Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who wins House Speaker?
Jordan 6 23.08%
Scalise 4 15.38%
McCarthy 2 7.69%
Jeffries 1 3.85%
Trout 13 50.00%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2023, 06:58 PM   #51
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
David Duke beat out Denny Hastert as I saw one pundit put it.

This is fantastic.

flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 07:08 PM   #52
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

It's more than four. Buck said 7, with 7 more undecided.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 07:34 PM   #53
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Elect Nancy Pelosi we can do this
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 07:37 PM   #54
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Elect Ralph Wiggum we can do this

Fixed
Old 10-11-2023, 10:06 PM   #55
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

elect Barack Obama. As a scientific experiment to see if spontaneous human combustion is truly impossible (of Donald Trump and MAGA-nation, of course)
Old 10-12-2023, 06:46 AM   #56
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The best thing the media could do now is leave.

Just tell the GOP to let us know when they are ready to vote on a Speaker and go cover something else in the meantime.

As long as there are hundreds of cameras and microphones around, the showhorses are going to keep strutting.

As soon as the cameras leave, the Congressfolk will shrug and elect someone.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 10-12-2023 at 06:47 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 07:28 AM   #57
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

Just tell the GOP to let us know when they are ready to vote on a Speaker and go cover something else in the meantime.

As long as there are hundreds of cameras and microphones around, the showhorses are going to keep strutting.

Of course that is never going to happen. All of this is political reporters wet dream.
Old 10-12-2023, 08:21 AM   #58
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

Except Gaetz. The putz who started the whole thing was apparently in FL with Trump. As unserious a politician as there has ever been.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 09:01 AM   #59
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The GOP's inability to come together to complete the most basic of tasks is legit news. Pretending as if this is normal just encourages more fuckery in the future.
Old 10-12-2023, 10:11 AM   #60
GrantDawg

Consider the source, but Newsmax is reporting Scalise is going to drop out of the race. Others are going to jump in.

Old 10-12-2023, 10:31 AM   #61
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Consider the source, but Newsmax is reporting Scalise is going to drop out of the race. Others are going to jump in.

What a clown show.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 12:44 PM   #62
Ksyrup

And Jeffries with the perfect PR move of offering to partner with the GOP to elect a sane Speaker.

All they really need is 4 GOPers to cross the line, one of whom would be the Speaker nomination. I'm sure it's career suicide, but hell, as many GOPers who have retired and then made their opinions known, surely there are 4 moderates who already see the writing on the wall and know their positions are short-lived anyway, so why not take the Cheney/Kinzinger route?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-12-2023, 04:38 PM   #63
GrantDawg

Mike Rogers came out the meetings today and told the press he doesn't see any way there will be a Speaker that will gain 217 Republican votes and is asking the Democrats to help. That's one.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-12-2023 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-12-2023, 04:50 PM   #64
RainMaker
General Manager

Some good old game theory taking place. I wonder if they could convince 4 Republicans to vote for some like Brian Fitzpatrick as a stopgap till the election.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 05:14 PM   #65
GrantDawg

Just a guess, but I think they would need more than 4. I think there would be Democrats that will refuse to vote for a GOP speaker. Idk that number, but I am guessing more than a couple.

Old 10-12-2023, 05:31 PM   #66
RainMaker
General Manager

Is there a chance Santos steps down? I mean those new charges are pretty damning and at some point don't they have to expel him?
Old 10-12-2023, 05:46 PM   #67
GrantDawg

I think he and Menedez will have to be expelled.

Old 10-12-2023, 07:24 PM   #68
miami_fan
Coordinator

He gone!

Steve Scalise drops out of speaker's race as House GOP faces leadership crisis | CNN Politics
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 10:12 PM   #69
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Best/worst line: "He took his ball and went home" (considering his injuries from the shooting).

I don't see how the Republicans get to a speaker any time soon.
Old 10-12-2023, 10:23 PM   #70
Edward64
Head Coach

MSM should have a ‘Days without a Speaker’ and ‘Days until Nov 17’
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 12:58 PM   #71
Edward64
Head Coach

Be nice for GA to have the House Speaker. And not an election denier!

Go Austin Scott!
Old 10-13-2023, 02:24 PM   #72
GrantDawg

He is what passes as a moderate these days, but that probably dooms him in the GOP.

Old 10-13-2023, 02:36 PM   #73
RainMaker
General Manager

Can they just go alphabetically down the list to get an up/down vote and see who gets the most votes and then decide that person is the speaker?
Old 10-13-2023, 02:37 PM   #74
RainMaker
General Manager

My civics is a bit rusty but is Speaker all that important? Seems like a lot of procedural stuff and bloviating to the media. Like it shouldn't be that big of a deal.
Old 10-13-2023, 02:40 PM   #75
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
My civics is a bit rusty but is Speaker all that important? Seems like a lot of procedural stuff and bloviating to the media. Like it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Technically they cannot do any "business" in the House until a Speaker is elected. So the only thing the temporary guy can do is gavel it in to order then suspend for the day.
Old 10-13-2023, 02:47 PM   #76
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The procedural stuff is how everything works. Nothing happens without the procedural stuff.
Old 10-13-2023, 03:08 PM   #77
GrantDawg

They are also third in line of succession.

Old 10-13-2023, 03:12 PM   #78
GrantDawg

Looks like Jordan won the vote. Still not enough votes to be named Speaker, but he is the official nominee.

Old 10-13-2023, 03:14 PM   #79
RainMaker
General Manager

Can't they just find an old, quiet guy in the party they can make the Speaker? Just a boring person who will call up votes and that's it.
Old 10-13-2023, 03:23 PM   #80
GrantDawg

The best thing that could happen is putting someone in that will just allow votes. The GOP would still have the majority, so it isn't like anything radical could get through, but there are things the majority would agree to that a partisan Speaker would prevent ever getting to a vote.

Old 10-13-2023, 03:56 PM   #81
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Can't they just find an old, quiet guy in the party they can make the Speaker? Just a boring person who will call up votes and that's it.

They all retired or got primaried by a typical Republican nutcase.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 04:01 PM   #82
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

More than 50+ no's to the informal vote "Will you support Jordan on the floor". I don't see how this is going to work any better then Scalise and McCarthy before him.

The centrist dems are offering to support McHenry in 15 day increments, allowing them to bring Ukraine/Israel aid to the floor, as well as FY2024 budgets and CR. In return they'd get 50% of the suspension bills,. (used for non-controversial bills *, scheduled by the Speaker, that requires a 2/3'ds majority to pass.

* yes, to the crazies, ANY bill that doesn't allow them to grandstand about "Owning the Libs" is controversial, but by that I mean stuff that vast majorities agree to in each conference, but because the Crazies have blocking power in the GOP never could get scheduled for a vote.
Old 10-13-2023, 04:07 PM   #83
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

dola:

The last few years have been the Republican Party facing the baying MAGA mob, and turning up the crazy, one notch at a time, all while looking to the crowd to fundraise (and secretly hope the MAGA side will be satisfied, which they never are), and the centrists are like "Hey, can we just like, turn the crazy knob back one or two notches, hmm?" while of course, the Gaetz of the world are attaching a jet engine powered drill to the crazy knob and spinning it up to Mach 3.
Old 10-13-2023, 04:14 PM   #84
Atocep
Coordinator

124-81 on Jordan

I think there will likely be more hard no votes on Jordan than Scalise, but who knows anything at this point.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 04:27 PM   #85
RainMaker
General Manager

How many votes can the afford to lose?
Old 10-13-2023, 04:31 PM   #86
bronconick
College Starter

If they took their phones away and banned them from Fox News or their imitations, they'd probably have a new Speaker in about 20 minutes. They're all about nothing but performative art and fundraising, as we'll see all Sunday.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 04:57 PM   #87
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How many votes can the afford to lose?

He needs 217-218 to win. So, if more than 4 republicans vote against him (and the dems vote en bloc against them), he won't reach it. same situation that doomed McCarthy. If it requires GOP only votes to put them in, then there's no moderate the crazies will accept, and no crazy the moderates will accept, because the margins are so thin

Last edited by SirFozzie : 10-13-2023 at 05:04 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 06:43 PM   #88
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
124-81 on Jordan

I think there will likely be more hard no votes on Jordan than Scalise, but who knows anything at this point.

What concerns me is that the normals will eventually feel the pressure to do SOMETHING because they recognize (and care) about how bad a look this is for the GOP and the timing of a government shutdown and what's going on in Israel, so they just give in. On the flipside, the crazies don't care about anything but pure chaos so they aren't fazed in the least. You put someone like Jordan up, and he's going to eventually win. I don't know if it will be Jordan, but eventually, one of them will win. They are counting on the normals doing the "right" thing, which works to their favor.
Old 10-13-2023, 07:43 PM   #89
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
What concerns me is that the normals will eventually feel the pressure to do SOMETHING because they recognize (and care) about how bad a look this is for the GOP and the timing of a government shutdown and what's going on in Israel, so they just give in. On the flipside, the crazies don't care about anything but pure chaos so they aren't fazed in the least. You put someone like Jordan up, and he's going to eventually win. I don't know if it will be Jordan, but eventually, one of them will win. They are counting on the normals doing the "right" thing, which works to their favor.

You've got a good point.

But then the normals have another alternative. Work with the Dems to come up with a compromise candidate.

There's a point of dysfunction (let's say sometime around Nov 17 budget thing) where the normals should have a better/convincing rationale (blame the crazies) to share with their districts on why they worked with the Dems.
Old 10-13-2023, 08:01 PM   #90
Ksyrup

That would be a more shocking result than Trump as Speaker. I hope I'm wrong, but nothing I've seen suggests that is in the realm of possibility.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-13-2023 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-13-2023, 08:06 PM   #91
Edward64
Head Coach

Data and Mr. Spock would put it at 2.94% probability.
Old 10-13-2023, 08:09 PM   #92
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The "normals" will lose their seats if they work with Democrats to restore some sanity. But if their true interest is in good governance, then they will put the good of the country above their own personal interests.

Which means it won't happen.
Old 10-13-2023, 09:05 PM   #93
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

and the hardliners are calling them wimps pretty much to their faces.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/statu...81083250209269
Old 10-13-2023, 09:07 PM   #94
GrantDawg

McCarthy has already came out in support for him. He is probably right. Republicans always cave to the nuts.

Old 10-14-2023, 12:23 PM   #95
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

So Trump paid off Scalise to drop out

(with monopoly money of course)
Old 10-14-2023, 12:25 PM   #96
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
124-81 on Jordan

that's what articales are saying. That he has at least 20 hard no votes from the rep side
Old 10-14-2023, 01:53 PM   #97
GrantDawg

This seems to be gaining steam:
Old 10-14-2023, 04:41 PM   #98
Edward64
Head Coach

I read that McHenry has rebuffed it (for now at least)

Eagerly awaiting next weeks made for TV drama.
Old 10-14-2023, 04:54 PM   #99
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I read that McHenry has rebuffed it (for now at least)

Eagerly awaiting next weeks made for TV drama.

Old 10-15-2023, 01:20 PM   #100
Edward64
Head Coach

So below is from a Politico article today.

Am I having reading comprehension issues or should they have a discussion with their copy editor/intern?

House Democratic leader Jeffries says 'informal' discussions underway on speakership mess - POLITICO
Quote:
House Dem leader: ‘Informal’ discussions underway on speakership mess

The House has been with an official speaker since Oct. 3.

Also, if Jordan fails next week, who is up next for consideration? McCarthy, re-cycle Scalise, another dark horse candidate?

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-15-2023 at 01:22 PM.