast in my first five, to help alleviate it. However, note that Mindblast never works on the big fights, so it seems like you never want it when you need it, only have it for the smaller and mid-range stuff.

Mindshield only gets used a few times in each adventure, but it is useful on the big fights, when you want it. Mindshield helps when Mindblast often does not, and vice versa. Mindshield, if I recall correctly, can also be used to keep you from being found by psychic scrying.

If you want to make a flavorful Kai, you could focus on the Psychic, or on the Warrior. For example:

Mindblast
Mindshield
Sixth Sense
Mind Over Matter
Animal Kinship

vs.

Weaponskill
Camouflage
Healing
Tracking
Hunting

However, I find a more cuisinart approach to be the best.

If you look at the skills, you will notice that Sixth Sense is really the only divinatory skill out there. Sure, others will tell you thins like Tracking and Animal Kinship, but its Sixth Sense that gives you info. It’s my #1 skill.

What the other four are vary from what I want to do to what I want to do.

In order to stave off death, I want Healing. It can enable you to win the otherwise unwinnable.

The rest is really a matter of choice. Hunting is a good skill initially, but the 3rd and 5th books take place in the arctic and the desert respectively, so not much hunting there. Book 2 has a lot in the Wildlands, no Hunting there either. It’s great for Book 1 though. Similarly, Tracking is money in the first book, since you are outside for most of it. That quickly is reduced by caves, caverns, and more in other books. Weaponskill has a 40% chance of being a money skill or a wasted skill during Book 2. It’s really only good in Book 1 and most of Book 2 if you don’t get sword of some sort.

Camouflage, Animal Kinship, Mind Over Matter have their uses, but none are massively powerful. I’ve talked of the others.

So, let’s do Tracking, the 40% chance on Weaponskill and Mindblast.

Let’s roll for Weaponskill. Here we go….Quarterstaff. Yuck. A waste in a couple of books.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:20 AM   #11
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The Kai Order was founded over 1200 years ago by Sun Eagle as a order devoted to the teachings of Kai, God of the Sun. The Kai have been the protectors and guardians and warrior elite for Sommerlund for as long as memory provides.

Peace has held over the land for ages, but the Darklords have attacked elsewhere building their power base. Now, in one surprise strike, they have destroyed the Order, and it is Lone Wolf’s duty to inform the King.

All I have is my Axe, Kai Cloak and Tunic, a Backpack with one meal, a belt pouch with 18 gold crowns, and I move to investigate the ruins. Within I find two things - a Map of Sommerlund, and a random item that I roll for now…

Oh yes, I rolled a 4. Chainmail Waistcoat. I put it on and my EP jumps +4.

The Map:

Old 11-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #12
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I am leaving the ruins of the monastery. The massacre of the Kai is almost complete, save for myself. I know I need to leave. As I do, I have two choices, a right path into the woods, or a left path into the same. If I have the Kai Discipline of Sixth Sense, I can instead go to a different section, which I choose to do.

My Sixth Sense warns that servants of the Darklords are scouting out both paths in order to see if any Kai survived. Instead of hitting the obvious paths, I want to smash into the undergrowth. The south is the obvious direction towards Holmgard, the capital. However, I can also go Northeast into heavier brush. I want to hide, and going in the non-obvious direction into deeper brush makes perfect sense.

After a half an hour, I hear the sound of wings beating, and turn up to see a foul flying creatures called a Kraan, bred in the dungeons of the Darklands, with mountain Giaks riding it, scouting for Kai like me. Giaks are the grunts of the Darklords, hardy, and powerful, but often lacking in higher level skills and intelligence. Luckily, I am in the deepest brush, and I am able to hide until the Kraan flies past.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:23 AM   #13
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

After about a quarter of a mile, I begin to hear thunderclaps and harsh noises. The trees open out to a clearing with some ruins, called Raumas, an ancient temple. I see a war party of more than 20 Giaks assaulting the ruins, and among them is a young theurgist wearing the sky-blue starred robes of the Magician’s Guild of Toran. He launches another bolt of lightning into the Giaks.

I see a black garbed Giak larger then the rest and seemingly ordered the others in their attacks. On his order, five Giaks move as one, with spears raised, and charge the magician. While he faces tehm with more magic, a sixth Giak sneaks behind him with a cruel looking sword, and is about ready to ambush him. I have several options:

Shout a Warning
Run Forward and Attack the Giak
Pick Up a Chunk of Temple Marble and Throw it at the Giak.
Turn and Leave

The third option makes the most sense. I can still charge if it misses, and it is a lot better than a random stranger charging out of the brush at a magician already under assault.

I am sent to a section that requires me to roll a die. I roll a 4 and turn to the given section. The marble cracks into the Giak’s skull and it dies, falling to the ground.

After seeing me enter the clearing, axe in hand, the lead Giak shouts to his remaining troops and they flee the ruins, shouting at me as they do. The magician did well. Over 15 Giaks are dead.

We shake hands. He is quite exhausted and tired and thanks me for my aid.

His name is Banedon, and he is a young apprentice in the Magician‘s Guild of Toran, although quite capable as you’ve seen. He has been sent to the Kai Monastery with critical news, and pulls out a letter.

You open the letter. The Guildmaster of the Magician‘s Guild has discovered news of a possible attack on the monastery and dispatched Banedon to give the Kai the news before they fall. Unfortunately, the Darklords were faster than the Guildmaster believed, and the Kai fell before they got the news, with Banedon less than a mile away from the Monastery.

Banedon believes the Magician’s Guild has been betrayed from within. What he tells you:

“One of my order, a brother called Vonotar, had explored the forbidden mysteries of the Black Art. Ten days ago he denounced the Brotherhood and killed one of our Elders. He has since disappeared. It is rumoured that he now aids the Darklords.”

You inform Banedon that the Kai have already fallen. You are the last of the Kai. Sorrowfully, Banedon reaches into his shirt and pulls out a Crystal Star Pendant. He tells you it is a signed of the brothers in his guild, and it is a token of good luck. Lone Wolf slips the Pendant on (special item acquired).

Banedon leaves to inform his guild what happened, and I go my way.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:57 AM   #14
DataKing
Pro Rookie

This brings back memories.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:10 PM   #15
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
This brings back memories.

I hope good ones!

Old 11-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #16
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Yes...good ones. I suppose I should have specified.

I'll be reading.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #17
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Shortly after I leave the clearing, I notice some ugly eyes glowering at me from the brush and suddenly a black arrow fires at me. Giaks are ambushing me! Perhaps they are the same ones from the clearing. As I race through the trees, the Giaks continue to pursue. The trees thin out, and there is a rock outcropping. I have two choices: make for the rocky hill, or break back into the forest. I choose to break cover and head for the hill, perhaps I can get the high ground and gain an advantage.

The hillside is loose and slippery. I see two Giaks follow me from the woods. About halfway up the hill side, I see a small cave. I have three options:

If I have Camouflage, I can use it
I can enter the Cave
I can climb to the hop of the hill

I avoid the cave. The plan was to get high ground. I continue to climb.

As I climb, I see a Kraan circling the top of the hill and peak above. I can choose to face and fight the Giaks now, with the high ground advantage, or head to the top of the peak where the Kraan is. I turn around and face them.

I get a +1 to my CS when fighting them for the tactical advantage. I will fight them one at the time. The first has a CS of 13, EP of 10, and the second 12 and 10.

I roll a 6, and the difference is 4. I take 2, and it takes 10 and dies. The second is up. With a difference of 7. I roll a 8 and it takes 16 and dies, without me taking anything. My axe cleaves it easily.

I win, and I take an EP from cuts and scrapes on the hillside, but gain one EP back for Healing. I arrive at the base of the hill and can go either north or east. East takes me closer to Holmgard, which is in the southeast, so let’s go that way. That’s another EP healed.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:38 PM   #18
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I walk for over an hour. I do not see the Kraan anywhere but I keep a vigil. I am very hungry and eat my meal. I heal the final EP and am back up to full strength.

The path ends at a large clearing. In the clearing is a large treehouse suspended from a massive oak tree. There is no ladder, but there are many footholds. I can either climb the tree and search the house, or press on.

Thinking that a tall vantage point would help me get my bearings, I decide to climb the tree.

I push open the treehouse door and spy a old hermit, huddled in the corner of the house in fear.

He relaxes when he sees my Kai cloak. He tells me the area is full of Giaks and Kraan, and he‘s seen over 40 Kraan flying to the east. He scuttles around and quickly gives me enough fruit for a meal, and I put in in my backpack. He also produces a fine Warhammer, and tells me to take it, since my need is greater than his. If I had weaponskill in a Warhammer, I would. The text allows me to only swap weapons with one in my possession, because I need to leave him with a weapon to defend himself. I thank the old hermit and leave.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #19
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Two hours pass and I wander around. Am I lost? As I descend a rocky hillock, I see something…curious.

Surrounded by thorns and roots, is an old looking cave. It’s big, with a wide mouth and a lot of room inside. As I near, I can feel a breeze from the other side. Passing through the cave would allow me to shave a lot of time off my scaling these hills. It could be dangerous too.

I can enter the cave, or climb the hillside. I decide not to risk it and go up the hill. As I continue my climb, I see about ten Kraan approaching from the west. This is a difficult climb, and if combat happens here, it will be tough to fight. I can keep climbing, or go back to the tunnel. I choose to go back and enter the tunnel.

The tunnel is quite dark and cold. I place one hand on the cave wall and I advance. Smells of decay. Suddenly, a Burrowcrawler drops from above and attacks me.

It is trying to kill me with its tentacles. It has a CS of 17 and Ep of the same. Little tentacled worm creature is immune to Mindblast and I still haven’t found a quarterstaff, so I have a CS of 15 for this battle. I also lose 3 CS because I do not have a torch, so my CS is actually 12. Dangereuse.

I roll a 0, which is a 10. It takes 9 and I take nothing. I follow with a 4. It takes 3, and I take 5. A 6 is rolled - 5 to it, 4 to me. Just enough to kill it, and I took 9 damage.

I kill the slimy beast, but the dark and the attack have caused me to panic a bit. I grab my belt from its jaws and move quickly throughout the rest of the cave, it’s death cry in my ears. Within a few minutes, I plunge out of the cave and rest for a bit. After I recoup my energy, I realize I am still wearing my belt. I am holding a belt of a former victim. It has a dagger and 20 gold crowns on it, and I take both, and then push on eastward.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #20
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The forest begins to thin out, and I finally hit a road. Traveling on the road are many refugees from the new war fleeing south with carts, wagons, and whatever they can get. I have two options:

Join the Refugees and Get News
Continue South Under Cover of Trees

Going out into the open would normally be a Bad Thing, but I hope in this press of humanity, I go missed, and information right now is needed. I choose to Join the Refugees.

The people here are hungry and tired, weary and war-torn despite the short duration of the war so far. The Darklords struck unexpectedly. I hear the beat of wings and someone shouts out “Kraan!” Many scurry for cover, but a wagon in front of me with children in it has jammed it’s wheel, and the children scream in panic. I can help them or flee for cover.

I help them.

I sprint towards the wagon. People are running everywhere in panic and the Kraan attack. Three Giaks jump from the back of a Kraan and approach the children. I have to either fight the Giaks, or flee to a nearby farmhouse.

I fight. I have gained 4 EP back from the passages I went through and Healing.

I fight the Giaks as one enemy with 15 CS and 13 EP. I roll a 5 and dole out 7 while taking 2. A 9 kills them with 12 more damage, while I take nothing. I am at 23 EP.

I win, and I can run to the farmhouse or to the woods. I choose farmhouse.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #21
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I kick in the door and Kraan fly around. Against a fireplace is a Warhammer which I take, and drop my Dagger into the backpack. I have three choices:

Stay in the farmhouse
Search it more
Flee back to the forest

I search it more. I manage to scrape together enough food for a meal.

After an hour, the Kraan vanish and the refugees leave cover. As we prepare for cover, I hear hoofs in the distance. Many hoofs. I see cavalry bearing the arms and crest of the King’s Guard coming down the road. I can try and stop them or just continue along the forest edge.

These are powerful allies, so I call out to them. The officer calls his men to a halt and asks my business. I tell them of the loss of the Kai. He is saddened by the news, and offers me a horse to ride along with them to Prince Pelathar, to inform him of what is going on. I accept the horse (I have a chance to decline).

Old 11-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #22
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I ride with the cavalry, and after a while we see and hear signs of battle looming. We ride into it, as Sommlending fight against the monsters of darkness. I see Prince Pelathar fall to the ground while fighting a huge monster known as a Gourgaz when an arrow pierces his side. The Gourgaz is wielding a huge black axe.

I can either choose to defend the Prince or head into the forest and try to evade the battle. I rush to defend my Prince.

I regained 4 EP in the meantime and have 27 EP left. These Gourgaz are quite powerful. CS 20, EP 30, and immune to Mindblast, and me without a quarterstaff. Still. I pick up the Prince’s Sword and use it.

I roll a 1 and take 6, while it takes nothing. I follow with a 7 and it takes 6 while I add 3 more damage. An 8 follows and I take 2, it 7. It has taken 13 and me 11. A 2 deals 1 to it and 6 to me. 14 and 17. Then a 5, for 4 each 18, 21. I have just 6 EP left while it has 12.

I do not have an option to Evade. I have to duke this out.

I roll a 7, and it takes 6 and me 3. Here is how the math breaks down. I kill it, and survive, only on a 8, 9, or 0. I die on a 1-6. On a 7, we both die. Okay, one die roll, here we go, …8. Rolled it naturally. Whew.

I am at ONE life. Healing saved my life. The lucky roll that got me a Chainmail Waistcoat saved me.

The giant Gourgaz is dead at my feet. The Prince is injured and dying. The soldiers form a protective guard around him. The Prince sees the color of my cloak, and then…

The dying Prince looks up into your eyes and says, 'Kai Lord, you must take a message to my father. The enemy is too strong, we cannot hold him. The King must seek that which is in Durenor or all is lost. Take my horse and ride for the capital. May the luck of the gods ride with you.'

The battle continues to rage as I mount the horse and make for the capital.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:58 PM   #23
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I ride the magnificent horse for some time, and must eat a meal. The path stops at a junction, and there is a wooden sign that had information, but it has been hacked down. I can use Tracking, go left or go right. I use Tracking.

It informs me that the tracks on the right path are made by Doomwolves and go off to the Durncrag Mountains. The left path moves to Holmgard. With this info, I go left.

After about three miles, I spy five Doomwolves with Giak riders. They are going in my direction, but one turns back and moves my way. I can either fight him, or hide in the undergrowth. I try to hide. It works and the Doomwolf and rider leave. I can now try to move deeper into the forest or try and kill the Doomwolves and Giaks. I have healed 5 EP and have 6. Attacking four Giak Riders and steeds would be suicide. I choose to push further into the growth.

The horse and I push on deeper into the forest. The light is fading fast as Day ends. The road and Doomwolves are far behind us. I can press on ahead or bear left, in the direction of the original path. I choose to bear left, since that is the way to Holmgard.

I eventually arrive at the main road between Toran and Holmgard. With a major road to ride, and with a great steed, I estimate I will reach the capital by morning. As we press on, night turns too dark to continue to ride safely, so I pull the horse into the brush, and grab some sleep in the boughs of a tree.

The cry of a Kraan and the morning sky end my slumber. I am not sure if I have been spotted or not, so I decide to head out immediately. We head south.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:20 PM   #24
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

After several miles of no enemies, I cross a ridge and see the capital from there. However, there is one major obstacle to yet face.

The tall-grey white walls and spires of Holmgard and the fluttering flags can be seen in the distance. However, between me and the capital is a large black army moving towards it. There is no way I can approach Holmgard the normal way. After some spying, I can come up with three ways to circumvent the army:

1). A highway off to the left will get me there at full gallop in an hour and goes around the army. However, I am in the open the entire time and vulnerable to Kraan attack.

2). A wide river drifts off towards the city. I can abandon the Prince’s Horse, and swim the river hoping it will cover me until I reach Holmgard.

3). I can enter the Graveyard of the Ancients. This crumbling, decaying, and horrible crypt area is far away from the eyes of the enemy, but there could be a lot of baddies in there.

All have disadvantages. Exposure for an hour. Swimming the river, which is near the army. Entering a vile area.

By now, I know that the enemy knows of my survival. Too many of their troops have seen me. Therefore, even the risks of the Graveyard seem worth it to avoid an entire army.

I choose to enter the Graveyard of the Ancients.

A strange mist clouds and obscures the Graveyard as I approach - perfect cover. I have to leave behind my horse, and a chill, both physical and spiritual, enters my body as I enter the Graveyard.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:47 PM   #25
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

There are vile gases and noxious fumes, plus this nasty thorn called graveweed that tears into my clothes and flesh. As I move around, the ground suddenly collapses and I fall!

I fell 15 feet but am just winded. I appear to be in an underground tomb. I can’t climb out. There is a sarcophagus here, and an arched tunnel out. I can open the sarcophagus, leave by the tunnel, or use Sixth Sense.

I use it and it tells me this place is very, uber evil. I flee quickly. The walls are dank, slimy. The air is stale and the cobwebs thick. I reach a junction and can choose either north or south. I go south, which should be towards Holmgard.

I enter a room with a strange greenish light illuminating everything. There is a granite throne here. In front of it is a winged serpent curled in the shape of a S. I can sit in the throne, observe the serpent, or look for an exit.

I decide to look for an exit, but there is no way of opening the stone portal I found. I head back. Sit on the throne or inspect the serpent? This smells of a trap. Do one, and the door opens. Do the other, and something bad happens. I decide to sit on the throne, because it seems the more unlikely thing to do, and therefore less likely to be punished. The serpent slowly moves forward and opens its mouth, dropping a Golden Key on my lap. The exit opens and I move through it.

Another portal opens as I approach after a few minutes, and then snaps closed behind me as I move through it. The corridor opens up into a big hallway, and I find a stone staircase going up. Up! I move up and find a giant door at the top, with a weird locking mechanism. There is a keyhole, there is also a key pin. I can:

Use Mind Over Matter
Pull the Pin
Insert the Golden Key

I use the Key.

I hear a click - it works. The door will not open, so I pull the pin. Now it opens. The half-light of the Graveyard greets me, and the mist begins to swirl at my feet. There is a lot of graveweed at this long disused entrance, and I get cut in many places. As I move out I hear a sinister laugh from the necropolis and I run as fast as I can the rest of the way.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:11 AM   #26
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

After a short period of time, I put the Graveyard of the Ancients behind me, and approach the fieldworks around Holmgard. At first, my muddy and torn appearance is met with suspicion, but as I near, someone recognizes my Kai cloak. The guards cheer me on. I splash through a shallow stream and arrive at the gate of Holmgard. Exhausted by the ordeal of fleeing from the Kai Monastery to Holmgard, I faint as I reach the gate.

A few minutes later I am revived and lean on the shoulders of the King’s men as I enter Holmgard. A sergeant, blood-stained and battle-weary approaches and asks where my fellow Kai are. Holmgard is sorely pressed and they are needed. I inform him of their massacre, and he brings me a horse to ride to the King and deliver the news.

I reach the main gates and stare as always at the high battlements, which have never fallen. I follow the officer and then great crowds rush to and fro. I decide to follow the officer rather than leave him behind. We rush for the castle and the officer turns me over to a man dressed in the king‘s colors of purple and white. I choose to follow him too, rather than flee. We enter the main hall, then a library. A hidden passage is revealed when he pushes some books and he beckons me to follow. I choose to.

Ten minutes pass and we move down the corridor. Soon we arrive at a lush opulent bedroom. He beckons me to wait and goes on. I eat, bathe and change into some white robes. He returns to take me to the King.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:26 AM   #27
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I enter the Chamber of State.

Quote:

You enter the Chamber of State, a magnificent hall decorated lavishly in white and gold. The King and his closest advisers are studying a large map spread upon a marble plinth in the centre of the chamber. Their faces are lined with worry and concentration. A silence fills the hall as you tell of the death of your kinsmen and of your perilous journey to the citadel. As you finish your story, the King approaches and takes your right hand in his.

'Lone Wolf, you have selfless courage: the quality of a true Kai Lord. Your journey here has been one of great peril and although your news comes as a grievous blow, the spirit of your determination is like a beacon of hope to us all in this dark hour. You have brought great honour to the memory of your Masters, and for that we praise you.'

You receive the praise and heartfelt thanks of the entire hall--an honour that brings a certain redness to your young face. The King raises his hand and all the voices cease.

'You have done all that Sommerlund could have asked of a loyal son, but she is greatly in need of you still. The Darklords are powerful once more and their ambition knows no bounds. Our only hope lies within Durenor with the power that once defeated the Darklords an age ago. Lone Wolf, you are the last of the Kai--you have the skills. Will you journey to Durenor and return with the Sommerswerd, the sword of the sun? Only with that gift of the gods may we crush this evil and save our land.'

Old 11-20-2009, 12:26 AM   #28
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

End of Flight from the Dark

Old 11-20-2009, 01:28 AM   #29
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Okay, let’s analyze the first book. Weaponskill was completely useless. I never even found a Quarterstaff, let alone had the ability to use it.

I was asked once if I had Camouflage, twice about Sixth Sense, once on Tracking, once on Mind Over Matter, and that‘s it. I could have won this with just Sixth Sense and Healing and Mindblast, and probably just Healing and Sixth Sense.

Okay, let’s move to Fire on the Water, the next book in the series.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #30
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Good stuff Abe. Can't believe you survived with 1 hp.

Sixth Sense is also a must have skill for me. I also like hunting because it's not just useful for meals, I believe it also gives you options for sneak attacks or better distance attacks in later books (can't recall exactly).

So what happens if you die in book 2? Do you go back to book 1 or back to the start of book 2? If you go back to the start of book 2, do you keep what you had from book 1?

Just curious, because I never really knew what I was supposed to do. I usually played that if I died in a book, I just went back to the beginning of the one I died with along with whatever I had when I started the book.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #31
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Good stuff Abe. Can't believe you survived with 1 hp.

Sixth Sense is also a must have skill for me. I also like hunting because it's not just useful for meals, I believe it also gives you options for sneak attacks or better distance attacks in later books (can't recall exactly).

So what happens if you die in book 2? Do you go back to book 1 or back to the start of book 2? If you go back to the start of book 2, do you keep what you had from book 1?

Just curious, because I never really knew what I was supposed to do. I usually played that if I died in a book, I just went back to the beginning of the one I died with along with whatever I had when I started the book.

Thanks, glad you liked it! I play that way too, start over from the beginning, and then keep what I had from the previous book.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #32
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Safekeeping:

Golden Key
Prince’s Sword
Kai Axe
Burrowcrawler Dagger
Warhammer from Farmhouse

Keeping:

Crystal Star Pendant
38 Gold Crowns
1 Meal
Chainmail WC
Map of Sommerlund

Old 11-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #33
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Alright, Flight from the Dark is considered by most fans to be the weakest of the books in the series. You can play through it quickly, and there are some issues with game balance and such. Now we are starting to hit the nail on the head with Fire on the Water, and Joe Dever is almost hitting all cylinders except for the Deus Ex Machina about to be introduced, so it’s not super-great or anything.

The introduction from the book:

In the northern land of Sommerlund, it has been the custom for many centuries to send the children of the Warrior Lords to the monastery of Kai. There they are taught the skills and disciplines of their noble fathers.

In olden times, during the Age of the Black Moon, the Darklords waged war on Sommerlund. The conflict was a long and bitter trial of strength that ended in victory for the Sommlending at the great battle of Maakengorge. King Ulnar and the allies of Durenor broke the Darklord armies at the pass of Moytura and forced them back into the bottomless abyss of Maakengorge. Vashna, mightiest of the Darklords, was slain upon the sword of King Ulnar, called 'Sommerswerd', the sword of the sun. Since that age, the Darklords have vowed vengeance upon Sommerlund and the House of Ulnar.

You are Lone Wolf, a young Kai initiate who was learning the secret skills of the Kai Lords. Two days ago, your peaceful country was plunged into war when a vast Darklord army suddenly invaded Sommerlund and completely destroyed the Kai Monastery. All the Kai Lords were in attendance for the feast of Fehmarn, and all were killed as the monastery was surrounded and destroyed, the walls collapsing in on the assembled company. You, the only Kai Lord to survive the massacre, vowed then to avenge their deaths. You knew your first task had to be to warn the King, for without the Kai Lords to lead her armies, your country, Sommerlund, would be unable to mobilize in time to drive the Darklords back.

Your journey to the capital was perilous indeed. The enemy had overrun much of the country and were marching upon Holmgard, the capital itself. But despite the many dangers, you fought your way through to the capital and delivered your warning to the King's court. There you were greatly praised for your skill and bravery but told your mission was not complete: with the Kai Lords dead, there remained only one power in all of Magnamund that could save your people from the Darklords--the Sommerswerd.

After the defeat of Vashna, the Sommerswerd had been bestowed upon the allies of Durenor as a mark of trust and allegiance that exists between the two kingdoms. In return, King Alin of Durenor gave Sommerlund a magnificent golden ring bearing the royal arms of Durenor. This ring is known as the Seal of Hammerdal. At that time, King Alin vowed that if ever the shadow of the west should rise again to threaten Sommerlund, Durenor would come to the aid of her ally.

The King has given you the Seal of Hammerdal. Your quest is to travel to Durenor to fetch the Sommerswerd back. But meanwhile the enemy have broken through the outer defences to the capital and are preparing to besiege the city wall. As Captain D'Val of the King's Guard leads you to the Royal Armoury to equip you for your mission, the King's words keep coming back to you:

'Forty days, Lone Wolf. We have strength to stand against them for only forty days.'

Note that Flight from the Dark takes place in only two days, and this adventure begins the same day. Within two days, the armies of the Darklords have burned Toran, destroyed the Kai, and begun a siege on Holmgard itself. Holmgard has never fallen in over 1000 years, but it will fall in less than two months if my mission is not successful

Old 11-20-2009, 10:19 AM   #34
Izulde
Head Coach

That was an epic fight you had against the Gourgaz. Impressive that you survived and that you managed to zip through Book 1 so quickly.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #35
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That was an epic fight you had against the Gourgaz. Impressive that you survived and that you managed to zip through Book 1 so quickly.

Book 1 is quick, and the Gourgaz bastard always gives me problems. I can't tell you how many times it has killed me.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:21 AM   #36
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I am given the Seal of Hammerdal as a special item. Captain D’Val also gives me a pouch of 19 gold. I top up my pouch at 50 gold crowns and move the extra to Safekeeping.

I can choose a new discipline for Lone Wolf to know, after having already finished one adventure. After some consideration, I have it down to Mindshield and Camouflage. I decide to rock Mindshield. I missed the enemies in the last book that use Mindblast, but they are all over this book.

I am allowed to take two items from the armory. After some looking, I decide to take a Quarterstaff, so I have my Weaponskill weapon finally. I also take a shield, which is a special item that adds two to my Combat Skill.

Here is what I have:

Crystal Star Pendant
50 Gold Crowns
1 Meal
Chainmail Waistcoat
Shield
Quarterstaff
Seal of Hammerdal
Map of Sommerlund

30 EP
19 CS, 21 w/ Mindblast

Sixth Sense
Tracking
Healing
Weaponskill
Mindblast
Mindshield

The map from the previous adventure is used for this one as well, as it shows all of the Lastlands.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:42 AM   #37
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Okay, let’s move to Fire on the Water, the next book in the series.

I have this one! And the next one.

Though I was heavily into gamebooks at this time, I must confess that this series was one of my least favorite. That doesn't mean that I won't be following along. So I wish you well.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #38
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Thanks!

Old 11-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #39
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I will be sailing out of Holmgard aboard the Green Sceptre. Captain D’Val and his guards escort me down to the quay, where he tells me I am to meet Ronan the first mate. I am to find him at the Good Cheer Inn. Within a few moments I find the inn but the doors are locked and the windows shuttered.

Suddenly, a hand reaches out of the darkness and pulls me into the shadows. I can either draw my weapon and attack or try to pull free of his grasp. I decide to sling my staff.

As I twirl my staff about, ready to strike, my assailant cries out that he is Ronan. I divert my blow and he is sweating profusely and a bit scared. He seems nervous, and apologizes that he did not mean to startle me. I move into the tavern and sit with him at a table in the darkness. Only a few mice with some cheese provide any distraction from Ronan.

Ronan tells me that Captain Kelman is ready to take me aboard, but I must prove I am the Kai Lord. He asks to prove my identity. I have six options. I can use Animal Kinship, Mindblast, Weaponskill, Mind Over Matter or Healing. I can also refuse his request or have the highly unusual skill set of Tracking, Sixth Sense, Mindshield, Camouflage and Hunting which would mean I couldn’t prove myself.

I choose Mindblast. I look into his eyes, and he suddenly falls backwards, clutching his hand in pain as if he had picked up a red hot coal. His eyes widen in amazement. He cries out that I am indeed a Kai Lord.

“Or should I say you were!”

With that, the door crashes open and three harbor thugs crash in with weapons ready. I have to fight them as one enemy. I can evade after two rounds of combat if I wish.

CS 16, EP 25

With staff, Mindblast and shield I have a 21 CS with a difference of +5, pretty good. I roll a 7 and they take 12 and me 0. A 6 follows and they take 11 and me 1. Then I roll a 1 and they take 6 and me 4. They are dead and I took 5 damage.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:21 PM   #40
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The sailor who claimed to be Ronan has disappeared. I search the bodies of the sailors and find nothing except a tattoo of a serpent on their left wrist. Well, it appears my journey is already known. I leave the tavern by the side door and find the body of a sailor in the alley. After inspecting it, I find tag bearing the name Ronan. Here then lays the real Ronan, cut down just to get to me.

I can either try and hunt down the imposter or take a boat to the Green Sceptre. I decide to hunt down “Ronan.”

I spend some time looking for him, but to no avail. It’s just too easy to hide here in the Quay. I untie a small boat from its mooring and head out to the Green Sceptre.

As I near the ship, a sailor is yelling at me, thinking I am a stowaway or perhaps a poor refugee seeking free passage. I tell him who I am and what happened at the tavern and the ladder is lowered for me. I find the Captain Kelman with his bright red hair and he orders the ship to begin preparations for sailing to Durenor.

He ushers me into his cabin for the full story, and then talks about ill omens. He is saddened by the loss of his first mate and we do not have the element of surprise like we had expected. As I leave his cabin I can see the spires of Holmgard in the distance fade away. I am asked to roll the dice and move to the indicated passage.

I roll a 2.

The following morning I am woken by the cry of a ship off the starboard bow. I climb onto the deck to see exactly what is going on. I can see the coastline of wooded Sommerlund in the distance, and we see a merchant ship that appears to be badly damaged flying the flag of Durenor upside down, which is the naval sign of distress. The ship is low in the water.

I am instructed to roll a die again and again head to the indicated passage. I get an 8.

I urge the captain to pull alongside the ship to see what we can do, but he refuses to do so, and barks out orders to the sailors to continue their duties. I suppose my mission is important, but I feel we should help others when we can, especially allies like the Durenese.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #41
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

After three days at sea, I am told that if I have the skill of Healing, all of my wounds are healed.

Shipboard life is dull, boring. This really isn’t the place for the Kai. On the fourth day, I am talking with an injured sailor when I notice that the hold is smoking. I have three options:

Yell Fire
Enter the Hold
Warn the Captain

Well, if the fire is that big, no sense going in there, and why waste time trying to find the captain? I yell “Fire”

Panic strikes the ship, and sailors move into a routine commonly practiced but rarely engaged. Buckets with water and moistened blankets are the weapons on this war. After some time, the fire is quelled but the damage is severe. The food stores are destroyed and the ship is weakened.

The captain approaches me with a bundle wrapped in a blanket and tells me to come to his cabin immediately.

After we close the door, the captain unfurls the bundle on the table. There is a large jug and some oily rags blackened by the fire.

This was an act of sabotage. The fire was deliberately set by a traitor among the crew. In a food store there is oily rags and a jug of oil? No way. We stare at the damning information as if unsure what to do next when a cry breaks our concentration:

“Ship Off the Port Bow!”

Old 11-20-2009, 03:56 PM   #42
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The captain grabs his sword and telescope and leaves his office. I can do two things, follow him, or make a quick search of his cabin. I decide just to follow him out, I don’t want to be suspicious.

Captain Kelman is at the edge of the ship with a spyglass and points out the vessel. It is not flying a flag, and it has a weird hull shape. He has sent a longboat out to investigate her, and as it nears the strange vessel, a fog quickly rolls in, obscuring everything. I am asked to choose a random number and move to that passage. I roll a 9.

Everything disappears. After a bit, the crew start to whisper about ghost ships and cursed voyages. The Captain announces that we are eight hours from Ragadorn, and we will have to put in there for repairs and refitting.

Privately, he takes me aside and tells that it could take longer than a week to fix everything, so I might be better off finding my own transport one we dock at Ragadorn. The men begin their tasks with an extra step, knowing that this voyage is just a few hours from being done. I am to arrive at Port Bax and then talk with Lord-lieutenant Rhygar, the Sommlending Consul, who expects me.

I only have 40 days to complete my journey and return.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #43
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Dawn breaks and a fierce, unnatural storm arrives with it. The ships is violently rocking to and fro. Within moments, the floor of my cabin is awash with water. I gather up my stuff and head out. As I do, the captain sees me and grabs my arm, telling me to turn to my cabin. As he does, lightning cracks and hit’s the mast, and tears it, with a tattered pole falling towards us.

I have to pick a number. I roll a 2.

I dive backwards but only just miss the falling timber, and I actually take one damage from the shards flying at me. However, Captain Kelman is not as quick. His body is crushed beneath the mast.

For a few moments time passes and I cannot move or react. Then the ships cracks with a sound that would awaken the dead. The already damaged hull of the Green Sceptre has been split by the storm, the crashing waves, and the tossing about.

I am hurled into the see and begin to sink due to my Chainmail Waistcoat. I shed it in order to float. Miraculously, I manage to find a floating piece of the ship in the bobbing sea - a hatch cover. It is my lifeline. I see the ship sink and no other survivors, although the storm may cover them or send them away.

I fall asleep on the hatch cover and awaken a few hours later, adrift in the sea. I can see the shore in the far horizon, and nearer is a fishing boat. It looks to be late afternoon. I can try to signal the boat, or just try to swim for shore. I decide to try and signal the boat.

I wave my cloak about hoping to be seen. I roll a die and get a 7.

It appears that the fisherman are either blind or have no intention of rescuing me. They choose not to answer my waving cloak. Without any other option, I make for the shore myself.

Within a short while, I have paddled myself near the shore, and then slip off and swim the rest of the way. Land! My fingers dig deep furrows into the sand as I again rejoice in the union of man and land. I am exhausted and quite hungry. I take stock of my possessions while laying against a sand dune. I lost my quarterstaff, everything in my backpack which was just a meal, but not the pack itself, and my Chainmail WC. I still have my gold crowns and other special items.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 11-20-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #44
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I spy some trees with a purple fruit, and I have three options. If I have Hunting I can use it to identify the fruit, I can eat them, or refuse to eat them and lose 3 EP. It’s close, but my severe hunger and exhausting win out, and I choose to eat the fruit. It is Larnuma fruit, a very tasty meal, and good for the spirit when you are shipwrecked! I pick enough for 2 meals.

I see a coast road heading east or west. I can choose my direction. I don’t know where I am, and I want to get to Ragadorn, even if it is west of here. However, since I don’t know which way to go, it makes sense to me to head east, in the direction of Durenor.

Three hours pass and exhaustion is beginning to take its toll as darkness ends the day. I have to sleep. I have been told that the Wildlands have wild dogs that hunt in the evening, so with that warning, I head into a tree’s branches for the night’s rest.

My sleep is undisturbed and soon I spy a wagon traveling down the coast road from the west to the east. I decide to flag it down. The coachman tells me it is bound for Ragadorn, and fare is three crowns inside, or one on the roof. I choose inside and pay three crowns.

It is nice and warm and I see two women and a man. The man is snoring away, and one of the women offers me a seat beside her.

We should reach Ragadorn in six hours. I am given a lot of history of Ragadorn by the woman, including information on the current ruler, a wicked man named Lachlan. During the journey I must eat a meal.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:39 PM   #45
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Eventually I arrive at Ragadorn. The coaches pulls up to the west gate, and an old sign tells me welcome. The smell is awful and I get the feeling this is a dingy city. There are three roads I can choose to walk:

Westgate Lane
East Bank Walk
Axe Lane

I need to resupply myself while here, since I have no weapons. Axe Lane sounds the best option for weapons so I take it. The people of Ragadorn appear to be a gloomy group of people. This place sucks. There is a rain that makes everything grey and wet and miserable. I reach a junction where Axe Lane ends and Black Knight Street goes north, or Sage Lane goes east, towards the east gate and out of here. I take Sage Street.

As I walk, I pass by a store selling some items. I decide to nip in and purchase:

Fur Blanket
Dagger

Total spent - 5 gold crowns

They did not have quarterstaffs for sale, so once again I am screwed with my sucky staff roll. They were selling 6 of the nine weapons, but not mine. Ick.

After pushing through this dismal street, it hits East Trade Lane, and I move along it.

I find the Ragadorn Stables and Coach Station here near the East Gate of Ragadorn. A coachman is by a sign that tells that the journey to Port Bax is 7 days. I approach him to try and buy a ticket. It is 20 gold crowns, so I pay the money and I am handed a ticket, which is a special item. I have 22 gold left. The coach is empty and the seat very comfortable. I stow my equipment and fall asleep.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #46
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

A short while later I am awake and the coach is moving and there are five other passengers. I have to roll the die. I get a 0.

After a few hours, we stop at the Shrine of Kalanane, built upon the grave of King Alin. All around it grow clumps of Laumspur. I can choose to pick some, so I do. I have picked enough for a meal, and it also will heal me 3 EP when I eat it.

As I journey, I get a chance to meet my coach-mates.

Ganon and Dorier are two brothers, and both are knights of the Order of the White Mountain, a warrior group that tries to make the Wildlands safe by killing the more dangerous monsters including bandits. They own a castle and land near Port Bax.

Halvorc is a merchant. He was recently beat up by the soldiers of Lachlan in Ragadorn and is now trying to escape after having his money and stock confiscated.

Parsion is a priest, and a Sommlending like myself who has journeyed so far on coach.

Viveka is the final person, a mercenary and adventurer. She sells her services to the highest bidder and is returning to Port Bax after a successful adventure in Ragadorn.

My cover story is that I am a simple peasant from Sommerlund. The people in the cabin appear to be ignorant of the fact that war rages now in Sommerlund.

At dusk we arrive at an inn. It is 1 gold crown for coach passengers and 3 crowns for everybody else. As we leave, I am asked to show my ticket, and do so. I pay two gold crowns, one for a meal from the inn and another for the room. 20 left.

As I am in the Wildlands, no meals by Hunting, not that I have it anyway. The Wildlands are really only inhabited by Szalls, small, weak and cowardly versions of Giaks.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #47
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Sleep goes by without drama, and two days pass. However, on the ninth day of my quest, an unfortunate event occurs and I am to roll a die to find out what. I roll a 4. As we wind through the hills of the trade route, we spy a blocked area where rocks have fallen over the route near steep cliffs. The driver goes out to clear it and I go out to help him. Within a few moments, I hear a sound of more rocks and sep out of the way just as some large boulders fall from the cliffs. The driver is killed. Flashbacks to the death of Captain Kelman haunt me for a few moments.

If I have Sixth Sense I am to go to a passage, so I go there. I sense that I was the intended victim of this attack. Someone is trying to kill me!

The six of us stare at the corpse of the coachman for a few moment before Parsion the priest says we should bury him. We nod and begin the heady task.

Afterwards, Halvorc volunteers to be the driver since he has traveled this route many times before. We all agree. The priest hopes that we are not blamed for his death. Dorier and Ganon tell him that it was an act of the gods, and since lies are never spoken by true knights, their claims are taken gratefully by Parsion.

We arrive in Gorn Cove, a small village on the route to Port Bax. Outcasts, thieves and Szalls are the main inhabitants. The villagers are suspicious at the death of the driver, but the knights and the priest assuage their fears. We stay at the only inn, the Forlorn Hope. Not an auspicious name. I pay a gold for the room.

The innkeeper of the Forlorn Hope is a thin older gentleman with one eye. I am in room #2. We agree to meet in a hour to discuss the plans for the rest of the trip.

The hour has almost passed us by when I get a knock on my door. The innkeeper arrives with a tasty smelling stew, and says it is sent to me with the complements of one of my traveling companions.

He leaves quickly and I am unable to ask which one. The food smells hot and delicious and I have not eaten a meal yet. I must eat a meal now, or lose 3 EP. If I have Hunting, I can go to a certain chapter. Otherwise, I can either eat the stew, or my own food.

I am being stalked and there was an attempt on my life suddenly, out of the blue, food arrives out of the blue? That’s crazy stupid. I eat my Larnuma fruit meal instead.

I take a small nap, and when I awaken, I see that two rats ate my stew, and have died. It was poisoned! Shock turns to anger as I know one of my traveling companions is an assassin. Time to arrive at the assembly and find my assassin!

Old 11-20-2009, 07:59 PM   #48
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

All of the others are there, including he one who would see me dead.

Here they are. I have five options, because I have decided to attack without warning in order to take out my assassin. I can choose any of the five riders. Who is the spy?

Well, I feel like I can safely eliminate the brothers. If one or both are spies, they choose an unfortunate masque, because the Knights are bound to do a lot of things, and a lot of spy-ish behavior would be seen as out of place by the Knights. Plus, there are two of them, so it’s not like one is making up their identity . Sure, it’s possible that one has been subverted or mind controlled or something, but there are better options.

Viveka is also easy to dismiss, simply because there is nothing mentioned about her at all. Perhaps the quiet is a clue as to her assassin identity, but the other two have more interesting issues.

The first hole I see is Halvarc, the Merchant. Being a merchant and claiming you lost everything that makes you a merchant is very convenient? It allows you the freedom to not have to do any merchantly things. It sounds like a made up story. Now, him knowing the way does support the idea he is the merchant, but it is knowledge that could have easily come from many other places including setting up ambushes.

The other is Parsion. Now, I only have one thing on Parsion, but it is suspicious. He claims he is Sommlending like me, and left and traveled by coach. I meet him in Ragadorn days and days after the war began in Sommerlund. How does my own countryman not know of the war? Now, if had berthed in a place for a few days rest or layover waiting for a coach then that would account for it. However, it is something.

Halvarc has a convenient story, but that’s all. Parsion has actually something against him. Therefore, I would order them in order of suspiciousness Parsion-Halvarc-Viveka- The Brothers. Who do I attack? Parsion. Kai guide my choice though.

The priest does not seem to be surprised by my attack and draws a black sword from beneath his robes. CS 16, EP 23.

I roll a 5 and dole out 9 while I take 2. A 2 follows and he takes 6 and me 3. A 9 ends it as he is daggered for 14 damage. I took 5 damage total.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #49
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I search his body and find the evidence I need. Inside his pockets is a near empty vial of gnadurn sap, the deadly poison added to my food. There is a scroll written in Giak outlining who I am and where I am going. He carries a Darklord blade, forged in the fires of Helgedad, the infernal city of the Darklands. Finally, I find a serpent tattoo on his left wrist, exactly like the harbor thugs that attacked me in Holmgard. I confiscate 23 gold crowns, giving me 42.

The other travelers stare in horror at me. Before I can explain, the front door of the Forlorn Hope crashes open and six town guard arrive, led my the innkeeper who is screaming at me. They move to attack me. I can fight them or flee. They are just town guard trying to do their job, so I decide to flee. I take the Black Sword as a backup weapon.

I burst out of the rear door. Behind the tavern is a small wheelwright‘s shop, and horses hitched to a hay-cart. I can use Camouflage, steal a horse and ride, or hide in the shop. I hate to steal and run, but I have the whole town guard looking for me, plus my former traveling companions, which include two Knights and a mercenary, may join them. I am not hanging around and hoping.

I take the horse and begin galloping down the road to the east. Soon I spy a signpost that says Port Bax is 50 miles away. We get closer. In order to put distance between Gorn Cove and myself, I ride all night. As dawn breaks, it appears that the Wildlands are beginning to fade as moors and fens replace the dry cracked Wildlands and a forest can be seen on the horizon. This is Durenor Forest, and I can again use Hunting for meals.

I must eat a meal, and I estimate that I am a day from Port Bax. I decide to lose the 3 EP because I don’t want to eat my only meal of Laumspur. I am at 27 and that will not be healed with Healing.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #50
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I arrive at a fork and can go left towards the coast or right towards the forest. I choose to stick near the coast, because it is easier to follow.

It follows a high ridge for many miles. After some time, I pass a Szall village, but they ignore me for the most part, except for some children who run near by, chant at me, and throw some stones. The road descends into a valley, and the land here had not been marked by man or Szall. A short while later, I hear cries for help beyond a copse of trees. I can leave the road to help, or keep galloping. I decide to leave the road.

I spy a group of Szalls jumping excitedly around the body of a man pierced by a strange spear and wounded, crying for help.

As I near, it appears he is a Knight of the White Mountain. The Szalls appear to be celebrating his impending death. I can try and attack the Szalls or use Healing to help. I do use my skills, but the Szalls begin to tear at my cloak and pull me away. I do not have Camouflage, so I can not tell what they are saying. Thus, I draw my dagger and move menacingly at them. They are cowards and quickly flee. Within a moment I can turn to help the man. I have two choices. Remove the spear or search his pack for items. I choose to remove the spear.

The carved spear is made of metal, yet mysteriously light. It is carved with intricate runes and magic emblems. As I remove the spear, the man gives off a great sigh, and then a powerful, mind piercing shriek tears into my soul and I lose 2 EP.

The man jumps to his feet while I am reeling. A terrible change overcomes him and he shape shifts to change color to a dark, undead, being with powerful mind-numbing eyes. This is a Helghast, one of the greatest creatures that serve the Darklords, and they are so powerful that only magical weapons can harm them. Luckily, I am holding a magical spear.

Wounded Helghast: CS 22, EP 30. Each round I lose 2 EP from his Mindblast, unless I have Mindsheld, which I do. He is immune to Mindblast.

I have a -5 ratio, and that almost killed me against the Gourgaz in the first book. It could have been a lot worse though. Let’s see what happens.

I roll a 3 and take 5, he takes 2. Not a good start. I follow with a 5 and he takes 4 and me 4. I cannot evade and must finish this battle. I roll an 8 and he takes 7 and me 2. He has lost 13 and me 11. I roll a 5 and we each take 4 again. Whew, a 0 follows and he takes 9. He has 7 EP left, and I have 9. I roll a 6 and he takes 5 and me 4. My final roll is a 9 and he dies. I have 5 EP left. He is dead. There is no way I would have survived this without Mindsheld.

I keep the Magical Spear. It counts as a Special Item, but I can use it in combat like a Spear.

I search his pack and find an evil looking dagger with a black blade and a scroll with the word Kai on it. I turn to leave and find that the Szall’s have taken my horse. Well, now I am taking their spear.