Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-14-2023, 09:39 AM   #1
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

How much would it cost to get you to (or not) eat meat

I saw this posted on Reddit under the guise of: if you were offered $1k a week to never eat meat again, would you?

I was kinda surprised how many people jumped on it. $1k is nice money, but I prefer meat more than am extra $52k a year. I think $10k a week would get me closer, but it might have to be closer to $20k a week.

Also, there wasnt enough info on a hypothetical deal, like if you fail do you keep what you've gotten, do you have to pay it back...

Since I know we have a fair number of meat abstainers here, I'll phrase it a different way:

How much (per week/month) would it take for you to either never eat meat again or eat meat regularly again, depending on your preference. The caveat is that if you don't last 6 months you have to pay it all back. Then it's a rolling meter where you have to pay back the previous 6 months plus 20% of the total you've earned.

For example, let's say you accept $1k a month and last 3 years.

$1k x 156 weeks = $156k - 26 weeks at $1k = $130k - .2 x $156k = ~$100k. So about $30k a year not to eat meat.

Obviously the payback is arbitrary, so play with it as you will. How much would it take you to change your mind and how long do you think you could realistically go?

Personally I could go 6 months at best in my current state, but if you get to train I could maybe go a year or so.

Last edited by Ghost Econ : 12-14-2023 at 09:42 AM.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 09:55 AM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

My price would vary based on whether seafood is allowed.

If I could eat seafood, then $1000/month would be enough.

If not, I might go with $2000/month.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 10:41 AM   #3
molson
General Manager

I'd do it for $1k. Though the seafood part does make me think a bit.

I've reduced my meat intake gradually over the years, but, still love a good steak or easy breakfast sandwich. But for an extra $1k/week I'd be happy to cut it off entirely, be healthier, and travel a little more.

Last edited by molson : 12-14-2023 at 12:28 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 11:36 AM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

It would have to be enough for me to be able donate the money to some charity that would make my eating meat a net positive for animals and the environment. Not eating meat is a part of my identity at this point. I don't believe man should have dominion over animals and I don't think it is right to subject animals to a horrible life in factory farms. So it'd have to be a lot of money.

Last edited by Kodos : 12-14-2023 at 12:06 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 12:08 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I thought this post was about inflation.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 03:08 PM   #6
Swaggs
Coordinator

If I could still eat eggs and dairy, this is a no brainer for me. If it is no animal products, at all, that might get a little tricky.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 03:17 PM   #7
cuervo72
Head Coach

Really I've not eaten a lot of meat for some time. With the meat-eating kid out of the house and with my wife not the hugest fan, I don't make it as a main course all that often. Pizza toppings, yeah; chicken in my CFA salad, yeah; sandwiches, yeah. But even the other night when I made a rigatoni dish with onions, peppers, and "sausage" - the sausage was fake. Sure, we went to Outback the other day and I wasn't going to pass up prime rib. But that's also not a common occurrence.

If fish/eggs/cheese were allowed, sure, I could do it.
Old 12-14-2023, 03:23 PM   #8
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I need to do some research on the price of a good private chef. Then I would add a small chunk on top of that.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 03:36 PM   #9
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Depends on how much meat you eat...
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 03:49 PM   #10
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

https://youtu.be/ivxgebDK0iQ?si=speYogPxwTk4qjHf&t=743

Nah, get me some tofu!

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 12-14-2023 at 03:50 PM.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 04:12 PM   #11
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
I need to do some research on the price of a good private chef. Then I would add a small chunk on top of that.

This was exactly my first thought. And having to go vegan vs allowing seafood and dairy would be a deal breaker.

In general though, if it’s just ditch meat for money to have a good private chef and an additional 20k on top… yeah I think I could go for that. I basically already cut red meat out except for maybe a couple of times a month, and there’s lots of things that can replace chicken especially when cooked by someone who knows what they are doing.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 04:45 PM   #12
PilotMan
Head Coach

Given that my wife is vegan, makes 99% of the food in our house, so I'd only be giving up food when I'm out....it depends. But I could probably get by on impossible burgers. I'd miss out on pulled pork, and various other porks, pizza would suck, but it's something I could get used to. Now how much would I like to get paid to make that swap? I think the number would be 7-10k per week, before I'd take it seriously.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 05:40 PM   #13
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Well I generally charge my murder victims at least $10k to not eat their corpses and I am true to my word. I generally murder at least once a month (on the full moon of course). So given the pay-back clause you listed I'm going to need more than $1k/week in order for me to give up meat.
Old 12-14-2023, 06:06 PM   #14
Edward64
Head Coach

I like my beef, chicken, pork and seafood a lot. So if I'm going to do this, it'll need to be a nice sum to make it worth my while (tofu is expensive).

I'll say $240k a year should do it.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 06:36 PM   #15
RainMaker
General Manager

That would be tough. Would this include eggs and dairy? I feel like I'd do it for around $2500/month. But I don't know if I could go the rest of my life.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 07:49 PM   #16
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

For me, there's different levels.

Red meat only, then that plus poultry, then those plus seafood, then those plus dairy (e.g. full vegan). We're Jewish so pork is out from the beginning.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 08:58 AM   #17
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
It would have to be enough for me to be able donate the money to some charity that would make my eating meat a net positive for animals and the environment. Not eating meat is a part of my identity at this point. I don't believe man should have dominion over animals and I don't think it is right to subject animals to a horrible life in factory farms. So it'd have to be a lot of money.

My man
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 12:25 PM   #18
Radii
Head Coach

The best health markers I've had in my adult life come when I increase my meat intake via a ketogenic diet, but I've been curious a few times if I could make the opposite direction work for me somehow. I think for $2k/week I'd be willing to commit to a 6 month trial to see if I could swing it.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 02:12 PM   #19
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

I feel like I spend $1000 more a month to just eat the same stuff I was eating a few years ago.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 02:37 PM   #20
Edward64
Head Coach

That’s a pretty big food budget!
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 04:01 PM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I don't think there's a price point where that'd work.