Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-09-2023, 05:17 PM   #1
Bobble
College Prospect

The first computer game you ever played?

Pulled from the steam thread 'cause I thought it would be an interesting thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
This was the first PC game I ever played (on Apple 2 in the 80s). I'll be picking it up (if only for nostalgia reasons) - looks like a pretty solid remake/homage:

Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord on Steam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Don't remember why now, but the Wizardry series never really grabbed me. I'll be sure to take it a look at it when it comes out of early access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Have fun reliving those glory years!

First non-arcade game I can remember was MULE on the Commodore 64. Good times where we were in a group and played together.

Sprinkled with D&D, The Fantasy Trip, and a series of Avalon Hill games like Squad Leader & Diplomacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Bards Tale. Hours upon hours on the C64. There was also a golf game and a game where you trained a knight to joust which I can't remember the names of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
First game I ever played on PC (well, if one can call the TRS-80 a "pc" lol)

Bedlam (1982 video game - Wikipedia)

Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 05:21 PM   #2
Bobble
College Prospect

For me, I remember people playing Oregon Trail but the first game I remember sinking hours into was XOR NFL Challenge.

Old 10-09-2023, 05:25 PM   #3
Edward64
Head Coach

Oh yeah, I remember XOR.

Great time. I remember there were some plays that were a sure thing for positive yards.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 05:39 PM   #4
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Not counting games at school (like Oregon Trail) or some Zork clone I played at my cousin's:

Earl Weaver Baseball II
Robin Hood: Conquest of the Longbow
Joe Montana Football

It was one of those three in 1991

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 10-09-2023 at 05:41 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 05:44 PM   #5
Antmeister
Pro Starter

First PC was a TI-99 4/A and I believe the first game I played on it was Munch Man (which was basically a Pac-Man variant):
Munch Man (TI-99/4A) gameplay footage - YouTube
Old 10-09-2023, 05:55 PM   #6
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oregon Trial in school, LOGO in School, and Computer Baseball and Miner 2049er on computer
Old 10-09-2023, 05:56 PM   #7
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
For me, I remember people playing Oregon Trail but the first game I remember sinking hours into was XOR NFL Challenge.

Better sim engine than anything EA has put out in 20 years. I loved that game.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 05:57 PM   #8
RainMaker
General Manager

I had some DOS games like Centipede, Pac-Man, etc. But my first real games were Micro League Baseball and then eventually Earl Weaver Baseball on the PC. Earl Weaver had some great customization options. I spent forever building cool teams in it.
Old 10-09-2023, 06:17 PM   #9
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
First PC was a TI-99 4/A and I believe the first game I played on it was Munch Man (which was basically a Pac-Man variant):
Munch Man (TI-99/4A) gameplay footage - YouTube

Oh shit you're going to send me to the TI-99 emulators.

I have no idea what I played first, but, all of those games there at the kitchen TV as soon as I was capable of playing them - Much Man, Alpiner, Parsac, Football (which is definitely how I learned the basic rules of football of downs, yards to go, etc.), Burger Time, Hunt the Wumpus, TI Invaders, I'm sure there were others.

I struggled for many hours with Alpiner as a young kid - then I found the game via emulator in college and knocked it out, first try, about 10 minutes. Similar experience with Oregon trail. I though, shit, maybe I should have spent all that time developing more useful life skills.

When we got an Apple IIgs later I dove head first into all of the Sierra Adventure games, Police Quest, Space Quest, King's Quest.

Last edited by molson : 10-09-2023 at 06:20 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 06:19 PM   #10
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Micro League Baseball and Football were fun games. I also spent a bunch of time on Earl Weaver.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 06:20 PM   #11
RainMaker
General Manager

Forgot about Kings Quest. Their "tip line" had to have made a fortune from me.
Old 10-09-2023, 06:47 PM   #12
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Oh yeah, I had Sierra Online's tip line on speed dial. I remember my dad showing me the phone bill one time.
Old 10-09-2023, 07:03 PM   #13
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Oh shit you're going to send me to the TI-99 emulators.

I have no idea what I played first, but, all of those games there at the kitchen TV as soon as I was capable of playing them - Much Man, Alpiner, Parsac, Football (which is definitely how I learned the basic rules of football of downs, yards to go, etc.), Burger Time, Hunt the Wumpus, TI Invaders, I'm sure there were others.

I struggled for many hours with Alpiner as a young kid - then I found the game via emulator in college and knocked it out, first try, about 10 minutes. Similar experience with Oregon trail. I though, shit, maybe I should have spent all that time developing more useful life skills.

When we got an Apple IIgs later I dove head first into all of the Sierra Adventure games, Police Quest, Space Quest, King's Quest.

LOL....I have never heard of/played Alpiner. But the rest of them, I have definitely played. My brother always jokes, to this day, about Hunt the Wumpus because of how many hours I spent on that freaking game.

And there were a slew of games that were on cassette tapes that I used to play too.

But yeah Oregon Trail is likely a game many people played from our generation.
Old 10-09-2023, 07:12 PM   #14
rjolley
College Starter

First games I really remember playing a lot were Micro League Baseball and Madden, both on the C-64/C-128. Loved both of them because you could enter stats and make dream teams for Micro League and build out the Bears' 46 defense and custom plays for Madden.

But the first computer games I played were for the Timex Sinclair 1000. Don't remember the names. Also, I typed in code from magazines and did some coding of my own, so there were those as well.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 07:21 PM   #15
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

I remember playing XOR on an old apple ii. I also played this shit out of Hardball on that thing.

I remember the first PC game I ever bought was Front Page Sports Football Pro '95.

Man, this took me down a memory hole and I remembered playing some Apple game where you move through elevators. Found it and it's called Social Climber. I played that way too much

Last edited by Ghost Econ : 10-09-2023 at 07:24 PM.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 07:29 PM   #16
Edward64
Head Coach

Sorry, MULE was not the first non-arcade game I played.

It was text based Star Trek!

In HS, we had a dumb terminal hooked up to Berkeley (?). I remember going to school early to use it. I had to climb into an open window as the janitor didn't open the room until later in the morning.

Something like below on a green screen.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-09-2023 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-09-2023, 07:57 PM   #17
thesloppy
Pro Starter

^ that text-based star trek quadrant game was also the first computer game I played.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 08:13 PM   #18
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Pong definitely
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 08:36 PM   #19
Flasch186
Coordinator

Micro league baseball was amazing

And then the stat compiler add on came out

Drool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 08:36 PM   #20
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
^ that text-based star trek quadrant game was also the first computer game I played.

Old 10-09-2023, 08:41 PM   #21
thesloppy
Pro Starter

My mom took me to a late 70s party with her friends and I was probably 7-8 and I ended up being the only kid there, and they left me in a room with some comics (that were entirely inappropriate like Freak Brothers and Mr. Natural) and the host's computer, which had that Star Trek game on it. I became instantly obsessed with it in particular, and the idea of computer games in general.

A few months later I ran into someone that had a much older brother with a computer that was running Colossal Cave Adventure and he had a crude map printed out via dot matrix that covered his entire floor.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 08:42 PM   #22
bronconick
College Starter

Family Feud on an 1980ish Apple PC at my uncle's at Christmas. Mean 18, an old MS-DOS golf game that had Augusta and St. Andrews for courses that my dad had in the mid 80's.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 11:29 PM   #23
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

As far as on an actual computer and not just PONG, Comp IV, Speak and Spell, Merlin

Um...In grade school...like 4th or 5th grade? maybe 6th?
we had apple computers at school.

I remember various games.
Rocky's Boots - an engineering game with NOR, AND, OR gates.

there was
In Search of the Most Amazing Thing - where you quest in the galaxy and nerotiate with aliens.

can't remember the rest.

But then we got an apple at home and i think my first was um...Castle Wolfenstein. Obviously nothing like its 3D successor but OH so fun.

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 12:18 AM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That ST wasn't my first but I definitely remember playing it
Old 10-10-2023, 12:44 AM   #25
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:

In HS, we had a dumb terminal hooked up to Berkeley (?). I remember going to school early to use it. I had to climb into an open window as the janitor didn't open the room until later in the morning.

The Star Trek game was my introduction to computers and computer games back in the 70s. My friend built a PC with a Z80 processor, a 10" (?) b&w tv turned monitor, and a Micropolis floppy disk drive. He coded the game in Basic and at the time was the coolest tech I had ever seen. I have been addicted to games ever since.
Old 10-10-2023, 04:13 AM   #26
Suicane75
Coordinator

IBM Football, 95 or 96? I would sometimes play seasons as a particular team but mostly I would just sim all the old seasons and build new NFL histories, playing out the Super Bowls in my yard.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 06:19 AM   #27
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

Me too!
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 08:19 AM   #28
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
The Star Trek game was my introduction to computers and computer games back in the 70s. My friend built a PC with a Z80 processor, a 10" (?) b&w tv turned monitor, and a Micropolis floppy disk drive. He coded the game in Basic and at the time was the coolest tech I had ever seen. I have been addicted to games ever since.

Similar story for me. I was like, "Man, you could do ANYTHING with this thing!". I was picturing expanding or "fixing" games as I wanted or making my own. Too bad it turned out I was just too lazy.
Old 10-10-2023, 09:09 AM   #29
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Pong definitely

We had the Coleco Telstar Arcade. So Pong, the shooting game, and the racing game were my first video games. And maybe the handheld Electronic Quarterback.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 10:07 AM   #30
miked
College Starter

Man, I had the Microleague (and ML2), Zork, XOR, Jordan vs Bird, and I played the crap out of the Ancient Art of War and Ancient Art of War at Sea.

I also still have most of my Might and Magics. I tried to get back in to it years ago with my Clouds of Xeen and World of Xeen, but couldn't find the time.
Old 10-10-2023, 10:20 AM   #31
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

I think the first was "Choplifter" on the C64.

The first game I got into was "The Bard's Tale II". I don't know how many cites and dungeons I mapped out on graph paper, nor how many hours I invested into the game. I've always wished they would flesh that out and bring it back for current gen computers or consoles.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 11:01 AM   #32
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Hmmm.

My uncle had an Intellvision, and I remember playing a poker game on that.

Or it might have been Pac-Man on the Atari 2600.

My babysitter had Zork, which I saw but was not allowed to touch.

My friend had a Commodore 64, and we played a lot of 4th and Inches and Deadline (which I looked up years later and was basically impossible).
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 01:17 PM   #33
MJ4H
Coordinator

Taipan

MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 01:19 PM   #34
GrantDawg

Anybody use to play Car Wars? I loved that game on Apple II.
Old 10-10-2023, 01:47 PM   #35
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:

I played the tabletop game from Steve Jackson games. I remember having my track all laid out on the living room floor, my car and smoke and oil slick counters all laid out, and my dad's irritated look while he wanted to watch TV.
Old 10-10-2023, 01:57 PM   #36
GrantDawg

Quote:
I played the tabletop game from Steve Jackson games. I remember having my track all laid out on the living room floor, my car and smoke and oil slick counters all laid out, and my dad's irritated look while he wanted to watch TV.
We played that to. As a matter of fact, Steve Jackson came to the hobby shop where I hung out/worked. I'm pretty sure I have told that story here before.
Old 10-10-2023, 02:29 PM   #37
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I played a ton of Autoduel on my Apple II, which was based on Car Wars.

I have a hard time remembering what the first computer game I ever played was. It's a bit a of jumble, since I largely played on friends' computers for the first few years.

I remember games like "Mystery House", "Apple Panic", "Karateka", "Swashbuckler" as some of the earliest games I played on a computer.

It was all Apple II, I never had any real experience with a Commodore 64.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 02:38 PM   #38
Edward64
Head Coach

Steve Jackson was at DragonCon 1 or 2 years ago. I was going to go just to see the man in person.

I played Ogre but remember Car Wars vaguely.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-10-2023 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-10-2023, 03:15 PM   #39
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Oh yeah, I had Sierra Online's tip line on speed dial. I remember my dad showing me the phone bill one time.

I imagine it was a scam of sorts where they'd leave something out of the game that required you to call for help. Kings Quest 2 I remember had some absurd stuff you could never figure out on your own.

Another memory from that era is trading games with friends and having to photograph the entire game manual because that was their anti-piracy method at the time.
Old 10-10-2023, 03:37 PM   #40
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:

Oh man...yep, I played both the computer and tabletop versions. And yeah you had to use an entire floor for that map. Also looked forward to picking up those Uncle Albert catalogs. That led me to discover Ogre and then I would eventually pick up his roleplaying game, GURPS, which I played for years.
Old 10-10-2023, 04:06 PM   #41
Atocep
Coordinator

Outside of the learning games at school, the first real game I remember playing was King's Quest 2 on a friend's computer. I didn't get my own computer until '97 and the first game I played on that was Baseball Mogul.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 06:15 PM   #42
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I played a ton of Autoduel on my Apple II, which was based on Car Wars.
As much as I love games (board, TTRPG, PC) I rarely finish any computer games. Autoduel was an exception. I played it on my Atari 1200XL. I was expecting something special at the end but it disappointed as (I hear) many games do.
Old 10-13-2023, 03:57 PM   #43
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Some greats here. I used to love Taipan and Earl Weaver.

One of the first "sports sim" type games I played was Tony La Russa Baseball 3. It was the first PC baseball game I can remember where you could do a "GM Challenge", makes trades and build a team. You could also do a fantasy draft of players that I always enjoyed:

Last edited by Arles : 10-13-2023 at 03:59 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 05:33 PM   #44
GrantDawg

Played the hell out of Tony La Russa.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2023, 05:37 PM   #45
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Ditto
Old 10-13-2023, 05:39 PM   #46
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Like Jon, I had a TRS-80 color computer and remember Bedlam, booting it up from cassette tape.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 06:13 PM   #47
RainMaker
General Manager

My first sim was a game called Power Politics.
Old 10-14-2023, 09:42 AM   #48
BigDPW
College Prospect

Got my first PC in the mid-late 80's (IBM PS/2) as my uncle worked for IBM and gave it to us as a gift.

First games I remember playing:
Kings Quest I-VI

First Sports Games:
Front Page Sports Football
Front Page Sports Baseball

First Non-Sports Sims:
Janes Longbow Gold
Janes? A-10 Warthog

Other Memorable PC Games:
NASCAR Racing (got a wheel accessory that was awesome)
SWAT
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 09:58 AM   #49
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
Got my first PC in the mid-late 80's (IBM PS/2) as my uncle worked for IBM and gave it to us as a gift.

Those PS/2 desktops were the best looking! Like the Nissan 300Z (Z32 in the 90s), I'd still buy it on the looks if they updated the internals.

My first PC was below. It had a HD and floppy drive.

Old 10-14-2023, 10:03 AM   #50
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

SSI Computer Baseball, mid 80's on an Atari computer.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote