Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-11-2023, 02:04 PM   #351
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

lol

De La Cruz with an infield single on a grounder to 1B.
Old 06-11-2023, 02:34 PM   #352
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

What?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 09:43 AM   #353
stevew
Hall Of Famer

De La Cruz only signed for 65k. That’s absolutely absurd. Hopefully the Reds can get something done on a long term extension soon.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 10:07 AM   #354
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

After yesterday's game he has the fastest throw from an infielder this year. His tools are just ridiculous.
Old 06-12-2023, 10:15 AM   #355
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
De La Cruz only signed for 65k. That’s absolutely absurd. Hopefully the Reds can get something done on a long term extension soon.

They signed him at 16. I don't think there's any rush to ink him to a long term deal. They have lots of control of his contract right now.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 12:21 PM   #356
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'd sign him to a ten year deal before the season ends. Every month his price is going to go up and this way they could spread the hit over more years. Even his first arb year could be crazy.
Old 06-12-2023, 12:51 PM   #357
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I guess my thought is that he’s relatively “poor” at this point and negotiating sooner is better. De La Crux can still finish #2 in the ROY race possibly(but unlikely). If he did that he’d get credit for a full year of service time. As it stands now comps would be 8/111 for Carrol, 12/210 for JRod or 11/182 for Franco. I get being a bit afraid of it being an Aquino 2.0 situation. something like 9/130 or 10/157 maybe?
Old 06-12-2023, 01:55 PM   #358
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I'd sign him as soon as possible and hope you're getting a discount. I get the fear of Aquino, but they just don't have comparable MiLB stats. Elly is only 21 and has MiLB stats of .298/.359/.908.
Old 06-12-2023, 06:20 PM   #359
PilotMan
Head Coach

If the Dodgers had paid Bellinger (with a long term deal) when he broke out they'd still be on the hook for like 7 more years and a hundred plus million?

Like Steam?

Old 06-13-2023, 07:29 AM   #360
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Old 06-13-2023, 09:20 AM   #361
whomario
Pro Starter

Athletics with 6 straight wins

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 06-13-2023 at 09:21 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 09:28 AM   #362
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Probably just needs glasses.
Ghost Econ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 08:16 PM   #363
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

WTF is this nonsense?

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 08:20 PM   #364
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
WTF is this nonsense?

So franchises that really can't justify their existence can lose less money.
Old 06-13-2023, 11:15 PM   #365
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
So franchises that really can't justify their existence can lose less money.

clippy just popped up and said "Did you mean "hide more profits from revenue sharing?"
Old 06-14-2023, 09:22 AM   #366
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

So the A's are good and the Mets suck again? WTF is this nonsense?
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 09:23 AM   #367
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
clippy just popped up and said "Did you mean "hide more profits from revenue sharing?"

The more they hide the merrier, baseball would be in much better shape if they contracted to 24 teams.
Old 06-14-2023, 09:28 AM   #368
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Royals have some good young bats and a few decent arms. Seems like a likely win on their team win total bet(68.5). Witt/Melendez/Perez should all challenge 30-35 homers, Pasquitino looks like a solid 20-25 homer guy at first base as well.

Aging like fine (red) wine (vinegar)
Old 06-14-2023, 10:12 AM   #369
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Jordan Lyles is currently 0-11 with a 6.89 ERA.

For his career he's 66-101 with a 5.20 ERA in almost 230 career starts. He's been worth -2.3 WAR over 13 MLB seasons. He's made around $40 million in his career.

Does he have pics of GMs or something?
Old 06-14-2023, 11:01 AM   #370
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
WTF is this nonsense?

Aren't surprised that it has taken this long for this to happen? While it may not be as bad as having to pay $10 million for a utility infielder, at some point owners were going to get tired of having to hire half of the graduating class to analyze spin rate. Not saying that analyzing spin rate is a bad thing, but cutting costs and increasing overall profits is a thing.

Quote:
Executives with smaller-market teams have long lamented the task of keeping up with the spending capabilities of larger market teams.

I am not sure it is necessarily a big market vs. small market argument as much as it is willing to spend whatever vs. not willing to spend whatever argument. See the Mets under Wilpon ownership and the Mets under Cohen ownership.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 11:24 AM   #371
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Jordan Lyles is currently 0-11 with a 6.89 ERA.

For his career he's 66-101 with a 5.20 ERA in almost 230 career starts. He's been worth -2.3 WAR over 13 MLB seasons. He's made around $40 million in his career.

Does he have pics of GMs or something?

He got $8m from the Orioles but this article basically says "they got what they paid for" ...

Quote:
There were only 21 pitchers in MLB who made at least 32 starts this season; one of them was Lyles. He finished 29th in innings pitched, but if it weren’t for the rain delay in his penultimate start of the season, Lyles would have landed in or very close to the top 20 ... By making a full season of starts, Lyles stabilized one spot in the rotation and kept the team from having to plug either unqualified or not-quite-ready starters...also saved the Orioles from the middle relief hell of guys like, just to name a few, Conner Greene (7.71 ERA, 23.1 IP), Konner Wade (11.68 ERA, 12.1 IP), Shaun Anderson (9.00 ERA, 10 IP), and Dusten Knight (9.35 ERA, 8.2 IP).

Basically, he takes up innings that would go to even worse pitchers and he shows up when his turn in the rotation comes up.
Old 06-14-2023, 11:27 AM   #372
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

So being a GM is basically like being a high school boy:

Does it have a pulse? I'll take a shot.
Old 06-14-2023, 12:21 PM   #373
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
So being a GM is basically like being a high school boy: Does it have a pulse? I'll take a shot.

With the considerable excess of teams vs legitimate major league pitchers, somebody has to be the beneficiary.

Say 6 teams too many, that's a minimum of 30 starters who really don't belong in the majors right now ... and that's before we account for injuries, etc.

That's at least one unqualified SP per team minimum. And that's before we get to the bullpen dreck.
Old 06-14-2023, 08:30 PM   #374
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Aging like fine (red) wine (vinegar)

Pasquantino definitely not going to get 20-25 homers this year, he's out for the season.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 08:49 PM   #375
PilotMan
Head Coach

Wow I had no idea the Royals were this bad .

Like Steam?

Old 06-14-2023, 10:17 PM   #376
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

First time I can remember a fielding shift violation being called.

https://streamable.com/f4jb5e

Last edited by SirFozzie : 06-14-2023 at 10:18 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 10:55 PM   #377
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Wow I had no idea the Royals were this bad .

I saw something that they can't be in the draft lottery three years in a row, so the earliest they can pick in the 24 draft is 10th
Old 06-15-2023, 07:10 AM   #378
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm pretty sure it's can't pick in the top three.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:23 AM   #379
BYU 14
Coordinator

Trevor Bauer with another accuser coming forward. I don't know how much of any of these allegations are true, but it is clear he is probably a dick to women, a bit twisted in his sex life and definitely opens himself up to this with his choices and actions. I mean how many other major leaguers are approaching anything close to this level allegations. I hope he enjoys life in Japan.

https://apnews.com/article/trevor-ba...7f57db312c9fd1
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 02:33 PM   #380
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm pretty sure it's can't pick in the top three.

Both of us were wrong, top 6.

Guide To The New CBA: Draft Lottery, Expanded Playoffs And More

"Revenue sharing recipients may not receive a lottery (i.e. top six) pick more than two years in a row. Teams that pay revenue sharing may not receive a lottery pick (i.e. top six) more than one year in a row."

and rather than dolapost, file this under Why Foz would not make a good judge, Pt 2,358,215

Arrests made in thefts of Yogi Berra World Series rings, Roger Maris MVP trophy - ESPN

Investigators believe some of the sports memorabilia had been melted down, including nine of Berra's 10 World Series rings, U.S. Attorney Gerard M. Karam said at a news conference.

My reaction?

"For the crime of multiple counts of theft, I sentence the defendants to 64 months of prison. For the crime of destroying sports history, I sentence the defendants to Life at hard labor."
Old 06-15-2023, 03:07 PM   #381
molson
General Manager

Manfred trolling the A's about their reverse boycott night is douchey and also kind of funny.

"I mean, it was great. It is great to see what is this year almost an average Major League Baseball crowd in the facility for one night. That's a great thing."

https://twitter.com/joonlee/status/1...522059265?s=46
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 03:10 PM   #382
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Now that I think of it, a wordsmith of Yogi's talents would be honored to be the victim of a thieving ring of ring thieves
Old 06-16-2023, 10:21 AM   #383
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Going to be wild to see how Baltimore plays out the next 4-5 years. Right now they have 4 top 50 hitting guys in the minors. Westburg(.950+), Cowser(1.000+) Kjerstad(.950+)all ripping apart AAA. And Jackson Holliday is 19 and destroying A+ with a .460 OBP.

Almost makes me wish I still lived in Norfolk to check these guys out. Except Holliday, who could probably hold his own in the majors right now at 19 and will likely skip AAA.
Old 06-16-2023, 01:21 PM   #384
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Has anyone ever won the batting and pitching triple crown for his team?

Old 06-16-2023, 02:32 PM   #385
BYU 14
Coordinator

Babe Ruth with the Red Sox, only it happened in two separate seasons, 1916 for Pitching and 1919 for Batting. Underscores just how impressive it would truly be.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 02:24 PM   #386
Ksyrup

Charlie Culberson got DFA'd today and his dad was scheduled to throw out the first pitch. Ouch.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-18-2023, 03:51 PM   #387
miami_fan
Coordinator

I wonder why they picked Culberson's dad as opposed to someone with more security on the team? Not trying to crush the team or anything like that. It just seems weird that the team would not have gone with a guy like Michael Harris II from the start.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2023, 04:32 PM   #388
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Henry Davis to debut on Monday at home.
Old 06-18-2023, 05:31 PM   #389
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I wonder why they picked Culberson's dad as opposed to someone with more security on the team? Not trying to crush the team or anything like that. It just seems weird that the team would not have gone with a guy like Michael Harris II from the start.
They really love Charlie. The situation with Murphy forced them to make a move the team didn't anticipate, and unfortunately Charlie just the most expendable. I think the team just thought it would be an honor for someone beloved by the front office and the fans, but in the end winning ballgames trumps all.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 04:24 AM   #390
whomario
Pro Starter

Any recommendations for good MLB Podcasts?
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 06-20-2023, 11:21 PM   #391
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Immaculate Grid is pretty fun. Like wordle but baseball nerds
Old 06-21-2023, 12:20 PM   #392
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

This sounds like a good comparison for this lawsuit.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 05:13 PM   #393
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

They are far from a lock for the playoffs given the starting pitching, but this 11 gam winning streak has made being a Reds fan awfully fun.
Old 06-21-2023, 09:37 PM   #394
Ksyrup

I don't know if anyone saw the replay call in the Twins/Red Sox game just now, but that was absolutely awful. Toss play to the pitcher covering 1B, batter called out, but the replay clearly showed the pitcher didn't touch 1B, the batter's foot did, and he never touched him with the glove. WTF are we even doing with replay if they're going to uphold a clearly incorrect call?

Twins won anyway on a walk-off from the next batter, but that was a shit call.
Old 06-23-2023, 10:37 AM   #395
Atocep
Coordinator

There's some incredible young talent in baseball right now.

Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 07:59 PM   #396
PilotMan
Head Coach

Elly does it again. First Red since '89 with a cycle and it's only the 6th inning.

Like Steam?

Old 06-23-2023, 08:00 PM   #397
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Elly does it again. First Red since '89 with a cycle and it's only the 6th inning.

Get this team some starting pitching and watch the fuck out. I love how much they run and pressure the opposition.
Old 06-23-2023, 08:03 PM   #398
PilotMan
Head Coach

They are really really exciting to watch. My only hurt is that it's rewarded management for not keeping talent around.

Like Steam?

Old 06-23-2023, 08:07 PM   #399
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

YEah if they would have kept Castillo and Gray they'd be in the same place, but with two top starters. Or they could have spent real money this winter instead of relying on Weaver and Cessa.
Old 06-24-2023, 04:35 AM   #400
whomario
Pro Starter

Spectacular Game between the Reds and Braves and that crowd was delirious at times.