Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-19-2018, 04:40 PM   #6701
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Logan Lucky - 7/10

Nothing spectacular here, but a fun caper movie. Did not end how I expected it to (which is usually a big bonus for me), but there really wasn't anything throughout the movie to push it into the 8-10 range for me. I think a little foreshadowing of the warden and his attitude would have done a lot for the plausibility of the thing, but the lack of it didn't really take anything away either.

Big Trouble in Little China - 8/10

Continuing the John Carpenter/Kurt Russell theme, we watched Big Trouble in Little China this past weekend. Love this movie - Kurt Russell is just excellent as the hapless hero, and the kooky mysticism is just barely on this side of "too far."
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:23 PM   #6702
kingfc22
Head Coach

Baby Driver: 8/10

Plenty of action, really liked how the movie was filmed visually in combination with how well they intertwined the soundtrack.

Dunkirk: 2/10

How did this film get any hype? Story was poorly told as they tried to get cute with the different storylines occurring over different time periods. Nice idea but poor execution. What could have been a great movie based on the historical event it was built upon ended up in what was essentially a two hour nap.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:28 AM   #6703
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I might still see a handful of 2017 movies down the line, particularly The Darkest Hour, Hostiles and The Shape of Water, but as of right now, here are my top films of 2017, just from my own enjoyment of them:

Top Ten

1. It
2. Blade Runner 2049
3. Molly’s Game
4. Wonder Woman
5. Baby Driver
6. Wind River
7. War for the Planet of the Apes
8. The Disaster Artist
9. The Post
10. Star Wars: The Last Jedi

The rest (in alphabetical order)

All The Money In The World
Dunkirk
The Fate of the Furious
Get Out
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
John Wick Chapter II
Logan
Logan Lucky
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Split
Thor: Ragnarok
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

Pretty solid year for movies, IMO. I could make an argument that It (horror) and Blade Runner 2049 (scifi) are the best in their genres that I have seen in at least five years. And Wonder Woman is likely the best superhero movie from a pure quality standpoint that I have seen since The Dark Knight. Several movies outside of the Top Ten were still very strong and memorable.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 01-23-2018 at 04:29 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:32 AM   #6704
kingfc22
Head Coach

Baffled to see how many Oscar nominations Dunkirk received.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:33 AM   #6705
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post

Why? It was expected to receive that many.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:38 AM   #6706
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:

Because you didn't like doesn't mean it wasn't widely applauded. I think its a great movie, and alot of people do.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:44 AM   #6707
Johnny93g
College Starter

Biggest snubs to me....

the Disaster Artist not getting a best picture nom and a best actor nom for Franco. Also felt both Holly Hunter and Ray Romano deserved supporting actor nominations for the Big Sick, as for me, they made a average movie good.

I'm in the Ladybird and Get Out were both good, not great boat. I don't think either should have gotten as much love as they did...

I think both Mudbound, Gifted and Wind River for example were better movies, but it is what it is...
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:16 AM   #6708
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I'm with you. Pretty boring.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #6709
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Baby Driver: 8/10

Plenty of action, really liked how the movie was filmed visually in combination with how well they intertwined the soundtrack.

Dunkirk: 2/10

How did this film get any hype? Story was poorly told as they tried to get cute with the different storylines occurring over different time periods. Nice idea but poor execution. What could have been a great movie based on the historical event it was built upon ended up in what was essentially a two hour nap.

Funny, I'm exactly opposite. I loved Dun and Hated Baby, nearly for your same reasons too
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:03 PM   #6710
korme
Go Reds

I need to see Darkest Hour and I'll have rounded out the best picture nominees. I agree with CR, I think this was a strong year for sure. I'd say there is not a far and away legendary movie in here, but lots of B+/A-'s.

Last edited by korme : 01-24-2018 at 04:07 PM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:29 PM   #6711
chinaski
College Prospect

Shape of Water - 8/10. Some plot holes really bothered me, but usual Del Toro awesomeness.

3 Billboards - 9/10. Worth all the hype. Fantastic acting from everyone involved. Francis McDermond should win Best Actress no question.

Lady Bird - 8/10. Not really getting the high praise for this, pretty much a typical coming of age flic in the vein of Noah Baumbach or early Wes Anderson. Still, good stuff.

Thor: Ragnarok - 9/10. Way better than it had any right being. Taika Waititi directed his ass off on this one. Hilarious, great acting and action. Really enjoyed it.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:34 AM   #6712
Edward64
Head Coach

12 Strong - 7/10

I've seen the Horse Soldiers book at B&N and never picked it up (even when it went into the sale section). This film is based on it. It is what it is, a nice action movie with Thor.

From what I've read on-line, the film is pretty authentic to the book. However, the last battle just seemed too made up. I'll have to read the book someday.

Hyena Road - 7.5/10

About a Canadian sniper team in Afghanistan. Found it free on Amazon prime. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't have all the fancy action found in typical US war movies, was more low key and had great acting.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-28-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:43 AM   #6713
Edward64
Head Coach

Wolf Warrior 2 - 6/10

Is the highest grossing Chinese film made so since I'm a fan of martial arts and action movies, picked it up.

Acting and the shooting action wasn't quite up to expectations but I'll give credit to story line of a former Chinese soldier trying to help in Africa.

They had the bad American soldiers/mercenaries (which I've seen before), a white woman love interest (which I have not seen before), stereotype black African kid/mother (which kinda offended me on how they were portrayed TBH), and funky, supposedly high tech, consumer grade drones that were doing things that I just knew the drones couldn't do.

Not sure what to think of this movie. I was hoping but it really isn't on par with US action movies. Not something I would want to watch again anytime soon.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:42 PM   #6714
Groundhog
Coordinator

Safety Not Guaranteed - 9.5/10

I'd seen this before, but my wife hadn't. Small cast that was perfectly assembled, and some great, quirky dialogue. Has to be one of my favourite movies.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:43 PM   #6715
Edward64
Head Coach

The Mountain II - 7.5/10

Another Amazon prime war movie set in Iraq and ISIL. Its a Turkish movie! (first time for me), subtitles were a little small but that's better than bad dubbing.

About a squad of Turkish special forces that rescues a reporter (main mission) and then decides to protect a small town. Lower budget version of Bruce Willis' Tears of the Sun (great movie) but similar story line in a different continent & war.

It was surprisingly good.

Last edited by Edward64 : 01-28-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:53 AM   #6716
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Safety Not Guaranteed - 9.5/10

I'd seen this before, but my wife hadn't. Small cast that was perfectly assembled, and some great, quirky dialogue. Has to be one of my favourite movies.

I remember seeing this a while back and digging it, funny enough and an easy watch. I have a special place in my library for light comedies like this and Cedar Rapids.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:55 PM   #6717
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
12 Strong - 7/10

I've seen the Horse Soldiers book at B&N and never picked it up (even when it went into the sale section). This film is based on it. It is what it is, a nice action movie with Thor.

From what I've read on-line, the film is pretty authentic to the book. However, the last battle just seemed too made up. I'll have to read the book someday.

Rating seems about right. Too formulaic to score well, but the Afghan general was such an intriguing character that the film overall rises from the humdrum of a 5 or 6 to a 7. Solidly entertaining, but ultimately pretty forgettable. The war/history buff will probably appreciate the story of the 12 real guys, however, and that might take it higher for some.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:54 PM   #6718
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

SpiderMan: Homecoming- 8/10

Tom Holland, to me, is the best SpiderMan up to this point. They finally got the essence of what the character should be correct. Story was solid and the action scenes were great. Just wish they hadn't tied so much of it to Iron Man as it just felt forced. Still, looking forward to seeing Holland in the suit in the future.
BBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:03 PM   #6719
Suicane75
Coordinator

Victor Crowley: 5.5ish Out Of 10

The 4th installment in the Hatchet series, the first of which is maybe my favorite Horror movie of all time, is done in by what appear to budget limitations and an EXTREME overabundance of jokes.

This is probably better than the two sequels but at this point the charm is kind of gone. Everything is just too silly, and while some of the jokes really work, the volume just isn't there. The gore, like the comedy, is just too over the top and there is a distinct sense of diminishing returns. There is a very thin story to set everything up but all in all it feels too much like a thrown together, barely written hodgepodge of characters, kills and corny jokes.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:41 PM   #6720
PilotMan
Head Coach

Allied 8/10

Really well done. Marion Cotillard stole the show and Brad Pitt held up his own. I was really in tune with the characters with genuine care for them and concern for the end result. Not a waste of time at all.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:28 AM   #6721
Butter
Coordinator

If I had to rate the 9 Best Picture nominees, here is how I would probably rate them today:

1. Lady Bird
2. Phantom Thread
3. The Post
4. Get Out
5. Three Billboards
6. The Shape of Water
7. Darkest Hour
8. Call Me By Your Name
9. Dunkirk

I think earlier in this thread I told someone that nobody was saying that Lady Bird should be Best Picture.

As it turns out, a lot of people are saying that maybe it should be. It all has to do with the central relationship. If that didn't resonate with you, I could see how it seemed formulaic.

Also, thanks Moviepass for letting me see all of these movies this year (except Get Out and Dunkirk which were much earlier last year).
Old 02-02-2018, 06:33 AM   #6722
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Allied 8/10

Really well done. Marion Cotillard stole the show and Brad Pitt held up his own. I was really in tune with the characters with genuine care for them and concern for the end result. Not a waste of time at all.

Agree that it was a good movie. I was kinda upset at the ending which showed that I was engrossed in it.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:09 AM   #6723
Suicane75
Coordinator

The Cloverfield Paradox: 2/10

The more of the story they tell, the worse it gets. About the only thing I found fun about this one was the lifting of the Philadelphia Experiment story, but it's buried in such a muddled mess that it doesn't elevate it all. It was such a paint by numbers scifi/spaceship story mixed with an over the top monster story. Nothing worked for me.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:37 AM   #6724
BBT
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post

The more of the story they tell, the worse it gets. About the only thing I found fun about this one was the lifting of the Philadelphia Experiment story, but it's buried in such a muddled mess that it doesn't elevate it all. It was such a paint by numbers scifi/spaceship story mixed with an over the top monster story. Nothing worked for me.

Disappointing...reviews haven't been kind. Was really looking forward to something new from the Cloverfield universe.
BBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:24 PM   #6725
chinaski
College Prospect

Netflix really letting me down with the Sci-fi lately....

Altered Carbon: 2/10
Cloverfield Paradox: 2/10

Was really looking forward to Carbon too
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:42 PM   #6726
sabotai
General Manager

Yeah, I'm 2 episodes into Altered Carbon and I'm not feeling it.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:40 PM   #6727
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I've heard from multiple people that Altered Carbon (which I haven't tried yet) doesn't really pay off until quite a ways into it, but by the end it's quite good.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:57 PM   #6728
Groundhog
Coordinator

Brawl in Cell Block 99 - 9/10

Well, wasn't expecting that. Vince Vaughn knocks it out of the park in a way I didn't think he was capable of, and the movie basically turned into a Tarantino film the last hour. Really enjoyed this one. Not exactly high concept stuff, but grab a glass of wine and some snacks and switch off and enjoy.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:09 PM   #6729
tarcone
Coordinator

Im enjoying Altered Carbon. Its definitely a slow burn. But I like it so far.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:36 AM   #6730
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I'm really enjoying Altered Carbon. I just finished Episode 7 and had that "Holy Crap" moment at the reveal at the end of it. I tend to enjoy slow moving mood focused sci-fi noir (I really like Blade Runner). I like the moral and ethical questions that arise due to transferred consciousness. And it's just gorgeous on Dolby Vision.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:45 PM   #6731
korme
Go Reds

A GHOST STORY is on Amazon, I urge people to check it out. I originally saw it in theatres not knowing what to expect, and didn't really 'get' it until later. Now I've come back to it again, and I really love the concept.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:30 PM   #6732
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Well, wasn't expecting that. Vince Vaughn knocks it out of the park in a way I didn't think he was capable of, and the movie basically turned into a Tarantino film the last hour. Really enjoyed this one. Not exactly high concept stuff, but grab a glass of wine and some snacks and switch off and enjoy.

I enjoyed it also but not quite a 9 for me, more like a 7.

The fight scenes were unusual, they were "slowed" down (?) some, almost too mechanical but great fun. I do think Tarantino fans will enjoy the last hour!
Old 02-08-2018, 05:39 PM   #6733
Atocep
Coordinator

Loving Altered Carbon so far.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #6734
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I enjoyed it also but not quite a 9 for me, more like a 7.

The fight scenes were unusual, they were "slowed" down (?) some, almost too mechanical but great fun. I do think Tarantino fans will enjoy the last hour!

Saw it last night - I'd give it an 8.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:44 PM   #6735
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:

I thought it was great. Was basically pure anxiety to me, and held my attention the whole time.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:50 PM   #6736
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Mother!

"Intersting"

Felt it was worth watching but would very much temper my recommendation depending upon who i was talking to. Definitely found it fascinating and frustrating in equal measure.

spoiler stuff below
Spoiler
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #6737
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post

Excellent call, I never put together the connection with the Phila Experiment but that's a brilliant analogy.

No question they screened this and knew right away this movie would have been completely savaged by critics if it were to hit theaters so they cut their losses and took a profit selling it to Netflix.

Which is sad because HOLY SHIT what a cast.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #6738
korme
Go Reds

One of my favorite movie related days of the year. Going to catch all 10 of the short films nominated for an Oscar in the Animated and Live Action category in a few hours. Will report back with rankings.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #6739
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
One of my favorite movie related days of the year. Going to catch all 10 of the short films nominated for an Oscar in the Animated and Live Action category in a few hours. Will report back with rankings.

Is this a local showing or production?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #6740
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

There is an indie theater by my house that shows them every year. It's always distributed the same way with all 5 in each category shown together consecutively, so if there are any art house theaters or anything like that around you, you will be able to find them.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #6741
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

John Carpenter's The Fog - 6/10

Continuing what seems to be a weekly trend, we watched another Carpenter flick this past weekend. While the plot is full of holes and non-existent development of what seems to be a pivotal character from early in the movie lends the ending an air of complete Deus ex machina, I found that I still really enjoyed it. Carpenter does an excellent job of setting the mood with his scores, and this was no different with the very 80's synthesizers and pretty solid fog effects providing a suitably eerie feel throughout the movie. With a 90 minute run-time, I feel like with slightly more time spent on plot/character development this could be a tremendous horror movie. As-is, it's just sort of fun 80's schlock.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #6742
molson
General Manager

Quote:

It's basically it's own "movie" that gets distributed and theaters can pick it up if they want.

This weekend it was in 180 screens in the U.S. and grossed $615k, finishing 25th for the weekend. (just ahead of The Commuter and Insidious: The Last Key)

The Oscar Nominated Short Films 2018 (2018) - Box Office Mojo

Last edited by molson : 02-12-2018 at 11:24 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:30 PM   #6743
Suicane75
Coordinator

On a Fellini kick at the moment, and I don't think I really get it quite yet.

I Vitelloni: Fine enough I suppose, but as my first Fellini film, I was left very underwhelmed.

La Strada: Great movie, Giulietta Masina and Anthony Quinn are amazing.

Nights Of Cabiria: Good, much better than I Vitelloni, but not as good as La Strada, Masina is very strong again and the final few minutes are an absolute sucker punch.

La Dolce Vita is up next.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 02-12-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:45 PM   #6744
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Knife Skills, Oscar-nominated short story, documentary.

Really good - real and thought-provoking. Certainly, you're rooting for everyone in the film. 9 out of 10.

Available to watch for free here: Watch The Screening Room | Academy Award Nominee “Knife Skills” | The New Yorker Video | CNE
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:33 AM   #6745
Suicane75
Coordinator

Three Billboards: 7 Out Of 10

I really liked it, though some parts came off as too moviesh. Sudden character shifts were pretty jarring, a model British wife, black lawman shows up, etc. But everyone was stellar. I did wish a certain character stayed around longer, but what can ya do. I don't think it's a great film but it's very good.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:28 AM   #6746
samifan24
Pro Starter

The Florida Project: 4.5/5

One of the most heartbreaking and depressing films Ive ever seen, all seen from the perspective of a 6 year old child. I cant recommend it but it is an experience.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:58 AM   #6747
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

If you liked the Florida Project, that same director did another movie called Tangerine which is also very good. Seems to have a real good feel for what life is like for people on the fringe of society.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:46 PM   #6748
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
If you liked the Florida Project, that same director did another movie called Tangerine which is also very good. Seems to have a real good feel for what life is like for people on the fringe of society.

Tangerine is on Netflix, too
Old 02-25-2018, 04:44 PM   #6749
Groundhog
Coordinator

Detroit - 7/10

I'd never heard about the real life Algiers hotel incident, and so I found the ending incredibly frustrating in a "Google all the real life people and see if there was any justice" kind of way. This movie was definitely an experience... Not something I ever need to watch again, though. Poulter nailed his role as murdering racist cop, which was odd to see after having watched We're the Millers for about the 10th time a week ago.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:56 PM   #6750
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

It was great. mindless entertainment. Really a good movie. Glad you put this on here. Went out and watched it on Amazon. Just a fun movie to watch.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote