Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-24-2017, 05:42 AM   #601
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Rod Gilmore might be the worst announcer I've ever heard

He makes Millen seem like a Rhodes scholar.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:44 AM   #602
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Two INT's. One because the receiver ran the wrong route and the other because it bounced off the chest of the receiver.

Sit out Josh, please? It's not worth it. That fact that you still care is impressive.

He padded his stats against 3 terrible defenses to start the season. 3 TD and 2 INT is the real Rosen. He panics when there's pressure and racks up numbers late like Matt Stafford when he's playing good defenses. He'll be an NFL starter but there's little chance he's the guy you build a franchise around.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 09-24-2017 at 05:45 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:56 AM   #603
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post

He padded his stats against 3 terrible defenses to start the season. 3 TD and 2 INT is the real Rosen. He panics when there's pressure and racks up numbers late like Matt Stafford when he's playing good defenses. He'll be an NFL starter but there's little chance he's the guy you build a franchise around.

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:58 AM   #604
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I agree he does show signs of panic. On the other hand when he has time he can make some very difficult throws into a tight window. Maybe he is the next Jay Cutler. Although, if he gets on the right team with the right coach he could some nice things. He seems very comfortable in a spread offense.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:19 AM   #605
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I agree he does show signs of panic. On the other hand when he has time he can make some very difficult throws into a tight window. Maybe he is the next Jay Cutler. Although, if he gets on the right team with the right coach he could some nice things. He seems very comfortable in a spread offense.

He's better than Cutler. Matt Stafford is the best comp I can think of. Give him time and he'll pick you apart, but at the first sign of trouble he's a mess. I see a lot of 200+ yard 2nd half performances while trailing by 14+ in his future. Even with that, he may be better than Darnold and both are light years ahead of Allen. This QB class, like most, is wildly overrated. It wouldn't surprise me if someone like Mason Rudolph got drafted in the 2nd/3rd round and emerged to be the best of the bunch.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:15 PM   #606
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Rod Gilmore might be the worst announcer I've ever heard

He's always been bad.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:16 PM   #607
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

Can you build a franchise around Matt Stafford, Jay Cutler, Kirk Cousins? Because he definitely at least has the tools to be in that range. I'll agree it's premature to project a HoF career from him.

And actually my biggest worry with him is that it seems like he values a well rounded life & isn't completely obsessed with football. Great trait in a human being, polarizing one in an NFL QB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Exactly. Thats why Minny sucks, they think they are better than what they recruit.

Until they find a coach that realizes what Minny is, they will take their 6 wins and play in NYC in Dec. 26th.
Idk how long he'll stay, but they found a pretty good coach... guy was able to recruit top 40 classes to Western Michigan when they were winning one game & turned that into MAC Championships. I suspect he'll do just fine at Minnesota.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:36 PM   #608
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Can you build a franchise around Matt Stafford, Jay Cutler, Kirk Cousins? Because he definitely at least has the tools to be in that range. I'll agree it's premature to project a HoF career from him.

And actually my biggest worry with him is that it seems like he values a well rounded life & isn't completely obsessed with football. Great trait in a human being, polarizing one in an NFL QB.

I'll agree on that second part. His realization that football isn't everything might hurt him.

As far as building a franchise around those 3 QBs, I don't see any one of them being the guy who wins you a SB because they're just so good. I love having Cousins on the Redskins, and do want them to keep him even for huge money, but I don't think anyone puts him in that elite QB level where guys like Rodgers and Brady exist. I see Rosen as an NFL starter that is good enough to win with, but more so as the piece that pushes you over the top than the guy who gunslings you all the way to the title.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:13 PM   #609
bhlloy
Coordinator

If I needed a QB to start in year 1 or year 2 I'd take Rosen. Darnold is far from ready for the NFL and he's just learning the kind of throws you can't make in college, let alone the pros.

With that being said, I don't know how anyone can deny the potential. If he can land in a good situation down the road he's got the tools to be an absolute stud. Just hope it's not with the Jets where he's expected to be the franchise from day 1, because I don't see that ending well
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:51 PM   #610
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I'll agree on that second part. His realization that football isn't everything might hurt him.

As far as building a franchise around those 3 QBs, I don't see any one of them being the guy who wins you a SB because they're just so good. I love having Cousins on the Redskins, and do want them to keep him even for huge money, but I don't think anyone puts him in that elite QB level where guys like Rodgers and Brady exist. I see Rosen as an NFL starter that is good enough to win with, but more so as the piece that pushes you over the top than the guy who gunslings you all the way to the title.
So Franchise QB is like Ace in baseball, where there's 6-8 guys in a 32 team league? Bad NFL franchises are generally that way because they can't find or develop even an average QB - f.e. the Colts have a terrible owner & are a poorly run organization, but because they lucked into having #1 when Peyton Manning & Andrew Luck were eligible they've made the playoffs a lot in the last 20 years.

I don't think Rosen or Darnold is in the same category those two were, but both clearly seem like worthy top 10 picks to me, and I guess we're just at the stage in the cycle where people feel the need to point out flaws & claim they're massively overrated because of those flaws instead of just saying, yeah they're both really good prospects, and seem like nice enough people they don't deserve to be drafted by the Jets.

Fwiw on Rudolph I haven't watched him enough to have an opinion on his game awareness, but he seems to have the arm talent & really lack pocket awareness/athleticism to elude the rush, so I could easily see him being very context dependent in the NFL.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:57 PM   #611
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Fwiw on Rudolph I haven't watched him enough to have an opinion on his game awareness, but he seems to have the arm talent & really lack pocket awareness/athleticism to elude the rush, so I could easily see him being very context dependent in the NFL.

Awareness and consistency are my biggest issues with Rudolph. Certain weeks he looks like a rock solid top 15 pick while other times he looks like the team he is playing has invented a style of defense that the game has never seen before. At this point in time he needs a lot of time to get through his progressions so he takes a lot of sacks. Id like to see him be able to improvise better when everything isnt going as planned.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-24-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:25 PM   #612
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
yeah they're both really good prospects, and seem like nice enough people

Honestly, I can't think of a much more deserving fate for a whiny bitch like Rosen than to be drafted by the Jets ... unless the Browns want another QB.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:50 PM   #613
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Awareness and consistency are my biggest issues with Rudolph. Certain weeks he looks like a rock solid top 15 pick while other times he looks like the team he is playing has invented a style of defense that the game has never seen before. At this point in time he needs a lot of time to get through his progressions so he takes a lot of sacks. Id like to see him be able to improvise better when everything isnt going as planned.
I've seen talk about the Oklahoma State offense where they only have 15 plays (with a lot of package concepts), and put the whole thing in in like one day of Spring practice, so I could see it being very susceptible to a good defensive gameplan - and someone like Gary Patterson who's seen it for years now probably has some tricks for it. Obviously talent still wins a lot, but I'm not sure that offense gives him a much leeway to improvise (and certainly not to audible.)
Old 09-25-2017, 03:24 PM   #614
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

So Gundy's mullet is longer than his playbook.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:31 PM   #615
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa travels to MSU. Always a tough game for Iowa. These teams are very similar.

Big game. Hope the defense is too beat up after allowing 99 plays. Hope the team isnt emotionally down after a roller coaster ride last Saturday.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:13 PM   #616
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Lovie Smith's purpose in life is to save other coaches jobs for at least another week.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:16 PM   #617
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Lovie Smith's purpose in life is to save other coaches jobs for at least another week.

Poor Lovie. His team is young. All his eggs are in this basket though. These kids dont mature, Illinois is looking again.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:11 PM   #618
MrBug708
Head Coach

86 yard run, throw on the next three plays. The more Darnold throws, the more his stock drops. His running ability is his saving grace
Old 09-29-2017, 11:18 PM   #619
Butter
Coordinator

Wazzu's defensive coordinator's last name is Grinch.

That's awesome.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:54 AM   #620
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Must keep eyes open.
Great game.
Missed 1st Half, watching my son's hs team win 55-19...now digging this as I nod.

I love Leach....

But got up for work at 3:15 am today....too old for this ish.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:09 AM   #621
MrBug708
Head Coach

It was a good game. Leach earned it tonight
Old 09-30-2017, 01:13 AM   #622
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Wizzou with a huge win. USC finally got what was coming and Darnold's Heisman chances went from slim to nil.

Not sure how people can criticize Rosen yet brag up Darnold at the same time. Darnold has has not been impressive this year.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:19 AM   #623
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Wizzou with a huge win. USC finally got what was coming and Darnold's Heisman chances went from slim to nil.

Not sure how people can criticize Rosen yet brag up Darnold at the same time. Darnold has has not been impressive this year.

Darnold had a great offensive line and WR corp last year. This year hasn't been the same and while he's had some good moments, he's got 8 INT's already and has been as careless as Rosen with the ball, it just caught up with him at the end of the game. Rosen isn't great under pressure, but the OL at SC is still better than what we have at UCLA and Darnold couldn't handle the pressure tonight. He really needs another year in college. I truly think if you have Rosen at SC, they cakewalk into the college playoffs

Leach with a great line. "It's like woodstock out here, but everyone has their clothes on"
Old 09-30-2017, 05:34 AM   #624
tarcone
Coordinator

Barkley is winning the Heisman this year.

I watched the 1st half. Had to go to bed. Daughters run at 9 am and 2 hours away.

Wish I could have stayed up to watch. Sounds like a good one.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:50 AM   #625
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:

Darnold's TD/INT is much worse this year than last. Completion % and Y/A are the same. Of course, Winston took a big step back in year 2 at FSU and has been good as a pro so it may not matter.

Rosen hasn't been anything special at any time. I don't get the hype for either one of them as neither seems like a sure thing, but maybe they're both just trying to avoid playing for the Jets. I could easily see guys like Rudolph and Falk being better in the NFL.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 09-30-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:32 AM   #626
Butter
Coordinator

Always fun watching the replay... there's only 3 minutes left on the replay, but 1:40 left in the game. How will this game end so quickly?

That's how.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:10 AM   #627
RedKingGold
College Starter

So, as an "armchair scout" who has spent a lot of free time reading on traits of successful quarterbacks and what to look for, I am of the firm belief that Falk is the best quarterback prospect in this year's class.

I love his pocket presence and accuracy. He took a few hits last night, but he kept his eyes downfield and went through his progressions while moving his feat. He has a nice compact delivery with quick release. You can't argue with 77% completion percentage. I also like the fact that he is a senior with several years of experience. I think he is a "day one" starter and hope like hell the 49er's can get him.

I think Darnold and Rosen are good prospects, but as mentioned above, they have inexperience issues. I think they are also a bit too careless with the ball, and Darnold in particular drops his eye level too quickly. I have not watched enough of Allen or Rudolph to have an opinion yet.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:35 AM   #628
Logan
Head Coach

Falk will need to develop quicker feet in the NFL. There were points last night when he was standing still like a statue. First I've watched him legitimately from start to finish so maybe that was a rare occurrence. But agree that I liked pretty much everything else from him.

Darnold needs to work on those sailing throws when pressured.

Last edited by Logan : 09-30-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:43 AM   #629
MrBug708
Head Coach

The system he throws in is almost as worrisome as his slow feet and his concussion history
Old 09-30-2017, 09:36 AM   #630
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Falk will need to develop quicker feet in the NFL. There were points last night when he was standing still like a statue. First I've watched him legitimately from start to finish so maybe that was a rare occurrence. But agree that I liked pretty much everything else from him.

Darnold needs to work on those sailing throws when pressured.

I think it is something he needs to improve on, but he also showed good feel to move in the pocket when pressure was coming.

Quote:
The system he throws in is almost as worrisome as his slow feet and his concussion history

I think this is an overrated concerns and how scouting mistakes happen, a la Connor Cook and his pro style offense over Dak Prescott. Traits are the most important thing when projecting forward.
Old 09-30-2017, 10:14 AM   #631
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Okay, some of these signs seem to make no sense.

"Dabo chews tomato sauce" WTF?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:17 AM   #632
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Big win for WSU, but they had perfect timing - USC was already beat-up heading into that game and lost two more starting OL so they were down three, plus their top defender (Gustin) and WR (Mitchell). Now WSU will have to go on the road finally after five straight home games.

Falk is a good QB for that system, but he holds on to the ball too long, doesn't have high-end arm strength and isn't that mobile. He'll get his shot in the NFL, but I don't see him as a high-end guy. Not to mention he's been seriously banged-up and is carrying several concussions in his history already.

USC coaches are stupid. Pendergast blitzed too much early in the game and it burned him - best way to play that offense (especially with the talent level the Trojans possess) is to rush 3 or 4 and drop the rest into coverage, keep everything in front of you and tackle well in space. Martin showed no patience with the run game - Jones had only 14 carries all game. Darnold has a lot of talent, but behind a tattered OL he was constantly harassed and rarely had time to find his receivers, and made a lot of off-target throws.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:41 AM   #633
Butter
Coordinator

Written like a bitter U-dub fan.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:00 PM   #634
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

USC was down 10 starters last night and had 2 freshman playing at both tackles. WSU has had 4 easy games all at home. USC has been battered in some big games. No surprise USC lost last night. Without a bye all season, I knew they were not going undefeated.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-30-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:03 PM   #635
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
USC was down 10 starters last night and had 2 freshman playing at both tackles. WSU has had 4 easy games all at home. USC has been battered in some big games. No surprise USC lost last night. Without a bye all season, I knew they were not going undefeated.

Boise St isn't an easy game.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:05 PM   #636
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Also, arm strength is the most overrated aspect of QB play. David Klingler had a monster arm and couldn't play a lick. As long as you have enough to make the throws, that's all you need. The cannon arm isn't necessary and people seem to lose their minds for that one skill while ignoring the rest of the QB package.

Falk's arm seems plenty strong for the NFL. The concussions are the biggest concern.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:18 PM   #637
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Also, arm strength is the most overrated aspect of QB play. David Klingler had a monster arm and couldn't play a lick. As long as you have enough to make the throws, that's all you need. The cannon arm isn't necessary and people seem to lose their minds for that one skill while ignoring the rest of the QB package.

Falk's arm seems plenty strong for the NFL. The concussions are the biggest concern.

Not to try and merge politics, but that was always one of the issues with Kaepernick. It doesn't matter how hard or far you can throw the ball if you can't also throw it accurately.

IMO, give me a QB who is accurate, with a quick release and great pocket presence and he will
have the pertinent skills to succeed.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 09-30-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:19 PM   #638
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

DJ vs PJ has been fun so far. Maryland and Minnesota seem to be in good hands for as long as they can hold onto their coaches.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:29 PM   #639
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Can anyone DM a link to the ESPN Gameday intro from today? Missed it.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:01 PM   #640
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

10 starters? From last year to this year? What happened to the arrogance from SC where the motto has always been: "We don't rebuild we reload." Not much reloading last night.

Last edited by MrBug708 : 09-30-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:02 PM   #641
tarcone
Coordinator

Go Hawks!

Old 09-30-2017, 01:45 PM   #642
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post

Falk is a good QB for that system, but he holds on to the ball too long, doesn't have high-end arm strength and isn't that mobile. He'll get his shot in the NFL, but I don't see him as a high-end guy. Not to mention he's been seriously banged-up and is carrying several concussions in his history already.

USC coaches are stupid. Pendergast blitzed too much early in the game and it burned him - best way to play that offense (especially with the talent level the Trojans possess) is to rush 3 or 4 and drop the rest into coverage, keep everything in front of you and tackle well in space. Martin showed no patience with the run game - Jones had only 14 carries all game. Darnold has a lot of talent, but behind a tattered OL he was constantly harassed and rarely had time to find his receivers, and made a lot of off-target throws.

PFF College Football ✔@PFF_College
Pressure played a big role in this QB matchup last night.

Under pressure:
Falk: 4-of-9, 1 TD, 58 yds
Darnold: 2-of-9, 1 INT, 24 yds

The Apple cup is going to be like the 2008 apple.cup

Last edited by MrBug708 : 09-30-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #643
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The deal with Florida QBs is really something.

Franks is the hero vs UT
Franks gets benched last week, Del Rio rallies them past Kentucky
Del Rio gets hurt today, Franks leads a 2nd half win over Vandy (17-17 at half)

And there they sit, unbeaten & leading the (L)east. Again.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:41 PM   #644
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
PFF College Football ✔@PFF_College
Pressure played a big role in this QB matchup last night.

Under pressure:
Falk: 4-of-9, 1 TD, 58 yds
Darnold: 2-of-9, 1 INT, 24 yds

The Apple cup is going to be like the 2008 apple.cup

Old 09-30-2017, 02:44 PM   #645
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Tennessee and Georgia playing "Anything you can do I can do worser" in the first 90 seconds of the game. Dormady and Fromm both look lost to start the game.

I wonder how many times Wake and FSU have played when Wake was undefeated and FSU winless.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 09-30-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:56 PM   #646
miked
College Starter

Just got back from the GT game (wish I could watch Rutgers tonight but not BIG network). GT has played some bad opponents, but the D looks sharp.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #647
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I wonder how many times Wake and FSU have played when Wake was undefeated and FSU winless.

Looks like 1973.

They met in the season opener that year (on Sept 15th) and Wake won 9-7.
FSU finished 0-11 under coach Larry Jones.
Wake went 1-9-1, managing a tie in week 9 vs Duke. (Lost to Richmond and W&M that year)
Old 09-30-2017, 03:24 PM   #648
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Having to explain to Georgia fans that "no, Dormady IS the 'good' QB for Tennessee" really kinda explains just how bad things are in Knoxville this year.

#FireButch
Old 09-30-2017, 03:53 PM   #649
tarcone
Coordinator

Not sure how we almost beat PsU. But MSU is kicking our arse. Going to be a long day.

Old 09-30-2017, 04:15 PM   #650
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

You know what'll be ugly? UT vs Vandy.

You know what might be even uglier? Thank God UT doesn't play FSU this year.