Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-11-2022, 12:54 AM   #251
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
That's crazy. Tyrone was where the poor kids who went to McIntosh lived when I was there.

By the 2000 census, the median HHI was over $71k and the poverty rate was 0.9%
Old 12-11-2022, 10:31 AM   #252
bob
College Starter

To make things worse:

Cedar Grove had a controversial play at the goal line of its own. Elliott Colson was ruled short of the end zone on a third-down run from the 2, although replays appeared to show the ball crossing the line. The Saints opted for a 27-yard field-goal attempt by Amari Forte, but the kick was blocked by Watts to preserve Sandy Creek’s 14-10 lead with 2:08 remaining in the third quarter.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 04:46 PM   #253
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And while all the other stuff went on, there was also a wild season finale for the Georgia Class 7A title. (Mill Creek would eventually beat Carrolton 70-35)

There have been 65 scoring plays of 80+ yards in @OfficialGHSA finals history dating to 1947. If you watched the Mill Creek-Carrollton game, you saw 5 of them in less than 4 minutes. (And 2 other TDs were scored in those 4 minutes.)
Old 12-12-2022, 11:26 AM   #254
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

GHSA to consider instant replay after latest controversial call in state title game
Old 12-12-2022, 11:51 AM   #255
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Gotta give that coach some credit for the quote attributed to him in that article. Of course, he's had the weekend to throw expletives around his house, so maybe he got it out of his system in private.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 01:14 PM   #256
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Since we've talked a fair bit about Georgia during the championship weekend (though sadly it was controversy that elevated the profile), I thought I'd share this. Long story short, it's the end of season (computer) rankings for every team in the state playing 11-man football (there's a tiny 8 man league not included here). That's 465 teams in all.

Maxwell 2022 season summary

A lot can be unpacked about the 2022 season, I'll just hit a few highlights

The 7A shootout between Mill Creek & Carrolton featured the 2nd & 3rd best teams in the state, 6A champion (Langston) Hughes claimed the top spot. Both of those champions are generally ranked somewhere in the 15-20 range nationally by most of the ratings that get noticed.

Perennial powers Colquitt Co and Buford rounded out the top five, six of the top 10 were in the highest 7A classification, with the 5A and 4A champs and the 6A runner up (Gainesville) rounding out the top 10. Class AAA runner-up (and victims of the questionable officiating) Cedar Grove was 11th. (remember, that's out of 465 teams)

Class AA was noticeably weakened by reclassification, Class AAA was narrow & top heavy -- the top 4 there would be top 4 in the next two higher classes -- Class A-D1 would have handled the next higher class easily enough. AAA was REALLY narrow, 4 of the top 5 and 6 of the top 9 came from one of two regions.

Some familiar names - either past or recent - with their statewide ranking and (classification ranking)

Grayson 22 (10)
Parkview 23 (11)
Prince Avenue 24 (1)
Valdosta 29 (13)
Marist 30 (9)
Cartersville 33 (2)
Lowndes Co 48 (22)
Calhoun 56 (6)
Athens Academy 148 (11)
ELCA 186 (16)
Tucker 228 (34)
Pickens 233 (27) ... my alma mater saved a bad coaching staffs job with a largely irrelevant playoff berth, thanks to a horribly weak region
McIntosh 277 (39)
Old 12-12-2022, 08:55 PM   #257
BishopMVP
Coordinator

What happened to Tucker, why have they fallen off?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 10:17 PM   #258
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
What happened to Tucker, why have they fallen off?

I'm not up to speed on any zoning, etc issues that might have cost them athletes but the most obvious answer might be "coaching", which is in & of itself a story (the key phrase being "DeKalb County", we'll talk about that in a minute)

A little background: Tucker football wasn't particularly relevant from the mid-60s until at least 1989. That's when legendary coach T. McFerrin finished up his 4th season there with their first state playoff win in 23 years.

2 coaches later they get a final four run in '94 (that coach leaves after 4 seasons too).

Next coach lasts 3 years, leaves for a Gwinnett school (Norcross) and wins 2 state titles there.

Next coach lasts three years (having come from a different DeKalb school where he won a title a decade prior).

Next coach wins 46 games in his first four seasons ('02 to '06) but can't get past the semifinals. A 7-3 season later and he's off to a Gwinnett school (Peachtree Ridge) and makes the finals in year two.

Enter Franklin Stephens. 5 seasons, 2 state titles between '07 and '11. He leaves due to financial issues with how DeKalb sports programs are run.

I said we'd get back to that subject. Stephens was pretty open about why he left Tucker. In DeKalb, all the athletic revenue goes into one pot & is distributed equally between them. Problem is that Tucker had the expenses of two extra seasons to cover compared to programs that were going 0-10, as he put is "Tucker was doing more with equal or less funding". Issue two was the lack of a home stadium, games played at a county owned stadium a half hour from the school. He applies for all the big jobs around the state, gets none of them, ends up at largely rural Lamar County for two years with a final and a final four, moves on to Ware County and then McEachern after that.

So back to the coaching. They hire south GA powerhouse Camden County's DC to take over from Stephens. He never makes it to the season, leaving over a contract dispute after being announced as the HC. They wouldn't start paying him until late July, but he needed to work in the off-season, ultimately walked away.

They hire a former Tucker assistant (who'd left to be head b'ball coach at Stockbridge for a year) Bryan Lamar after that. He gets two finals and a final four in his first six seasons but wins only 16 games and no playoff games in the next three years. He departs for, yep, a Gwinnett Co school (South Gwinnett)

Next in the barrel is maybe the worst choice they've made to date. Moved a coach from fellow DeKalb program Northview into the job. He only won 15 games in 4 years there, went 2-9 in his only season at Tucker, gone.

The latest head coach is a 30 year veteran of North Carolina (13 as sub-500 HC), who was a football assistant and head track coach for Tucker more recently. His first year is 4-7 but actually wasn't particularly better than the previous squad, just some opponents got even worse.

And that is far more than you ever wanted to know about how things got off the rails.
Old 12-13-2022, 06:04 PM   #259
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Ha no, that was perfect. If I'm reading it right I think Mecklenburg County (a.k.a. Charlotte) has a similar issue where South Carolina schools can pay more $$$ and individual school districts have more leeway to fund and support certain teams if they want to be good. Because with the enormous enrollment sizes and extremely lax ability to enforce any recruiting allegations within the district there's no reason the best Charlotte school shouldn't be in the top 100 like guys had at Independence and Zebulon T. Vance (now Chambers - I suppose having a 95% black school named after a confederate general was a little odd) before they left to take over Dutch Fork and another Columbia school that was willing to pay. The fact that Hough had 3 losses this year with all their talent and couldn't even beat a 1700 person school from the East for the state title was kind of embarrassing given all their talent. https://www.charlotteobserver.com/op...231110973.html

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-13-2022 at 06:05 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 06:43 PM   #260
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
The fact that Hough had 3 losses this year with all their talent and couldn't even beat a 1700 person school from the East for the state title was kind of embarrassing given all their talent. https://www.charlotteobserver.com/op...231110973.html

Something worth noting about that Charlotte editorial and that magic $100,000 salary figure they mentioned

In DeKalb County Schools, you know how many people make $100,000 or more per year?

In 2021, that number was ... 441. Going down to $95,800 you get 600 employees. Best I can figure, Bryan Lamar makes $93,114. (the database isn't precise with names, but I believe Marion B Lamar is him)

In DeKalb's case, the issue is more about program money than about salaries but paying HCs who also teach (as is the case with most coaches in Georgia) in the 50s in a major metro like Charlotte is pretty absurd. No wonder they can't keep anybody.
Old 02-14-2023, 06:55 PM   #261
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Addendum to the Sandy Creek discussion, as the HC announces his departure from the job there. (likely that he'll go into semi-retirement & take a HC job in Myrtle Beach based on the comments in the article)

400 Bad Request
Old 03-04-2023, 03:28 AM   #262
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just a little addendum to the Sandy Creek-Cedar Grove rivalry. The two teams will meet next week for the Class AAA boys basketball title.
Old 08-23-2023, 08:55 AM   #263
miami_fan
Coordinator

What a start to the HS football season in FL.

Land O’ Lakes’ football program suspended after player altercation

Viera High School hazing video: Football activities still on hold

Incident at Rickards-Leon football game causes panic, cancels game
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 09:10 AM   #264
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Had one locally moved to Sat morning after years of violence concerns. And for the 2nd year in a row Benedictine vs Jenkins ended in the 3rd quarter after "multiple incidents" in the stands, this year allegedly provoked by some TikTok challenge. (Benedcitine is the home of future FSU QB Luke Kromenhoek)
Old 08-23-2023, 09:08 PM   #265
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Well that was quick. Booster influence is not just for the colleges folks!

Land O' Lakes football program reinstated after player altercation

If it has not been obvious, I have a particular interest in this story. This is my local high school and the one my son goes to. I could go through all they stuff I have heard and seen today but yeah small town politics and influence at its best.

The letter to the parents is hilarious and insulting at the same time. I did not see the video but none of the kids who watched it on Tik Tok Monday night through late Tuesday morning before all the streams were shut down classified what they saw as slap boxing. It was no different than other fights that have been recorded in the hallways of the school or at the donut shop across the street. It was a fight, not a slap boxing match. In fact, one of the kids involved in the fight went to school administration to tell them what happened yesterday morning. That is what kicked everything off that ended in suspending the program. No one thought it was hazing. It probably looked like hazing because according to the kids, one of the "willing participants" could not fight and got his ass kicked. Finally, no one questioned the positive culture around the program. No one commented on the culture at all. No coaches were seen or heard in the video so why the author brought them up and put them "nearby" is a wonder. No one said anything one way or the other about the program. Everyone is saying the same thing now they said before the program was reinstated and what people over 40 all over the country/world would be saying when yelling about the youth of today.

1. Why the hell is everyone standing around in your team gear obviously in your team locker room watching one kid beat the hell out of another kid and egging it on?

and, let's be frank, more importantly...

2. WHY TF ARE YOU DUMMIES RECORDING IT AND PUTTING IT ON THE INTERNET?!?!?!?!

The one unifying thing about the whole incident. An anonymous parent told one of the reporters camped outside the school this morning the school should kick the "thugs" off the team and the "good kids" should be allowed to play. While I am not clear if the parent was talking about the fighters or the kids who were recording as thugs, I must say I was pleasantly surprised at the number and the diversity of the people on the local Facebook who took offense at the idea of someone describing their kids as the former or at the very least not specifically describing their kids as the latter. That's progress.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 08-23-2023, 09:23 PM   #266
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
1. Why the hell is everyone standing around in your team gear obviously in your team locker room watching one kid beat the hell out of another kid and egging it on?

Umm, cause they didn't want none? Or maybe more simply, they like the beater more than the beatee? Not being overly flip with ya, those just seem like the two most obvious reasons

Quote:
2. WHY TF ARE YOU DUMMIES RECORDING IT AND PUTTING IT ON THE INTERNET?!?!?!?!

I'm reminded of what Will's old headmaster used to say every year at the intro meeting. The frontal lobe of the brain, especially the males, doesn't fully develop until around 25 years of age. (he always thumped his forehead with the palm of his hand for emphasis ... a gesture that you'd see throughout the year from students, admins, and faculty alike when somebody was about to do something stupid) That kinda covers this I think, we see it allllll the time.

As for the rest, I'd be far more excited if people of every race, creed, and side of the aisle came together to support putting the thugs (defined here simply as "those who engage in thuggish behavior") in the road frankly.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-23-2023 at 09:25 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 06:56 PM   #267
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Mays lay coach arrested during game, accused of striking football player

You may be able to read the article, you may not (pay wall). Basics, a lay coach has been arrested today, charged with punching one of his own players during a televised game.

Twitter has video and, yeah, to me this looks like he threw an intentional short right body shot. Crazy times.

https://twitter.com/tedtaylor1/statu...96219370398030
Old 08-26-2023, 07:30 PM   #268
Thomkal
Head Coach

Tis the season I guess:

Fight, gunshots end Georgetown football game at halftime | News | postandcourier.com
Old 08-29-2023, 07:22 AM   #269
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Interesting goings on in South Carolina as seemingly an entire region is going to forfeit against a charter school over perceived competitive imbalance. The school has gotten a reputation for recruiting based on athletics and is dominating their size level. There are 15 charter schools and 4 private schools in the public school league and they all pretty much dominate the smaller classifications.

https://amp.thestate.com/sports/high...278683894.html
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 07:31 AM   #270
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Man. When I went to high school, we tended to lose slightly more than half our games, but they were all pretty close. We all went on Friday night, and it was a great place to meet your friends and have fun before you went out and did something else. It was easy.

Now with shootings and fights and ringer charter schools it seems (like everything else these days) to have gotten more complicated and less fun.

How the hell have we managed to mess up high school football? That one was a gimmee.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 03:00 PM   #271
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Interesting goings on in South Carolina as seemingly an entire region is going to forfeit against a charter school over perceived competitive imbalance. The school has gotten a reputation for recruiting based on athletics and is dominating their size level. There are 15 charter schools and 4 private schools in the public school league and they all pretty much dominate the smaller classifications.

https://amp.thestate.com/sports/high...278683894.html

If it's as dominant as is being suggested, I doubt they have to recruit. People are drawn to success.

The article really gives the vibe of SC just having some of the same gutless cowards that Georgia has been plagued with in recent years.
Old 08-29-2023, 03:22 PM   #272
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Eh, they won their first game 62-60 against a team a level above them, so at best they're probably 1 division too low. Meanwhile, the 4 private schools won by a combined 200 points on Friday.

I get it from both sides. Those private schools use to play other private school and murdered them every year. Heck, in the lesser sports it's A-AAA in the same division and they still dominate. There's only so much you can do when a school can pull kids from 200-500k sized cities versus schools in cities with 2k people.
Old 08-29-2023, 03:34 PM   #273
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Eh, they won their first game 62-60 against a team a level above them, so at best they're probably 1 division too low. Meanwhile, the 4 private schools won by a combined 200 points on Friday.

I get it from both sides. Those private schools use to play other private school and murdered them every year. Heck, in the lesser sports it's A-AAA in the same division and they still dominate. There's only so much you can do when a school can pull kids from 200-500k sized cities versus schools in cities with 2k people.

I've spent countless -- north of a hundred easily -- hours diving into results between public and private in Georgia, going back a couple of decades at least. What turned up was a handful of successful private who beat most teams they faced within a classification ... and a majority of privates that were cannon fodder for most teams they faced, regardless of classification.

Only the successful ones get bitched about, the same whining cowards were happy to play the ones they could beat (and did so, routinely, as NON-region games meaning the public/private was voluntary on the weepers part)

And with a couple of exceptions, the success could be attributed to programs that simply worked harder, smarter, and parents who made an investment. Nobody was cheating ... unless you count getting outhustled in every respect "cheating".

A conversation with a veteran public school ass't coach (lower income, rural) I had was very telling. We talked about "culture" and how I watched one be built in a program that really didn't have an identifiable one before.

I mentioned how the weight room being filled at 5a every day makes a difference (voluntary program, includes football players to volleyball players) and he said there's the thing: you have kids that will show up for a voluntary workout, we don't have kids that will show up to practice consistently.

The issue more often than not isn't with the successful programs and players.
Old 08-29-2023, 03:47 PM   #274
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Meanwhile my towns state championship team....

Wall football players admit to hazing charges, have sexual contact charges dropped - nj.com
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 06:21 PM   #275
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
There was a Texas high school game last night where a QB threw for 719 yards, and his team lost 82-80. This was 11 on 11. Crazy score and offensive stats from this game.

Liberty Hill outlasts Hutto 82-80 — in high school football, not basketball
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 10:59 PM   #276
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Complex

This is insane.

I watched BS High, the documentary about Bishop Sycamore on HBO.

Everything seemed very familiar. I don't think most of us who have been around youth sports know anyone who would go to such extremes as Roy Johnson did. But I think we we all know or know of a Roy Johnson.
Old 09-09-2023, 04:28 PM   #277
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Heard where a DeKalb County (i.e. south Atlanta) game was postponed til tonight after the refs failed to show up for Dunwoody-Druid Hills. Seems like we get 1-2 of those every year, usually around Atlanta.

Does that happen everywhere?
Old 09-09-2023, 04:34 PM   #278
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Heard where a DeKalb County (i.e. south Atlanta) game was postponed til tonight after the refs failed to show up for Dunwoody-Druid Hills. Seems like we get 1-2 of those every year, usually around Atlanta.

Does that happen everywhere?
Who is in charge of that? The GHSA or do the schools have to line the Ref's up?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 04:34 PM   #279
GrantDawg

Quote:
I watched BS High, the documentary about Bishop Sycamore on HBO.

Everything seemed very familiar. I don't think most of us who have been around youth sports know anyone who would go to such extremes as Roy Johnson did. But I think we we all know or know of a Roy Johnson.
My wife's uncle is Roy Johnson, but he isn't like that at all.
Old 09-09-2023, 04:40 PM   #280
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Who is in charge of that? The GHSA or do the schools have to line the Ref's up?

To my knowledge the scheduling is done at the "area" level, between schools and various (regional/geographic) officials associations.

The GHSA sets the fees in stone for all games however (prevents outbidding by schools, prevents games being held hostage by refs, etc)
Old 09-17-2023, 04:13 PM   #281
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Another week, another game cancelled midway through in Savannah.

This time an on-field fight between players from Savannah & Cross Creek ended up with one player & a Savannah assistant coach taken to the hospital to be checked out. The coach apparently got hit by a swung helmet (though it's unclear to me at this point whether it was an opposing player or one of his own that swung it ... Friday night I saw it attributed both ways, nothing since)

But a bit of context that might make this one a little more understandable.

It was 28-0 Cross Creek when the fight broke out. Cross Creek is a perennial cellar dweller from Augusta. Their 2 wins this season (2-1 so far) match their win total of the past three seasons combined.

Savannah High meanwhile has now lost 20 straight spanning 3 seasons. This was scheduled as their best chance for a win -- basically EVERYBODY beats Cross Creek, other than Savannah last year ... and that went sideways in a hurry.
Old 09-17-2023, 04:32 PM   #282
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Just an update in South Carolina. Gray Collegiate won their region without having to play a game as their entire region forfeited games against them. They're now a travel team, getting games in various states until the playoffs start.
Old 09-22-2023, 06:37 PM   #283
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And a little update on the Cross Creek - Savannah brawl.

The GHSA declared both of this week's scheduled games involving the two teams to be forfeits. While neither was likely to have enough players to field a team due to mandatory suspensions for ejections, fight involvement, etc the GHSA noted that these were ordered to be forfeited, not simply forfeits due to lack of available players. It's an extremely rare step that has never been quite so forcefully and visibly taken in anybody's recollection.

They even helped broker a solution for their upcoming opponents who abruptly lost games. Hart Co was supposed to play Cross Creek for their homecoming game, obviously not much chance to reschedule another opponent ... so the GHSA helped coordinate them facing Bulloch Academy (a GISA school) that lost their scheduled game against Savannah. It will be a glorified exhibition as it will not count in the standings for either, but at least Hart gets to celebrate homecoming.
Old 09-27-2023, 10:57 AM   #284
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ohio high school coach resigns after team's 'Nazi' playcall - ESPN

I ... he ... this just ...

Yeah, I got nothing.
Old 09-27-2023, 11:15 AM   #285
GrantDawg

Quote:
Ohio high school coach resigns after team's 'Nazi' playcall - ESPN

I ... he ... this just ...

Yeah, I got nothing.
That's just terrible. The level of both hateful and dumb you have to be....
Old 09-27-2023, 04:01 PM   #286
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
That's just terrible. The level of both hateful and dumb you have to be....

I know it was being scrubbed from the internet yesterday so I'm not sure if it's still to be found but it was just one year ago when the HC got some award or another and the district praised him as a role model.
Old 09-27-2023, 04:37 PM   #287
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I know it was being scrubbed from the internet yesterday so I'm not sure if it's still to be found but it was just one year ago when the HC got some award or another and the district praised him as a role model.

Brooklyn football coach resigns after players, coaches yell out ‘Nazi’ during game against Beachwood - cleveland.com

Quote:
McFarland was praised last year by the district for being an excellent coach and role model. He was recognized as a program honoree at the annual Ohio High School Football Coaches Association Clinic in February.
Old 10-02-2023, 01:06 PM   #288
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Ah yes, the GHSA raises the idiocy bar once again.

As of next season, all private schools _below Class 4A_ will be
a) assigned to regions with geographic publics
BUT
b) have Class A, AA, and AA all separated into one combined playoff bracket of private only

The same region/different playoffs is the absurdity.
The tragedy is that this is all born of nothing more than a combination of cowardice and jealosy.
Old 11-04-2023, 12:16 AM   #289
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I really figured, at this point in my life, I'd seen just about everything possible at a high school football game.

I was wrong.

Until someone shared this tonight (from a place about 45 mins from where I grew up) I'd never ever seen or heard of a sponsor for ... personal fouls.

https://twitter.com/NwGaFootball/sta...67359273173344
Old 11-04-2023, 07:42 AM   #290
miami_fan
Coordinator

Spare the rod...
Old 11-08-2023, 05:44 PM   #291
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Athens Christian (0-10, playoff bid only by virtue of being in a 4-team region) has forfeited the opening round game scheduled against crosstown "rival" Prince Avenue (9-1, defending state champ)

The line on the game was Prince -63, and that was only due to the system taking into account the limitations imposed by a running clock. The actual Maxwell rating (i.e. computer) difference suggested a margin of more than 100 points was likely otherwise.

But there's an additional juicy twist to this situation that was pointed out this afternoon
Prince Avenue's Aaron Philo is 1,445 yards behind Trevor Lawrence for state career passing record. Athens Christian's forfeit (not judging, just stating) will cost Aaron a game in that pursuit. Needed to average 289.2 yards over 5 games. Now needs to average 361.3 over 4 games.

Considering the amount of stat padding that's been done over his career -- commonplace to still be throwing up 50-60 points in the 3rd quarter and even 4th quarter with a running clock already in effect -- that'd be absolute gold if it's the difference.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-08-2023 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-15-2023, 03:47 PM   #292
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Just an update in South Carolina. Gray Collegiate won their region without having to play a game as their entire region forfeited games against them. They're now a travel team, getting games in various states until the playoffs start.

One more update on this. Small town politicking wins again in the South. A new rule for next year says that if a student lives outside your schools "zone" they count as 3 people. So this will bump the charter schools and larger christian schools up a couple of levels close to 5a.

Be interesting to see what it does to my daughters Catholic school. now they're 1a but it might bump them to 3a depending on how they define a schools "zone." Right now they generally make the playoffs in everything but only win a few state titles a year. They're probably a good 2a/average 3a level for most sports, but if they go higher they'll get slaughtered in most sports.

South Carolina: High School League approves new rule
Old 11-15-2023, 05:13 PM   #293
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
One more update on this. Small town politicking wins again in the South. A new rule for next year says that if a student lives outside your schools "zone" they count as 3 people. So this will bump the charter schools and larger christian schools up a couple of levels close to 5a.

Be interesting to see what it does to my daughters Catholic school. now they're 1a but it might bump them to 3a depending on how they define a schools "zone." Right now they generally make the playoffs in everything but only win a few state titles a year. They're probably a good 2a/average 3a level for most sports, but if they go higher they'll get slaughtered in most sports.

Ah yes, the infamous "multiplier".

Let me go ahead and give you a preview of what comes next: it won't be enough to satisfy the whiners.

Over the past decade or so Georgia has gone with:
-- 1.5 multiplier for any school that accepts "out-of-zone students"
-- 3.0 multiplier for same
-- 3.0 multiplier but only for students who are out of zone based on school's physical location
-- 3.0 multiplier but the school gets to declare their "zone" based on their actual geographic enrollment *
-- 3.0 multiplier but only for out of zone students who did not attend the school by fifth grade

During that same span we've also had
-- public/private same regions, same playoffs
-- public/private same regions, wholly separate playoffs
-- back pub/pvt same regions same playoffs
-- next year is pub/pvt same regions, wholly separate playoffs BUT 3 classes worth of private combined into a single championship bracket, AND the smallest classification (where over 1/3rd of the privates belong by actual size) is now off-limits to them

The upshot of it is that the privates generally -- sometimes voluntarily moving up -- eventually found that 2-3 classifications above their actual size was about the max to continue their success in football. Basketball was a mixed bag, country club sports haven't entirely found their ceiling yet

Privates offered, lobbied for, a promotion/relegation system by sport for all schools and all classifications. I believe that vote failed something like 19-2 in front of the governing executive committee. Nobody wants fair, nobody wants equitable, they all simply want to be the largest school in the least competitive classification they could possibly land in.

Oh, and the privates weren't the only thing. City, rather than county, school systems (which are only a handful, only existing where they were grandfathered in as the state no longer allows any to be created) are actually the other targeted group. They too continue to succeed at punching well above their weight.

Funny thing is how many of the biggest jumps in classification based on multipliers applied to out of zone students bit programs that are traditionally irrelevant to downright awful in everything. So the governing body just approves their whining requests to play down, ignoring the existence of the multiplier because ... reasons? But those appeals are only approved for publics, never for privates, also cause .. reasons.

Gutless chickenshits with no ambition, no desire to improve, no ability to cope with reality run most of the school systems in the 159 counties here, and there isn't a pit in hell hot enough nor deep enough for the vast majority of them afaic.

*i.e. Athens Academy is physically in the Oconee HS zone but has more students from the North Oconee HS zone, so they can pick North Oconee territory as their 'home zone"

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-15-2023 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-15-2023, 05:14 PM   #294
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:

That's a lot. If I remember correctly, Illinois had a 1.5 multiplier and I thought that was really high at the time.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 08:17 PM   #295
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Dropped my daughter off at a game tonight. Her school is playing their rivals in the playoffs with a spot in the state finals on the line.

In the car I told her to text me at the end of the third to come get her, unless she wants to leave early because they're getting beat like 45-6 or something like that.

I just looked online and the game is currently 45-6 in the middle of the third quarter. No text yet tho.