Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-05-2023, 01:45 PM   #351
miami_fan
Coordinator

I would talk about the Heat more but I honestly have no idea how this team keeps winning games in the playoffs. Everything they do is just so random that I can't say what they can count on from game to game. It is fun for me to watch though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
So Brad Stevens says Mazzula stays and the article notes that 3 assts are believed bound for Houston to rejoin the previous coach.

So the staff revamp takes care of itself ... but I wonder what the odds of him making it to the end of next season are.

I hope Mazzulla is as much of a Brad Stevens guy as they say he is. The Celtics have already hired the next head coach if he is not. These are the hazards of being so young in your coaching career.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:42 PM   #352
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
henever we say get a better coach, nobody says how we are going to get Spo, Pop, Kerr, Malone, and maybe two other current coaches to run all thirty teams.

I don't think you get one of the top handful of coaches. The question is whether Mazzula is a second-tier coach, or whether there is someone with more experience would be better. I.e., it's not Spo or Pop or Kerr or whoever, but if your replace Mazzula with a Vogel/Nurse/Thibodeau/etc. Point is not how good those specific coaches are, but more the idea of whoever the franchise identifies as solid, acquireable, but not so elite they are staying where they are no matter what alternatives. I think there's room to grow by replacing Mazzula; if you keep him, you're making the other call.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 10:21 AM   #353
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Might as well put this here.

Conor McGregor booed off court after knocking out Miami Heat mascot

So this was presumably pre-arranged. I'm saying that because no staff in their right mind would drag someone suspected of injury by their feet.

Anyways what marketing team thought that it would be great to punch out a team mascot on their own team's floor?
Old 06-10-2023, 01:04 PM   #354
molson
General Manager

Being a heel is kind of his gimmick.

But it's strange that someone who's made $600 million in his career pitches gas station pain relief spray.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 04:47 PM   #355
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So maybe it wasn't staged...

Heat Mascot Sent to ER After Conor McGregor Punched Him During Game 4 Skit, per Report
Old 06-12-2023, 09:44 PM   #356
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't know what the hell I've been watching for the past 10 minutes. What a bunch of garbage.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 10:02 PM   #357
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Jokic went and shook ever Heat players hand before celebrating.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 10:03 PM   #358
miami_fan
Coordinator

Ah well. Congrats to Denver. The Heat just couldn't do anything with the MVP all series.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 06-12-2023, 10:06 PM   #359
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Jokic went and shook ever Heat players hand before celebrating.

He may not celebrate until he makes it back to Serbia. He is a definite case study to see how much we all like the guy who acts like he has been there before.

Last edited by miami_fan : 06-12-2023 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-12-2023, 10:13 PM   #360
miami_fan
Coordinator

Which new champion will bother Chris Paul the most? Reggie Jackson or DeAndre Jordan?
Old 06-12-2023, 11:22 PM   #361
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I don't think you get one of the top handful of coaches. The question is whether Mazzula is a second-tier coach, or whether there is someone with more experience would be better. I.e., it's not Spo or Pop or Kerr or whoever, but if your replace Mazzula with a Vogel/Nurse/Thibodeau/etc. Point is not how good those specific coaches are, but more the idea of whoever the franchise identifies as solid, acquireable, but not so elite they are staying where they are no matter what alternatives. I think there's room to grow by replacing Mazzula; if you keep him, you're making the other call.

They hired the top two available assistant coaches so that will likely help Mazzula next season.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 02:24 PM   #362
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I've been watching highlights of old NBA games for some reason the last few days. I was reminded, and it relates to conversations that come up from time to time around here, why I'm not a big fan of the modern version of the game. It's not primarily the style of play but the way the game was officiated. I know star players have always gotten away with a lot, but for example one of the games I ran into involved Olajuwon being called for traveling multiple times, and this is not early in his career, this is shortly after Houston won their titles. I miss there being reasonable boundaries on what even the best offensive players could do. I miss the defense having a chance to compete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
He is a definite case study to see how much we all like the guy who acts like he has been there before.

I'm sold. When Jokic first got on my radar I was skeptical, but his game sold me over time and his attitude is fantastic IMO. I'm on the bandwagon and don't plan on leaving it anytime soon.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-13-2023 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-13-2023, 02:32 PM   #363
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'm not a huge NBA fan, but I did start paying attention after college b-ball ended. I was rooting for Miami because former Hoosiers Victor Oladipo and Cody Zeller are both on the roster. The Heat were a fun, scrappy team to watch, but they were overmatched against Denver. Congrats to the Nuggets. Jokic is a beast, and seems likable.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 02:41 PM   #364
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I always like when teams/fanbases and players that have never won before get their first.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 12:47 AM   #365
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I’m happy Denver win but they probably should have won before. They’ve underperformed several times
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 02:49 PM   #366
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

So I guess Adam Silver is delaying the Ja Morant suspension until NBA reddit is back open.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 05:10 PM   #367
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

So this wasn't the most dangerous part of his night.

Conor McGregor accused of sexually assaulting woman at NBA Finals game - ESPN
Old 06-15-2023, 08:01 PM   #368
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
So I guess Adam Silver is delaying the Ja Morant suspension until NBA reddit is back open.

My guess is he is constantly shaking his head that he has to go light on Ja because the reported excuses is plausible enough to make a heavy suspension (42+ games) indefensible.
Old 06-15-2023, 08:03 PM   #369
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

I hadn't paid much attention to the video until after this series was over. He was definitely under the influence of something when he was part of that skit.
Old 06-16-2023, 10:01 AM   #370
stevew
Hall Of Famer

25 for Ja
Old 06-16-2023, 10:13 AM   #371
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

That's basically load management these days.
Old 06-16-2023, 11:24 AM   #372
Ksyrup

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-16-2023, 11:41 AM   #373
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

What is the deal with the Ja thing? Was he in an open carry state? Did he need a permit for the gun?

If he didn't break a law I don't see why he should be suspended.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 11:48 AM   #374
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, I still don't understand it, either. Unless he violated some sort of personal conduct contract or something.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 11:50 AM   #375
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I feel like they couldn't definitively prove Ja and/or his people pointed a loaded gun at the Pacers bus, but were close enough that they felt comfortable with a mild suspension.
Old 06-16-2023, 02:06 PM   #376
Ksyrup

This could also relate to any agreements he made with the league to resolve the first gun incident. Even if not illegal, he agreed he would stop doing certain things and then did it again.
Old 06-16-2023, 02:46 PM   #377
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

It's about image, not about doing something illegal. Just like how advertisers get pulled from various talk shows and sometimes the host gets fired if they say something that impacts negatively on PR/profitability.

Edit: It's been termed 'conduct detrimental to the league'.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-16-2023 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-16-2023, 07:31 PM   #378
RainMaker
General Manager

The NBA should have suspended him indefinitely after the Pacers incident. Like at least a year suspension, maybe lifetime ban. I think they botched it when they downplayed the incident to protect their image and the image of one of their stars.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 07:41 AM   #379
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
What is the deal with the Ja thing? Was he in an open carry state? Did he need a permit for the gun?

If he didn't break a law I don't see why he should be suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Yeah, I still don't understand it, either. Unless he violated some sort of personal conduct contract or something.

If I believed that he was suspended 25 games for openly carrying a gun, I would be all in with the fight both of you are posing here. I don’t believe that was the case.

I believe Ja was suspended for:

1. The allegations that someone in a car Ja was in pointed a gun at the Indiana Pacers team bus because of an on court scuffle that night.

2. The incident with Shannon Sharpe where Jan’s best friend was threatening to fight Sharpe on the court. The best friend is now banned from NBA arenas.

3. The allegations that after receiving a call from his mother, Ja and as many as nine of his friends went to a sneaker store to confront one of the employees. Allegedly, he said while holding a gun, he was going to find out when the employee’s shift was over.

4. The allegations that he invited a 17 year old to his house to play ball. During the game Ja checked the ball hard at the teen, who checked the ball right back at Ja. The ball went through Ja’s hands and hit him in the mouth. Ja looks at his friends, says “Should I do it to him?”, and then allegedly proceeds to punch the kid in the mouth, which was followed with his other friends punching the kid as well. Ja then went inside and came back with a gun in his waist.

5. The two Instagram videos.

6. This last one is speculation on my part but it is informed. I have seen and read way too many interviews of people known to be involved in gangs asking and sometimes begging Ja to cut the fake gangster stuff and just play basketball. They don’t want him to be involved in that shit. They don’t want to have to involve Ja in the gang stuff but will if he keeps going down this path he is going. If I have seen and read this, who knows all the stuff the NBA found in their investigation.
Old 06-17-2023, 09:24 AM   #380
molson
General Manager

And I'm in sure in the midst of all that there was communications from the team and the league about things he needed to do and not too before he spiraled out of control more. Repeat offenders are going to have less leeway. He was basically on probation already.

People insisting this is only about carrying a gun seem to be trying to make a cynical political statement or something, "Hey, he's just carrying a gun, in America that means he should get a promotion!"

Last edited by molson : 06-17-2023 at 09:27 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 12:38 PM   #381
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

OK, that clear up a lot, miami_fan, thanks for laying it out like that.
Old 06-18-2023, 04:41 PM   #382
miami_fan
Coordinator

The Suns appear to be the ones who will get Bradley Beal in a trade. They also don't seem to have any plan to play any defense when they get Beal. These two pieces from Woj's article about the potential trade are staggering.

Quote:
Beal will join Booker, Durant and Deandre Ayton -- four max contracts together with a looming collective bargaining agreement designed to severely limit the roster flexibility of teams above the second apron of luxury tax at $117 million.

The arrival of Beal and the $207 million left on his contract projects the Suns to be a second-apron team for at least the next three years, which will leave them largely reliant on minimum contracts to fill out the roster.

Quote:
Owner Mat Ishbia has made a massive commitment to salary and luxury tax on the Beal and Durant deals to pursue a title in the coming seasons. The Suns will have $163 million in salary committed to Booker, Durant, Beal and Ayton for the 2023-2024 season.

The projected salary cap for the 23-24 season is $134 million.
Old 06-18-2023, 08:30 PM   #383
stevew
Hall Of Famer

New owners are the best.
Old 06-18-2023, 08:36 PM   #384
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wanna see Dame to Miami for Herro and picks or something like Melo Ball to Portland for #3.

Orlando getting both Thompson(Amen and Ausur) twins at 6/11 would be fun. Although unlikely
Old 06-18-2023, 09:15 PM   #385
Atocep
Coordinator

The talent KD has surrounded himself with over his career is crazy: Westbrook, Harden, Curry, Draymond, Klay, Kyrie, Booker, and now Beal.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 10:50 AM   #386
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Was Chris Paul ever fun to watch? All I remember is the master of cheap shots and bs foul drawing plays of the last 7 or so years. He’s largely been in irrelevant basketball hell for much of his career. All I know is that I try not to watch his team play at this point.
Old 06-19-2023, 03:30 PM   #387
miami_fan
Coordinator

Chris Paul with the Hornets was an incredibly fun player to watch. The early years with the Clips were also fun. You may be right about the last 7 years though I really enjoyed the year he spent with the Thunder. The injuries have taken their toll so he is really relying on old man skills at this point.
Old 06-19-2023, 07:45 PM   #388
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Kind of a strange thought occurred to me the other day; when does Pop actually retire at this point? Earlier in his career, he said he'd be following Tim Duncan out the door, but at that point he'd promised Parker and Manu he'd stick around. Then they left, had the whole drama with Kawhi, but he kept going. I got the sense he just wasn't ready to go enjoy his wine. Now with Wembanyama coming there, and from what I hear the Spurs are fairly high on some of their young players, if he's not a bust for injury or other reasons they'll be at least above-average before long. I have to think it would take a lot for him to walk away from a regular playoff team, even if he realizes the game has passed him by (assuming that hasn't happened already).

It just feels to me like the natural retirement point for him has come and gone.
Old 06-19-2023, 09:01 PM   #389
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

What a world. 8.5 PPG (not to mention a sucker punch that destroyed team togetherness for a whole bunch of the season) feeling like taking 28 million a year is a bad thing for HIM.
Old 06-20-2023, 09:47 PM   #390
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I have to think his agent has told him he can get more elsewhere. I'll laugh if he ends up in Phoenix.
Old 06-20-2023, 09:51 PM   #391
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

As was explained to me, he probably won't get 28 million a year from Golden State, but he'll get more money (maybe 3/80?) which is even more ridiculous if you ask me... but since they can't easily replace him, it's viewed as "Hell, it's only money".
Old 06-21-2023, 12:19 AM   #392
rjolley
College Starter

Green probably opted out to help the team build the supporting cast for another run. They're going to lose DiVencenzo. They have a couple of young players that have contracts situations coming up. And they may move Poole.

As to what Green is worth, for the Warriors, he's worth a lot. He's been a key piece of what they're able to do and still is. He isn't worth as much on most other teams. He's not the kind of player that you plug in and he's good to go. He needs to be around the team for a bit to know how he fits and for others to get used to him.

If the Warriors can get him for 3/$70M, that would be good for them to finish out Curry and Thompson's final shots at a title.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 11:30 AM   #393
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
As was explained to me, he probably won't get 28 million a year from Golden State, but he'll get more money (maybe 3/80?) which is even more ridiculous if you ask me... but since they can't easily replace him, it's viewed as "Hell, it's only money".

If they sign him, the Warriors are betting that they are getting everything that comes with Draymond plus Steph's good graces and happiness as well. I don't think that Steph will become a cancer whether they keep Draymond or not. But Steph, like most older superstars, does not strike me as a guy who wants to only be surrounded by children. I feel like he wants to keep Draymond and/or Klay around for his entire career.
Old 06-21-2023, 03:35 PM   #394
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Holy shit. The Celtics may have actually found a trade that makes them even better.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/st...91527271866381

Sources: Wizards, Celtics and Clippers are in strong talks on a trade that would send Kristaps Porzingis to Boston, Marcus Morris and draft compensation to Washington and Malcolm Brogdon to Los Angeles. Sides are still working through details and Porzingis’ $36M player option.
Old 06-22-2023, 05:11 AM   #395
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Gotta be an unreal feeling to wake up free of Marcus Smart on your favorite team.
Old 06-22-2023, 09:50 AM   #396
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Holy shit. The Celtics may have actually found a trade that makes them even better.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/st...91527271866381

Sources: Wizards, Celtics and Clippers are in strong talks on a trade that would send Kristaps Porzingis to Boston, Marcus Morris and draft compensation to Washington and Malcolm Brogdon to Los Angeles. Sides are still working through details and Porzingis’ $36M player option.

Sorry not feeling it. They just got a lot softer and they already were soft. This also likely means Grant Williams is gone which makes this even more true. I get they need to shake things up but I am concerned we are stuck with Brogdon as our point guard backed up by ...............Payton Prichard. Would have been better to find a trade partner for Brogdon.
Old 06-22-2023, 10:02 AM   #397
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

They also move up ten spots in this draft, and a likely mid-teens draft pick next year.
Old 06-22-2023, 10:12 AM   #398
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
They also move up ten spots in this draft, and a likely mid-teens draft pick next year.

Yes that is good depending who they draft.
Old 06-22-2023, 10:48 AM   #399
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Would have been better to find a trade partner for Brogdon.

Seems as though they tried but in the end the Clippers backed out due to Brogdon's medical history. With only hours left before the Porzingis option deadline they chose to take what they could get.
Old 06-22-2023, 02:32 PM   #400
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Bwahahahaha

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn 20m
ESPN Sources: The Washington Wizards are finalizing a deal to send Chris Paul to the Golden State Warriors for a package that includes Jordan Poole and future draft assets.